E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-26-2017, 04:34 AM   #1
indee321

About to buy ess vt1.. advice needed please !

Hi all.. i have 323 with 60k on it. Ive done loads of mods with the intention of originally mapping it whilst N/A. Ive recently decided the only way to go is to supercharge. My question is this.. i have fitted the m54b30 inlet manifold and disa. I have NOT fitted larger injectors mine are standard. Ive also fitted the schmiedmann 5254 headers and cats downpipe. Ive also changed the diff ratio from 3:07 to 3:38. I havent tuned the car and im pretty sure the increased air volume is messing with fuel trims as a result.

Before i purchase the essv1 is it a good idea to tell them about the intake and exhaust manifold so they are aware my set up isnt standard ( as its clearly having an effect on the air / fuel ratio and is no longer standard) or will the included ecu flash take the mods into account abd map within 'parameteres' ?

Basically what im asking is can the mods have a negative effect unless they are taken into account when mapping the the ess system.

I have lost a fair bit of torque as a result of fitting the intake ( to be expected until remap ) worried that loss will be carried over

Also.. the pics i see of engine bays with this system do not seem to have the cone shielded to protect from engine bay heat.. should the cone be shielded? Best position for it ?

Thanks

Sent from my SM-A300FU using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by indee321; 03-26-2017 at 06:13 AM.
indee321 is online now   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-27-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
indee321

No one?

Old 03-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #3
Davew
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
You need to email ESS directly with these questions. Going back when I bought my TS kit I emailed them in regards to mods that were current on the car and the tune worked. I wouldn't say it was optimised, but the car was much more fun after fitment

The ESS VT-1 kit is a much newer addition to their range, so I doubt as many diyers have started messing with the kit to know the answers to your questions.
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
indee321

^ thanks
Old 04-01-2017, 01:12 PM   #5
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
In my experience, ESS is a pain in the ass if you have power modifications in addition to their baseline kits. They won't be very helpful in any troubleshooting unless you first take off the other stuff. I love my ESS TS2 kit, but this is something to be aware of going into it.

Build thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696662
Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
indee321

^ thanks.. going on your advise i think i'll be speaking to them before i make the purchse , tell them about the mods , and try to get some mind of assurance they will help not hinder .. i also have rouge engineering underdrive pullies. I think the pully belt size would have to be adjusted acordingly ? so yes communication before is key i think

Old 04-01-2017, 04:00 PM   #7
Davew
OEM ///Member

Super charger rotation is based off the crank pulley, the other pulleys won't change the speed of charger rotation. ESS usually recommends standard rather than underdrive pulleys I believe, but I think this is more so as the new belt they supply will only fit standard pulleys. If you keep the under drive pulleys, you will have to size the belt yourself.
Old 04-01-2017, 04:49 PM   #8
indee321

REALLY?? i would of thought for the price we pay for the kit they could go the extra mile ( customer service, quality item they should want to install trouble free ) and supply a suitably sized belt ! Surely they must know how to deal with simple customised mods and adapt the kits they supply accordingly ??

Old 04-01-2017, 05:18 PM   #9
Davew
OEM ///Member

With ESS from my experience, you ask the right questions before buying the kit, and the answer is usually "sure, that should work", you buy the kit, have teething issues, ESS blames everything but the kit (which is fair as most issues would be install/prior issue, but also a massive pain if it is actually a defective part of the kit), then when you dyno after everything is sorted and you don't have a base dyno from before instal (and results are no where near advertised), it is because you put it on a rubbish dyno.

And of course my personal favourite, when asking about upgrading the kit to a stage they don't offer, or for custom tuning, "you will blow up your engine".

I'm always divided in recommending ESS. Their hardware is pretty solid, excluding silicone hoses imo, but customer service has always been an issue for me, most frustratingly that when you ask multiple questions, they usually only answer the ones they want to, and then your follow up email regarding unanswered questions goes unanswered also.
Old 04-02-2017, 12:25 AM   #10
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
LOL, these are some of the reasons i went with nitrous many years ago, plus i've never lost a fight to a super charged non m when at the track. nitrous equals torque, something stage 1 sc'ers don't have much of.

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Special Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

E46 M3's are just tasty snacks i eat for lunch.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 04:22 AM   #11
indee321

I havent looked into nitrous too much. Im open to all options. Im guessing there are a number of quality kit manufactors can i have some names ?

