E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-01-2014, 05:08 PM   #61
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
330i SSG Technique Tuning Stage 1+ Redux

Very nice work... For some reason I had missed this thread.... Keep us posted.... love this kinda stuff..

Last edited by being3; 08-01-2014 at 05:13 PM.
being3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2014, 08:47 PM   #62
mdrobnak

My Ride: 04 330i SMG TT STG1
Ok, so first thanks to Billy for staying later then intended.

I drove the car home on the MoTeC doing fueling, and the DME handling spark. All was well except after when I ate, the Lambda readings were wonky when I started the car, I'm still not sure what did that. The DME did get pissed off at this, and turned on the check engine light. So something was definitely weird. The readings were in line with normal (0.98 < 1 < 1.01 ) so I drove it home, hitting traffic on the George Washington Bridge. The beginning of the M1 log got truncated due to the amount of time and stuff I'm logging, so I will have to see tomorrow what's going on.

The other problem is that because the MAP sensor was unplugged, it was using the estimation table (throttle vs map) to determine fueling requirements. Thankfully the estimates all were high. I didn't get into the throttle heavy anyway. I will, however, be writing a pressure estimation algorithm from the MAF to use before falling back to the estimate table. Then the M1 can truly be used without a MAP sensor.

On top of that, I think some of the bytes from the DME are either Engine Load, or Throttle Blade positions. I'll be running some experiments over the next few days to try and figure some more CAN stuff out.

I need to make the LTC turn on when the car is under DME fueling control, once I do that, I'll be switching back to that for some time so I can do my emissions inspection. It's a little complicated as it uses Engine Stall time to know when to turn it off, and a delay after Run Time is > 0 to turn it on.

For now, I think I'm going to just shower and relax.

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, UUC Twin Disc Clutch + FW Kit, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator, Lengthened actuator rod, modified exhaust, and FX-R projectors.
93 Octane - 8.5 PSI : 309RWHP on a Superflow / 3XXRWHP on a DynoJet
E85 - ? PSI : ???RWHP on a DynoJet
First SSG MoTeC M150 Powered 330
mdrobnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2014, 11:16 PM   #63
mdrobnak

MAP, Oil Pressure, and Fuel Pressure Sensors are wired up again. Ethanol Content sensor wired up again.
MAP from MAF didn't go so well - need to re-think the math.
Ethanol Percent table works out much better when using the Frequency instead of the period as the equation. Not sure why, but it is definitely easier to understand. So I re-wrote those, and Ethanol Content shows up as 8.5%, which surprises me, but I filled up at an Exxon station in NJ. I will try and fill up at least one more tank of local gas before declaring that a success (before trying out E85). I will not be turning up the boost until the car is tuned, that's for sure.

Didn't do anything with the LTC stuff yet, will work on that tomorrow.

I moved the closed loop fueling up to 750 RPM, just out of idle speed range, I think that will alleviate the problem. It has not freaked out like it did earlier since I made that change. I think weird things happen with idle control being done by the DME...Definitely saw similar weirdness with the ProEFI.

2004 330i with Technique Tuning Stage 1 Kit, UUC Twin Disc Clutch + FW Kit, Walbro 400 Fuel Pump, Aeromotive FPR, Modified Return Lines, E36 Fuel Filter, Ethanol Content Sensor, 550i Clutch Actuator, Lengthened actuator rod, modified exhaust, and FX-R projectors.
Old 08-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #64
mdrobnak

Today the car ran much worse then I remembered it running yesterday -- and I thought it odd, as I was running a lot of stuff on estimates, and now I have real sensors hooked up.

Well, looks like Billy swapped red and black on the MAP sensor. In the Metripack top seal, it's the right order (looking top down has red on left, black on right, and signal on bottom), but the actual pins were red on right, black on left....Which caused things to run terribly, no surprise. It also seemed to piss of the DME, which I found interesting.

I added in code to turn on the LTC at any time after the ECU has been up for 20 seconds and the DME RPM > 500. That works, so I moved all of the control back to the DME for the moment.

I fixed the MAP sensor, drove the car on the DME, and it runs much better now.

I watched exhaust lambda for some time, and once I saw it was going to be safe, I gave it a couple full throttle pulls....to see how much the actuator changed things.

Well, lets put it this way - if you're going to swap your clutch, the 550i actuator is a MUST. Now, it still seems a little slower then stock (in sport), but there is no longer the gigantic delay between 2-3 that used to be there. The car definitely seems quick.

I'm getting a weird Post-Cat O2 heater control error for bank two, might be time for new post-cat sensors. Not sure when I replaced them last. Or maybe some of the wiring going to them is not in great condition. ::shrug::

All I know was that was not fun chasing down, LOL. I was afraid it was going to be the Oil Pressure sensor mis-wired, as it's slightly annoying to get to (thankfully all of them are on the top of the engine. The fuel pressure sensor looks like it belongs there; Mike did an excellent job welding it to the fuel rail.

All-in-all, making progress.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #65
PEI330Ci
58mm of Bliss

My Ride: 330i, 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdrobnak View Post
I'm getting a weird Post-Cat O2 heater control error for bank two, might be time for new post-cat sensors. Not sure when I replaced them last. Or maybe some of the wiring going to them is not in great condition. ::shrug::
There should only be 1 bank of O2 sensors being used by the DME. If there was a re-flash of the DME for the injectors, there is an off-on routine that is required for the DME to "find" the right bank to chose the right signal from. (With the turbo manifold...there is only 1 "bank" now.)

