E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2016, 05:41 PM   #1
Ev0lone

My Ride: 2000 328ci
2000 328ci auto

Yes it's auto...i know...no I'm not just buying and m3 and slap an intake on it...or no I will not just buy a 335 if I want a boosted car.

Lol sorry for that but people keep suggesting the easy way out for what I WANT to do...so here it goes.

Now this is my first legit post on here asking for some assitance so please if youre not going to add beneficial information then you do not need to put your two cents in.

So onto the reason of this thread.

My plan is to boost my m52tub28. Unfortunately I seen little to no information on people boosting a tu. Currently it's stock but my next move is doing the Porsche caliper swap using rallyroads caliper brackets with the m3 csl rotors.

From there I'm gonna start working on my shopping list for turbo parts and eventually put an smg in.

Now for my questions...
Head gasket...i been looking for a mls 140 gasket but I seen to find nothing listed under a tu...all i seem to find is m52 or m54...would one of those work with a tu?

As far as a stroker kit to turn my 2.8 into a 3.0...is there a way to do this without having to shave down piston?

Turbo option...i kind of want to cheap out a bit initially until I actually decide to bite the bullet and get a greddy unit I kind of want to rip a stock turbo off a car and have a friend of mine fabricate a manifold for me. Any ideas on what turbo or car would be a good choice to rip one out of? Obv I plan on rebuilding the turbo before installation so just kind of curious as to what would be a good choice.

Exhaust i plan on fabricating with some magnaflow outlaws or if i find a good turboback I may go that route.

I plan on ripping some Injectors out of a Volvo or maybe jus buy green bocshe injectors from ecs.

Fuel pump...i seen a few online but does anyone have a good suggestion?

I plan on slapping m50 cams on provably before i even boost along with an m50 intake manifold...now ivr heard this requires me to turn my car to obd1 but I've seen a bracket for it so i can use my current throttle body...if anyone had any info on this that woulf be a lot of help.

And for the biggest issue of them all...anyone know any reputable tuners in North jersey?!?!? Lol I've spoken with a few few and im noy sure if they just don't feel comfortable with bmw engines but that's where i leep gettting these "just buy am m3/335"

So lets see how this goes
Ev0lone is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
Ev0lone

My Ride: 2000 328ci
Bump
Ev0lone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Forget about it.

I've pushed a heavily upgraded 5HP19 automatic past it's limits with only 5 PSI of boost. (I have more $$$ in my transmission setup than the cost of your entire car)
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:09 PM   #4
TrippinBimmer

My Ride: Just Fast!
Send a message via AIM to TrippinBimmer Send a message via Yahoo to TrippinBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI330Ci View Post
Forget about it.

I've pushed a heavily upgraded 5HP19 automatic past it's limits with only 5 PSI of boost. (I have more $$$ in my transmission setup than the cost of your entire car)
I would take Adam advice to heart. I am in need of a new transmission soon only 92k on it
TrippinBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:11 PM   #5
autospeed_01

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Now for my questions...
Head gasket...i been looking for a mls 140 gasket but I seen to find nothing listed under a tu...all i seem to find is m52 or m54...would one of those work with a tu?

Use the m54 parts, the tu shares a lot of its design with the m54. The older cast iron engine had different coolant passages and the head gasket from that definitely won't work.

As far as a stroker kit to turn my 2.8 into a 3.0...is there a way to do this without having to shave down piston?

M54 crank, con-rods and pistons.

Turbo option...i kind of want to cheap out a bit initially until I actually decide to bite the bullet and get a greddy unit I kind of want to rip a stock turbo off a car and have a friend of mine fabricate a manifold for me. Any ideas on what turbo or car would be a good choice to rip one out of? Obv I plan on rebuilding the turbo before installation so just kind of curious as to what would be a good choice.

Search it. The information is endless on various forums for turbo bmw setups. You have "x" displacement to work with (whether you decide 2.8 or 3.0L). What type of powerband are you after? Eg. Fast Highway Runs vs weekend drag car vs quick daily driver.

Fuel pump...i seen a few online but does anyone have a good suggestion?

By searching you can find the turbo m54 thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...p#post17030936

I plan on slapping m50 cams on provably before i even boost along with an m50 intake manifold...now ivr heard this requires me to turn my car to obd1 but I've seen a bracket for it so i can use my current throttle body...if anyone had any info on this that woulf be a lot of help.

The OBD1 thing was for e36s.

This thing called search lead me to this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...&highlight=m50

And for the biggest issue of them all...anyone know any reputable tuners in North jersey?!?!? Lol I've spoken with a few few and im noy sure if they just don't feel comfortable with bmw engines but that's where i leep gettting these "just buy am m3/335"

If you convert the car to ms43 then RK Tunes can do it:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hlight=rktunes

DTM Style Angel Eyes (flat bottom)
DTM Style Angel Eyes (flat bottom)

autospeed_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 02:52 AM   #6
LastGreatOne

My Ride: E46 328i
Im also looking at doing a boost engine build now idk what info i read i can trust but my idea and please guide me if im wrong is to run a 330 camshaft and a rods ( these are forged from what i have read ?) Idk about piston heads yet idk what would work best/cost? Now should i look at upgrading the valve springs or just buy oem? And the other thing i was thinking is getting a 330 air intake manifold (supposedly they flow better than 328 ones) I was also looking at msl headgasket but why did you decide 140 the page i read recommended a smaller one ?

Sent from my LGLS992 using E46Fanatics mobile app
LastGreatOne is offline   Reply With Quote