E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 12:41 PM   #21
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
So after some false starts, we have data!

The documentation has some places where it could be a little more clear, but the code was mostly right.

-Matt
Congrats!
PEI330Ci is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 AM   #22
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
Non-MoTeC stuff:

After a weekend of driving, the new clutch is...interesting.

The material definitely does not like being slipped like stock. If you give it very little throttle, it shudders quite a bit. However, if you give it slightly more, where the engagement is about 1000 RPM, it engages just fine.

I think there are two things which are bigger problems, however:
Sometimes it doesn't start. I've noticed that if the pressure is not at the *peak* pressure (ie, the pump has just gone off), it will not go into neutral. Once the car is started, all is well.
Pauses in shifts...Similar to what being3 noticed, full throttle shifts have a large delay between 1-2 and 2-3. Power levels have not changed, so it's more about the engagement pattern I think.

We will see what happens as it continues to break in.

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, UUC Twin Disc Clutch + FW Kit, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator, Lengthened actuator rod, modified exhaust, and FX-R projectors.
93 Octane - 8.5 PSI : 309RWHP on a Superflow / 3XXRWHP on a DynoJet
E85 - ? PSI : ???RWHP on a DynoJet
First SSG MoTeC M150 Powered 330
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #23
mdrobnak

Regarding the setup to power the M150:

The ProEFI was set up such that R1 (Relay 1) was wired like so:

Terminal 30 - Battery
Terminal 86 - Connected to Terminal 30
Terminal 85 - Connected to Main Relay output
Terminal 87 - This is the power output to J2 A18 and J2A19

So it was constantly powered, but the ground was controlled by the ProEFI, using the Key Switch input. The Key switch input goes to B+ when turned on.

The 'fix' for this is to disconnect terminal 86 from Terminal 30. Connect terminal 86 to Key Switch Input. Connect Terminal 85 to ground.

Now when Key Switch is on, the power comes on, and turns off immediately when the power goes away. I have wired up the Battery Backup wire (D12 on the Motec) so that it should be able to save any NVRAM stuff on shutdown.

This is subject to change if Neel tells me I'm a dummy.

-Matt

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, UUC Twin Disc Clutch + FW Kit, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator, Lengthened actuator rod, modified exhaust, and FX-R projectors.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 PM   #24
mdrobnak

So, some updates.

As mentioned, it is indeed working. Here are some other quick pics:

M150 Temporary Home by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

The main screen of M1 Tune:
M150 Alive by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

So things are going fairly well so far with the M150. I need to move the Igniters on the ProEFI mounting bracket, and then the M150 should line up where one of the igniters used to be. Then I have at least a chance of putting it into the car.

Today I received more goodies:

Fuel, Oil, and Manifold Pressure Sensors by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

So now I can talk out the ProEFI MAP and ship it off with the rest of the unit (I finally sold it). I also have a mini harness for the LTC. Not sure if I'm going to just put on the main bus, or one of the other two.

The connector of the MAP is exactly the same as the ProEFI one, so I can just move that part of the harness over for now until I get the permanent one made.

So there are a few downsides to the clutch upgrade:

As mentioned before, I have to ensure that it's at peak pressure to get it to go into neutral. Additionally, it has bigger issues. So I think the delay during shift is caused by lack of pressure at that time...

I was coming home yesterday evening...came off the highway..downshifted three times...Started moving again, tried to go 1-2..and.......nothing..impatient person behind me didn't slow down..almost got hit..Was very scary. To verify I wasn't nuts, after the next light there was nobody behind me, so I shifted quickly 1,2,3,4....and then tried to go into 5th...and it shifted itself back into 4th.

So, I'd consider this SouthBend stage 3 clutch is at the maximum of what the stock system can do. I need to talk to DaveW about the modifications he did to get more force out of the stock hydraulics..Otherwise, driving with this requires behavior modifications to not get yourself into trouble.

Old 06-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #25
mdrobnak

Ugh. I keep forgetting to hit post / send:

Throttle position is correct.
Coolant temperature is correct (off by 0.4 degrees C, I think Thaniel's equation just needs a slight tweak)
Oil temperature seems off by about 30 degrees C
Steering items are incorrect
Transmission items are correct...Upshifts, Downshifts, current gear all work. (This is what I have needed!)
Wheel Speed...I think I have a byte ordering issue, as it seems to be correct for 0-8 km/h..after that it goes nuts, and the last value, the right rear, also goes nuts.
I will wire up more of the harness later in the week so I can play with this a bit more.

I need to spend more time with the help for M1 Tune, as while some things are awesome, 'simple' things like adding something to watch in real time is very confusing..

The onboard logging, however, is insane. I have level 3, so I can do 1000 Hz. So far I've only used the 100 Hz, as that's what I'm sampling transmission, wheel speed, and throttle position at. That is quite a bit of granularity even at that level. The key to get it to log without having RPM is to set it to Output Test mode, and pick a non-zero RPM value...then it turns on the logging.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:55 AM   #26
mdrobnak

Original Clutch on ProEFI

vs

DME with Upgraded Clutch

Looks like the URL parser does the shortened URLs too. Nice.

Last edited by mdrobnak; 06-06-2014 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Alignment
Old 06-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #27
mdrobnak

Wiring harness is moved over to the M1. I will be getting the mounting all set up so that I can get some data without the M150 bouncing around.
I plan on getting the CAN data correct over the weekend.

