E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2017, 12:03 AM   #1
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
"Let's Talk" Vol. 197: Air Compressors

Sup.

I'm looking for a new air compressor for the garage. I have a little tiny one from Home Depot which is okay for quick jobs, but is constantly running and is super super loud. It's 2.75hp 4.5cfm 4 gallon. I've been adding tools here and there that need air, and it's very obnoxious when the compressor is constantly turning on and off. It also struggles to keep up when blowing a lot of air (air tool, blow dry, sand blaster) and gets pretty warm. The plus side is that it's 110V and can be picked up by 1 person.

My friend is selling his air compressor and asking $2,000. It's a Powerex 5hp scroll compressor. They are basically silent, 15cfm at 100psi, 13 gallon tank, oil free, maintenance free. However I've heard that these aren't really worth the money unless you need it for a specific use.

What have you got in your garage/shop? Any recommendations?

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:22 AM   #2
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
The real question is how often are you going to be using the air compressor to be even considering purchasing a $2K used compressor?

I bought an air compressor about 10 months ago then went crazy buying LOTS of air tools and accessories to go with it. I've only used it about 5-6 times so far...

Got a 33gal oilless Husky from Home Depot that was on sale at the time for $200. Good thing I didn't purchased an expensive one because at the time I "thought" I was going to be using it a lot.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:17 AM   #3
kuksul08

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
The real question is how often are you going to be using the air compressor to be even considering purchasing a $2K used compressor?

I bought an air compressor about 10 months ago then went crazy buying LOTS of air tools and accessories to go with it. I've only used it about 5-6 times so far...

Got a 33gal oilless Husky from Home Depot that was on sale at the time for $200. Good thing I didn't purchased an expensive one because at the time I "thought" I was going to be using it a lot.
I use it pretty often, a few times a week. Always working on a project painting, cleaning off parts, or just filling up tires.

It is a lot of money for a compressor. I guess it's determining how much the quiet is worth.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
Old 04-18-2017, 01:37 AM   #4
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
"Let's Talk" Vol. 197: Air Compressors

^ take into consideration that the typical home garage is not that big. So I doubt even a very quiet compressor will truly be quiet in such small space. With that said I would just buy a decent compressor for decent price with a larger capacity so that it doesn't have to refill often.

Edit: and then build a sound proof box around it. I figure it won't cost that much. There's a few youtube videos on it I believe

Last edited by MorganFreeman; 04-18-2017 at 01:40 AM.
MorganFreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuksul08 View Post
Sup.

. It also struggles to keep up when blowing a lot of air (air tool, blow dry, sand blaster) and gets pretty warm. The plus side is that it's 110V and can be picked up by 1 person.

What have you got in your garage/shop? Any recommendations?
You need a bigger tank. 13 gallon is also too small if you are using it "a lot", like you say.

For years, I liked the portability of a smaller compressor, so I had a 13 gallon craftsman and I bought a 40 GAL pressure vessel and hooked them up together with quick disconnects. If I needed the volume, I pressurized them both. If not, I disconnected the 40 GAL. I liked the setup. It was still loud when on.

Later, I got a 60 GAL Ingersoll Rand, Great compressor. It was $699.
325seeeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
ryanwhite74115

My Ride: 2013 Infiniti G37S
50 gallon or go home at that price...seriously why the fvck are we even debating this?

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-60-G...sor/1000106783
Old 04-18-2017, 07:49 AM   #7
trizzuth

My Ride: 231k, 16yr old B3AST
These days, you're most likely way better off if you invest in a quality set of electric lithium powered tools. There are no cords, and with the power these things put out, they do just about every job as good as an air compressor tool or better. Not to mention you have the freedom of no hose.

I use my Milwaukee lithium hand ratcheting screw driver for many things, and have bought a socket adapter so I can put sockets on it. It don't break lugs, but once I have them cracked, it pulls them off with ease. There are other lithium powered ratchets that will easily break the lug torque though. Also bought a ratchet that makes most car work 10 times easier since you can just push the button instead of swinging the ratchet back and forth (amazing for jobs like a valve cover gasket (don't torque it down though) and oil pan gasket) - or other hard to reach areas where you have minimal room to swing a ratchet arm.

Other than that, I bought this one from HF awhile back, must have had this thing for at least 8 years now, still works good, mostly just use it for filling tires, and blowing dust off with the air pressure here and there.

http://www.harborfreight.com/8-gal-2...sor-69667.html
Old 04-18-2017, 09:10 AM   #8
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
$2k for an air compressor? Hard pass. As was said, get the electric version of what you need and use that. The only air tools I have are nail guns and impacts. Other than that I just use the compressor to fill tires.

Your small compressor can do nail guns and impacts just fine. For the high volume tools, get electric and specifically the cordless ones.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #9
boostedisbetter

My Ride: NiNe tHoUsAnD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
$2k for an air compressor? Hard pass. As was said, get the electric version of what you need and use that. The only air tools I have are nail guns and impacts. Other than that I just use the compressor to fill tires.

Your small compressor can do nail guns and impacts just fine. For the high volume tools, get electric and specifically the cordless ones.

