E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2016, 03:29 PM   #1
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

My Ride: Euro
Send a message via AIM to Don Nguyen
***Don Nguyen | Gloss and Matte Black Roof Wrap Pictures***

Old thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...705158&page=20

Since my other threads are almost 6-7 years old now, I figured it was time to start a fresh thread for me to post pictures in.

If you guys have any particular requests for how a vinyl finish may look on a certain car's roof or if you want me to post some specific pictures from a particular angle, let me know and I'll do my best to get those pictures for you guys.

Here are some pictures of a silver E46 M3 coupe's roof that I wrapped in my gloss black vinyl material. Even though it is probably true that the majority of cars that get their roofs wrapped are white, I think the gloss black roof still looks pretty good on other colors as well, such as this silver M3. The owner of this particular car came out to me in Orange County to have the roof vinyl wrap done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Don Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #2
Kronix

My Ride: 2015 Z06 & 2004 325i
Looks great! I used to work at Antidote Performance in Anaheim, and we specialized in wraps, so I can definitely tell a good job! I have a Jet Black 325i sedan, and I'm adding a Carbon Fiber rear spoiler, so the thought has crossed my mind about doing the roof in CF, thoughts?

2016 C7 Z06 LMR 1000
2011 Camaro ZLX 1 of 1-SOLD
2010 MB GLK 350
2008 Corvette Z06 LMR 800
2007 Chevy Tahoe Zombie71 Edition-SOLD
2004 E46 325i Sedan-SOLD
Kronix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 01:12 PM   #3
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Thanks for the compliments. It's going to come down largely to preference. However, I would probably say that the CF roof would compliment the other CF parts that you'll have on the car.

-Don
Old 05-21-2016, 03:57 PM   #4
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Gloss black vinyl roof wrap
- Gloss black window trim wrap
- Gloss black trunk bar

I always enjoy how a simple thing such as a gloss black roof wrap and blacking out the chrome on a car can completely change the look of the car, but still retain an OEM / factory look and not look aftermarket or overly modified. For this white Mercedes Benz C63 sedan, we went with a gloss black roof to give it the panoramic roof look and also gloss black on the chrome window trim pieces to match, similar to what Mercedes also offers from the factory on some newer models as well now. the owner of this car was from San Diego and came up to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to have the vinyl wrap work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 06-03-2016, 01:50 PM   #5
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Gloss black window trim wrap
- Gloss black trunk bar

I always enjoy how a simple thing such as a gloss black roof wrap and blacking out the chrome on a car can completely change the look of the car, but still retain an OEM / factory look and not look aftermarket or overly modified. For this white Mercedes Benz C63 sedan, we went with a gloss black roof to give it the panoramic roof look and also gloss black on the chrome window trim pieces to match, similar to what Mercedes also offers from the factory on some newer models as well now. the owner of this car was from San Diego and came up to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to have the vinyl wrap work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 07-09-2016, 12:40 PM   #6
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Tinted / smoked tail lights

For this Audi A4 B7 Sedan, we wrapped the roof of his car in my gloss black vinyl material and also lightly tinted / smoked the tail lights on the car. The tail lights were actually fairly dull and almost a matte finish before wrapping them, which can be seen in one of the close up pictures of the rear tail light. However, I was able to bring life back into them again and make them possibly even glossier / shinier than they were brand new from the factory. So even for those who are not looking to necessarily change the look of their car up, I am also able to vinyl wrap certain pieces/parts on the car to help restore certain faded/oxidized finishes. The owner of this car was from Fullerton brought his car to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to have the vinyl work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 08-11-2016, 10:19 AM   #7
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:

This is a previous customer of mine that had some vinyl work done by me as well. This time around, he brought by his white Mercedes Benz C63 AMG sedan to have me wrap the roof in my gloss black vinyl material. The gloss black blends in fairly well with the glass sunroof. The owner of this car was from Cerritos / Los Angeles and came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange county to have the work done. It is almost like this car was meant to come with a black roof, since the side roof rails and antenna for some reason come gloss black from the factory already as well.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 08-14-2016, 10:40 PM   #8
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Gloss black rock / stone guard

This white Porsche Panamera is another previous customer of mine. Seems like I have a lot of previous/return customers bringing in new/different cars to have vinyl work done to them, which is always a good sign that they were happy with the work done previously. For this Porsche Panamera, I wrapped the roof in gloss black and also freehand traced the faded side rear rock/stone guard piece. The car came with a factory clear stone guard film on there, but over time it had faded and turned yellow, so the owner of the car wanted me to wrap it in gloss black to match the rest of the black/white theme already on the car. I actually went out to the location of the car to do this install, as part of my mobile services that I have begun to offer.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 09-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #9
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:

This is another return customer of mine. I had previously tinted the tail lights and blacked out the chrome window trim. However, this time, the owner of this grey Mercedes CLA 250 sedan had me wrap the roof of his car in my gloss black vinyl material. The gloss black roof is a really nice subtle touch to the car, especially with the darker grey / silver color of the car. The owner of this car was from Fontana / Inland Empire and came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to have the vinyl work done on his car.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 09-27-2016, 09:40 PM   #10
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:

Although it is more common to see newer cars getting vinyl work done on their cars, I believe that adding gloss black on black roof on an older car can really update the look of the car and change the looks of it completely. The black roof gives it a nice update/change in look, without making it look out of place. It still flows well with the look of the car, even if the rest of it is still stock/factory. The owner of this car came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County from Pasadena / Los Angeles to get the vinyl wrap work done.

