E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #21
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Contempt of Chicago Cop usually results in the Death Penalty.

This guy got off easy.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #22
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
They'll try to settle with him via $150 travel voucher.

Sent from your mom's bedroom during pillow talk
Old 04-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #23
fckupayme

My Ride: Razor Scooter on 20s
That video is so dramatic and then the lady shouting Oh my god! lmfao
Old 04-10-2017, 03:09 PM   #24
swordsman11868

My Ride: 2003 325i
Lawfully, though, isn't the pilot the final word on who stays or goes?

E46Fanatics inspiration Robolop: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...87566&page=101

2016 Beheadings in Saudi Arabia: 92.
swordsman11868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #25
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post

Yeah, but he/she/zhe/it doesn't have time to deal with that ****, so the flight attendants do it. Passengers have to listen to the orders of a flight attendant by federal law.

Old 04-10-2017, 03:18 PM   #26
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
After doing a bit of homework on this, I'm inclined to say that he probably doesn't have all that strong of a case in court. In the court of public opinion? That might be a different story. But if the passenger agreement states that United can bump a passenger unilaterally at any time, and he refuses to honor that provision, then it sounds to me like his continued presence on the plane was wrongful and United was in the right (legally) to have him forcibly removed. The optics are terrible, but I dunno about actionable.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 03:21 PM   #27
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordsman11868 View Post

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/you...luntary-bumps/

Will be interesting to see how this plays out with all the publicity this is getting.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:23 PM   #28
bgsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
After doing a bit of homework on this, I'm inclined to say that he probably doesn't have all that strong of a case in court. In the court of public opinion? That might be a different story. But if the passenger agreement states that United can bump a passenger unilaterally at any time, and he refuses to honor that provision, then it sounds to me like his continued presence on the plane was wrongful and United was in the right (legally) to have him forcibly removed. The optics are terrible, but I dunno about actionable.
This, see my previous post.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:59 PM   #29
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
United Airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoogetyBoogety View Post
How funny is this, I just got off the phone with my attorney, long-time-friend (not a billable call ), and he was just saying the same thing... But according to him, you're low by a factor of ten. With the publicity he's getting, and the embarrassment for United after their leggings fiasco a few days ago, a sympathetic jury can really opt to teach them a lesson right about now...

You are right. I didn't factor in the fact that everyone in the country saw him get dragged off a plane for no reason. He could even claim that the embarrassment ruined his practice. Early retirement ftw.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-10-2017 at 03:59 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:02 PM   #30
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
Yeah, but he/she/zhe/it doesn't have time to deal with that ****, so the flight attendants do it. Passengers have to listen to the orders of a flight attendant by federal law.

Citation? You was under the impression that safety orders must be listened to, not anything that comes out of their mouth. I've argued many a time with uninformed flight crew and security crew who have no clue about their own rules.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:03 PM   #31
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
https://www.theatlantic.com/business...al-law/522552/

Quote:
the United video serves as a stark metaphor, one where the quiet brutalization of consumers is rendered in shocking, literal form. The first thought that I had watching the outrageous footage of a passenger being dragged through an aisle like a bag of trash was that this should never happen. But fundamentally, this is an old story: Companies in concentrated industries, like the airlines, have legal cover to break the most basic promise to consumers without legally breaking their contracts.
Welcome to the airline industry.

UAL stock is up 0.9% today.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:05 PM   #32
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
You are right. I didn't factor in the fact that everyone in the country saw him get dragged off a plane for no reason.
Debateable.

Quote:
He could even claim that the embarrassment ruined his practice. Early retirement ftw.

He can claim whatever he wants. He'd still have to prove it and then plead and prove damages.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #33
NFRs2000nyc

United Airlines

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
https://thepointsguy.com/2017/04/you...luntary-bumps/

Will be interesting to see how this plays out with all the publicity this is getting.