I see what you did.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:34 AM   #10
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedisbetter View Post
I see what you did.
You picked up what I threw down. $2k has electric power steering. None of that hydraulic nonsense.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #11
Ynot

My Ride: 997
I have the Makita MAC700, I used it for everything, fill up the tires, bikes, power tools, working on the car, blowing out the sprinklers, etc. It small and powerful, it's nearly silent compared to my craftsman which I never use anymore.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001Q2VK0?psc=1
Old 04-18-2017, 11:14 AM   #12
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Yea, 2k for a 110v compressor is roflwaffles. Buddy of mine just picked up a new Ingersoll 55ish (don't remember exactly) 240v monster on craigslist for like $1100. No compressors are quiet, which is why in shops they are usually housed outside the shop. Im with sam, battery tech has come a long way, electric tools are generally much more convenient for the home mechanic. For that 2K, keep your pancake compressor for the nailers and buy into the 20V dewalt (my personal preference) system and you'll be golden. For my home use, I bought this kit a while back, works like a charm for all small stuff and tires. I do have some leftover airtools from back in the day when I had my 55 gallon craftsman, so I CAN run a cutoff wheel or a sander off of this this IF I really must, and it's annoying because it never shuts off, but it will get the job done.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Ca...2234/203471431

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-18-2017 at 11:16 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:18 AM   #13
SamDoe1

I have this air compressor. It has a fairly small tank but a high flow rate. In the event I need to run a high consumption tool, it'll be able to keep up just fine. Won't stop running but at least I can keep working in the very rare occasion I need to do something like that.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55146...+aircompressor
Old 04-18-2017, 11:33 AM   #14
kuksul08

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedisbetter View Post
I see what you did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Yea, 2k for a 110v compressor is roflwaffles. Buddy of mine just picked up a new Ingersoll 55ish (don't remember exactly) 240v monster on craigslist for like $1100. No compressors are quiet, which is why in shops they are usually housed outside the shop. Im with sam, battery tech has come a long way, electric tools are generally much more convenient for the home mechanic. For that 2K, keep your pancake compressor for the nailers and buy into the 20V dewalt (my personal preference) system and you'll be golden. For my home use, I bought this kit a while back, works like a charm for all small stuff and tires. I do have some leftover airtools from back in the day when I had my 55 gallon craftsman, so I CAN run a cutoff wheel or a sander off of this this IF I really must, and it's annoying because it never shuts off, but it will get the job done.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Porter-Ca...2234/203471431
That's really the main benefit of this one, and why it's so expensive. It also doesn't have oil, so the only thing you need is a dryer and you can do painting. You make a good point. 2k is better spent on lithium tools.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I have this air compressor. It has a fairly small tank but a high flow rate. In the event I need to run a high consumption tool, it'll be able to keep up just fine. Won't stop running but at least I can keep working in the very rare occasion I need to do something like that.

https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-D55146...+aircompressor
I actually have this same one, an older version. The D55155. I wish it had wheels like that one! I was surprised to learn that it's rated for 100% duty cycle; it sure gets hot when running continuously though. My biggest complaint is how often it runs, and how loud it is. Maybe I can get a muffler for it? I would build a sound insulating box around it but it will need cooling to prevent overheating.

Guess my biggest problem is the noise. Here I am peacefully working in the garage on some project, and every few minutes the compressor kicks on startling me.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:05 PM   #15
SamDoe1

Quote:
I actually have this same one, an older version. The D55155. I wish it had wheels like that one! I was surprised to learn that it's rated for 100% duty cycle; it sure gets hot when running continuously though. My biggest complaint is how often it runs, and how loud it is. Maybe I can get a muffler for it? I would build a sound insulating box around it but it will need cooling to prevent overheating.

Guess my biggest problem is the noise. Here I am peacefully working in the garage on some project, and every few minutes the compressor kicks on startling me.
Muffler won't help quiet electric motor noise...

Can you just run it outside or something? Just build a small hut to keep the water out but vented enough for cooling.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 04-18-2017 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:03 PM   #16
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:

That's really the main benefit of this one, and why it's so expensive. It also doesn't have oil, so the only thing you need is a dryer and you can do painting. You make a good point. 2k is better spent on lithium tools.

It's like a silencer on a firearm...they are not silent, just quieter. Same with the compressors. It's not quiet, just quieter. Any compressor thats inside a garage with you will drown out a radio for instance. Yours sounds like an air condenser....I admit, it's much quieter than mine, but again, still loud enough to annoy, and for the casual home mechanic, not worth the premium (just my .02 of course.)

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-18-2017 at 01:05 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #17
trizzuth

My Ride: 231k, 16yr old B3AST
Electric has no compressor noise bitch

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 04-19-2017, 07:52 PM   #18
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzuth View Post
Electric has no compressor noise bitch

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
But an electric compressor does...
Old 04-21-2017, 12:44 PM   #19
Knight

My Ride: '05 330Ci | '01 325i
Do you guys empty the tank after each use?
Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:14 PM   #20
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight View Post
Do you guys empty the tank after each use?
For my garage one no, for the house one yes.