E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 102 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:38 PM   #3881
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Got 'er dun. 99.2 miles, 9 hrs 4 min overall, 7 hr 32 min moving, 5,522 ft elevation gain.

44 degs at start, forecast was for a high of 59, I don't know that it ever got that high. We had a lot of clouds, which was actually kinda nice. But it got windy in the afternoon. Nothing like having to pedal to go faster than 13 mph on a -2 degree downhill. The route had us climb 520 ft between mile 90 and mile 93. Bastards.

Having said all that, though, it was really a nice ride. The route starts and ends in Creston, CA, which is a tiny town in the rural/agricultural area east of San Luis Obispo/Atascadero/Paso Robles. The downside of that is ag roads aren't always the greatest with all the truck and tractor traffic they carry. So we had some stretches that were frame rattlers. But the pavement in other places was really quite good. The views were great, lots of open pasture, tons of wildflowers in yellow and blue, cows, horses, goats, alpacas, and I passed a sign for a llama and emu ranch. SLOBC does a good job organizing the ride, lots of volunteers.

People often rave about the food at the rest stops on certain rides. I'm not a foodie, but I think when you're out there grinding it out and tasting road grime, sweat, and sunblock hour after hour, they could serve dirt-on-gravel sandwiches and riders would think om-nom-nom. I will say that on this ride, the snacks and food were good. At the 4th rest stop, one of the dudes had his tailgate grill going and was making cheese quesadillas with mini tortillas. Que bueno.

I think things worked out pretty well with my riding position. I tweaked the saddle just a tiny bit higher before the ride. I had some knee aches during the ride, but I decided that I'm still trying to pedal mash and I'm not drawing down with my glutes at the top of the downstroke. When I would pay attention to that and do more spinning in circles and less mashing down of the pedals, the ache would go away. I also need to work on keeping my shoulders relaxed. I kept finding myself hunching them up, probably partially from the longer reach and also just as a result of kinda tensing into the wind/high effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
The question is, will the glutes be willing to ride in circles to click over 100...
The answer was, NO! A) When I got to the finish, I wanted to ride exactly 0 more miles. B) As I was riding along thinking about hitting the number, I didn't want the mileage to be fake. I wanted my mileage data to accurately reflect the distance of the ride. Sigh, I'll just have to find another century that actually routes 1XX miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Forgot to add that i got in a little over 8 miles yesterday, booya!
20 inch blades, on the Impala...
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:18 PM   #3882
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Sounds like a great ride!

Good to hear the riding position might be working. I too still have to remind myself to relax my shoulders.

You should have ridden in a zig zag pattern all day. Would have easily made up the extra 8 tenths.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #3883
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
Hey guys, I'll post back here tomorrow with more info but some guy that was going down a hill with me sped up and turned blindly to the left in front of me. No time to stop and I ended plowing into the drivers door and completely flipped over. I'm ok, but my right thigh is swollen/sore. left wrist and back are ok for now...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2924.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	148.5 KB
ID:	653245   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2915.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	653246  
Solidjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 10:22 PM   #3884
MP0WER

That's messed up. Glad you're ok.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Old 04-16-2017, 04:55 PM   #3885
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
Hey guys, I'll post back here tomorrow with more info but some guy that was going down a hill with me sped up and turned blindly to the left in front of me. No time to stop and I ended plowing into the drivers door and completely flipped over. I'm ok, but my right thigh is swollen/sore. left wrist and back are ok for now...
How you doing?
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:00 AM   #3886
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Right thigh is bruised up bad (purple/yellow lol). Haven't heard anything from the other party and I'm waiting for my medical bill to come in the mail.

LSB said the front fork should be replaced since the carbon might have cracks in it but I think I should take it to a shop specializing in carbon repair for them to inspect it. I really miss riding....
Old 04-17-2017, 08:20 AM   #3887
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
you can do the tap test to check the fork out, or you can do a real test I think they use ultrasound to look inside it.

Most of the energy was likely absorbed into the wheel, but you def don't want to run the risk of riding on a suspect fork.

05 ZHP w/Epic tuned s54, Euro headers&Sect.1, Dinan 3.91 and a lot of other things built by Road Race Technologies
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:24 AM   #3888
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Yea, I was thinking the same thing. Most likely it IS ok but I have to know for certain. Last thing I want it to be riding fast and the fork snaps on me. I'm trying to meet up with this guy and pick up this trek to use as a commuter bike. I think the price is good and it was tuned up recently

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/bik/6072074613.html
Old 04-18-2017, 05:18 AM   #3889
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Picked up a '15 Giant Defy 5 for $350 yesterday. Has Jagwire cables, recent tune up (shifts great), Conti Gatorskin tires 23c, no scuffs whatsoever.
Swapped over my shimano pedals and took it for a quick ride. I had to adjust the seat up a bit higher since the frame is a bit smaller than my cannondale but it's comfortable. I just need to slide the seat forward since it's angled up too much.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3084.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	225.9 KB
ID:	653672  
Old 04-18-2017, 12:12 PM   #3890
MP0WER

Sweet! Glad you're on the rebound!

