E46 Fanatics Forum banner

OEM M3 PARTS ON NON-M - modding guide

853K views 961 replies 382 participants last post by  m3jala 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Since a lot of threads pop up about fitting OEM M3 parts on Non-M cars, I figured we might as well have a thread that explains everything. This will be a list, hopefully including part numbers, of everything you'll need to fit OEM M3 parts on a Non-M.

---

Front Bumper:

Difficulty: 4/10
DIY: Maybe.
Installation:
- Coupe: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=40
- Sedan: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=41
Part Numbers:
- Re-Bar: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=51_3229&hg=51&fg=15
- Bumper: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=51_4781&hg=51&fg=15

This will fit on okay, but will need some tinkering to fit flush with the stock non-m fenders. Without modification, the bumper sits about an inch and a half forward and the sides flare out an inch or so; on a sedan, it's a slightly bigger gap. To fix this, some people opt for the OEM CF reinforcement bar and stretch the sides in a little bit, while others simply shave down the stock bar to allow the bumper to sit farther back.

Safe Alternatives:
- OEM Mtech2 front bumper (available at your local BMW dealership)
- M3/ CSL replica bumper (available through many of the sponsors here at e46)

---

Front Fenders:

Difficulty: 5/10
DIY: If you're looking to save money, then a DIY would be nice.
Part Numbers:
FRONT LEFT 41357894337 $281.23
FRONT RIGHT 41357894338 $281.23

The OEM M3 Fenders will fit on nicely, but will be wider than the stock coupe front bumper. An M3-fitment front will fit perfectly flush with these.

Safe Alternatives:
- Racing Dynamics Tornado

---

Hood:

DIY: Absolutely.
DOES NOT FIT SEDAN!
Part Number:
HOOD 41617894223 $558.00

Minor fender modification is needed for 100% fit. Most people do this by simply spacing the fenders out by using washers.

Safe Alternatives (for coupes/verts ONLY):
- Carbon Fiber (available from many aftermarket companies)
- Vorsteiner GTR
- Hartge-Style

---

Mirrors:

Difficulty: 2/10 (coupe/vert), 4/10 (sedan/wagon)
DIY: Yes.
Installation:
- Coupe: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=6
- Sedan:
... Assembly: http://www.e46fanatics.com/howto/howtodetail.php?howto_id=27
... Base Plate Modification: http://www.rogueengineering.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=E46M3MIR
Part Numbers:
RIGHT PRIMED EL.EXTER.HEATABLE MIRROR 51167893468 $232.13
LEFT PRIMED EL.EXTERIOR HEATABLE MIRROR 51167893597 $232.13
ACTUATOR LEFT 51167895273 $169.63
ACTUATOR RIGHT 51167895274 $169.63
MIRROR GLASS HEATED PLANE LEFT 51167157247 $46.59
ADAPTER LEAD, MIRROR HEATING 51167836442 $6.58
MIRROR GLASS HEATED CONVEX RIGHT 51167157244 $58.31
ADAPTER LEAD, MIRROR HEATING 51167836442 $6.58

On coupes and convertibles, they're a direct bolt on. For sedans and wagons, the bases have to be modified slightly.

Safe Alternatives:
- M3 Replica Mirrors (M5-look) (available through sponsors)
- Hammann/Hagus (available through sponsors)
- AC-Schnitzer (available through sponsors)
- e36 M3-style (available on ebay)
- Hartge

---

Side Skirts:

Difficulty: 2/10

Direct bolt on. No modifications needed. On sedans and tourings, the skirts will be a couple millimeters too long. No biggie though...

Safe Alternatives:
- Hammann GTR
- Hammann Competition
- OEM Mtech2
- AC-Schnitzer
- OEM Aero Kit (a.k.a. 'Mtech1')

---

Rear Quarter Panels/Fenders:

Difficulty: 9/10
DIY: NO!
Heavy modifications are needed for these to work. In short, a body shop will need to cut your existing quarter panels to smithereens and weld the M3 ones into place. This will require many hours of labor and lots and lots of money. This process is also irreversible. Only do this if you're absolutely certain that your pocket can take the hit.

(Not-so-safe) Alternatives:
- Custom widebody

---

Rear Bumper:

Difficulty: 6/10
DIY: Probably not.
Part Numbers:
- Re-Bar: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=51_3306&hg=51&fg=15
- Bumper: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=BL93&mospid=47714&btnr=51_4219&hg=51&fg=15

This has only been tried a handfull of times, but this mod is usually accompanied by a widebody. Since there's such a difference between M and non-M rear fenders, this bumper is a good inch or two too wide. To fit this correctly, you'll either need to do some hardcore molding and reshaping of the bumper, or a custom widebody in the rear. If you can deal with the bumper flexing and creating numerous noticeable gaps, then I guess you could do it without modifying anything (and only stretching the sides of the bumper in). Again, this mod isn't highly recommended unless you're serious about modifying your car.

Safe Alternatives:
- Hammann GTR
- Mtech2
- OEM Aero Kit (a.k.a. Mtech1)
- Various rear addons

---

Trunk (including CSL trunks):

Difficulty: 3/10
DOES NOT FIT SEDAN!
Part Numbers:
- M SPOILER REAR, PRIMED 51717893671 $139.50
- TRUNK LID 41627065260 $430.78

Some people (for whatever reason) want OEM trunks on their cars. The trunks are the exact same dimensions for M and non-M cars, therefore this is a direct bolt-on. No biggie.

