E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-13-2017, 01:38 AM   #61
Nick'sE46

My Ride: '04 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
It might not make sense to you, but that's a different story. Perhaps you have some bias, given your ownership of one?

If you're a car enthusiast, you're well aware of the high (some would say ridiculous) mark-up on the ZHP optioned 330's. In my area, I often see them listed for DOUBLE or more the cost of a 330.

Reiterating again - a used car is a used car, ZHP or not. So if you're already committed to buying a used car that is going to need maintenance (Read: major components replaced), why would I buy essentially the same car at double the cost? So I can further invest money replacing all the worn ZHP bits that came with it?

Even a low mileage example will need work. I'm paying a premium for shit I'm going to need to replace anyway! And how many of these unicorns do you think are on the used car market right now? If one comes up for sale, what do you think the asking price will be? 10k? 12k? I've seen even higher.

Unless I'm a collector who really needed to satisfy a ZHP hardon, I don't see the point.

OP can consider a MY 2003+ 330, then price himself out some gauge rings, an alcantara headliner, black pube trim, and a ZHP suspension refresh kit. He's 95% ZHP now, with new parts, and enough leftover money for a week in [insert tropical place here].

Tell me in which way he's discernable from a "true" ZHP now. Aside from being a BMW nerd and looking up his VIN.

The car in the OP looks fantastic, aside from the wheels (which are my own personal preference)

Your argument makes a lot of sense. And looking at it from that perspective really helps me out. I'll take that into heavy consideration.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Nick'sE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:22 AM   #62
Sicily1918
There I was, Sicily, 1918..

My Ride: '03 325Ci + '05 ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
a "zhp" isn a 330.

sorry if OP has questions/people ask questions you don't like answers to, you dont have to stay in the thread.

$15,000
I was actually trying to have a civil conversation, but fine; I'm out.
Old 04-13-2017, 02:26 AM   #63
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicily1918 View Post
I was actually trying to have a civil conversation, but fine; I'm out.
While I don't think ZHP's are worth anywhere near the $12K to $15K range, I can't say I disagree with you or fault you at all for posting... I thought you were being entirely civil. Guess Alex woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 02:36 AM   #64
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
its fake look at the smear marks where the red pointy thing is

WTB:: Natural Brown Sedan Full Interior
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 03:44 AM   #65
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
While I don't think ZHP's are worth anywhere near the $12K to $15K range, I can't say I disagree with you or fault you at all for posting... I thought you were being entirely civil. Guess Alex woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.
nope, I'm great

for the record a 330-ZSP is also a 330 and so is a 330-ZPP. seems some people have confusion with this.
here on E46Fanatics we keep the facts straight.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:24 AM   #66
hodgkinsc330ci

Quote:
nope, I'm great

for the record a 330-ZSP is also a 330 and so is a 330-ZPP. seems some people have confusion with this.
here on E46Fanatics we keep the facts straight.
You're either replying to the wrong person or you're just being overly pedantic with me... in my first post I mentioned "ZHP vs ZSP, ZPP 330." All 330's, (or all coupes?) as far as I know, came with the premium package. So yeah, they're all ZPP I guess.

What's your point?
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #67
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
Quote:
It might not make sense to you, but that's a different story. Perhaps you have some bias, given your ownership of one?

If you're a car enthusiast, you're well aware of the high (some would say ridiculous) mark-up on the ZHP optioned 330's. In my area, I often see them listed for DOUBLE or more the cost of a 330.
Let's see links to 330s of same model year, similar mileage, condition and options where the ZHP is 2x the price of the other one.
NYRhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #68
Nick'sE46

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/6079082418.html
2001 330i with sport package 5 speed and 129k miles. $5k

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/6076122560.html

330i ZHP 6 speed, 125k miles, $10k.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 04-13-2017, 08:39 AM   #69
Nick'sE46

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
Let's see links to 330s of same model year, similar mileage, condition and options where the ZHP is 2x the price of the other one.

It's not the same year but you get the idea.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #70
Spannerhead
Save the Manuals!

My Ride: '02 330i/5 slicktop
^What's with the black strip on the side of the ZHP? Weird on an otherwise clean car....

Current: '02 330i/5 '10 Mazda5 '72 240Z
Past: '85 GSL-SE '95 540i/6 '95 525i/5 '86 635CSi/5 '88 JZA70 '86 4K quattro '85 RX-7 S
Spannerhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #71
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick'sE46 View Post

No, not really. Without looking at the build sheet i can see the ZHP has the cold weather package, xenons, is 2 model years newer and may have some sort of premium package variance since it has Nav, though it may be aftermarket.

EDIT: Found the listing on autotrader which had the VIN, so looked up the build sheet and the Nav is stock. However, it does not have the ZPP as i remembered the package was not offered in the '03 ZHP models (not sure if you could get it in the other models)

This is a shitty comparison

Last edited by NYRhockey; 04-13-2017 at 09:30 AM.
NYRhockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #72
podemma

My Ride: 2001 330i
Quote:
All 330's, (or all coupes?) as far as I know, came with the premium package. So yeah, they're all ZPP I guess.
At least in Sedan Land that is not the case. My 2001 330 only has the sport package and is a slick top to boot.
podemma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:50 AM   #73
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
My mom's JapanRot 325i is 1 of 2 in North America.
I call BS. There are two JR 325i sedans at my work.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:47 AM   #74
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
a "zhp" is a 330.
Pretty sure we are all aware that a ZHP is a 330. It is much more distinguishable due to the looks/M addons/slight performance upgrades therefore labeling it as a "ZHP" instead of a 330 with Performance Package is socially (and logically) acceptable.