Old 04-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #3891
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Thanks! Looking to do a 30-35 mi ride tomorrow in the morning. The bike is pretty good. 8 gears in the back but it's decent.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #3892
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Did 35mi the other day on the Giant, ride smooooooooth. Only problem is that there's some metal clunk when I go over sharp bumps. All bolts are tight so I'm not sure what it might be.

50mi bike tour around Staten Island tomorrow morning this is the route give or take

https://www.strava.com/activities/284146963
Old 04-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #3893
JohnBlaze

My Ride: Black Sunshine
could the metal clunk be cable sheathing slapping on the frame when the hit happens?

How much different is the ride compared to the Cannondale?

*edit, check your steer cap but first loosen the rear of the stem that attaches it, then tighten the cap. There might be an ever so little bit of play that could become audible during the hard hits. Maybe?

05 ZHP w/Epic tuned s54, Euro headers&Sect.1, Dinan 3.91 and a lot of other things built by Road Race Technologies

Last edited by JohnBlaze; 04-22-2017 at 09:51 AM.
JohnBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #3894
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

I'll double check it again, thanks,

Rolling resistance is very low on the gatorskin tires, the 8 gears in the back makes it a bit more challenging with elevation changes since the resistance difference is higher than the 11 speed 105 gearing. Little bit rougher ride but not terrible. The C'dale definately picks up speed a lot quicker and going up hills is much easier.
Old 04-26-2017, 05:50 AM   #3895
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Dogma F10

Last edited by Solidjake; 04-26-2017 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:57 PM   #3896
MP0WER

Quote:
Dogma F10

You know they released that damn thing the day after i got the F8. lol

though, i don't see much that has changed other than color and i think some material usage. I think they added some access panel for Di2 components too.

But yea....

Last edited by MP0WER; 04-26-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 04:04 PM   #3897
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

You have an F8? I'm freaking jealous.... when I hit 35 I will treat myself to a top tier bike.

Yea it has the Di2 compatibility and I've seen some shots of the F10 with it installed. It must shift so nice with that system. How does the Pinarello ride compared to brands such as Cannondale, Scott, Specialized, etc? And if you've been on Colnago's
Old 04-26-2017, 06:32 PM   #3898
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Btw I still wasn't able to meet up with the guy who specializes in carbon repair to check the bike. I did a tap test and there's a small dullness near by seat post where you can see the white under the paint in the pic below. There is also some dull sound near the ends of the fork where the wheel goes (wheel popped off during impact so I'm not sure if the carbon is damaged there or if it's normal due to the size of the fork there)

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3193.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	654120  
Old 04-26-2017, 08:45 PM   #3899
MP0WER

Quote:
You have an F8? I'm freaking jealous.... when I hit 35 I will treat myself to a top tier bike.

Yea it has the Di2 compatibility and I've seen some shots of the F10 with it installed. It must shift so nice with that system. How does the Pinarello ride compared to brands such as Cannondale, Scott, Specialized, etc? And if you've been on Colnago's
Yeah i got it built up around the first of the year. I really like it. Unfortunately, i only have my old BMC Granfondo 02 to compare it to. Those are the only two bikes i've had. I went with eTap over Di2, so that part of the F10 isn't appealing to me. The F8 is likely made in the same Tiwan factories that most of the other top tier carbon bikes. I'm assuming most of the top tier bikes are similar in specs and character. The difference in geometry and materials between the BMC and F8 is substantial. Responsiveness is fantastic, it feels much more efficient when it comes to putting the power to the ground. Yet not so stiff that it beats me up.

Old 04-26-2017, 08:47 PM   #3900
MP0WER

Quote:
Btw I still wasn't able to meet up with the guy who specializes in carbon repair to check the bike. I did a tap test and there's a small dullness near by seat post where you can see the white under the paint in the pic below. There is also some dull sound near the ends of the fork where the wheel goes (wheel popped off during impact so I'm not sure if the carbon is damaged there or if it's normal due to the size of the fork there)

Seems to me that the sound of tapping would change as you get closer to tubular intersections and solid blocks of carbon, like at the fork drop outs.

The lay up of carbon is going to be thicker where the tubes meet together and as mentioned, the fork drop outs are going to be solid carbon. The have to make different sounds than the middle of a tube.