E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-21-2016, 03:00 PM   #241
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
So, the tuning session didn't go quite as planned. It seems that the transmission was even more upset of bit having front wheels turning, and we couldn't get it to shift out of first. However, I did calibrate some things which were useful to get done on the dyno, so I have the framework done to get this tuned well on the street. I got cam control working much better. So I hope to get this better in a couple weeks. I also have another surprise when I get back home from a trip for work (going to LinixCon North America today, so I will be in Toronto until Thursday).

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, UUC Twin Disc Clutch + FW Kit, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator, Lengthened actuator rod, modified exhaust, and FX-R projectors.
93 Octane - 8.5 PSI : 309RWHP on a Superflow / 3XXRWHP on a DynoJet
E85 - ? PSI : ???RWHP on a DynoJet
First SSG MoTeC M150 Powered 330
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #242
mdrobnak

Some non-330 content for a moment.

Ok, so, this week:

Matt at LinuxCon Gala by Matthew Drobnak, on Flickr

But on the Friday before I left, I took a trip up to New Hampshire...

Cousins by Matthew Drobnak, on Flickr

And now I have a complete set of SMG cars. (Sorry for the poor pic, it was getting dark, quick cell phone shot.)

The M3 will be getting a wiring harness made for it, and it will be getting the Motec M150 treatment as well. I'm confident I'm close on a solution. I will then have packages available for both the M3 and the rest of the 3 series cars.

So, the M3 is...everything why I bought a 330. This car was ItsCarbonBlack on m3forum.net's car. It's quick, but it's also got two things which are seriously annoying - it's got a coil-over setup that has the car super low and super-jostling that I need to adjust soon. It's also got an aftermarket exhaust, which can be kind of loud. And droning at highway speeds. It's also tinted, which I'm taking off this weekend.

The SMG system itself is definitely quite a bit different in the way it shifts. I will try and get some comparison data up on how the clutch interaction is...as I think the M double-clutches. The SSG does not do that. The way the torque is managed seems different too (just by listening to engine sound and how it feels).

Also, the car has PDC, which is nice, and the ever-useful Aux in.

So while the M3 is likely not a long-term keeper, I think once I have things tweaked I will enjoy the car.

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, UUC Twin Disc Clutch + FW Kit, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator, Lengthened actuator rod, modified exhaust, and FX-R projectors.
Old 09-02-2016, 08:36 PM   #243
mdrobnak

The M3 is not in as good condition as hoped, but some money will make it that way.

As for the 330, I realized today that one of the things that was getting in my way in the past was Fuel Temperature compensation. After I moved to the Feb 2016 package, I didn't have my Ethanol Content sensor working, as it was unclear how to set up both Fuel Temp and Ethanol Content. That was fixed today, after I realized that a single fixed value is what was causing the air fuel ratio to drift at idle when warmed up, steady cams, speed density, and no closed loop fueling.

I also realized an error in some previous calculations of volumetric efficiency from MAF values. I should be able to use the VE calculated plus the Inlet Manifold Pressure Estimate table to generate the 'driver desired' torque values, so I can go back to Mass Air fueling for now, as speed density is a pain without having a good dyno.

Lots of stuff going on, hopefully things will start converging towards desired state more quickly now.

Will update when I know more.

PS For those interested in more about the M3 (and more tuning / development stuff), see the blog.

Old 10-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #244
mdrobnak

All that's really happened is a decent washing of the 330 today using Griot's Garage Waterless Wash system. Not bad, but definitely makes me realize I need to clay and wax the car again.

There has been a lot going on otherwise - more interest in my 997 package, initial startup of another project car, and trying to get the wiring harness going for the M3 (Joel @ Race-Spec will be doing it).

330 is back to daily driver status. Other than that...trying not to overload myself with too much stuff.

Old 01-22-2017, 11:53 AM   #245
mdrobnak

Things are still happening with the 330, even though it is not the priority at the moment. I went through some of the MS45 assembly code and identified the remaining items I didn't have a firm grasp on initially.

I also had a bit of an incident with the car a few weeks ago...I had some battery issues, and learned the hard way about what happens when not running the scavenge pump. Long story short the night previous to me actually getting the car started I disconnected the power supply for the pump, and thought I had re-connected, but I did not. So with the car idling for multiple minutes, oil ended up...everywhere. In the exhaust, in the intake, a giant damn mess. I had the car towed to Bimmers Only, who did a good job of cleaning everything up fairly well. There's still some small amount of residual oil in places, but I think that will eventually burn off in short order.

While it was being worked on, it was noted I had a faulty ignition switch - not the actual physical key part, but something connected to it (a relay perhaps, unsure of the actual part)...and that it was causing things to go on when the key was not even in the ignition. Probably the root cause of the battery problems in the first place.

Unfortunately since this incident, my passenger mirror has stopped working - the drivers side is fine, and the fuse which supposedly powers both is fine. Unsure what is broken at this point.

Other than that, the car is working fine, and has not thrown any fuel trim codes, so I think I drove it little enough to not foul the O2 sensors and cats.

I've also made progress with the SMG2 code for the M3, but have hit into a few bumps there due to the incomplete data available on the memory layout and sharing of control between two CPUs.

Tags
motec, ssg, turbo 330