E46 Fanatics Forum banner

How much power?

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  TRR330xi 
#1 ·
This question is mostly directed at ESS and AA, however, if members know the answer to my question, please chime in. Not trying to start a war here, just trying to do some research for my car.

I have done a search and it hasn't yielded any results. The closest I have come to my answer is with a step tranny: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=470573
However, my car is a manual, so I hopefully won't have any issues with the transmission apart from replacing the clutch.

The question is, how much power can a 330xi drivetrain take? I have heard conflicting answers, people say that the drivetrain can handle up to 400hp while others say that the XI should not be introduced to FI at all. Some people say the drivetrain is weak, while others say it's the strongest one built out there. I have seen supercharged XI's out there, but they are so few and far in between that I haven't seen any long-term testing.

I understand that the installation should be the same as a 330i and I have read that people in Europe run ESS superchargers on their XI's but still wonder about the reliability. I know that AA do offer kits for the XI too, so there is a small faction out there that have boosted XI's, I just never read anything from them about their system. I think it would be great to go FI, I understand I will never beat up on Evo's and STI's, but I would like to see the look on the driver's face when they see a XI actually hang with them for a bit.

Thanks for any advice anyone can give me.

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow. That's just crazy to hear. I'm excited to see how it holds up. Thanks for the response.

Some more questions. I am sure this has been covered before, but are US drivetrains different from European drivetrains in E46 regarding AWD? Anything specific that I need to watch out for since mine is a XI? Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.