Before:

After:

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 10-08-2016, 10:51 AM   #11
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Matte black vinyl roof wrap

Matte black is a good alternative to gloss black wraps for those who want to add a bit more of a contrast to the roof wrap or those who are trying to go for a more aggressive look. The owner of this Acura TSX sedan had me wrap his roof in my matte black vinyl finish. There are a lot of different brands of matte wraps out there, but I think the materials that I use provides one of the nicer shades of matte black, unlike the flat or chalk board looking types of matte wraps out there. The owner of this car was from Hollywood / Los Angeles and came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to have the vinyl wrap work done on his car.

-Don

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 10-17-2016, 11:21 AM   #12
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:

I believe most Teslas usually come with the black solar roofs already, but this particular Tesla Model S had a body colored roof from the factory, so the owner had me wrap it in my gloss black vinyl material. What would have made a big difference on the appearance of the car as well would have been if they were to also black out all of the chrome trim pieces that are on the car, such as the window trim, badges, etc. The owner of this car was from Downtown Los Angeles and came out to me in Orange County / Anaheim Hills to get the vinyl work done.

-Don Nguyen

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 10-31-2016, 11:52 AM   #13
Depoman

Any shots of a silbergrau e46 sedan with gloss black roof? I have an 04 with sunroof, how much would this set me back?
Depoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

I'll try to see if I have anything for you and post it if I find them.

-Don
Old 02-18-2017, 12:43 PM   #15
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Gloss black roof vinyl wrap
- Gloss black chrome window trim delete vinyl wrap
- Gloss black lower side skirt vinyl wrap

I did a fair amount of vinyl work on this white Mercedes Benz CLA 250. To add some character to the car, we went with gloss black on the roof, for the side chrome window trim pieces, and finished it off with the lower side skirts. Even though quite a bit was done to the car, if someone were to look at the car, you may have thought the car came like this from the factory. The owner of this car came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County from San Diego / Oceanside to get the vinyl work done on their car. Overall, the car turned out very nicely and will compliment any future mods they do or look good as is, even if nothing else is done to the car.

-Don

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 02-26-2017, 08:41 PM   #16
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325XI, e36 M3
Don, what are your thoughts on wax/sealing the paint before a wrap? I have seen some installers go this route first if say for example the clear coat on the panel was showing signs of etching or failure
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #17
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Gloss black roof vinyl wrap

To change things up a bit, I took an "in progress" picture of the roof, kind of showing how the roof looks like before, during, and after the wrap. It's a bit more work to take the in progress pictures, but if this is something people would be interested in seeing, I could consider doing it more often in the future.

For this white Audi A4 sedan, I wrapped the roof of the car in my gloss black vinyl material. The owner of this car was from downtown Los Angeles area and came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County to get the vinyl wrap work done. The black roof went well with the black optics package that the car already had from the dealer.

-Don

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 03-06-2017, 02:40 PM   #18
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
Don, what are your thoughts on wax/sealing the paint before a wrap? I have seen some installers go this route first if say for example the clear coat on the panel was showing signs of etching or failure
It is personal preference, and I usually leave it up the owner of the car to decide what they'd like to do for/with the roof beforehand. Waxing a roof that has clear coat failure is probably not going to do much whether you get the roof wrapped or not anyways.
Old 04-16-2017, 03:39 PM   #19
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:
- Matte black roof vinyl wrap

For this white Lotus Evora, the owner of the car wanted to go with my matte black vinyl wrap material on the roof of the car and also the lower side skirts/rockers of the car. The matte black roof wrap provided a nice contrast with the rest of the car and really provided the car with some more defined lines to show off the shape of the car. The owner of this car came out to me in Anaheim Hills / Orange County from Walnut to get the vinyl work done on his car.

-Don

Don@WannabeRacer.com
Old 05-16-2017, 09:25 PM   #20
Don Nguyen
Regional Sponsor

Overview:

Lately I have gotten some more SUVs in to get vinyl work done. Probably a progression of those who modified their coupes/sedans before, but now had to get a bigger family car haha. The owner of this white Land Rover Range Rover had me wrap the entire roof his car in gloss black. Unlike most roofs, the roof on this Range Rover was made up of many separate sections, which made it quite a bit of work to wrap, but the end results looked good. The owner of this car was from Beverley Hills Los Angeles and came out to me in Anaheim Hills Orange County to get the vinyl work done.

-Don

Don@WannabeRacer.com