E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-21-2017, 10:17 AM   #1
SuperFan86

My Ride: '14 Jeep GC
Should we kill my Mom's Cat

Figured OT could have fun with this, but a srs family drama in my family.

Mom has a 19 year old cat with diabetes, osteoporosis, blindness and no teeth. She is the last of the 4 "original cats" adopted when we were kids. The others were all put down due to advanced disease, my animal loving mother cannot stand to see this one go.

She dotes over this cat. The cat requires daily attention and medication which prevents my parents from enjoying retirement. No overnight trips, no major outings, and mom is constantly emotional thinking about the cat dying.

She refuses to put her down saying that "The cat will tell me when she is ready to go." The cat is starving to death and is on heavy pain meds. She just lays on a cat bed all day.

My wife and I have discussed with Dad and Brother and decided the best option is to just kill the cat. My wife is a formal paramedic and knows what dose of the pain meds the cat is on will make it fall asleep and never wake up.

We were thinking of doing this next time we are in town. It is very unlikely, but possible that Mom will find the overdose.

OT: Do you kill the Cat or let it live out the next X number of months.

I was going to make a poll, but I'm 12 and don't understand the internet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.
SuperFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:20 AM   #2
boostedisbetter

My Ride: NiNe tHoUsAnD!!!
in
Old 03-21-2017, 10:24 AM   #3
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon
It's a cat, so yeah it shouldn't be alive in the first place

Sent from my SM-G925V using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 03-21-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I would do that. Your mom is actually doing the cat a great disservice by keeping it alive like that, in constant pain and/or drugged out like a zombie.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Are there any places nearby that could take custody of the cat? Preferably a chinese restaurant?
Old 03-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #6
Rif Raf

My Ride: 2001 330i w/ Sport
Turn it into a quad-copter, then your mom can continue to enjoy it for years to come...
Old 03-21-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rif Raf View Post
Turn it into a quad-copter, then your mom can continue to enjoy it for years to come...
just because I miss the video

Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
You mean wreck yo mom's pvssy? No thanks, bruh.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:52 AM   #9
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaderdave View Post
i would do that. Your mom is actually doing the cat a great disservice by keeping it alive like that, in constant pain and/or drugged out like a zombie.
+1
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:23 AM   #10
SuperFan86

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I would do that. Your mom is actually doing the cat a great disservice by keeping it alive like that, in constant pain and/or drugged out like a zombie.
We all agree that the cat's quality of life is horrible. She literally lays in a big cat bed all day bombed out on prescription pain killers. My mom drags her to and from the laundry room (where the cats sleep). It is comical.

I'm a huge animal lover, so I feel obligated to end the suffering, but I also feel obligated to not deceive my own family member. If she was to find out, I can't even imagine her reaction.

Quote:
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:29 AM   #11
Silver_Surfer

My Ride: 2006 Lotus Exige
I would have a sit down with your Mom and let her know your plans, it's not what she wants to hear, but she will feel even worse if you go behind her back. Give her the chance to be with the cat during the procedure, and do it at the vet. The vet will ask if you want to be in the room or not, always stay in the room. The animal looks for you when you leave.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #12
SuperFan86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
I would have a sit down with your Mom and let her know your plans, it's not what she wants to hear, but she will feel even worse if you go behind her back. Give her the chance to be with the cat during the procedure, and do it at the vet. The vet will ask if you want to be in the room or not, always stay in the room. The animal looks for you when you leave.
She has put down 7 cats in her life. She has been there for all of them. Logical conversations have not worked. Her response is always "The cat isn't ready. She looks at me in the eyes and I still see her will to live."

We all know she is really saying "I'm not ready to let the last remnant of my life with children at home go."

Quote:
Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #13
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
Considering how much it affects your mom's lifestyle, I would say yes. Even though that's messed up. 19 years is a long time for a cat anyway. Mine usually don't make it that long before something eats them.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #14
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
You kill the cat and bury it in a pet cemetery. Next day, cat comes back good as new. Shouldn't be an issue.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:37 AM   #15
GasKing
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 1990 Yugo GVC
Only if you recreate that scene from reservoir dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 03-21-2017, 11:41 AM   #16
boostedisbetter

why do you have a speedtest as your sig?
Old 03-21-2017, 12:01 PM   #17
lexpression

My Ride: '08 Audi RS4
Send a message via AIM to lexpression
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
You kill the cat and bury it in a pet cemetery. Next day, cat comes back good as new. Shouldn't be an issue.
Oh man, I remember that movie. Winston Churchill!

Past: 2011 E92 M3 | 2011 Audi S4 | 2008 TT FJ Cruiser | 2007 Audi A4 | 2004 Audi S4
lexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:27 PM   #18
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:36 PM   #19
boostedisbetter

^lol that pistol has some ammo I've never seen before
Old 03-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #20
trizzuth

My Ride: 231k, 16yr old B3AST
Don't betray mom forever.

She's obviously so attached to this cat she'd rather let it suffer than help it move on in peace.

There is no help for your mom or you, so stay out of the situation and let it pan out. Her loss if it impacts her ability to enjoy her retirement.

Bring home another younger, robust cat to kick this cat's ass into oblivion, then it won't be your fault or hers, it will be the new cats. As the old one passes away, she can take comfort and joy in the fact that a new cat is now there.