Sport package or Premium Package doesn't revamp the car inside/out/engine

Is it ok if people call there M3 CSL just a "CSL?"
Old 04-13-2017, 11:58 AM   #75
Alex323Ci

Quote:
You're either replying to the wrong person or you're just being overly pedantic with me... in my first post I mentioned "ZHP vs ZSP, ZPP 330." All 330's, (or all coupes?) as far as I know, came with the premium package. So yeah, they're all ZPP I guess.
wasn't referring to you. i was pointing out what someone else did.

also no they all don't get the Premium Package.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:33 PM   #76
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
Pretty sure we are all aware that a ZHP is a 330. It is much more distinguishable due to the looks/M addons/slight performance upgrades therefore labeling it as a "ZHP" instead of a 330 with Performance Package is socially (and logically) acceptable.
Sport package or Premium Package doesn't revamp the car inside/out/engine
Is it ok if people call there M3 CSL just a "CSL?"
CSL is actually the name of the car. first used by BMW back in 1972. it says CSL right on the back and fenders. totally different, I see your point but wrong example. "ZCP" would be the example.

well there is no such car called the ZHP. nowhere will you find a ZHP badge or emblem, it's an internal BMW nomenclature.
my point was its a 330. it's a subset of 330s. but referring to it like it's not is incorrect. over the decade we have found its intentionally done by their owners to hype the package and feel special. I like the package a lot, but it's an option package 330. let's not forget that.
and JJR i know you know all this having been a long time poster. but you asked me and im answering for others who will read.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:41 PM   #77
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
CSL is actually the name of the car. first used by BMW back in 1972. it says CSL right on the back and fenders. totally different, I see your point but wrong example. "ZCP" would be the example.

well there is no such car called the ZHP. nowhere will you find a ZHP badge or emblem, it's an internal BMW nomenclature.
my point was its a 330. it's a subset of 330s. but referring to it like it's not is incorrect. over the decade we have found its intentionally done by their owners to hype the package and feel special. I like the package a lot, but it's an option package 330. let's not forget that.
and JJR i know you know all this having been a long time poster. but you asked me and im answering for others who will read.
haha i know just teasing... i agree to an extent but the ZHP in terms of packages is in a class of its own. i refer to them as ZHP's just because it is so commonly used. But for the people that consider them a half way point between a 330 and an M3.. yaaaaaaaa no nope no no no
Old 04-14-2017, 03:59 PM   #78
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick'sE46 View Post
yep pertaining to the over pricing on the 330 Performance packaged optioned cars. they are certainly being listed by some "private sellers" way over book value price. what they get is often another story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
haha i know just teasing... i agree to an extent but the ZHP in terms of packages is in a class of its own. i refer to them as ZHP's just because it is so commonly used. But for the people that consider them a half way point between a 330 and an M3.. yaaaaaaaa no nope no no no
it's a peppy 330 and as long as someone is looking for that it's a great niche. much more civilized for daily and street.
but for those few owners you see comparing it to the M3 performance it's delusional.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:08 PM   #79
hodgkinsc330ci

Quote:
yep pertaining to the over pricing on the 330 Performance packaged optioned cars. they are certainly being listed by some "private sellers" way over book value price. what they get is often another story.

it's a peppy 330 and as long as someone is looking for that it's a great niche. much more civilized for daily and street.
but for those few owners you see comparing it to the M3 performance it's delusional.
Agreed that calling it a "ZHP" winds up being some special moniker that makes people feel like they have something much more special than a regular 330. Guess I'll start calling my 330Ci a "ZSP" Definitely some owners out there that feel like it's a different car or something. Not really. However, it's pretty easy to just identify ZHP's as such. It's just one of those "what I have is slightly better than yours" things.

I haven't met any ZHP owners that think what they have is on par with an M3, or that it's "an M3-lite" but I know they exist. There's probably a metric sh!t ton of them over on ZHP Mafia.

Honestly, a S/C ZHP doesn't even compare to an M3. The M is still a few steps ahead.

Edit: Alex, thanks for clearing up the premium pack thing. Just another one of those things I've heard on the forum somewhere. My bad for not searching first.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by hodgkinsc330ci; 04-14-2017 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:10 AM   #80
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post

You just don't seem to get it. Take your blinders off.
I posted two comparisons in my regional forum last week, in the same type of thread.

The two "regular" 330s have both sold, yet the ZHP dreamers are still reposting their ridiculously overpriced cars on the market, each week.

If in your area a ZHP costs only 1k more, congratulations.
You're the exception, not the rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
I call BS. There are two JR 325i sedans at my work.

I didn't say there are only 2 JapanRot 325i's in North America..

There are however only 2 in NA which were optioned the exact same way from the factory.

When you see anyone posting about this, that's what is being referred to.

Last edited by GhostFlame; 04-15-2017 at 11:11 AM.
GhostFlame is offline   Reply With Quote