E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #21
B18c1turboedek

My Ride: 2002 330ci
I can't understand how everyone thinks 6-7k for a turbo kit is a good deal. Besides nick g being able to tune your car that turbo kit isn't worth it. You can piece a very nice turbo kit system for under 3k with the best of the best of parts. I don't see nothing special in these turbo kits besides the tune.
B18c1turboedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:03 PM   #22
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 1000rwhp Turbo M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by B18c1turboedek View Post
I can't understand how everyone thinks 6-7k for a turbo kit is a good deal. Besides nick g being able to tune your car that turbo kit isn't worth it. You can piece a very nice turbo kit system for under 3k with the best of the best of parts. I don't see nothing special in these turbo kits besides the tune.
Prove NickG wrong! I dare you and make sure you post vids!
Old 05-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #23
B18c1turboedek

I'm not trying to prove his tuning wrong, just his over pricing
Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #24
r111093

My Ride: '04 330xi
Find a way to do it cheaper then. You think it's overpriced? I think it takes years of experience and knowledge most don't have.
If turbo kits were cheap we'd all have them.
r111093 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:19 PM   #25
NickG

My Ride: 2011 BMW 550i M-Spor
Quote:
I'm not trying to prove his tuning wrong, just his over pricing
Then make your own kit and document EVERY cost incurred with its development. Don't forget that you have to charge for your labor too, and not at $2/hr, but at a reasonable shop/fabrication rate.

Oh, and don't forget the cost of the dyno rental/usage during the tuning. My development process on the E46 kits easily had 500+ software revisions, along with at least 50-100 hours on the dyno.

Let us know what your final cost is with all that work. I'm sure you'll come in WAY cheaper than what our kits cost, and you'll be finished with the install and have a running car in less than the 2 day install our kits usually require
Old 05-07-2014, 09:41 PM   #26
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
I have read countless paragraphs like this over the years, and none of the authors have followed through with this "simple" task. Most also fail to contribute anything meaningful to the board.

Those of us that build projects have a different opinion.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:06 AM   #27
MarcusLSB

My Ride: X5, CT200h, CLK63 BS
Quote:
You're so far off basis I can only assume you're trolling.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
MarcusLSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:29 AM   #28
B18c1turboedek

I'm not discrediting his work. But I have put quality turbo kits toghter for supras and gtr and have spent way less then 6k. I guess it does help when you have dealer accounts. I have started piecing a turbo kit toghter and will post all the parts and prices I have paid and show that it can be done cheaper if you have the right tools and knowledge . It's not rocket science . Only difficult part is the running the stock dme
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #29
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
I'm not discrediting his work. But I have put quality turbo kits toghter for supras and gtr and have spent way less then 6k. I guess it does help when you have dealer accounts. I have started piecing a turbo kit toghter and will post all the parts and prices I have paid and show that it can be done cheaper if you have the right tools and knowledge . It's not rocket science . Only difficult part is the running the stock dme
Why don't you contact NIVO? He took delivery of a tuning system about 1.5 years ago....
Old 05-08-2014, 12:09 PM   #30
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Haha FVCK YES!!! I can't wait to see your build thread!
Old 05-08-2014, 12:13 PM   #31
tuby

My Ride: 2000 328ci silver
I would like to see someone try this kit out. the only thing i would do it get a real turbo like a garrett or something not cheap ebay one. Also you would have to get it tune for sure. I look forward to seeing the op do this! If you know how a basic turbo system works and have some fabrication skills you should be fine. I'm also looking into buy a kit like this and just swapping the turbo with a t25 i have from a Eclipse
Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #32
Commanderwiggin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuby View Post
I would like to see someone try this kit out. the only thing i would do it get a real turbo like a garrett or something not cheap ebay one. Also you would have to get it tune for sure. I look forward to seeing the op do this! If you know how a basic turbo system works and have some fabrication skills you should be fine. I'm also looking into buy a kit like this and just swapping the turbo with a t25 i have from a Eclipse
Seriously man unless you go with the Technique Tuning kit...don't bother. Cheap, custom turbo kits and these cars don't go together.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:04 PM   #33
Rob43
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 03 331Ci 5spd R1200R
I understand what the naysayers (Guys wanting Ebay type turbos) are stating, let's make a few assumptions (please no assumption jokes) for a moment.

1) Let's assume that a guy that buys a cheap Ebay turbo kit won't bother with meeting any state or federal emissions standards, saving a considerable amount just from a parts & fabrication stand point. The Technique Tuning kit on the other hand meets either 49 or 50 state Federal Emissions requirements, this of course COSTS a lot of development money. The end result is this, on one hand we have a "Pile" of Ebay universal turbo parts that cost very little. On the other hand we have a fully thought out quality kit that not only is a straight bolt on, but comes with a perfect working tune.

