E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-16-2006, 10:05 AM   #1
Leo_bmw_acs3

My Ride: 318i
N42 Valvetronic bolt on turbo!

hie...to all the pros here...
i have bolt on custom turbo kit on my N42 4cyl valvetronic engine,and facing only this gearbox problem!! ones the boots kicks in the gearbox will automaticly switch to ''emergency-run program''.... have anyone in this forums hav face this problem as well or maybe any pro know what is going wrong??thanks
Leo_bmw_acs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:13 AM   #2
Leo_bmw_acs3

pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitledioio.JPG
Views:	782
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	191621  
Old 08-16-2006, 11:27 AM   #3
futurezero
Horror Business

My Ride: E92 335i|'11 Impreza
I'd assume the increase in torque triggers an error. Do you have any kind of software tuning?
Old 08-16-2006, 11:37 AM   #4
Leo_bmw_acs3

more pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitledkkkk.JPG
Views:	6529
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	191622   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00084jhn.JPG
Views:	17717
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	191623   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00086ghvc.JPG
Views:	5828
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	191624  
Old 08-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #5
Leo_bmw_acs3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo|futurezero
I'd assume the increase in torque triggers an error. Do you have any kind of software tuning?
now it is just running with a sub fuel injecter controler unit
Old 08-16-2006, 11:41 AM   #6
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
Time for a 5-speed swap...

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada

Follow me on Instagram: yippee_ki_dave
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:44 AM   #7
Leo_bmw_acs3

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111
Time for a 5-speed swap...
u mean my transmission cannot take it??
Old 08-16-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
david05111

Its not so much that the transmission can't take it, its that the software that works with it is a pain in the ass. The 5-speed doesn't have any software associated with it, so you wouldn't get that error. There is also a chance that the auto tranny wouldn't be able to handle the power that is now being pushed through that engine. How much power do you think you are making?

The advantage of the 5-speed is that you can get a heavier clutch disk to be able to handle more power, not to mention its more fun to drive!

Old 08-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #9
mikeygar

My Ride: E36, E46
subscribing
mikeygar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 11:56 AM   #10
Leo_bmw_acs3

Quote:
Its not so much that the transmission can't take it, its that the software that works with it is a pain in the ass. The 5-speed doesn't have any software associated with it, so you wouldn't get that error. There is also a chance that the auto tranny wouldn't be able to handle the power that is now being pushed through that engine. How much power do you think you are making?

The advantage of the 5-speed is that you can get a heavier clutch disk to be able to handle more power, not to mention its more fun to drive!
is there anyway to tune the software?? pushed to 0.55bar b4 i think about 210++hp on engine la....if im not mistaken...
agree......more fun but not on traffic JAM!!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:12 PM   #11
mikeygar

dude - bring your car to BMW and plugin to a GT1 and check the error codes. Need to know if it really IS the transmission and not something else. I'm assuming it's somehting else and transmission light turns on to notify that somehting is wrong elsewhere and to prevent damage, it goes into 'limp mode'.

Keep this thread going with good info dude. Best of luck!
Old 08-16-2006, 12:16 PM   #12
david05111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo_bmw_acs3
is there anyway to tune the software?? pushed to 0.55bar b4 i think about 210++hp on engine la....if im not mistaken...
agree......more fun but not on traffic JAM!!
Yea traffic jams are tough. I'm sure there is a way to tune it, but it gets harder with custom work. Your first step should be to take it to the nearest dealer and speak to a good technician and see what his take on it is. They may be able to reprogram the tranny software to disable the "limp" error that you are experiencing.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #13
mikeygar

BTW for our US fanatics - AFAIK there is no available tuning for valvetronic systems except for the Alpina 7 series. I've searched ALL over the world taking to different custom tuners, and the reply is all the same: either in preliminary R&D or too difficult due to new encryption.

Also, the N42 and N46 engines are the new generation valvetronic 2.0L engines released all over the world except the US and maybe Canada.

If cam settings (valvetronic) cannot be modified, very difficult to produce more power. Which is why in the UK they released the 320si with the same N4X series engine, but WITHOUT valvetronic. Immediate 30HP increase
Old 08-16-2006, 12:30 PM   #14
Leo_bmw_acs3

Quote:
Yea traffic jams are tough. I'm sure there is a way to tune it, but it gets harder with custom work. Your first step should be to take it to the nearest dealer and speak to a good technician and see what his take on it is. They may be able to reprogram the tranny software to disable the "limp" error that you are experiencing.
i hav check with a bmw technician today...he told me it is a trobleshooting called '' CAN BUS'.....dun really know wat it means....,but if i restart my engine a drive smoothly with going 0.15bar ++....the transmision error light will not a comes on....
Old 08-16-2006, 12:33 PM   #15
Leo_bmw_acs3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygar
BTW for our US fanatics - AFAIK there is no available tuning for valvetronic systems except for the Alpina 7 series. I've searched ALL over the world taking to different custom tuners, and the reply is all the same: either in preliminary R&D or too difficult due to new encryption.

Also, the N42 and N46 engines are the new generation valvetronic 2.0L engines released all over the world except the US and maybe Canada.

If cam settings (valvetronic) cannot be modified, very difficult to produce more power. Which is why in the UK they released the 320si with the same N4X series engine, but WITHOUT valvetronic. Immediate 30HP increase
i dun really know how valvetronic works??? anyway izzt the same thing as VTEC??
i hav start the first step there is no turning back...
Old 08-17-2006, 12:20 AM   #16
BMR2NV

My Ride: E46 318I 2002
dude im from aus and i did exactly the same thing with my e46 2002 318i with n42 engine and trannyy,, i custom turbod the car to. But let me tell you something give up on the auto because i had searched around everywhere trying to get it to work and finally after a year of trying and research i gave up on the idea ( even beefing up the auto still didnt stop it going into limp mode)... The software is to complex. Only alternative is to swap the auto for a manual
BMR2NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:56 AM   #17
Casanova
Europrojektz Malaysia

My Ride: E46/E92/RX8
Send a message via ICQ to Casanova Send a message via AIM to Casanova Send a message via MSN to Casanova
aiyo Leo....didn't I tell you on the phone already? Everyone is giving you the same answers...

either:
1) Change your tranny to 5-speed manual
2) Find a real software tuner to tune the ECU, piggy-backing isn't gonna do you any good.

Talk to Shedden, he said he'll find you a tuner. Call me again if you have anymore questions.

Director of Europrojektz Malaysia Chapter
Hamann GT-R Widebody | Modified AA-Tuning supercharger kit
My New Ride
Casanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:50 AM   #18
BMW_DK

My Ride: BMW 320d EDE (F30)
Just a thought. Couldn't you use the tranny SW that ESS has made for the I6's? Is the tranny or ECU different between the I4's / Valvetronic engines and I6's?

Since the power made is even lower than what the 330i makes, there has got to be a solution.

BMW E46 330i Touring (sold)
Alfa Romeo Giulietta 2.0 JTDm (gone as with many other cars)
BMW_DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 01:31 PM   #19
mikeygar

it's the valvetronic - afaik, only the 7 series has had success in reprogramming valvetronic. I think it was done by Alpina.

No fun stuff for E90s for awhile I guess, unless there are already.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:08 PM   #20
MarvelPhx
www.my330i.com

My Ride: E92335i,04ZHP,99M3
Send a message via AIM to MarvelPhx
ESS has engine software for the Valvetronics, but putting a turbo/sc on one is a very, very tricky endeavor. You can't boost much into them before you will get a valvetrain error... basically the boost keeps the valves open longer than the DME likes them to be. I wonder if this is the problem he is having which kicks it into limp mode.