E46 Fanatics Forum banner

330Ci Drag/Track/Street Car

227K views 593 replies 93 participants last post by  vaio76109 
#1 ·
This is a thread to continue where the two threads listed below have left off:
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=361254
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=445340
The “Engine” thread, and “Chassis” thread were created to chronicle the two very different aspects of my project in great detail. Now that the chassis and engine are 99% operational again, I’ll be posting all the updates and adventures with my 330Ci in this thread.<o:p></o:p>

#8 ·
subscribed :woot:

#13 ·
After getting severly sidetracked on a car audio project, the 330Ci is back to center stage:

Some may notice I've increased the size of the image to 1000 pixels across from 900. This is to allow greater detail to be shown, while still being somewhat easy to load. Enjoy the new image size!

Work on the 330Ci starts again tomorrow.

#20 ·
Waiting for the new roof to arrive, (which will surprise people) so I continued putting the rest of the car together.

Prep'ing trim pieces for installation:

Kidney grills installed:

Preparing to epoxy together the rear side window fasteners:

The hole in the window is where the above pictured piece will fit. Because I've removed the rear window actuators, the rear windows will have to be "bolted" closed.

Black window trim installed:

From a distance, you can barely notice it's on there. (Exactly how I want it)

Tomorrow I break out the welder to finish the rear side window fastening bracket. In retrospect, it would have been easier to re-use the side window actuators, but they were fastened to the rear deck...which was removed a loooong time ago.

#23 ·
I thought you were opting for lexan/polycarbonate bits on the rear-side windows and rear windscreen? Or are you just using the factory glass as a guide for fabrication of the rear-side window retainers?

A somewhat related question...IIRC, Targa rules require factory glass for the front windscreen, correct?

#26 ·
I thought you were opting for lexan/polycarbonate bits on the rear-side windows and rear windscreen? Or are you just using the factory glass as a guide for fabrication of the rear-side window retainers?

A somewhat related question...IIRC, Targa rules require factory glass for the front windscreen, correct?
To keep the car street legal, I have to run factory glass. Yes, I believe Targa requires a factory windscreen.

Sweet deal. I was just wondering why there was such a large space yet no lift.

Been following you builds closely. Its fun to read about, bet its even more fun to do it.

gl
Thanks! It's been fun at times, but to be honest, a lot of it has been really trying. I try to stay focused on the end result and how I'm going to enjoy that.

I've thought of putting a lift in, but so far have decided against it for space reasons. Having an open floor is nice...it gives you a lot of flexibility. I sometimes have other vehicles from the house parked in the shop...

Wow, I spent 4 hours reading through your other thread. Simply amazing, your attention to detail. Its so cool to see soeone get into racing and having fun leading up to it. Not just taking a check book and paying someone to make them a competitive car!!!

Good work!!
Thanks.

The detail comes from being around professional race cars. I've tried to take what I've learned from them, and apply that to my build. My check book has certainly taken a beating...but so have my hands. I'll be able to take a certain amount of pride in the latter when this thing is up and running again.

#31 ·
Todays progress, I installed a custom roof storage system:

Actually the new roof is installed, as well as the all the glass. (Glass not pictured) I also removed all the epoxy primer overspray on exterior body panels, and the tint on the glass has been changed...the car is looking sharp.

Rear sheetmetal painted flat black so I don't get reflections in the rear window:

It was still wet at that point, but it dried to be a nice satin.

I've got a few more details to wrap up tomorrow, then I should have the car loaded on the trailer tomorrow evening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.