2) The "Tune" is the key ingredient to making a Turbo E46 BMW run properly. Anyone coming from the Honda arena doesn't understand this at first, because it is common to turbo & tune any Honda. They assume that for a small amount of money, they should be able to get the "Tune" dialed in, this of course is not how it works with a BMW ECU. Tuning a MS43 or MS45.1 is a very difficult task, Nick G. is one of only a few guys that have mastered this.

So using these assumptions: 1) No emissions or parts spent on that, 2) A Tune that costs very little & is easy to install.

A person with some fabrication skills could buy an Ebay type turbo kit with a proven cheap tune & get a BMW to run quite well. This of course is not reality though, as anyone coming from the Honda world soon finds out.

Here's a real story for you: A few years ago (while in Mexico) a slick little Honda Civic pulls up to me at a red light, I'm in my 330Ci with a very strong N/A setup. My Bimmer is running flawless this outing & let's say for the sake of saying that my heavily modded motor is making about 250 WHP. Well the both of us get into it and the next thing I know is that my A$$ just got handed to me, the Honda literally ran away from me. Of course I'm thinking this must have been a fluke so I motion to him to run again, this time I'm ready for him. It does go better for me this time, he only walks away from me, but anyone reading this still knows I got my a$$ handed to me twice by this Honda. We're both at the next light & I ask him what he's running, he tells me "It's turbocharged making about 350 WHP", in the moments left I asked what that cost him and he responded with "Less than $3K".

So I do understand when some new forum member that comes here from the Honda world say's, "I'm going to buy an Ebay turbocharger" ; and we all laugh, because we know the reality.

Rob #43 ITS/ITR/STU, BMW 325I, STU LAP RECORD
SUMMIT POINT WV 1:24:229 SCCA
(DynoDynamics https:vimeo.com/8486878 Dyno Video)
"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

I BUILD SUSPENSIONS (Consult) FROM MILD TO WILD FOR RWD & Xi E46's
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerX View Post
Nitrous is a little trickier than boost, but it's not the spray that kills motors, it's STUPIDITY!!
I Know How To Fix The Rear "Bouncing" Problem On Your Cheap Coilovers Like: Jom RL FK SE & RK.

Last edited by Rob43; 05-08-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Rob43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 06:41 PM   #34
BDUB328I

My Ride: bmw 328i S54 sedan (
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
I have read countless paragraphs like this over the years, and none of the authors have followed through with this "simple" task. Most also fail to contribute anything meaningful to the board.

Those of us that build projects have a different opinion.
+1 I can't even remember how many times I have read things like this. I'm all about DIY (I put s54 in my sedan) but I would never even consider trying to piece together a turbo kit. It would b so many head aches and it would run like complete crap it would never b worth it.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #35
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
Quote:
There are talk about its and there are be about its, which are you?

05 ZHP w/Epic tuned s54, Euro headers&Sect.1, Dinan 3.91 and a lot of other things built by Road Race Technologies

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 05-10-2015 at 03:25 PM.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:41 PM   #36
NIVO

My Ride: 2004 330Ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to NIVO
If you have no idea about cars, tuning, welding, engineering. stay with an off the shelf, already made kit either S/C or Turbocharger.

Technically the only thing for the E46 in the CX "kit" is the manifold other then that everything else is universal stuff.

www.E46Turbo330Ci.com
WARNING: This modification is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm due to the extreme G forces once turbo kicks in. ~ Nivo
The rest of my signature is reserved for pointless modification bits like: Halos | window Tint | carbon fiber roundels | short shifter
NIVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:55 AM   #37
aahmed2016

My Ride: 2003 330i ZSP/CP/PP
Noob question, but since the F/I gods are here, might as well ask.
Isn't our intake manifold made of plastic, like, is it possible for it to, under high load, basically shatter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercForHire View Post
Spends $2000 on car DVD + stereo -> Running 25000 mile oil changes and 87 gas with blown shocks
aahmed2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:12 AM   #38
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahmed2016 View Post
Noob question, but since the F/I gods are here, might as well ask.
Isn't our intake manifold made of plastic, like, is it possible for it to, under high load, basically shatter?
Put enough pressure in there, and sure it will crack. But it's not likely.

I know of one person that has tested to 35 PSI, and it held.

I know of another boosting to 15 psi, and had a crack. But in this case, I think the manifold must have been damaged in that location beforehand.

Another guy in Sweden has run over 20 psi no problem. By well over 20 psi, I mean something substantial as I believe they ran up to 800rwhp before switching to another intake manifold.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #39
B18c1turboedek

What is a good ems or piggy back setup? I have been looking into everything from aem, unchip,pro efi and so forth.
I have a motec m800 I thought about trying to wire up as a piggy back but think it's a little over kill
Old 05-10-2015, 12:17 AM   #40
Byte[]

My Ride: 2004 325Ci
I'm currently attempting it on my 325ci (while I am getting misfire codes and could potentially have a fried ECU, great idea huh?). I wish you luck.
Picture of my turbo, I love this thing.
Byte[] is offline   Reply With Quote