E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-03-2015, 10:55 AM   #61
FanaticE46

This thread is crazy ha but fun
FanaticE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:57 AM   #62
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonJon View Post
The correct answer is no... All lives DONT matter. There are millions of people on this planet that if died, the world would be a better place. There are people on this earth that should... that need to be culled off. The most violent, the sexual predators, the murderers, the ones that prey, etc.

Life ain't a hallmark card of forgiveness and perfection. Some lives don't matter.
#ProtectTheGoodLives is more appropriate.

race, creed, color, economic status, what profession that person holds means nothing. Judge on actions
So poetic. So soapbox. So love.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:08 AM   #63
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
The correct answer is no... All lives DONT matter. There are millions of people on this planet that if died, the world would be a better place. There are people on this earth that should... that need to be culled off. The most violent, the sexual predators, the murderers, the ones that prey, etc.

Life ain't a hallmark card of forgiveness and perfection. Some lives don't matter.
#ProtectTheGoodLives is more appropriate.

race, creed, color, economic status, what profession that person holds means nothing. Judge on actions
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 11:10 AM   #64
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
This just in: cop prevents crime. Key to the city awarded for doing his job.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-03-2015, 11:16 AM   #65
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
This just in: cop prevents crime. Key to the city awarded for doing his job.

All of law enforcement thanks you for your endorsement.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:42 PM   #66
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
These days I'm on a Power Snatch kick.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #67
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucifer325 View Post

....You're a riot!
Old 08-03-2015, 02:35 PM   #68
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
Ewe
You ain't ready. They make it rain in the bedroom. Back on topic....
Old 08-03-2015, 02:44 PM   #69
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge
Quote:
Why these two pinned threads serve no purpose except for self validation.

If JonJon was a mod and made a Reynolds Wrap sticky, that would be self-validation.

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 03:56 PM   #70
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedisbetter View Post
I couldn't even get through 2 minutes with that b*tch's awful whore mouth fvcking voice. Someone needs to punch her in the ovaries
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBizzo88 View Post
This officer showed some great restraint. Biotch would've been choked out if it were me.

My God! She was annoying. I saw the reflection of her Birkenstock and it all made sense.

It's interesting how this is viewed relative to the Sandra Bland case. There really wasn't much difference between the two situations as far as I'm concerned (...well....except the public's perception of it because Bland was black and the fact that the officer had to physically remove Bland; the Caucasian female exited the vehicle herself, but she would have been removed if she persisted). There were some minor variances, but in both cases an arrest was effected that could have been avoided, and in both cases the detained individuals were mouthy and non-compliant toward officers that were respectful to them.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-03-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:31 PM   #71
HBizzo88

My Ride: 2002 bmw 330ci
We don't even know what they were pulled over for and he said he wasn't finished with the investigation.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:34 PM   #72
Xcelratr

My Ride: 04 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
My God! She was annoying. I saw the reflection of her Birkenstock and it all made sense.

It's interesting how this is viewed relative to the Sandra Bland case. There really wasn't much difference between the two situations as far as I'm concerned (...well....except the public's perception of it because Bland was black and the fact that the officer had to physically remove Bland; the Caucasian female exited the vehicle herself, but she would have been removed if she persisted). There were some minor variances, but in both cases an arrest was effected that could have been avoided, and in both cases the detained individuals were mouthy and non-compliant toward officers that were respectful to them.
As far as attention is concerned, Sandra Bland has the competitive advantage of having died in jail. If she didn't die in jail, she'd just be another person griping about getting arrested.
----------------------------------------------
Xcelratr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #73
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
Completely different
3:30 COP "So far you have not done anything wrong"

Cop has NO right to ask for identification or detain her. She is a passenger in the vehicle and should be free to leave as she requested.

Cop was in the wrong

An officer does have THE RIGHT to request identification. The citizen may choose not to PRODUCE identification, but being non-compliant during a detainment will ultimately get you arrested, especially if you provide false identification to a peace officer. She also didn't do anything wrong initially (...which is why he said, "Yet!", and warned her that she was edging herself closer toward the end of the spectrum that would result in her being taken into custody), but he quoted the PC violation - in case you conveniently disregarded that part of the video - that she would be charged with IF she didn't remove herself from the vehicle and comply. Being a passenger in the vehicle doesn't necessarily mean that she's free to go as she pleases.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-03-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:36 PM   #74
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBizzo88 View Post
We don't even know what they were pulled over for and he said he wasn't finished with the investigation.
Exactly! JonJon overlooked the details in the officer's words. She was 'detained' and wasn't free to leave, which is the case with any traffic stop.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-03-2015 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:39 PM   #75
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcelratr View Post
As far as attention is concerned, Sandra Bland has the competitive advantage of having died in jail. If she didn't die in jail, she'd just be another black person griping about getting arrested with an ensuing public outcry regarding her skin color as if any of that matters.
ftfy!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-03-2015 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:24 PM   #76
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
She committed no crime, was not suspected of anything and was a passenger in the vehicle. I need a legal justification to detain her. Where is it?

Agreed, the officer can "ask" you anything, but he has no lawful power to demand it in this case. You don't need a license unless you are driving, hence she doesn't need to produce it (added that she is not under a lawful detention in the first place as there was no suspicion of a crime afoot). You can't just demand ID from people.

She was happy to exit the vehicle and walk down the road. The officer impeded her right to freely travel and oppressed her under the color of law

What was the lawful justification to detain her?
She wasn't the driver and the officer freely admitted she "did nothing wrong".

You can't lawfully just detain people without cause.

I'll wait

JonJon, we don't know what he was investigating (...notice the missing driver???), so it's uncertain what was going on. You're looking for answers that I do not have. A ten minute excerpt tells us nothing. For all we know, those officers might have found drugs in the vehicle and were trying to establish whether or not the passenger had any connection to them.

..and no, she was not "happy" to exit the vehicle and walk down the road. She only complied.......if you even want to call it that - after multiple directives - because the officer threatened to arrest her if she didn't exit the vehicle. Even then, she was reluctant to follow basic/simple orders.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-03-2015 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:05 PM   #77
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
I think we'd be in total agreement if the officer never stated that she wasn't suspected of any crime. I recognize the legal leeway SCOTUS gives you guys though.
Still don't agree with it from an ethics perspective (and several SCOTUS judges agree with me)
He had not identified her at that time, and that is why he phrased his response in the manner that he did. Ethically this officer did nothing wrong and conducted himself above board. Frankly, if you find issue with this arrest (..and this officer's conduct), then you'll find issue with every law enforcement contact. This was as "by the book" as it comes.

• 0:52 - The officer contacted dispatch and advised that he had an unidentified passenger in the vehicle.
  • 3:25-3:33 - The officer advised the occupant that she would be free to leave after the investigation concluded (..in other words, she was officially detained until otherwise stated), and that he didn't know if she had done anything wrong "at that point" since her identification hadn't been verified. He hadn't confirmed if there were any outstanding wants and warrants. He even provided her with PC148 to explain his justification for moving forward in the manner that he did.

Judging by the free radical citizens that post similar videos, the driver was driving without a California license (..confirmed) and the car was likely unregistered since these groups feel that no laws apply to them. Who knows what else they found. The last video posted of a police contact with one of these idiots, the driver had a warrant. He was fortunate to not be arrested on the spot. If that same Arizona (..or was it Nevada?) driver from the other video had run into this California officer, he would have been taken into custody.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-03-2015 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:19 PM   #78
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Memphis shooting: Suspect in officer's slaying arrested...

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/03/us/mem...-traffic-stop/
Old 08-03-2015, 09:25 PM   #79
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brendlin_v._California

Old 08-03-2015, 09:29 PM   #80
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

Quote:
If this was by the book, provide me with the statute, case law, etc that shows you can detain a passenger and demand ID.

To clean this up... The car was stopped for a moving violation and passenger not suspected of any crime (as stated by the officer in the vehicle)
You of all people should know the case law precedent (...most of which I do not; I don't care that much)....

Brendlin v. California....which then led to Brigham City v. Stuart....

Quote:
Focusing on the objective standard of whether a reasonable person would have believed that he or she was free to leave, Justice Souter said that the Court's "intuitive conclusion" lead it to conclude "that in these circumstances any reasonable passenger would have understood the police officers to be exercising control to the point that no one in the car was free to depart without police permission." A reasonable passenger in a vehicle stopped by police would "expect that a police officer at the scene of a crime, arrest, or investigation will not let people move around in ways that could jeopardize his [or her] safety.
Quote:
Brendlin v. California holds that passengers are "seized" and that officers should look for reasonable suspicion of criminal activity by the passenger if the officer intends to particularly detain the passenger or demand that the passenger comply with some order.

...and also Maryland v. Wilson

Quote:
The Court noted its previous ruling in Maryland v. Wilson that permits officers to require the driver and any passengers to remain in the car, or to get out of the car, solely to preserve the officers' safety. Maryland v. Wilson, 519 U.S. 408 (1997). Justice Souter explained that Brendlin's act of remaining seated in the car may well have signaled his submission to police authority. Some courts have relied on Maryland v. Wilson to rule that officers may require the driver and passengers to remain inside the car. Rogala v. District of Columbia, 1616 F.3d 44 (D.C. Cir. 1998). Other courts extend the rule to require the driver and passengers to keep hands in plain sight during the traffic stop. United States v. Moorefield, 111 F.3d 10 (3rd Cir. 1997); King v. State, 696 So.2d 860 (Fla. App. 1997).

Thanks for playing!

Quote:
Damn! In all of my edits you beat me to it.

Last edited by M3Inline6; 08-03-2015 at 09:30 PM.