Alternatively, it might be that the DME is using "bank 2" because that is what is connected, and that you have an actual failure. There is an extension cable with the kit, maybe try re-seating the connection at the post-cat O2 sensor, and the other end as well up by the DME.
PEI330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 06:37 AM   #66
mdrobnak

That's true for the MS43. On the MS45, all the sensors have to be hooked up and working. The pre-cat values are only taken from Bank 1, but it complains if anything is wrong with any of them. :-/

The error seems intermittent. I will see how things are after a few days.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #67
mdrobnak

Also, I forgot to mention - the LTC _sensor_ harness is extremely long. It got to the top of the block without any issue. So the LTC is mounted right next to the M150 on the plate I have.

The multi-foot wire harness that I had Apex make is all coiled up in the bin, as it only needs to go a few inches, LOL.

I am not taking pictures until I get it cleaned up a bit, as it's a horrible mess at the second.

Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #68
mdrobnak

Filled up with E85 by mattdrobnak, on Flickr
(4 Gallons for an overall E35)

Last edited by mdrobnak; 08-10-2014 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-12-2014, 10:04 PM   #69
mdrobnak

Cold start on E35:

Old 08-16-2014, 04:07 PM   #70
mdrobnak

So I've been trying to troubleshoot some odd issues as of late, and it seems that I am not getting the correct fuel flow. Note I didn't say not enough. In this case, the pressure is way too high. Lambda is spot on, so everything is working right to make the correct thing happen, but it is wrong - I'm seeing 75+ PSI of pressure at the rail.

Current theory is that the return line is too small, and thus building backpressure. I need to get the car back to Max PSI to get that resolved.

Then I need to figure out what's going on with the codes I'm getting from the DME. I've already sent documentation to Nick G, but have not heard anything back as of yet.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:21 AM   #71
mdrobnak

I dropped the car off at Maximum PSI today. I'm getting the remainder of a fuel system upgrade, LOL.

Because of the stock design, I'm going to a Aeromotive Fuel Filter, Regulator, and having a larger return line run from the rail back to the tank.

I was hoping just the pump and injectors would be enough, but it looks like everything around it needs to be upgraded as well.

They will also hopefully figure out what's going on with that O2 sensor.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:51 AM   #72
mdrobnak

Not all parts came in time, so I took the car back for the weekend. I did a little bit of needed work on it:

* I installed the CAN sniffer cable into the engine compartment
* I wired up the private DME->TCU CAN Bus to the sniffer
* I cleaned up the wiring a bit for the recent sensor installs

I'm embarrassed to show how I left it between the last visit to Max PSI and yesterday, so you're not going to see it.

Here are some pics from yesterday:
Soldering In Progress by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

Cleanup Part 1 by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

Cleanup Part 2 by mattdrobnak, on Flickr

I'm still not 100% happy with it the way it is, but given that it is indeed temporary, and will be replaced within a month (scheduling Apex Speed Technologies to build me a modified version of the OEM harness to integrate things in nicely), I'm ok with it.

Also, there's a potential issue with the clutch - not sure if it's a "normal" issue or one related specifically to SSG. It seems the clutch has issues with shifts at high RPMs, this has been an issue since installing it, but I thought the new actuator would fix. The problem is in sport mode, the 2-3 shift will *grind* if it's over ~5000 RPMs. Not cool.

Overall, moving closer to the finish.

Old 08-25-2014, 09:09 AM   #73
Davew
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2004 330ci Msport
When you say grind, would you say it's the clutch / pressure plate, dual mass flywheel over compressing internal springs, or something all together different? I know with my stock items, the dual mass squeals badly as the springs load up, and with the added clamping force of your setup, I wonder if this would load the dual mass internals to the end of their travel. Be interesting to hear.
Davew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #74
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Your grind problem is synco related not clutch, I'm about 95% sure of that

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-25-2014, 02:30 PM   #75
being3
Modded ///Member

My Ride: Turbo M3 7168 27PSI
Good work thanks for sharing the pics.

I love the soldering iron, meter and laptop in engine bay. That's what I call getting the job done ad what it really like in development. Nice to see the custom work ur doing.

Old 08-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #76
mdrobnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by InDiGlOM3 View Post
Your grind problem is synco related not clutch, I'm about 95% sure of that

Well that would suck. It's definitely a grinding sound like I suck at driving stick. Very terrible to hear when you know you have no say in the matter...not a squealing sound.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #77
mdrobnak

I would say that due to the fact that it *is* computer controlled, I think the sychro is likely fine.

That being said, I think it's a transient fueling issue which is causing the RPMs to spike, and the transmission ECU is having trouble compensating. This will be verified when I go back to the DME to verify things are OK there.

Good news: I have normal fuel pressure now, and normal (3-6%) trims in closed loop.
Bad news (sort of): I hooked up the CAN sniffer to the transmission bus, and there are 15(!) new ARBIDs to figure out WTF they mean. Some of them don't change much, which is good.
I think all of the main bus is repeated on the transmission bus.

I don't think I'll be ditching the stock control of the transmission any time soon.

Old 08-27-2014, 12:12 PM   #78
InDiGlOM3

My Ride: HPF M3 stg 2.5
Send a message via AIM to InDiGlOM3 Send a message via Yahoo to InDiGlOM3
Oh it's not manual?

Old 08-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #79
mdrobnak

SSG... Like SMG...

Old 08-30-2014, 09:41 PM   #80
mdrobnak

Looks like we fixed one issue (fuel pressure) and created another (fuel leak) :-/

Getting the car back to Mike ASAP. I'm sure he'll rectify it. For now, I've attempted to seal it up with fuel tank repair epoxy.

Update: The seal didn't work. Mike also asked me to disassemble the regulator to inspect the diaphragm. I did that, and that looks fine. I also lost a key piece in the engine bay, fun times. I am attempting to figure out how to get the car back to Mike.

Last edited by mdrobnak; 09-07-2014 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Updates

Tags
motec, ssg, turbo 330