With regard to the clutch, I'm going to work with DaveW on getting an upgraded actuator in place which should make things work very well.

Then in a couple weeks I will have:
ID1000 injectors
Walbro Fuel Pump
Ethanol Content Sensor
Fuel Pressure Sensor
Oil Pressure Sensor

installed at Maximum PSI, and start running on the M150.

More information as I figure it out.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:45 PM   #28
mdrobnak

Front of Bracket by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

Back of Bracket by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

Quick Shot of M150 Mounted by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

That's all for now.

Now to find the I-Boost cable and air temp sensor from the ProEFI so I can send it to the person who bought it..My office is quite a mess.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 AM   #29
mdrobnak

Found the air temp sensor, yay.

On the MoTeC front, multi-byte data still confounds me a bit. Still trying to get wheel speeds correct. However, I've set up logging of each byte, so I should be able to get this going by end of week, as it's now logging at all times.

It's also very important to not convert to floating-point data until the final output to the "Channel." as this can cause weird shifts in the data...I had to subtract 32 from the input from a piece of transmission data that I don't any more now that I have my data types under control.

Old 06-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #30
mdrobnak

As per davew, the actuator from an E46 550i will fit as a replacement to the stock clutch actuator from my car, but with 40% more force. This should resolve the issues with the clutch. I will be purchasing part # 23427507098 as soon as a I find a good price.

Also, I realized that the highest 2 bytes on 0x43D are accumulator pressure.
I also have DME RPM logging now. Still working on wheel speed (have to check a log from this morning when I get home).

Old 06-13-2014, 09:03 AM   #31
Thaniel

My Ride: 06 E90, 01 330
Great project.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:52 PM   #32
mdrobnak

Thanks, Thaniel.

More goodies arrived today:
IntrepidCS ValueCAN3 by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

Old 06-15-2014, 06:38 PM   #33
mdrobnak

Wheel Speed and AC Request are a go.

I have to re-check my wiring as it doesn't see crank pulses at all. (I tried to see if it would at least turn over.)

Maximum PSI informed me the clutch actuator is back-ordered in Germany until mid-July.

Fun times.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #34
mdrobnak

I missed the voltage threshold setting - it was set for a magnetic (VR) sensor, not a hall effect - it was set to 0V, instead of 2.5V.

However, I am verifying all the wiring tonight anyway, and will try cranking it again tomorrow.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:17 PM   #35
mdrobnak

Wiring was fine except for a mixed up signal / ground for the knock sensors. That was corrected.

Thresholds for sync were corrected...car does not fire up when ignition is handled by the MoTeC. I must have the sync incorrect. Mass Air mode does not seem to work - fuel injector calibrations must be too far out. I got it to fire up with it in Speed Density with the DME handling ignition. So once I get the injectors installed, should be able to get it fired up shortly after.

Old 06-21-2014, 04:23 PM   #36
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
Wiring was fine except for a mixed up signal / ground for the knock sensors. That was corrected.
Was the wiring diagram I gave you incorrect?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #37
mdrobnak

No, your diagram was fine. I'm a dummy..moved both knock sensors at once and made assumptions about the previous wiring because I got distracted and didn't verify it initially..

Old 06-21-2014, 05:48 PM   #38
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

Phew!
Old 06-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #39
mdrobnak

So after yesterday's experiments, after I had put it back to DME control, I had some places to go...all was well until I was almost home...I stopped at a light and the car sounded like a Harley. :-/ I gave it some throttle, and it cleared up after a few blips. Got home OK, but it did the same thing intermittently.

Go to go out today, and the same thing, except, now it's just busted. Pull up INPA, and it's cylinder 1. Misfire. Ya think?

So I think the coil was on it's way out, and the slightly-too-long dwell time in the first crank-over I think sent it over the edge. I swapped out the coil, after calling my friend who I was supposed to show the car to and have lunch with that I was having some technical difficulties...and that I'd know within 20 minutes if it was the coil, or the plug.

I hang up, and think, crap, this is not a 10 minute job. I remove the cabin air filter tray, pop off the coil cover after unbolting, pull #1, swap it, and put the cover back on...Start it up, and no more lumps. Yay. I put the tray back, and call my friend back. Total time: 16 minutes. I couldn't believe I did it so fast. No issues after, and my friends like the car. So overall a good day, but a bumpy start.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #40
mdrobnak

A quick update:

I had done one more experiment after this, which didn't go so well. I ended up blowing a fuse, and I recently found what I believe to be the error. I misread one of the pins as ground, when it was really 5V. So I had a sensor that had it's ground going to 5V on the MoTeC side, and 0V on the DME side, which caused a bit of an issue. :-/ When I verified the wiring, I verified what I had pinned matched my document. However, I neglected to verify my document.

On another note, the clutch actuator should have arrived at Maximum PSI at this point, along with my ID1000 injectors. They are working on some cars for MPACT East. Shortly after the show the clutch actuator, the LTC Lambda measurement, fuel pressure sensor, oil pressure sensor, and injectors will all be installed. The DME will be updated to account for the ID1000s. I will verify timing sync with the MoTeC, and then put that aside for a few days to make sure everything's OK with the DME. If so, I'll start setting up the M150 to run with the MAF.

Sometime in August, Neel from Apex Speed Technology will be in the NY area and will do the 93 and E85 calibrations for the vehicle. Then I will be leaving it alone for a while.

Tags
motec, ssg, turbo 330