E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 360 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 12:04 PM   #661
Bradders24

My Ride: E46 330ci
No checked and both grounds were good
Bradders24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:07 PM   #662
Jcieslik

My Ride: E46 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradders24 View Post
No checked and both grounds were good
You are flooding the engine for some reason. Maybe leaky injector or a wiring/timing issue.
Jcieslik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:20 AM   #663
jetblackcookie

My Engine Fuse #3 Kalim was blowing because of a frayed o2 sensor wire, it was shorting against the engine block. You may want to check those if you're having a problem
jetblackcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 06:41 PM   #664
E36 Ron

My Ride: E46
Hey all, I have been a lurker here for several years and I appreciate all of the information I have gained from this site! After a ton of searching and troubleshooting, I have reached the end of my rope. My car is a 1999 E46 323i with manual transmission. While I was hoarding parts to rebuild my cooling system my battery drained completely. I have swapped in a new battery, but now I am experiencing a no crank condition. I have tried my spare key, as well as my valet key, none of them will crank the car. The keys WILL lock and unlock the doors. I noticed that with the key in the ignition and the drivers door open, there is no charm, or beep. I am mechanically sound, but the electronic/computer side of the house, I find myself extremely challenged. I have ordered a cheaper BMW scanner, as well as the AK90 setup. They will not be here for a week, or so, but it looks like this is going to be part of my BMW bag of tricks, so I ordered them. As a side note, I also tried to jump start the car in addition to attempting to push-start it to no avail. Any and all suggestions would be very much appreciated. I have read so many posts where folks have experienced the same situation, but they almost always end with no solution. If and when I get to the bottom of this problem, I will come back here and let you all know what I did to remedy this situation.

Thanks for your time reading this post and thanks to the OP for doing such a great job of helping us all out!

Ron

Last edited by E36 Ron; 02-17-2017 at 06:42 PM.
E36 Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 06:48 AM   #665
craigk401

My Ride: 2000 bmw 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerriwarwick View Post
Hi Guys ! if the key has gone bad will that render the car not to start ? I have put in a new battery ! lights work windows etc but she wont fire up !!! thanks Kerri ..and I will keep reading the FAQ
Did you find the problem

Sent from my Z963U using E46Fanatics mobile app
craigk401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:17 PM   #666
T Nenguda

My Ride: 320d e46
hi guys i have 320d is giving me problem with ews. i need any help on how to bypass my ews 320d 2002
T Nenguda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:03 AM   #667
craigk401

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Shandy View Post
After my shift I tried a quick jump and again nothing so a few of my co workers helped me push it and after about six ytties nothing? ? So this morning I went and checked over fuses found nothing wrong I took my battery and I am charging it now just to be safe is there anyone who has any other suggestions I am going to try to see if shorting the clutch safety switch helps any but I would guess that it would have started when I tried to bump start it soooooo
Hey I read your no start post what did you figure out I have a no start no crank 328i four months not fixed yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clrios View Post
I have a2000 323ci BMW that will not start. It had been sitting up for two years and I tried using my regular key and it would not crank then I used the master key and it started Right up. I have been driving it for abt three weeks and the other day I got in it to crank for work and it would not start. No clicking everything lights up, all doors lock and unlock. Going to see if I can test my key. Bought a battery for it, that's not it. Any suggestions please.

Old Today, 07:13 AM   #668
craigk401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princefredo View Post
No start issues. Car worked fine then all of the sudden no start just click. I can also feel (hand on starter) the starter try to do something as the key is turned but doesn't spin...So I got to the starter and checked the voltage. I had constant 12.3 at the constant battery supply(B). I would get 10.7 at the wire from the EWS as the key was turned(c). It had nothing when the key isn't in start. The supply would drop to 11.7 as the key was turned also(B). I jumped the wire to the starter motor itself and it actually spun the engine(D). I also jumped the EWS (C) wire and I got nothing. So do you think it's the starter or something else? I was under the impression that if I jumped the wire from the EWS (C) that it would turn the starter but it didn't. Thank you.
Did you resolve your no start problem I have a 328i any advice I would be greatful

Old Today, 07:16 AM   #669
craigk401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocolate Lab View Post
Got my key in from the dealership. Took it home to see if it would start my car, but it doesn't.

Weird thing is, it won't even lock or unlock the doors, even after the program cycle. My old key fob (from a different car, ignition doesn't work) still does work, though. I guess there's a chance I got a bad key from the factory, but that doesn't seem very likely. Any ideas?

Edit, talked it over with the BMW tech at my dealership and he thinks if the immobilizer has shut the car down of is defective, it's also keeping a new key from being programmed. Makes sense, I guess...
How did you make out with no start and new key

Old Today, 07:21 AM   #670
craigk401

Quote:
Originally Posted by E46CompactTI View Post
You can resync in INPA is this available to you?
What is (Inpa) you talking about

Old Today, 07:25 AM   #671
craigk401

Quote:
Originally Posted by System77 View Post
On a previous 2001 e46, for weeks I had an issue with no start, no crank, until I activated/de-activated the key fob a few times, which also didn't always work, but manually unlocking and shutting the trunk a few times would inevitably allow me to start the car.

I actually once got trapped in the car in a hot parking lot - I had tried the key fob trick and the doors locked then everything went dead and I could not unlock them even by pulling the handles. I was about to pass out from the heat when a friend came to my rescue - because the electronics had died before the window could tighten up, I was able to squeeze my key through to him and get rescued with a manual unlock!

I will point out that all of this started after I used my valet key for a day.

Eventually I fixed with with PA Soft - I cleared all the errors in EWS and problem was solved permanently.
What are you using to to read and clear the codes (PA Soft) what is that