Safe Alternatives:
- M3 Trunk Lip (yes, it fits fine)
- CSL Replica Trunks (Vorsteiner)
- CSL Addons (eh)
- Bimmain CSL-Style Addons (very nice looking IMO)
- ACS 3-Piece Race Wing
- ACS 3-Piece Trunk Spoiler
- ACS 1-Piece Trunk Spoiler

---

Muffler:
DIY: No. (leave it to any reputable muffler shop)

Despite what many people think, this mod isn't very hard to do. Here's what you'll need to do:
- Either cut the spare tire well ($100ish) or get an OEM M3 one put on ($150ish) in order to allow room for the muffler box.
- Get a new rear bumper to accomodate the sexy, center-exiting, quad tailpipes.
- Go to a muffler shop and have them weld it on. Just the welding and bracketry shouldn't cost more than $100 in total.

Safe Alternatives:
- Custom quad exhausts
- Remus/Eisenmann quad exhausts

---

Wheels/Tires:

DIY: Sure.

To get a set of four to fit, you will need to do some hardcore fender rolling and buy some smaller tires. To ensure proper fitment and to avoid a headache, I'd probably just find a set of four front wheels. These will fit just fine with no rubbing or modifications or anything.

Safe Alternatives:
- Anything :)

---

Gauges/Instrument Cluster:

Difficulty: ?/10
DIY: ?
Part Number: INSTRUMENTS COMBINATION UNCODED MPH 62117837972 $504.43

This has not been successfully done yet. People have plugged these in, and here are the results:

WORKS 100%:
- MPH
- RPM
- OnBoard Computer Functions
- Lights
- Indicators
- Engine Temp.
- Gas Info

DOES NOT WORK:
- Oil Temp. Needle
- RPM Warmup Lights
- Little orange ODO Tamper Light comes on...which is bad

This is a DIRECT PLUG AND PLAY, but will not work 100%. You be the judge...

Safe Alternatives:
- Bimmian M3-Style Gauges
- UUC Whiteface Gauges
- Silver Gauge Rings w/ Red Sharpie'd Needles

---

Steering Wheel:

Difficulty: 3/10
DIY: Yes
Part Number: M SPORTS STEER.-WHEEL, AIRBAG, LEATHER, BICOLOR 32348022322 $700.29

As long as you have the round airbag, this will be a direct bolt-on. The airbag, horn, radio buttons, cruise control, and everything else will work. Yay!!

---

More to be added later....

---

See less See more
#189 ·
Ok guys my coupe is going into the bodyshop for an accident repair, and i asked if they'd fit an M3 hood instead of the standard one and they said fine. But they've not fitted one before and I just wanted to be able to give them some pointers incase they werent sure what adjustments are needed. I'm getting very anxious that they wont get it to fit right :eek:

Heres a pic of the engine bay & fender. Is it under the circled bolts where extra washers are to be placed in order for the hood to fit just right?:hmm:

#194 ·
I am not sure whether this been posted or not but you can fit a M3 guibo/flex disc into a regular e46.

I did this on mine recently w/o a single issue. Plug and play. I can look up the part number if people need it.

Why install a M3 flex disc/guibo on a regular e46? the m3 flex disc is design more beefier. the e46 flexdisc is known to tear apart (search forum for guibo or flex disc). By installing the M3 flex disc in your e46 you are getting more extended life on it.

#202 ·
i am about to buy m3 wheels in about 1 hour from a local person, my car is not here with me so i would like to know the m3 wheels that are 8 inches wide would fit a 323i with no problems

these are no staggered they are all 8 inches wide

will i be ok

oh its 4 for 400 bucks

#204 ·
if they are OEM four fronts and not some aftermarket ones in a different oddball offset, you will be fine. (delete your previous blank post)

#217 ·
The M3 is heavier, thus their springs would raise any other e46.

my friend is getting a free set of aftermarket wheels m3 for his 04 330ci(coupe)

from what we found out the front should fit w/ no problems

how about the rears? will it fit? fender work .. how much rolling is needed

the car is stock with sport suspension...
:read: rears will not fit without serious modification, can't just roll (maybe with some skinny tires that wouldn't look good)

#331 ·

Had to put stiffer springs on rear to work. No scrub. but tight end not much bounce.
Ok, he did this without rolling the fenders and used stiffer rear springs. I have an '04 325Ci. Its my understanding that the '01+ coupes come standard with a sport suspension. My question is will '02 M3 wheels (18x8 and 18x8.5) fit on my car without MAJOR modifications? Thx

#222 ·
im working on a pioneer avic-d3 on my e46 coupe, since the heater core in the inside pertrudes past what i need in regards to spacing to fit the 6inch deep pioneer double deck i am taking it appart and extending everything, wish me luck!!!!! i will have pics up as soon as i can get it working. and if anyone know of any e46 m3s that have done an avic-d3 please let me know!!! i havent found anyone that has done one without cutting the heater core/airbox behid the stock radio. i do see that mybimmer.net has double din kits, and one is for the e46 and it looks like the pioneer unit is on it, im trying to understand how. is the depth different between a coupe and a 4 door??? anyone... thanks!!!IcEbErG

#224 ·
for the m3 cluster changeover couldn't you replace the oil temp sensor in the engine bay with an m3 one or something like that to get the oil temp readout and fix the m3 warmup lights? i know people who swap around older and newer RSX stuff and doing k20 swaps have some similar issues like that. or s2000 clusters in EF civics and DC2's

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.