E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Help SES light on??? Code P1188 and P1189

20K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  therednsx 
#1 ·
Just put in ASA SK+ on my 323 a week ago, my SES light came on 3 times throwing the same code everytime P1188 and P1189. I know they are some O2 sensor code.
I have check all lines for crack or lose don't seem like theres anything wrong with it. I just replace the plugs but it did not help, the car acts funny sometimes the idle will go up and down, it will have a delay between gear shift and WOT, it will even backfire sometime.

#2 ·
found this information after doing a :search: (Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=167180&highlight=1189

P1188- Fuel Control Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1189- Fuel Control Bank 2 Sensor 1

1. Check the fuel lines, ASA FPR first.
2. Check all the hoses. Check for leakages.
3. Reset the codes and go test drive.
4. If everything is ok for the next 80~100 miles or so, work on getting a set of Densos.

A misfire doesn't imply you need new sparks right away.

Hope this helps, Good luck.

#3 ·
What's FPR?

Saiyan said:
found this information after doing a :search: (Posted by Mr Paddle.Shift)

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=167180&highlight=1189

P1188- Fuel Control Bank 1 Sensor 1
P1189- Fuel Control Bank 2 Sensor 1

1. Check the fuel lines, ASA FPR first.
2. Check all the hoses. Check for leakages.
3. Reset the codes and go test drive.
4. If everything is ok for the next 80~100 miles or so, work on getting a set of Densos.

A misfire doesn't imply you need new sparks right away.

Hope this helps, Good luck.

#4 · (Edited)
also, searching and found this

P1188 - Linear 02 Sensor / Compensator Resistor Short to ground
P1189 - Linear 02 Sensor / Compensator Resistor Short to B+

Considering they are shorts, I would check to see if any wires got skinned or something. There is a pretty easy DIY somewhere about replacing the 02 sensor. good luck, hope this helps

#6 ·
#7 ·
IIRC, these are not BMW designated codes. The fuel control issues I posted are what BMW designated 1188/89 to be.

If ny SAE P-code starts with "1" as the second digit, the car manufacturer reserves the right to define the code.

Saiyan said:
also, searching and found this

P1188 - Linear 02 Sensor / Compensator Resistor Short to ground
P1189 - Linear 02 Sensor / Compensator Resistor Short to B+

Considering they are shorts, I would check to see if any wires got skinned or something. There is a pretty easy DIY somewhere about replacing the 02 sensor. good luck, hope this helps

#13 · (Edited)
Afm

K&N user with the SES light on. I cleaned and oiled the filter back in March but now the SES light comes on and stays on. I tried a fuel system cleaner and the light went off without clearing the code and then came back on a week or so later. I then replaced the fuel filter and reset the light, but its back on. Sometimes after I reset the fault codes I can drive several hundred miles (400-600) before the SES light comes on and sometimes I only can get 25 miles or so down the road before it comes on. I suspected that there may have been some oil from valve blow back (reversion) or that I may have applied too much oil on the filter and it has found its way to the AFM and screwed up the mixture. There is a period of rough idle at start up, but that***8217;s been going for a couple of years now on cool or cold days. I will go through the vacuum system, intake, Fuel cap, Filter, and "put eyes on" the AFM this Saturday. I will also look for exhaust leaks which can lead to blow back. BTW; keep in mind that valve blow back is normal on most engine but should not been an issue on a BMW DUAL VANOS engine. :tsk:

I'm totally lost here; Send Help!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.