E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2017, 02:45 PM   #41
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
Now of course, like you mentioned, if you're dead set on a ZHP then throw out whatever extra cash you have for one. Adding up all the prices for the whole M-Tech II body kit, black window trim, cube trim, gauge cluster, steering wheel, style 135 wheels, gear knob and black headliner is probably more than what you'll pay trying to upgrade a ZSP/ZPP car. Most of us here will mod our cars anyways though, and replace the suspension components so we get a better car than a ZHP anyways, IMO.
I'm not a ZHP owner, but I have a theory that it's the cam difference that's most commonly used to justify the price hike over standard E46s.

Everything else (cluster, DME tune, steering wheel, 135s, shift knob, etc etc) bolts on fairly easily, but swapping out the cams requires a decent amount of engine teardown, so if I were a ZHP owner, that's what would make me feel my car is truly "special."

Current: '02 330i/5 '10 Mazda5 '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:48 PM   #42
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
Even if that car in question was a zhp it still wouldn't be worth that much. The zhp's that hold the most value are generally the ones that are kept as close to stock as possible, not thugged out like that one.
Aftermarket rims that are on the cheaper side but still very reputable, and then from what it looks to be... OEM upgrades.

What exactly is thugged out about this car?
Old 04-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #43
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

^It's a matter of personal taste. The black grilles and the tint give it a vaguely thuggish appearance. I wouldn't mod my car that way. YMMV.

Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Old 04-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #44
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
^ that, plus the bumper and rims scream "*****" trying to look "badass" but really looking like it's a car from the ghetto.
NYRhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:57 PM   #45
NYRhockey

The only thing missing to really make it look like a complete abortion of an e46 is to stance it, though the eurobro's and hoodrats would love it.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #46
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Love the color combo...
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:11 PM   #47
lllRazorlll
Modded ///Member

My Ride: '00 328i
Not sure if that color was offered with ZHP option.

Also, 170KW translates to 227BHP and the ZHP had 235BHP right out of the box

>IN SEARCH OF GRAY SEDAN SPORT SEATS<
lllRazorlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:13 PM   #48
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spannerhead View Post
I'm not a ZHP owner, but I have a theory that it's the cam difference that's most commonly used to justify the price hike over standard E46s.

Everything else (cluster, DME tune, steering wheel, 135s, shift knob, etc etc) bolts on fairly easily, but swapping out the cams requires a decent amount of engine teardown, so if I were a ZHP owner, that's what would make me feel my car is truly "special."
Hmm, yeah, I could see that. Funny that an owner would use that as a justification for a much higher price though. Realistically, that cam (+ factory tune) is maybe adding 2 WHP. If that. Plus the extra 300 RPM to the rev range.

Thought this was cool to see the cam differences (248/248 duration with 10.0mm/10.0mm lift is the ZHP cam)

[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #49
NYRhockey

Quote:

Of course they do, but if the zhp has the look you like/want, why in the world would you spend even more money to take a non-zhp and make it look like one? So you'd spend more trying to bolt on pieces and yet wouldn't get the higher value that zhp's go for.

Then again, i've seen the prices tourings can go for so people are willing to flush money down the toilet
Old 04-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #50
JJR4884

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllRazorlll View Post
Not sure if that color was offered with ZHP option.

Also, 170KW translates to 227BHP and the ZHP had 235BHP right out of the box
we've already concluded that it isn't a zhp
Old 04-12-2017, 03:36 PM   #51
JJR4884

Quote:
^It's a matter of personal taste. The black grilles and the tint give it a vaguely thuggish appearance. I wouldn't mod my car that way. YMMV.
Of course its personal taste, however i think the mods done on this from a scale of 1-10 on the "thug/ghetto" scale is a 1.5.

Quote:
^ that, plus the bumper and rims scream "*****" trying to look "badass" but really looking like it's a car from the ghetto.
Quote:
The only thing missing to really make it look like a complete abortion of an e46 is to stance it, though the eurobro's and hoodrats would love it.
haha.. tough crowd huh? what would you say about e46s that have:

m3 fender grills
csl trunk
bbs/hre rims
quad exhausts
over kill suspension
exhausts/headers set up
angel eyes/aftermarket HID
dark tint
short shift kits
OEM M3 parts swapped
Old 04-12-2017, 03:39 PM   #52
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Everything else bolts on fairly easily, but swapping out the cams requires a decent amount of engine teardown, so if I were a ZHP owner, that's what would make me feel my car is truly "special."
nothing like that "special" zhp rattle from the cams/vanos.
Old 04-12-2017, 03:48 PM   #53
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
Hmm, yeah, I could see that. Funny that an owner would use that as a justification for a much higher price though. Realistically, that cam (+ factory tune) is maybe adding 2 WHP. If that. Plus the extra 300 RPM to the rev range.
It really doesn't matter what it is as long as

A) It increases performance, however slightly, and
B) It's difficult to add after the fact.

