E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 10:25 PM   #1
vargaskid35

My Ride: bmw 2001 330i
BMW forced induction, turbo/supercharger

Hi I am looking to get more info on getting a turbo or supercharger on my 01 330i. It is automatic and I was looking for either of the two, are there any kits y'all would recommend? I don't want anything too expensive
vargaskid35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-10-2017, 12:12 AM   #2
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
How much can you spend? How old is your coolant setup? How old is the gearbox oil/filter?

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:13 AM   #3
Chase.bandz

My Ride: 2002 325i Manual
Unless your willing to start upgrading the internals, you're gonna want to go supercharger. The supercharger kits are generally cheaper also.

Don't do it
Chase.bandz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:20 AM   #4
vargaskid35

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
How much can you spend? How old is your coolant setup? How old is the gearbox oil/filter?
Well I honestly don't have a price in mind but wanna go as cheap possible, I want the cheapest well known/ reliable kit
And I've only reolaced the expansion tank, both radiator hose, the thermostat, and the mechanical fan
Old 04-10-2017, 12:21 AM   #5
vargaskid35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase.bandz View Post
Unless your willing to start upgrading the internals, you're gonna want to go supercharger. The supercharger kits are generally cheaper also.

Don't do it
Any supercharger kits you'd suggest?
Old 04-10-2017, 12:40 AM   #6
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
ess and vf offer the 2 cheapest kits at about $4200, a well built nitrous kit with all needed safety items will cost about $1200.

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Special Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

E46 M3's are just tasty snacks i eat for lunch.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 12:58 AM   #7
E46Envyy

My Ride: 04 330ci Auto
Check out the forced induction section.

By the time it's all said and done you'll easily be 5-6k into it, especially if you tranny decides to break. Someone was trying to do a cheep turbo install and I think he's currently rebuilding his whole rear end due to subframe issues

Good luck, Lachlan

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
E46Envyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:33 AM   #8
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: '03 325Ci + '05 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by vargaskid35 View Post
Well I honestly don't have a price in mind but wanna go as cheap possible, I want the cheapest well known/ reliable kit
Unless you mean you don't wanna get ripped off, I'd stop right there.

If you wanna keep going, check out:

https://europeanautosource.com/
or
https://store.activeautowerke.com/

You're easily looking at $4000 - $6500, PLUS money in terms of upgrading stuff -- your transmission (probably the 360R) won't be able to take that kinda power (+60 ftlbs, +100 hp) for long, so you'll need to reinforce it (inside and out). You should probably also look at reinforcing your rear subframe, as well as the rear mounts, differential, and so on, and so on...
Old 04-10-2017, 03:06 AM   #9
Aventador_nb

My Ride: E46 323i
Lots and lots of framework upgrades required on top of the internal components in the engine and transmission. I would say go for some more natural power in terms of small upgrades with performance parts. Get about 30-40 more hp.
If you really want >300-350 hp, a turbo kit. But that will require lots of maintenance and repairs over time. Initial cost should be a little less than a supercharger, with most supercharger kits costing ~ 6-7,000.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 04-10-2017, 07:51 AM   #10
vargaskid35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aventador_nb View Post
Lots and lots of framework upgrades required on top of the internal components in the engine and transmission. I would say go for some more natural power in terms of small upgrades with performance parts. Get about 30-40 more hp.
If you really want >300-350 hp, a turbo kit. But that will require lots of maintenance and repairs over time. Initial cost should be a little less than a supercharger, with most supercharger kits costing ~ 6-7,000.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using E46Fanatics mobile app
What small upgrades are you talking about? I've got a cold air intake and an exhaust as of right now
Old 04-10-2017, 11:30 AM   #11
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
Quote:
Well I honestly don't have a price in mind but wanna go as cheap possible
when you're buying a house, would you also tell your realtor you don't have a budget in mind and then get mad when they bring you to a 5 million dollar mansion that you can't afford? cheap is different to every person so tell us what that number is and we'll give you options within that number.

you need to establish a budget. and a real budget, not just "I'll buy the parts as I go along and hopefully it comes out cheap".

a reliable, off the shelf, ready to run, kit will run anywhere between $4000 to $7000 depending on if it's a turbo or supercharger, different stages of power, accessories, etc...

if you have the mechanic ability (know how to weld, how to pull your motor, etc) then you can possibly put a turbo kit together yourself with a cheap CX Racing kit. something to think about by the way...if you do it yourself, it won't be an overnight project where you'll be driving the next day. do you have a second car or a rental car that you can drive for potentially months while your car gets put together and then all sorted out so it can drive reliably?

long story short, you're like the 4th person just this week to make a thread saying "I wanna make my car go fast but I don't have any money. what do you guys think I should do?" threads like this come and go almost daily and probably 90% of them go nowhere because the person didn't think it would be so expensive. when you factor in parts, labor and down time, and then fixing any issues once it actually does work, most just choose to drive their car the way it is.

if you seriously want to do this, you'll need knowledge and a wallet that can take a couple thousand dollar hit at minimum.

