E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-30-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
pupski

My Ride: e46 325ci
e46 m54b25 FI options

Hi all i have been looking into boosting a e46 for quite some time now .. done a bit of reading and been looking for the right car for a while now...

Well i found the car ...
2002 e46 ci with pretty immaculate body work ... and a solid m54b25 in there that still purrs ike a kitten at 184k ....

Now from the reading i have done i have come to the understanding that the m50 iron block is the wayt o go with these if you want to push it ... so i have aquired a m50b25 block complete from a 99 e36 coupe auto...

Now my basic plan of action is to strip and rebuild this block first... now i have looked at many configurations for this block and using different internals from different variations of the engine, and it would seem that the best config i have found so far is the 2.8 crank from a m52b28 with forged h beam rods and either custom low comp pistons or the standard pistons from the m50b25 non vanos engine ....

so i wanted to ask if anyone had some advice regarding this possible configuration ? the block will be sent to be cleaned honed and decked if needed .... i am not unwilling to bore the block and get more displacement ... but this was the config i was thinking to keep the engine square with regards to stroke n bore etc...

Also if anyone could help with other options for oil pump as this will need to be upgraded and i have found limited info regarding this ... any links to other threads to reading appreciated also, also assembley bolt options please guys ? ... looking to hit 500whp to 600whp .. so need to build this bottom end strong enough and with enough head room so it isnt at its limit ...

i have also read that someone is running 700hp on one of these blocks on standard internals ? has this died yet ? lol

thank you in advance for any advice
regards david

below are some pics of the car and one of the m50 block
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pupbmw.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	649478   Click image for larger version

Name:	pupbmw1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	649479   Click image for larger version

Name:	m501.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	649480  

Last edited by pupski; 01-30-2017 at 01:54 PM.
pupski is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
jdjg

My Ride: e39, m52tub30
for the oil pump, search VacMotorsports or Bimmerworld oil pump

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
jdjg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 01:05 PM   #3
03_330Ci

My Ride: 03 330ci5 94 840i6mt
get the GSR oil pump from Bimmerworld not the VAC pump. look up pei's statements on how his was loose with the vac kit. CX racing and following hobbit's build is probably the best option for you. i think he was up around 600hp on a stock block before he blew the ring lands out of his stock pistons.
Old 01-31-2017, 04:21 PM   #4
pupski

jdjg and 03 330ci

thanks for the advice on the oil pump .. will look at the gsr one .... ill be sure to take a look at hobbits build and see what config he was using .... at the moment im looking at using the m50 block with a 2.8 crank and some forged rods.. haven't decided on pistons yet .... i was not sure if it is feasible to use the 2.5 pistons and have them machined to lower CR save using a thick head gasket .... or use the 2.8 crank forged rods and bore the block for the 3.0 pistons and shave them... or just suck the mop and buy some new low comp pistons ... want to build it right but obviously if the standard piston can do the job at the power level i want to run it makes no sense to throw a grand at some pistons .... has anyone here machined the pistons and had any success ?

again thanks for the advice
Old 01-31-2017, 06:53 PM   #5
autospeed_01

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
The difference in displacement wasn't from bore between the 2.5 and 3.0, it was from stroke. So you won't have to bore it out for the OEM 3.0 pistons.

NickG's stage 2 kit used a thicker head gasket, which is another option for low comp. or you could go forged pistons. I don't think they'd last very long at all by shaving them down for the power levels you mentioned.

DTM Style Angel Eyes (flat bottom)

autospeed_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:26 PM   #6
pupski

you are quite right there .. the bore is the same ... sry i got confused with the variation .... dont want to go down the thick headgasket if possible.. i have read of issues with these .... looks like it might have to be pistons then .... i mentioned takin a bit of the top of the OEM pistons as an engineer friend told me as long as it is not a huge amount it wont have a detriment to the strength of the piston .. what kind of power levels would you say this config would be capable of @autospeed 01

m50 block
2.8 crank
forged h-beam rods
standard 84mm piston
all assembled with arp bolts

if anyone has a rough idea on the possibillities with this config on the bottom end ? i only ask as i heard someone was running 700hp on a standard m50b25 bottom end ?

again thanks for the advice guys

will be stripping this m50 down this week end and ill shoot some pics up
Old 02-01-2017, 01:55 AM   #7
cosmos328Ci

My Ride: 398.5whp. 498.8ftlb
Rather than spending money on LC pistons, go E85 instead, if that is a possibility for you.
Save money and still run 20psi with very good ignition timing.

Going with the 3.0 crank over the 2.8 crank will yield another 30-50 whp using E85 and 20psi.
So... save money not buying LC pistons and buy a 3.0 crank and gain whp.

Last edited by cosmos328Ci; 02-01-2017 at 01:59 AM.
cosmos328Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:27 AM   #8
autospeed_01

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
That's a good call cosmos! I forgot about E85 since it's not an option where I live, I wish we had that

autospeed_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
pupski

E85 isn't an option for me here ... as far as I'm aware it isn't so readily available in the UK
Old 02-01-2017, 11:27 AM   #10
cosmos328Ci

My Ride: 398.5whp. 498.8ftlb
Sorry to hear, smells nice.