E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2017, 11:03 PM   #21
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
If you're willing to haggle I assume you're not locked in to a ZHP but are just looking for a manual 330?

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/6084750626.html
https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/6083852548.html
https://huntsville.craigslist.org/cto/6079091459.html (325 but wow)

Current: '02 330i/5 '10 Mazda5 '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:06 PM   #22
Nick'sE46

My Ride: '04 325CI
Well I'd only consider haggling because of the condition and the color combo. And I'm torn between a ZHP or a touring. And of course an E36 or E46 M. Too many great cars b

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Nick'sE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:28 PM   #23
asianisafish

My Ride: 330ci
Idk if its a zhp or not but its a clean car. price seems normal for my area. plus now you dont have to spend money on any mods

135k non zhp was 7k in my area, includes whole front end being repainted from being in an accident too
asianisafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 11:32 PM   #24
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
I'd buy that in a heartbeat... that car (regardless of not being a zhp) was tastefully modded. This is exactly where i'd draw the line of buying a car that has been modded, and I really think it was done right. Add an M-tech bumper and that car is near perfect. If the previous owner(s) was half as good with maintenance as modding, its probably still in really good shape.

However unfortunately I don't think the market supports that price. Nice or not, the car is not stock. The mirrors might not work, not everyone does the motor swap from the 6/12 pin to the ribbon. Front bumper might be aftermarket, hard to tell from pics, and, although the rims are nice those are $1600 rims. "S788 BMW LA wheel, Individual" to my knowledge means they came with OEM 18 in Style 71 which are 2 piece and gorgeous. BBS reps look really nice but this car came with close to $3000 rims from the factory. If memory serves me correctly BMW charges $700ish a wheel depending on front or rear. These aren't necessarily bad things however can be used for leverage when purchasing.
Old 04-12-2017, 01:07 AM   #25
Nick'sE46

My Ride: '04 325CI
Very good point. Again I'm just wanting to hear opinions. Are zhps that much better than a 330i or 330ci with a sport pack and manual? I know the steering rack is from the M3 and some suspension bits here and there but are they really worth the premium people are asking for now a days?

Nick'sE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:15 AM   #26
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick'sE46 View Post
Very good point. Again I'm just wanting to hear opinions. Are zhps that much better than a 330i or 330ci with a sport pack and manual? I know the steering rack is from the M3 and some suspension bits here and there but are they really worth the premium people are asking for now a days?

Someone on here once said something along the lines of "is it really worth it to pay a couple thousand dollar premium for 300 RPM, 10 BHP, a fuzzy steering wheel and some fuzzy seats?" If you ask me, most ZHP's really aren't worth the extra couple thousand that most ask for them. I consistently see high mileage (over 100K) ZHP's for north of $9K. A nice ZSP, ZPP 330i or 330Ci can be had for $5K to $6K. Maybe $7K for a truly mint, lower mileage example. I just don't see the value in that much of a higher price for essentially the same car.

Another point, which I was guilty of thinking as well up until a few months ago, is the whole "special ZHP rack" thing. ZHP's and ZSP's have the same *ratio* (13.7:1) while M3's have an entirely different rack at 15.4:1. What the ZHP's and ZSP's do differ in however, is the internals. I'll let this thread do the talking: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=954523

Coming from someone who's driven a friend's ZHP quite a bit, there's really nothing extra special about the steering feel. A ZHP is certainly a nice package to have, especially if you can find a low mileage, taken care of, manual example. But IMO, not really worth it when a standard ZSP 330 can be had with those mods for way less than the difference in asking prices for most ZHP's.

(Also, FWIW, my friend has the original window sticker from his car. Dealer price $45,000. My '02 330Ci, 100% options, also $45,000 dealer price )
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:13 AM   #27
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: '03 325Ci + '05 ZHP
Quote:
If you want the cool factor of a fairly unique car -- and ZHPs are definitely unique -- then yes. For example, only 158 of my car's color/interior/tranny were made, out of a total production run of 3063 coupes. That's why there's the premium, as they weren't 'ordinary' BMWs and there are truly very few of them.

Beyond that, it's subjective -- I prefer the M-Tech II bumper (and front and rear, I think the pre-facelift coupe bumpers look better than the facelift ones). The anthracite interior looks nicer, and I dig the red needles. I'm glad it came with an M-steering wheel from the factory -- I know that's the first thing I would've changed had it been a regular 330's sports wheel...

In the end, however, it was a minor upgrade/package/choice (call it what you will) -- all other things being equal, if my friend had been selling a regular 330Ci, I would've still bought it off of him and not looked back.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:51 AM   #28
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
nah that 330Ci doesn't have the Performance Package. when you know what to look for its pretty obvious.

also seems priced as if it were one.
Old 04-12-2017, 07:49 AM   #29
JJR4884

Quote:

I wouldn't say its "that" much better however with a ZHP, you have all the fixings. A lot of little things add up. Given the fact that these cars are 2 generations ago and well over 10 years old, the ZHP is worth it should the price not be stupid. You have the Mtech II with the M135 rims and trunk spoiler, immediately makes the car look years newer than your standard e46 set up. The black window trim is a nice touch as well.

From a performance standpoint... meh, its a little better. At this point the "premium" on a ZHP should be a grand or so if you line one up with a comparable 330 with sport package. On top of that add the M3 wheel, weighted shift knob, cube trim, cams/differential, and tighter steering, and black headliner.

They way I see it... this premium (even if it was $1500 more) is the equivalent of buying a steering wheel, cube trim, and black headliner (used of course) so... yes, worth it when you look at the grand scheme of things.

This car however is a little different. Its almost a ZHP from the looks of it, but that doesn't do any favors to the value of a car when it isn't 100% stock. Its buying power, nothing more nothing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
Someone on here once said something along the lines of "is it really worth it to pay a couple thousand dollar premium for 300 RPM, 10 BHP, a fuzzy steering wheel and some fuzzy seats?" If you ask me, most ZHP's really aren't worth the extra couple thousand that most ask for them. I consistently see high mileage (over 100K) ZHP's for north of $9K. A nice ZSP, ZPP 330i or 330Ci can be had for $5K to $6K. Maybe $7K for a truly mint, lower mileage example. I just don't see the value in that much of a higher price for essentially the same car.

Another point, which I was guilty of thinking as well up until a few months ago, is the whole "special ZHP rack" thing. ZHP's and ZSP's have the same *ratio* (13.7:1) while M3's have an entirely different rack at 15.4:1. What the ZHP's and ZSP's do differ in however, is the internals. I'll let this thread do the talking: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=954523

Coming from someone who's driven a friend's ZHP quite a bit, there's really nothing extra special about the steering feel. A ZHP is certainly a nice package to have, especially if you can find a low mileage, taken care of, manual example. But IMO, not really worth it when a standard ZSP 330 can be had with those mods for way less than the difference in asking prices for most ZHP's.

(Also, FWIW, my friend has the original window sticker from his car. Dealer price $45,000. My '02 330Ci, 100% options, also $45,000 dealer price )
Read my post above. For a $4000 option it really is an incredible deal. Keep in mind, sport package was $1600 for our cars, so really the ZHP upgrades were really only $2400 more.
Old 04-12-2017, 09:21 AM   #30
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
If the way the car looks is any indication of how it was driven, then this car is the must avoid category. That car looks awful and the PO probably drove it like he stole it, as they say.
NYRhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 09:23 AM   #31
NYRhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Read my post above. For a $4000 option it really is an incredible deal. Keep in mind, sport package was $1600 for our cars, so really the ZHP upgrades were really only $2400 more.
Agreed. And with the premium today being only $1-2K it's beyond dumb that people try to replicate a zhp instead of just getting one. Some people are just nuts.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #32
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
Agreed. And with the premium today being only $1-2K it's beyond dumb that people try to replicate a zhp instead of just getting one. Some people are just nuts.
It might not make sense to you, but that's a different story. Perhaps you have some bias, given your ownership of one?

If you're a car enthusiast, you're well aware of the high (some would say ridiculous) mark-up on the ZHP optioned 330's. In my area, I often see them listed for DOUBLE or more the cost of a 330.

Reiterating again - a used car is a used car, ZHP or not. So if you're already committed to buying a used car that is going to need maintenance (Read: major components replaced), why would I buy essentially the same car at double the cost? So I can further invest money replacing all the worn ZHP bits that came with it?

Even a low mileage example will need work. I'm paying a premium for shit I'm going to need to replace anyway! And how many of these unicorns do you think are on the used car market right now? If one comes up for sale, what do you think the asking price will be? 10k? 12k? I've seen even higher.

Unless I'm a collector who really needed to satisfy a ZHP hardon, I don't see the point.

OP can consider a MY 2003+ 330, then price himself out some gauge rings, an alcantara headliner, black pube trim, and a ZHP suspension refresh kit. He's 95% ZHP now, with new parts, and enough leftover money for a week in [insert tropical place here].

Tell me in which way he's discernable from a "true" ZHP now. Aside from being a BMW nerd and looking up his VIN.

The car in the OP looks fantastic, aside from the wheels (which are my own personal preference)

Last edited by GhostFlame; 04-12-2017 at 10:15 AM.
GhostFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:19 AM   #33
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
If you want the cool factor of a fairly unique car -- and ZHPs are definitely unique -- then yes. For example, only 158 of my car's color/interior/tranny were made, out of a total production run of 3063 coupes. That's why there's the premium, as they weren't 'ordinary' BMWs and there are truly very few of them.
My mom's JapanRot 325i is 1 of 2 in North America.
Old 04-12-2017, 11:52 AM   #34
Max'd out

My Ride: 04 330cic
I have upgraded my 330 CIC with the ///M leather steering wheel, silver cube trim, trunk lip, HD control arms and bushings, HD end links, leather shift knob.

I'm not trying to make it a ZHP wannabe but these features look nicer and give it a better feel.
Max'd out is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:03 PM   #35
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
same steering rack as other 330s. it's not a different car, its a 330 that just has an "option package".
Is it worth the premium, maybe new but not a chance now from majority of private sellers. as someone said maybe at a price of $1000 more over Sport, otherwise not.

if you're set on that car, it's not a horrible deal. has some tasteful mods, options and seats good condition. but it's no steal either. it should be priced for less imho.
if you do go down there and negotiate price, things to bring up i see are cheap vinyl trim wrap, looks like possible cracked lip spoiler, check M3 mirror motor function and it's listed as heated seats when there are no heated seat buttons. mechanically who knows.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:17 PM   #36
hodgkinsc330ci

Quote:
The big point that I really was trying to make, is that it just seems silly to pay over $9K or $10K for a ZHP. I could easily find several ZHP's for sale right now over or around $10K, here in our classifieds and on Autotrader. If most ZHP's were only $1K premiums over the standard, then that'd be a different story.

Now of course, like you mentioned, if you're dead set on a ZHP then throw out whatever extra cash you have for one. Adding up all the prices for the whole M-Tech II body kit, black window trim, cube trim, gauge cluster, steering wheel, style 135 wheels, gear knob and black headliner is probably more than what you'll pay trying to upgrade a ZSP/ZPP car. Most of us here will mod our cars anyways though, and replace the suspension components so we get a better car than a ZHP anyways, IMO.

Btw, was it really a $4K option? Both sticker prices for mine and my friends ZHP are $45,000. We both have 100% options, but obviously he's got the ZHP.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.

Last edited by hodgkinsc330ci; 04-12-2017 at 02:20 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:29 PM   #37
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
The big point that I really was trying to make, is that it just seems silly to pay over $9K or $10K for a ZHP. I could easily find several ZHP's for sale right now over or around $10K, here in our classifieds and on Autotrader. If most ZHP's were only $1K premiums over the standard, then that'd be a different story.

Now of course, like you mentioned, if you're dead set on a ZHP then throw out whatever extra cash you have for one. Adding up all the prices for the whole M-Tech II body kit, black window trim, cube trim, gauge cluster, steering wheel, style 135 wheels, gear knob and black headliner is probably more than what you'll pay trying to upgrade a ZSP/ZPP car. Most of us here will mod our cars anyways though, and replace the suspension components so we get a better car than a ZHP anyways, IMO.

Btw, was it really a $4K option? Both sticker prices for mine and my friends ZHP are $45,000. We both have 100% options, but obviously he's got the ZHP.
Well i don't think this car in particular is worth $10k. Assuming the upgrades was done the right way, it would never increase the value of the car. If it were an actual ZHP, idk.. maybe 9k would be reasonable for the color combo/mileage, however yet again the rims (although nice) would still technically reduce the value of the car.

Yes, the Performance Package was $4k. Your stickers might be similar because there are plenty of non-ZHP's out there that have sports package ($1600) Premium Package ($2500) Nav ($2000) Cold Weather Package ($850 IIRC) automatic transmission ($2200?) and so forth...

My car was $42,600 if i'm not mistaken. It had Sports Package and $1000 upgrade Style 71 18in rims
Old 04-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #38
NYRhockey

Yes, it was a $3,900 option but how someone configured their e46 at the time can widely vary in price. Cold Weather and Premium packages would be additional to the Performance package i believe, which would add a lot to the cost.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:42 PM   #39
NYRhockey

Quote:
Well i don't think this car in particular is worth $10k. Assuming the upgrades was done the right way, it would never increase the value of the car. If it were an actual ZHP, idk.. maybe 9k would be reasonable for the color combo/mileage, however yet again the rims (although nice) would still technically reduce the value of the car.

Yes, the Performance Package was $4k. Your stickers might be similar because there are plenty of non-ZHP's out there that have sports package ($1600) Premium Package ($2500) Nav ($2000) Cold Weather Package ($850 IIRC) automatic transmission ($2200?) and so forth...

My car was $42,600 if i'm not mistaken. It had Sports Package and $1000 upgrade Style 71 18in rims
Even if that car in question was a zhp it still wouldn't be worth that much. The zhp's that hold the most value are generally the ones that are kept as close to stock as possible, not thugged out like that one.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #40
hodgkinsc330ci

Quote:

Of course. Yeah, this car might be somewhere in the $7K range assuming it checks out mechanically. Idk if I would go for this particular example (not a fan of the wheels, not a real ZHP) but it'll be nice for someone.

As far as options go, I forgot an AT would add price. Other options-wise, not sure though. My friend's ZHP has everything (nav, TPMS, maybe heated seats?) but I don't have ZCW or nav. So there's some mystery $1800 worth of options that made my car the same sticker as his. Hmm.

(So much for 100% options on my car, btw. It doesn't even have an alarm in it! My printout from BMW says 100% options though)

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app