Old 04-02-2017, 10:11 AM   #12
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
In my experience, ESS is a pain in the ass if you have power modifications in addition to their baseline kits. They won't be very helpful in any troubleshooting unless you first take off the other stuff. I love my ESS TS2 kit, but this is something to be aware of going into it.

agree

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:32 AM   #13
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
Quote:
Originally Posted by indee321 View Post
REALLY?? i would of thought for the price we pay for the kit they could go the extra mile ( customer service, quality item they should want to install trouble free ) and supply a suitably sized belt ! Surely they must know how to deal with simple customised mods and adapt the kits they supply accordingly ??

no they Dont

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:55 AM   #14
Alpine-E39

My Ride: E39 ESS TS1
I second davew. I don't know if I'd recommend them. Customer service is subpar. Also, I bought my TS used on eBay, needed some extra few parts from ESS and they totally screwed me. One of the highlights was that they charged me $65 for a gates microV belt that anywhere else would cost 20. I ended up with a $1400 bill, and they forgot to ship my order for over a month! Good thing I wasn't yet ready to install the kit. I had to call to remind them I never got my order. Psssh.

When I was having issues with no boost at low rpm, I asked them for the boost curve of a properly operating TS1 kit. Many emails later they finally sent me the curve that was clearly from a centrifugal kit. Useless.
Alpine-E39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #15
SK330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by indee321 View Post
I havent looked into nitrous too much. Im open to all options. Im guessing there are a number of quality kit manufactors can i have some names ?

if nitrous sounds interesting, read this thread carefully. if you think it might be a possibility, read it again a few days later. all of these different f/i systems have their pluses n minuses, centri sc's cost about 4 times as much at first and offer alittle less performance. a nice well built nitrous system costs 4 times less and offers more performance at the 75 whp setting. you need to make sure that you can get bottle refills close to your home and the refill cost imo should be under $60 for your 10LBS bottle, $50 would be even better. for more great info read away,,

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...165&highlight=

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Special Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

Last edited by SK330ci; 04-02-2017 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 05:15 PM   #16
Alpine-E39

My Ride: E39 ESS TS1
Ive never used nitrous.
Obviously the number of shots per tank depends on shot size. I don't consider nitrous a mod for daily drivers. Tank valve should be turned on only when intended to be used? A supercharger/turbo is always ready, just push the gas pedal a little further.
Alpine-E39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 05:40 PM   #17
SK330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine-E39 View Post
Ive never used nitrous.
Obviously the number of shots per tank depends on shot size. I don't consider nitrous a mod for daily drivers. Tank valve should be turned on only when intended to be used? A supercharger/turbo is always ready, just push the gas pedal a little further.
everything in life has its pluses n minuses,,

i prefer the greater performance that i get for 3 to 4 times less the money, centri sc'ers have maybe have 45 wheel torque compared to my 90 nitrous wheel torque. i certainly don't need to engage my nitrous on every outing, but when i do watch out.

Last edited by SK330ci; 04-02-2017 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:55 PM   #18
rkneeshaw

My Ride: 330i ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davew View Post
With ESS from my experience, you ask the right questions before buying the kit, and the answer is usually "sure, that should work", you buy the kit, have teething issues, ESS blames everything but the kit (which is fair as most issues would be install/prior issue, but also a massive pain if it is actually a defective part of the kit), then when you dyno after everything is sorted and you don't have a base dyno from before instal (and results are no where near advertised), it is because you put it on a rubbish dyno.

And of course my personal favourite, when asking about upgrading the kit to a stage they don't offer, or for custom tuning, "you will blow up your engine".

I'm always divided in recommending ESS. Their hardware is pretty solid, excluding silicone hoses imo, but customer service has always been an issue for me, most frustratingly that when you ask multiple questions, they usually only answer the ones they want to, and then your follow up email regarding unanswered questions goes unanswered also.
This. So true. Sad really. The hardware is really good IMO. But AJ and crew have been down right awful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine-E39 View Post
Ive never used nitrous.
I never saw the point of nitrious. I want the power all the time and not have to worry about "filling the tank" or how many "shots" before its gone. I guess I can see if you are only interested in drag racing and only want your power for those 13 brief seconds... but then I wonder why you would buy a BMW instead of a muscle car.

Build thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=696662
Wheelwell: 2003 BMW 3 Series
Fuelly: 2003 BMW 330i
rkneeshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 07:24 PM   #19
Radnor

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkneeshaw View Post
This. So true. Sad really. The hardware is really good IMO. But AJ and crew have been down right awful.

I never saw the point of nitrious. I want the power all the time and not have to worry about "filling the tank" or how many "shots" before its gone. I guess I can see if you are only interested in drag racing and only want your power for those 13 brief seconds... but then I wonder why you would buy a BMW instead of a muscle car.
I'd rather have a faster car sometimes, than a slower car all the time. Score one for nitrous.
Radnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 09:53 PM   #20
2000_328CI

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Just recognize the true costs of the project. I went in thinking "oh great supercharger, headers, gauges, meth... cool"..... ended up replacing almost every spark plug, coil pack, sensor, etc... and did it for rather little in the performance category. You'll get a lot more "horsepower" but the "oomph" experienced in the seat won't be all that dramatic (in my experience anyway)

| 435 HP 328Ci | RRT Racing | Designer Wraps | Active Autowerke | Vorsteiner | STATUS Racing |
Timeless Motor Group
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote