E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-29-2015, 08:45 AM   #21
boostedisbetter

My Ride: NiNe tHoUsAnD!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
Wow, Larry Bird has really let himself go.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #22
ghorn

My Ride: 330ci

'I believe this photo captures who we are in South Carolina': Black cop photographed helping white man in swastika shirt at KKK demonstration hopes his actions help others 'overcome hatred'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz3hIR2dHZz

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
Doing drugs and having sex... oh wow big deal. Well it is actually a HUGE deal.
ghorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #23
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 335d
^^^Why is that cop assaulting that poor white man!!?

Present
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 11:58 AM   #24
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Florida Sheriff's Deputies Pull Man From Ledge...

EMILY MILLER ON JUL 29, 2015
SOURCE: SUN SENTINEL

As a man rocked back and forth on the edge of a concrete ledge above Interstate 95, his legs dangling above traffic, two Broward Sheriff's Office deputies swooped in and pulled him to safety.

The two-minute rescue began at 11:20 p.m. Monday along the Andrews Avenue bridge over I-95. Sgt. Bryan Nord, 40, and Deputy Jonathan Vazquez, 33, worked together to save the man, who had been unresponsive and slowly inched his way closer to the edge of the small ledge as the deputies neared.

"Right when we got there, we thought he was going to jump," Nord said. "He was sitting on the edge with his legs hanging over the side. He looked at me a couple of times. He just had a blank stare."

Nord called for deputies to close the southbound lanes of I-95 in case the man decided to jump. Then he tried to talk the man off of the ledge.

"Whenever he would look away from me, I would take a few steps closer, and when he would look at me, I would stop walking," Nord said.

The man began rocking back and forth while watching the traffic as if he was trying to time when to jump, Nord said.

"We could tell he wasn't playing," Vazquez said. "It really, really appeared that he had made up his mind."

Nord signaled to Vazquez that it was time to intervene and the two quickly pulled the man backward onto the sidewalk.

"It felt like he was kind of relieved that he didn't have to make the decision himself," Nord said of the man. "Finally he said, 'I just don't want to live anymore.'"

The man told Nord and Vazquez that he had been released from a Palm Beach hospital earlier that day after undergoing a medical health evaluation. He said he took a bus to the nearby Tri-Rail station, then walked to the bridge.

Nord said the man, who had been carrying medication, said he recently lost his job and his insurance and was an alcoholic. He also said he would try to kill himself again and was transported to Imperial Point Hospital for medical health evaluation.

"You take this job to help people," Nord said. "Sometimes you forget how good it feels."

Copyright 2015 - Sun Sentinel

Last edited by M3Inline6; 07-29-2015 at 05:21 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 05:19 PM   #25
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

DA: Troopers' Use of Force 'Legally Permissible'

PUBLIC OPINION, CHAMBERSBURG, PA. ON JUL 24, 2015

CHAMBERSBURG, Pa. -- Two Pennsylvania State Police troopers acted within the law when they discharged their firearms, resulting in the shooting of a Chambersburg man during an incident on July 17 in Letterkenny Township, Franklin County District Attorney Matthew Fogal said in a news release issued Thursday evening.

The troopers, whom authorities have not identified, exchanged gunfire with Larry Woodal Jr., Chambersburg, upon responding at about 8:21 p.m. to a complaint of shots fired in the vicinity of Woodal's home in the Letterkenny Park mobile home court on an unnamed street just off Rocky Springs Road.

One round fired by Woodal struck one of the troopers in the right leg, prompting return fire from police. According to the criminal complaint filed with Magisterial District Judge Kelly Rock, Woodal was struck in an undisclosed area of the body by a least one round as he retreated inside his residence and continued to fire at police.

Woodal was charged with attempted homicide of a law enforcement officer, among other crimes. An investigation was also opened against the troopers involved in the gunfire exchange.

"I have reviewed that investigation, and have determined that not only was the use of force legally permissible in defense of themselves, but also that the troopers acted bravely and with tactical proficiency and discipline throughout the ordeal," Fogal said in the release. "Indeed, as a result of their heroic efforts and their training, none of the many bystanders at the scene was harmed and no casualties occurred."

Fogal added: "I would like to take this opportunity to inform the community that the actions of these troopers were utterly reasonable, appropriate and correct. Furthermore, I am not overstating the case by saying that these troopers risked their lives during this incident, and our citizenry has every reason to be proud of them.

In a note concluding the news release, Fogal said he reminds readers that while Woodal is accused of various offenses, he like all defendants is innocent until proven guilty.

Fogal also said that he will make no other statements regarding the case against Woodal, as ethics guidelines prohibit him from discussing facts pertaining to an open criminal investigation pending judicial proceedings.

Copyright 2015 - Public Opinion, Chambersburg, Pa.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 07-29-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old 07-29-2015, 05:44 PM   #26
BoogetyBoogety

My Ride: 2010 SL550
This is the son-in-law of a close friend, who is himself a devoted public servant (a Plano fireman for many years):

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2015/07/27/p...-from-choking/

Cliffs: Officer Ray had just clocked out for lunch, heard the call and realized he was near, raced to the home where a <2 yr. old child was unresponsive after swallowing a coin, saved her life.
BoogetyBoogety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 08:57 PM   #27
Stankia

My Ride: F80 M3
Old 07-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #28
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Cameras Missed Slaying of Chicago Officer

STEVE SCHMADEKE ON JUL 30, 2015
SOURCE: CHICAGO TRIBUNE

A Chicago police computer expert could not explain Wednesday why police security cameras failed to capture the fatal 2010 shooting of an officer outside an Englewood police deployment center.

Attorneys for Bryant Brewer, who is on trial for the slaying of Officer Thor Soderberg, have emphasized the missing footage from two security cameras as they argue that Brewer acted in self-defense.

The defense is also expected to argue that Brewer was insane at the time. He mumbled to himself for the third straight day at trial.

Two cameras aimed at the parking lot adjoining the police facility captured Soderberg in a squad car, but both videos stopped before he stepped out of the squad car and only resume after the shooting.

Soderberg, 43, an 11-year veteran, was shot three times with his Glock 17 service weapon after a struggle with Brewer. He was found lying on his back between two marked squad cars, shot once in the back and twice in the head.

Prosecutors alleged Brewer was looking for a fight with a police officer and ended up "executing" Soderberg -- who had just ended his shift and was changing by his personal car for a volleyball game. Brewer then went on a rampage, shooting at five other police officers and a nearby handyman.

On the stand Wednesday, Officer Chris Paterno, called by the prosecution, seemed flustered when asked by Brewer's lawyer, William Wolf, to explain why the two police security cameras apparently failed to record the slaying. Superintendent Garry McCarthy arrived in the courtroom during the testimony.

Paterno said the security cameras only record to a computer server when they detect motion. He acknowledged that the cameras do not always work as intended and can fail to record even when movement occurs.

The officer testified some "skipping" is common in motion-detection video systems but that he had never in his 23-year career seen a glitch like the one in Brewer's case.

After not recording for 12 minutes, the camera turned on and then seemed to skip ahead again, even though it indicated only a second had passed.

"I have not seen this happen before," Paterno testified.

Paterno testified he and a city subcontractor spent hours the day of Soderberg's killing trying to find the missing footage. He said he believed the glitch may have been caused by a problem with the power supply to the camera.

"We were trying to figure out why the most important part (of the shooting) was not there," he said.

Paterno testified the original video feeds from the cameras were recorded over by the security system within about 48 hours and could not again be retrieved.

The bench trial before Judge Timothy Joyce is expected to end early next week.

Copyright 2015 - Chicago Tribune
Old 07-30-2015, 01:11 PM   #29
bagher
Account closed.

Send a message via AIM to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Cameras Missed Slaying of Chicago Officer

STEVE SCHMADEKE ON JUL 30, 2015
SOURCE: CHICAGO TRIBUNE

A Chicago police computer expert could not explain Wednesday why police security cameras failed to capture the fatal 2010 shooting of an officer outside an Englewood police deployment center.

Attorneys for Bryant Brewer, who is on trial for the slaying of Officer Thor Soderberg, have emphasized the missing footage from two security cameras as they argue that Brewer acted in self-defense.

The defense is also expected to argue that Brewer was insane at the time. He mumbled to himself for the third straight day at trial.

Two cameras aimed at the parking lot adjoining the police facility captured Soderberg in a squad car, but both videos stopped before he stepped out of the squad car and only resume after the shooting.

Soderberg, 43, an 11-year veteran, was shot three times with his Glock 17 service weapon after a struggle with Brewer. He was found lying on his back between two marked squad cars, shot once in the back and twice in the head.

Prosecutors alleged Brewer was looking for a fight with a police officer and ended up "executing" Soderberg -- who had just ended his shift and was changing by his personal car for a volleyball game. Brewer then went on a rampage, shooting at five other police officers and a nearby handyman.

On the stand Wednesday, Officer Chris Paterno, called by the prosecution, seemed flustered when asked by Brewer's lawyer, William Wolf, to explain why the two police security cameras apparently failed to record the slaying. Superintendent Garry McCarthy arrived in the courtroom during the testimony.

Paterno said the security cameras only record to a computer server when they detect motion. He acknowledged that the cameras do not always work as intended and can fail to record even when movement occurs.

The officer testified some "skipping" is common in motion-detection video systems but that he had never in his 23-year career seen a glitch like the one in Brewer's case.

After not recording for 12 minutes, the camera turned on and then seemed to skip ahead again, even though it indicated only a second had passed.

"I have not seen this happen before," Paterno testified.

Paterno testified he and a city subcontractor spent hours the day of Soderberg's killing trying to find the missing footage. He said he believed the glitch may have been caused by a problem with the power supply to the camera.

"We were trying to figure out why the most important part (of the shooting) was not there," he said.

Paterno testified the original video feeds from the cameras were recorded over by the security system within about 48 hours and could not again be retrieved.

The bench trial before Judge Timothy Joyce is expected to end early next week.

Copyright 2015 - Chicago Tribune
what exactly does this tragedy have to do with good conduct of police officers?
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #30
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Judge Tosses Two Charges Against Marshal

JAVIER PANZAR ON JUL 30, 2015
SOURCE: LOS ANGELES TIMES

A federal judge on Wednesday tossed out two charges against an off-duty deputy U.S. marshal accused of killing a man during a confrontation in a Fairfax-area alley.

In his ruling, U.S. District Judge Philip S. Gutierrez faulted federal prosecutors for not providing enough evidence to convict Matthew Itkowitz of depriving a man's civil rights "under color of law" when he allegedly killed 26-year-old Ryan Gonzalez.

Itkowitz still has two obstruction of justice counts filed against him in connection with misleading statements he allegedly provided to Los Angeles police investigators about what happened during the March 5, 2008, shooting. Each count carries a maximum 20-year federal prison sentence.

The partial acquittal of Itkowitz was a significant setback for federal prosecutors and dealt a blow to Gonzalez's family.

"What is going on in our justice system?" said Gonzalez's stepfather, Ray Smithen, outside the courtroom. "He killed my son in cold blood."

After the judge's ruling, Assistant U.S. Atty. Lawrence Middleton told jurors during closing arguments that Itkowitz lied about the incident, telling his supervisor that two Latino men had tried to rob him in the alley. To homicide detectives, Itkowitz recounted that he fired while being attacked, Middleton said.

Surveillance video of the incident revealed Itkowitz's account to be untrue, Middleton argued. Video of the shooting -- played repeatedly during the trial -- initially shows Itkowitz and Gonzalez fighting. The confrontation was sparked by Itkowitz striking his wife outside the tattoo parlor where Gonzalez worked, prosecutors said.

After the men exchanged blows, they walked away from each other. About a minute elapsed before the shooting occurred, according to the video. Itkowitz can be seen shooting Gonzalez with a Glock .40-caliber pistol. Gonzalez was shot five times, including twice in his back as he was chased by Itkowitz, prosecutors said

"After he shot Ryan Gonzalez, the defendant tried to cover up what he had done," Middleton told jurors in the downtown Los Angeles courtroom. "He described a shooting that looked nothing like what you saw."

Defense attorneys countered that Itkowitz wasn't trying to mislead police officers but had been under a significant amount of stress. Before his interview with investigators, the off-duty deputy had been awake for 30 hours and had received an injection of morphine at a hospital for injuries received in the fight, federal public defender Christopher Dybwad said.

"Sometimes people just get it wrong," Dybwad said. "Isn't it possible he got his memory wrong?"

The Los Angeles County district attorney's office had earlier declined to file charges against the deputy marshal, saying it had insufficient evidence despite concluding that the security video was "patently inconsistent" with Itkowitz's account of the shooting.

After closing arguments concluded, the jury began about half a day of deliberations without reaching a verdict. Jurors are expected to return Thursday to continue weighing the charges.

javier.panzar@latimes.com

Twitter: @jpanzar

Times staff writer Matt Hamilton contributed to this report.

Copyright 2015 - Los Angeles Times
Old 07-30-2015, 01:19 PM   #31
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
what exactly does this tragedy have to do with good conduct of police officers?
I mentioned adding stories of officer's losing their lives (..albeit in a quip) in my initial post, but you obviously overlooked that.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 07-30-2015 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 01:21 PM   #32
bagher
Account closed.

Send a message via AIM to bagher
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I mentioned adding stories of officer's losing their lives (..albeit in a quip) in my initial post, but you obviously overlooked that.
my mistake. this site says 68 this year

https://www.odmp.org/search/year
bagher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #33
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagher View Post
my mistake. this site says 68 this year

https://www.odmp.org/search/year

It's not up to date (..close though). There are over 70.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 07-31-2015 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #34
roastbeef

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post

This is pure stupidity on the officer's part. They gave up control and let this man get between them and create a crossfire situation- even though they should have dumped him when he began his advance with the knife.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:39 PM   #35
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
This is pure stupidity on the officer's part. They gave up control and let this man get between them and create a crossfire situation- even though they should have dumped him when he began his advance with the knife.
That guy is extremely lucky.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 07-30-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 04:00 PM   #36
Stankia

Quote:
WTF are you talking about, the British police don't even have guns. They handled the situation like a good cop should.
Old 07-30-2015, 06:16 PM   #37
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
They don't have guns, they're UK cops.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 07:10 PM   #38
roastbeef

I heard they started carrying a few years back. Didn't know each day was a suicide mission for them.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:39 PM   #39
Stankia

Quote:
I heard they started carrying a few years back. Didn't know each day was a suicide mission for them.
You must be one of those guys that doesn't leave his bedroom without a glock.
Old 07-30-2015, 07:45 PM   #40
roastbeef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
You must be one of those guys that doesn't leave his bedroom without a glock.

You must be one of those guys that has never had to fight for his life.