Interesting, but legally speaking, the contract states they have the right to deny boarding. The guy was already boarded and sitting, therefore, the airline closed the contract loop on themselves by allowing him to board the aircraft. Having a seating system also allows the airline to know when it overlooks a flight, ergo, it would be hard to argue in court that you didn't know you needed the seat etc. Furthermore, I'm not sure how enforceable that would be in court, as there are many consumer guidelines the METHOD of selling tickets violates in the context of this bumping rule. I highly doubt it would get thrown out of court and out of those few thousand that get bumped, I'd be willing to bet anyone that retains council and files a suit gets "get lost" money.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-10-2017 at 04:09 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 04:07 PM   #34
jeffro3000

Quote:
get dragged off a plane for no reason.
Except there was a reason. A United employee told him to get off the plane. He didn't. They're legally covered to drag him off kicking and screaming. It's a sad reality, but reality nonetheless.

Read the link I posted earlier. It references United's carriage agreement which basically says they can do what they want.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #35
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Except there was a reason. A United employee told him to get off the plane. He didn't. They're legally covered to drag him off kicking and screaming. It's a sad reality, but reality nonetheless.

Read the link I posted earlier. It references United's carriage agreement which basically says they can do what they want.

And read my above post. I've seen MANY contracts poorly written by large companies that clearly and easily violate numerous consumer protections.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #36
jeffro3000

Quote:
But in this case, the passenger was already onboard and the airline wanted to take him back off, presumably in order to put another passenger in his seat. Does United have the right to do that? Yes, because Rule 25(A)2(b) of United’s Contract of Carriage gives its boarding priority rules:

The priority of all other confirmed passengers may be determined based on a passenger’s fare class, itinerary, status of frequent flyer program membership, and the time in which the passenger presents him/herself for check-in without advanced seat assignment.
United gave higher boarding priority to their employees, simple as that.

Also, it would be silly for airlines not to have legal protections for kicking someone off a flight for any reason.

Again,
Quote:
We spoke to Alexander Bachuwa, a New York attorney who has written for TPG in the past on legal issues regarding travel. “The bottom line is that airlines hold the power to deny someone boarding and to remove someone from the flight,” Bachuwa told us. “The legal issue may be whether the police used unnecessary force in dealing with the situation. I highly doubt they will be held liable. The passenger was asked to leave and did not, as bad as that sounds.”
Old 04-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #37
bgsmith

Quote:
Interesting, but legally speaking, the contract states they have the right to deny boarding. The guy was already boarded and sitting, therefore, the airline closed the contract loop on themselves by allowing him to board the aircraft. Having a seating system also allows the airline to know when it overlooks a flight, ergo, it would be hard to argue in court that you didn't know you needed the seat etc. Furthermore, I'm not sure how enforceable that would be in court, as there are many consumer guidelines the METHOD of selling tickets violates in the context of this bumping rule. I highly doubt it would get thrown out of court and out of those few thousand that get bumped, I'd be willing to bet anyone that retains council and files a suit gets "get lost" money.

Did you read the whole thing, it addresses the fact that he was already in the plane.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #38
bgsmith

Quote:

Also, it would be silly for airlines not to have legal protections for kicking someone off a flight for any reason.

Again,
Quote:
Did you read the whole thing, it addresses the fact that he was already in the plane.
This
Old 04-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #39
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

Again,

Again, this violates consumer protections. If you don't allow people to cancel on you and get their money back, you cannot do it to them. The airline took his money for the seat. It is HIS seat. He was allowed to board and sit in said seat. You cannot kick people off planes trains buses etc for ANY reason. Many reasons but not ANY reason.

Furthermore, the kicker (which makes their stupid contract null in this case) is that they let him back on the flight.

Old 04-10-2017, 04:23 PM   #40
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:

No it doesn't. That was a statement by the writer, not in the rules. Their rules only state they can deny boarding based on class, priority, etc etc. it says nothing about being removed from the plane.