Where to start... - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #21
TheMidnightNarwhal

My Ride: Bicycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepew View Post
Haha I have been waiting to be asked this question. So I loved the full black look and spent a lot of time and money making my car black on black without over doing it. I was excited at first when I had gone with matte black, but after a few months I was sick of it. Brake dust and matte black rims are the two worst combinations. I switched to drilled and slotted rotors in the front and it helped big time, but not enough.

I ended up taking some polish to them and ended up with a little more gloss to them. They're definitely not as nice as factory gloss black, but it definitely looks nicer in my opinion. I definitely would have gone with gloss to begin with. Now I want to switch over to bronze or gun metal .

But quality wise they are beautiful when you first get them, but having to clean them so much isn't worth it. Not trying to change your mind, just telling you what I wish someone told me.

By the way I'm super OCD when it comes to cleaning my car and nobody ever mentioned how dirty my rims looked haha. Great choice on the staggered set, I ordered the squared by accident and didn't want to go through the hassle of returning them.

Let me know how you like them!

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Ok thanks for the info. I'm also OCD and really love to detail cars. I won't daily my car so the dust may not settle to much. I'll get the wheels for sure since they are good price and worst case if I don't like it that much I guess I'll go powdercoat them gloss black.

I'll let you know! Altough right now, I don't even own a 330ci yet! Still looking around, just checked one out friday but it was such in bad shape for what it was... so pissed, did 2 hours of driving and the seller dealer didn't even mentioned key information...

Hopefully more 330ci's pop out in spring. I really miss my 330ci

I was wondering about the wheel studs, does the sizing stay the same?

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 02-11-2017 at 07:30 PM.
TheMidnightNarwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:43 PM   #22
TheMidnightNarwhal

Hey guys I know this is a really noob question but, how do you know which tire size fits on your rim? Like there isn't just one, right?
Old 02-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #23
cdepew

My Ride: 02 330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
Hey guys I know this is a really noob question but, how do you know which tire size fits on your rim? Like there isn't just one, right?

No you can stretch tires and there are various sizes and such. There's websites where you can see what tires will and won't fit on a rim. There certain sizes that are just known to be too small or big for a rim, but you'd have to be familiar with tire sizes.

cdepew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:10 AM   #24
louderthanbombs

My Ride: 330i
Try a long lasting insulator wax such Collinite 848.Not only will they shine, dirt and grime won't stick and if it does, a quick power washer to them will keep them looking like my ex... a very, very long time ago...

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using E46Fanatics mobile app
louderthanbombs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:35 AM   #25
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:
No you can stretch tires and there are various sizes and such. There's websites where you can see what tires will and won't fit on a rim. There certain sizes that are just known to be too small or big for a rim, but you'd have to be familiar with tire sizes.

I'm trying to find one of these websites but every website just allows you to search by tire size or by vehicle, like Tire Rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louderthanbombs View Post
Try a long lasting insulator wax such Collinite 848.Not only will they shine, dirt and grime won't stick and if it does, a quick power washer to them will keep them looking like my ex... a very, very long time ago...

Hmmm wrong post?
Old 02-13-2017, 08:15 AM   #26
louderthanbombs

Quote:
Haha I have been waiting to be asked this question. So I loved the full black look and spent a lot of time and money making my car black on black without over doing it. I was excited at first when I had gone with matte black, but after a few months I was sick of it. Brake dust and matte black rims are the two worst combinations. I switched to drilled and slotted rotors in the front and it helped big time, but not enough.

I ended up taking some polish to them and ended up with a little more gloss to them. They're definitely not as nice as factory gloss black, but it definitely looks nicer in my opinion. I definitely would have gone with gloss to begin with. Now I want to switch over to bronze or gun metal .

But quality wise they are beautiful when you first get them, but having to clean them so much isn't worth it. Not trying to change your mind, just telling you what I wish someone told me.

By the way I'm super OCD when it comes to cleaning my car and nobody ever mentioned how dirty my rims looked haha. Great choice on the staggered set
Wrong post? How so? Seems he does not like his rims getting so filthy, so my recommendation of waxes to help with easy removal / and the dirt not penatrating to his rims as easily may help...

Last edited by louderthanbombs; 02-13-2017 at 08:17 AM.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:19 AM   #27
louderthanbombs

Quote:
I'm trying to find one of these websites but every website just allows you to search by tire size or by vehicle, like Tire Rack.

Hmmm wrong post?
See below...

Old 02-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #28
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:
See below...

Sorry you didn't quote I thought you were just replying to my post
Old 02-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #29
louderthanbombs

Quote:
Sorry you didn't quote I thought you were just replying to my post
All good. Still getting used to this platform so quoting, dbl quoting, etc is somewhat new to me.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:57 PM   #30
cdepew

Quote:

would it make the matte finish fade? Because at this point I'm open to that lol.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:58 PM   #31
cdepew

Quote:

Hmmm wrong post?

There's a thread on here with a link to a website that I stumbled upon, but for the life of me can't remember where I found it. Check the tires and wheels section.

Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 PM   #32
cdepew

Quote:
Ok thanks for the info. I'm also OCD and really love to detail cars. I won't daily my car so the dust may not settle to much. I'll get the wheels for sure since they are good price and worst case if I don't like it that much I guess I'll go powdercoat them gloss black.

I'll let you know! Altough right now, I don't even own a 330ci yet! Still looking around, just checked one out friday but it was such in bad shape for what it was... so pissed, did 2 hours of driving and the seller dealer didn't even mentioned key information...

Hopefully more 330ci's pop out in spring. I really miss my 330ci

I was wondering about the wheel studs, does the sizing stay the same?

Yes the size is the same for the studs. I hope you have luck finding a new 330. I always wished I could have gotta a coupe, but something about the sedans makes me love them

Old 02-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #33
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:
would it make the matte finish fade? Because at this point I'm open to that lol.

Shouldn't affect it at all. I used to wax/seal my wheels with my old 330ci.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:02 PM   #34
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:
Yes the size is the same for the studs. I hope you have luck finding a new 330. I always wished I could have gotta a coupe, but something about the sedans makes me love them

Ok.

Thanks, I hope I will. I don't like E46 sedans but don't mind E90 sedans. Depending on what pops in the area.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 02-13-2017 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:25 PM   #35
cdepew

Quote:
Ok.

Thanks, I hope I will. I don't like E46 sedans but don't mind E90 sedans. Depending on what pops in the area.

Really? If you don't mind me asking why don't you like them? I think if modded properly they look so nice, but I guess to each his own.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:44 PM   #36
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:
Really? If you don't mind me asking why don't you like them? I think if modded properly they look so nice, but I guess to each his own.

I'm not quite sure, the lines don't look good, maybe it was jsut the angle of the photos though.