E46 Fanatics Forum banner

= Driveshaft vibration/balance? =

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  wat3rbug 
#1 · (Edited)
My father and I recently swapped out my bad stock diff for a used OEM one from a ZHP. Shortly thereafter, I noticed a slight humming/vibration in the driveline. Over time, the slight vibration grew much more pronounced. Here is what I feel:

When you turn right (at speed, +10 MPH), the vibration/sound goes away completely. This does not happen when you turn left however. Vibration sounds/feels like the transmission area, yet there is no vibration through the shifter rod whatsoever.

Initial try at curing vibration started with swapping out my 19" for my stock M68 17". This did not solve the vibration issue (this ruled out an unbalanced wheel).

First thought (when the vibration was minor and noticeably different when turning left vs right), wheel bearings. Replaced both sides, no dice.

Second thing, might as well replace the front control arm bushings, since they were shot; Replaced with OEM, no fix to vibration.

Third... gotta be that differential we put in. Replaced with another... still no fix.

My thought is that the driveshaft must be unbalanced. The front and rear joints appear to be in good condition. But why is it that the vibration disappears when turning right vs. left? Does it have something to do with the rotation of the driveshaft not being circularly balanced (?) :hmm: This will probably be one for the shop to figure out...

Has anyone experienced these issues?

See less See more
#3 ·
New diff?

So I'm thinking guibo bad or not replaced properly (or csb bad or not replaced properly).

Guibo, if off by one screw will cause bad vibrations. CSB if not preloaded would do the same.

I'm liking the guibo mostly though (just a sixth sense kind of thing). Check install procedures carefully...though it can go on anyway...only one way is right.

Although bolts need to go in facing the correct way...three facing front and three back...and iirc, the nut goes on the flange side, not on the guibo...but there are three thick surfaces and three 'thinner' surfaces...and again, iirc...the thick sides face the trans flange...and the thinner sides go onto the driveshaft flanges.

Rather than go elsewhere to solve the issue...deal with things that you removed to get the diff in...so I'm sure you had to drop the driveshaft...or no?

I haven't dropped a diff myself...but am pretty sure the driveshaft has to come out for that...but am sure you or someone will correct me if I'm wrong...though that's only happened to me 457,332 times now...so unlikely! LOL

HTH

Doug

#4 ·
dmax, thanks for the tip, but yeah, we did not have to drop the driveshaft for this install. We were only dealing with the rear input flange on the diff and where it connects to the driveshaft, so the Guibo nor the center support bearing were ever removed.

Diff bushings look good as well...

#5 · (Edited)
My first thought would what Doug said, but here are some other options. Wheel bearings? Spin them to see if you have some noise or play since you mentioned a side having a vibration. That's all that I can think of at the moment. Nevermind I reread the thread and you went through wheel bearings already.

#6 ·
Sadly yes I'm experiencing the same issue but from replacing the front shaft. The vibration and ripped boot were why I changed my front shaft. Sway bar end links got replaced and diminished the shaking a bit but as I suspected weren't the cause of the issue. The car was realigned with no change except to tire wear, as I suspected. Mine may be the tires and I need to change one out anyway (the other was changed 3 months ago). When I think of some more ideas I'll let you know what I find.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.