It could be a special lightweight flywheel, or a CF driveshaft, or ZHP-specific tubular headers... Any number of things.

Quote:
Of course they do, but if the zhp has the look you like/want, why in the world would you spend even more money to take a non-zhp and make it look like one? So you'd spend more trying to bolt on pieces and yet wouldn't get the higher value that zhp's go for.
You're assuming most people mod their cars with resale value in mind. They don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
nothing like that "special" zhp rattle from the cams/vanos.
Are ZHPs more prone to VANOS issues than regular E46s?

Old 04-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #54
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:

Then again, i've seen the prices tourings can go for so people are willing to flush money down the toilet
Because you aren't spending more, you're spending less and getting more.

You're buying a 330 and making it "new" with that money you saved from not buying a ZHP, plus leftover.

Your overpriced ZHP will still require $$ for maintenance.
Refer to my last post.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #55
NYRhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
Because you aren't spending more, you're spending less and getting more.

You're buying a 330 and making it "new" with that money you saved from not buying a ZHP, plus leftover.

Your overpriced ZHP will still require $$ for maintenance.
Refer to my last post.
You're either replying to the wrong post or just don't get it. You'd be replacing a used bumper, for example, with another used zhp bumper so you're not making anything "new".

Part of the additional cost to the zhp was the cosmetic differences / upgrades, so my post was about buying a non-zhp and spending the money to make it look like one as being incredibly wasteful when it'd cost you less to just get the zhp.

One of the key reasons i bought a zhp is because i really liked the more aggressive look (bigger/staggered wheels, spoiler, bumpers, black window trim, which btw makes the e46's with chrome trim look very dated) as well as the interior feel with the weighted shifter, alcantara steering wheel,etc, so for me to get something else to make it look like this would have been a dumb move.

Mechanically is a different story.

Last edited by NYRhockey; 04-12-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 04-12-2017, 04:59 PM   #56
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Are ZHPs more prone to VANOS issues than regular E46s?
you obviously never heard of the infamous "zhp rattle", aka "marbles in a can". then their cams were supplied by Alpina, which the Tech writer for BMWCCA Roundel found had (just in his fix) 3 out of 4 cams out of spec. not expected by such a respected tuner.
BMW was blowing out these cams plus the oil pump nut fix for dirt cheap. if someone wanted cams, these were way to mild for real performance.
Quote:

One of the key reasons i bought a zhp is because i really liked the more aggressive look (.. black window trim, which btw makes the e46's with chrome trim look very dated..
haha, so I guess the '99 323 sedans and base 325 sedans look the newest since they came with black window trim.

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 04-12-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 05:50 PM   #57
NYRhockey

Quote:
haha, so I guess the '99 323 sedans and base 325 sedans look the newest since they came with black window trim.
Being a pre face-lift model it doesn't matter what trim you put on a 323 it's still going to look dated.....

A few months ago when i was looking for an e46 i saw a minty-looking '04 330i ZSP with 60K-ish on it going for ~$12K and looking at the pictures the chrome trim really impacted the look from the side. It sold pretty quickly so it must have been as good a shape as it looked.
Old 04-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #58
JJR4884

Quote:
you obviously never heard of the infamous "zhp rattle", aka "marbles in a can". then their cams were supplied by Alpina, which the Tech writer for BMWCCA Roundel found had (just in his fix) 3 out of 4 cams out of spec. not expected by such a respected tuner.
BMW was blowing out these cams plus the oil pump nut fix for dirt cheap. if someone wanted cams, these were way to mild for real performance.

It's rubber where the zhp has a much nicer finish....

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 04-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #59
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: '03 325Ci + '05 ZHP
Oh, Christ... can we not turn this into another one of those ZHP vs. 330 threads? If you don't want a ZHP or think they're overpriced, don't get one. There are plenty of great regular 330s out there.

At the end of the day, the fact is they retain their value because they're in demand -- just look around; I have a hard time finding low-mileage ZHPs going for less than $10K (usually they hover just south of $15K). I know that I can turn around and sell mine for between 12K and 15K easy, which is more than I can say for a normal 330Ci (let alone my 325).

OP: the real answer to your question on whether the ZHP is 'better' or 'worth it' is completely up to you... check out this link for the differences between the two:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index...rmance_Package

Last edited by Sicily1918; 04-12-2017 at 08:44 PM.
Sicily1918 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 01:34 AM   #60
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
Oh, .. can we not turn this into another one of those ZHP vs. 330 threads?
a "zhp" is a 330.

sorry if OP has questions/people ask questions you don't like answers to, you dont have to stay in the thread. but hope you do.

$15,000

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 04-13-2017 at 03:46 AM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote