E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
United Airlines

This is a thread where people can express their outrage at United Airlines dragging a passenger off its flight because the flight was "overbooked."

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2017/0...verbooked.html

People who wish to defend United Airlines are also welcome to do so.

That is all. Thank you for your consideration.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:04 PM   #2
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Don't they usually stop people at the gate when it's overbooked? Why let everyone board just to kick them back off again? Seems like they're asking for trouble.

Luckily for airlines, people already hate them anyway so what's one more video going to do?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
jeffro3000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Can we also post here if we simply don't care?
Old 04-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #4
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Don't they usually stop people at the gate when it's overbooked? Why let everyone board just to kick them back off again? Seems like they're asking for trouble.

Luckily for airlines, people already hate them anyway so what's one more video going to do?

From what I've read, it appears that United discovered that they needed some seats so that United crew members could be transported to another hub so that those crew members could fly another plane somewhere. The flight was already fully seated, so United tried to get people to volunteer to get off at the last minute. This guy demurred, so they called security who forcefully removed him from the flight.

I think the key here is that people will hate United a little more than the other airlines for a while, so it will probably hurt them. I am enjoying all the breathless FB bloviators who are shouting that they will never fly with United again, though.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by choxor View Post
By posting, you imply some level***8203; of care, so you've already disqualified yourself from this option.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:08 PM   #6
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Yes. This is a safe space for indifference.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #7
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Yes. This is a safe space for indifference.
Good. I just like to feel included.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
lexpression

My Ride: '08 Audi RS4
Send a message via AIM to lexpression
To be fair, his face did appear to be resisting that armrest. At least United has already updated their seating chart:

Past: 2011 E92 M3 | 2011 Audi S4 | 2008 TT FJ Cruiser | 2007 Audi A4 | 2004 Audi S4
lexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:14 PM   #9
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Good. I just like to feel included.
Everyone is welcome here, unlike on United Airlines flights.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
From what I've read, it appears that United discovered that they needed some seats so that United crew members could be transported to another hub so that those crew members could fly another plane somewhere. The flight was already fully seated, so United tried to get people to volunteer to get off at the last minute. This guy demurred, so they called security who forcefully removed him from the flight.

I think the key here is that people will hate United a little more than the other airlines for a while, so it will probably hurt them. I am enjoying all the breathless FB bloviators who are shouting that they will never fly with United again, though.
Yea I read they needed 4 seats and offered $800 each. Based on the video, it seems they were unsuccessful in getting even one, since the guy came back again (with a bloody face).

$3200 plus 4 hotel stays and a 2 hour delay seems a bit steep a price to pay for those employees though. Why not rent them a car for the 5 hour drive and avoid the whole situation? The whole thing just looks incompetent on United's part to me.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:20 PM   #11
Cabrio330

My Ride: 2013 F30 335i
So last year I was bumped from a Southwest flight and they offered me $400 (I think). I complained, saying that this was their issue, not mine, and they should simply continue to increase the amount of compensation until they got enough volunteers to take a later flight. They gave me a piece of paper from the FAA that says the airlines, in this case Southwest, cannot offer more than the FAA-allowed maximum, e.g., $400.

I don't have that piece of paper any longer, and a quick google search didn't bring any hits that made it clear the airlines are in fact prohibited by the FAA from paying more than the FAA-proscribed amounts. Maybe someone else in here knows more and can confirm either way?

I mention this only because (1) I think it is stupid for the FAA to limit the compensation to passengers in these circumstances, but (2) if it is true, then United bears less responsibility here than might seem appropriate otherwise.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #12
lexpression

My Ride: '08 Audi RS4
Send a message via AIM to lexpression
Quote:
Yea I read they needed 4 seats and offered $800 each. Based on the video, it seems they were unsuccessful in getting even one, since the guy came back again (with a bloody face).

$3200 plus 4 hotel stays and a 2 hour delay seems a bit steep a price to pay for those employees though. Why not rent them a car for the 5 hour drive and avoid the whole situation? The whole thing just looks incompetent on United's part to me.

They didn't even bother to go up to the max of $1300 (source - https://www.choice.com.au/travel/on-...mpensation#USA).

I know it's BuzzFeed, but this made me laugh (https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliciamelvi...L#.nxGJWPZGm):

Quote:
When asked why the airline had the man forcibly removed, and whether that was standard procedure in cases of overbooked flights, United refused to comment.

Instead they told BuzzFeed News all further questions should be referred to Chicago Police. BuzzFeed News contacted Chicago Police and were told to contact the Chicago Department of Aviation. When BuzzFeed News contacted the Chicago Department of Aviation they were transferred to a TSA message bank. A TSA spokesperson later told BuzzFeed News they were not involved and to contact Chicago Police.

Past: 2011 E92 M3 | 2011 Audi S4 | 2008 TT FJ Cruiser | 2007 Audi A4 | 2004 Audi S4
lexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:27 PM   #13
jeffro3000

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/you...luntary-bumps/

Interesting summary.

Basically, you have no rights. Airlines can do whatever they want.

Makes things unfortunate for doctors, etc who may be in time sensitive situations regarding patients, like this guy may have been.

Also interesting is that delays, cancelations, and overselling + denied boarding carry more expensive government regulated penalities in the EU.

Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 PM   #14
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/you...luntary-bumps/

Interesting summary.

Basically, you have no rights. Airlines can do whatever they want.

Makes things unfortunate for doctors, etc who may be in time sensitive situations regarding patients, like this guy may have been.

Also interesting is that delays, cancelations, and overselling + denied boarding carry more expensive government regulated penalities in the EU.

I would have imagined that something like this would exist. I figure the airlines are going to want to cover themselves as much as possible since something like this is totally foreseeable.
Old 04-10-2017, 01:33 PM   #15
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
The compensation they give you is crap anyway, they were talking about this in the radio up here this morning, one of the hosts was given $200 once to get bumped, it came in the form of 8 $25 vouchers that couldn't be combined and had to be redeemed in person at the airport. So he got $25 off 8 separate flights that had to be bought in person.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:01 PM   #16
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
I've fought with united a number of times, and successfully won, nothing like this though. The last time was my flight to Mexico, where for some reason, my seats didn't recline because "that row doesn't recline." It wasn't the back row, or anything like that, nor did they warn us that the row in question doesn't recline. It says nothing about it on their seat charts either. Fought it through 3 supervisors, got a full refund for the 4 tickets. I hate airline companies. If I had unlimited vacation time, i'd drive everywhere.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #18
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
How much money can he get suing them?
Old 04-10-2017, 02:43 PM   #19
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
United Airlines

Emotional distress, physical harm, wouldn't be surprised if a decent lawyer can squeeze 25-50k out of them (settlement.) I've seen more from less.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-10-2017 at 02:44 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #20
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Emotional distress, physical harm, wouldn't be surprised if a decent lawyer can squeeze 25-50k out of them (settlement.) I've seen more from less.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
How funny is this, I just got off the phone with my attorney, long-time-friend (not a billable call ), and he was just saying the same thing... But according to him, you're low by a factor of ten. With the publicity he's getting, and the embarrassment for United after their leggings fiasco a few days ago, a sympathetic jury can really opt to teach them a lesson right about now...
BoogetyBoogety is online now   Reply With Quote