.......how's your subframe holding up?
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #12
daemonicus

I didn't see you had an automatic. that severely limits you. unless you plan to swap to manual then you don't have many options. the automatics have proven themselves to be unreliable when the engine gets boosted. to compensate for this, any supercharger or turbo kit out there will have a good amount less power than the same kit on a manual car.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
vargaskid35

Quote:
Originally Posted by daemonicus View Post
when you're buying a house, would you also tell your realtor you don't have a budget in mind and then get mad when they bring you to a 5 million dollar mansion that you can't afford? cheap is different to every person so tell us what that number is and we'll give you options within that number.

you need to establish a budget. and a real budget, not just "I'll buy the parts as I go along and hopefully it comes out cheap".

a reliable, off the shelf, ready to run, kit will run anywhere between $4000 to $7000 depending on if it's a turbo or supercharger, different stages of power, accessories, etc...

if you have the mechanic ability (know how to weld, how to pull your motor, etc) then you can possibly put a turbo kit together yourself with a cheap CX Racing kit. something to think about by the way...if you do it yourself, it won't be an overnight project where you'll be driving the next day. do you have a second car or a rental car that you can drive for potentially months while your car gets put together and then all sorted out so it can drive reliably?

long story short, you're like the 4th person just this week to make a thread saying "I wanna make my car go fast but I don't have any money. what do you guys think I should do?" threads like this come and go almost daily and probably 90% of them go nowhere because the person didn't think it would be so expensive. when you factor in parts, labor and down time, and then fixing any issues once it actually does work, most just choose to drive their car the way it is.

if you seriously want to do this, you'll need knowledge and a wallet that can take a couple thousand dollar hit at minimum.

.......how's your subframe holding up?
I have the money but I don't want to go with a cheap unreliable kit nobody has heard of, I want to get a well known reliable kit but don't want to go with the most expensive option either
Old 04-10-2017, 11:35 AM   #14
vargaskid35

Quote:
I have the money but I don't want to go with a cheap unreliable kit nobody has heard of, I want to get a well known reliable kit but don't want to go with the most expensive option either
And I haven't check out my subframe really, how exactly do you make sure it's nice and strong still ?
Old 04-10-2017, 11:51 AM   #15
daemonicus

Quote:
the best and only bolt on turbo kit for an automatic. I've heard rumors though that getting in touch with him is kind of hard...

http://techniquetuning.com/e46330turbo.html

active autowerke is a long time reputable name for superchargers. if you really want to maximize your power with a supercharger, it would be best to get some open headers as well.

https://store.activeautowerke.com/collections/e46-2000-05-3-series/products/active-autowerke-e46-330-supercharger-kit-level-1

ess makes nice stuff too

http://esstuning.com/m54b30-twin-screw-stage-1-ts1/
Old 04-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #16
SK330ci

This thread is becoming more fun to read every day!

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Special Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

Old 04-10-2017, 04:29 PM   #17
Davconelectric

My Ride: 2 dog powered sled
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post
Old 04-10-2017, 05:07 PM   #18
E46Envyy

My Ride: 04 330ci Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SK330ci View Post

Its clear the op has not done anywhere near enough research, but I've gotta give credit to demonic for spending the time to write up some useful info.

to be completely honest I don't think the "budget" turbo/charger build has got anywhere near enough research over the years. The threads regarding the subject always get shut down (with valid reason). But as part prices drop and more knowledge gets around it becomes feasible . I just can't justify lining aa's pockets; their profit margin must be massive.

If only we fanatics got together and crowed funded a supercharger project and do a bulk run...

Last edited by E46Envyy; 04-10-2017 at 05:09 PM.
E46Envyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #19
SK330ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46Envyy View Post
Its clear the op has not done anywhere near enough research, but I've gotta give credit to demonic for spending the time to write up some useful info.

to be completely honest I don't think the "budget" turbo/charger build has got anywhere near enough research over the years. The threads regarding the subject always get shut down (with valid reason). But as part prices drop and more knowledge gets around it becomes feasible . I just can't justify lining aa's pockets; their profit margin must be massive.

If only we fanatics got together and crowed funded a supercharger project and do a bulk run...
it's all of these reasons i went with nitrous and never looked back since.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:11 PM   #20
XanderCrews

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Also may want to set aside 1000 bucks for a quaife or a helical. So add that to the price.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
XanderCrews is offline   Reply With Quote