E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-09-2016, 09:32 AM   #21
mistrzmiasta

My Ride: GLK350,ML63, Duc1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by WDE46 View Post
People who are Android OR Apple exclusively are idiots.
i have and android phone and an ipad pro 12.9 with a stylus. i am not an idiot.
mistrzmiasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #22
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
you kidding? lol. it's overpriced and has had numerous issues. it offers no advantages over a regular programmable thermostat. nest's massive losses and layoffs clearly show what a piece of **** it is and that google has no clue about hardware.
Nest is sucking because they haven't put out a new product since Nest came out 5 years ago. Every "revision" of the product is pretty much the same thing as the previous one giving no one a reason to buy a new thermostat.

Quote:
Hypocrite much?
No, I gave actual rationale for why that is the case. I have no loyalty to either platform and will buy whichever is better at the time I'm looking. For the past 4 years, it has been Android. I had an iPhone 4 and 5 before making the switch.

Quote:
True. I have an iPad as well just because there is no proper competitor to it on the Android side to compare it to. The Galaxy tabs are garbage and the nexus ones have left a lot to be desired. There's a reason Apple owns the tablet market.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 10:44 AM   #23
LeMansteve

My Ride: '04 330i 6mt ZSP ZPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I don't have a spec sheet, I have the actual software and both devices with day to day use experience. Android isn't the unpolished turd it used to be.

It's better with:
- Notifications
- Google Now > Siri
- Predictive/proactivve assistant rather than reactive assistant
- synchronization with all the google infrastructure that we all use (gmail, maps, calendar, etc)
- Battery life
- Ease of menu navigation
- Widget availability
- Interface with chromecast
- Ability to change whatever the hell you want
- Keyboard is infinitely better
- Scrolling is better
- Cross platform apps
- Google photos has free unlimited storage

Want me to go on?
So, for the most part you prefer Android over Apple. It's universally better for your specific preferences, but not "better" on an absolute basis.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #24
choxor

My Ride: JDM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
you kidding? lol. it's overpriced and has had numerous issues. it offers no advantages over a regular programmable thermostat. nest's massive losses and layoffs clearly show what a piece of **** it is and that google has no clue about hardware.
I've owned Nest thermostats for years. Never had issues with either of them.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:26 AM   #25
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansteve View Post
So, for the most part you prefer Android over Apple. It's universally better for your specific preferences, but not "better" on an absolute basis.
without looking at spec sheets, better is always an opinion and not a fact.
Old 09-09-2016, 11:28 AM   #26
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
i have and android phone and an ipad pro 12.9 with a stylus. i am not an idiot.
Um, in what way did my comment apply to you at all?

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:32 AM   #27
Adamo99

My Ride: 2016 Wrangler 75thAE
Quote:
True. I have an iPad as well just because there is no proper competitor to it on the Android side to compare it to. The Galaxy tabs are garbage and the nexus ones have left a lot to be desired. There's a reason Apple owns the tablet market.
I actually really like my Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2. It's the first Android tablet, I've found, that comes close to the polish and performance of the iPad units.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:41 AM   #28
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Long time android hacker here. Used to tweak and jerk the fvck out of my Androids for years and years. Been on the dev forums for years. They're fun and would consider them again one day. Right now, for me, I prefer Apple. I got tired of jerking my phones firmware off to get the bloatware off and get it to run optimally--only for it to crash and reboot randomly because I chose the wrong version of firmware upgrade that some tweaker screwed up because he wanted to add alien logos to the boot up screen. Kind of similar to getting a car, tweaking it in your garage every weekend, tuning it, etc. or just buying something that works out of the box and not having it get in your way.

Still fun phones. Just not for me at the moment. Waiting for their software and hardware to be integrated flawlessly into a super sharp (not plastic) looking machine and not a one size fits all approach to the software

If I were to get an Android phone today I would go for S7 Edge. I would go straight to the standard. Don't mess with anything else.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #29
WDE46

My Ride: '13 128i, '04 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Long time android hacker here. Used to tweak and jerk the fvck out of my Androids for years and years. Been on the dev forums for years. They're fun and would consider them again one day. Right now, for me, I prefer Apple. I got tired of jerking my phones firmware off to get the bloatware off and get it to run optimally--only for it to crash and reboot randomly because I chose the wrong version of firmware upgrade that some tweaker screwed up because he wanted to add alien logos to the boot up screen. Kind of similar to getting a car, tweaking it in your garage every weekend, tuning it, etc. or just buying something that works out of the box and not having it get in your way.

Still fun phones. Just not for me at the moment. Waiting for their software and hardware to be integrated flawlessly into a super sharp (not plastic) looking machine and not a one size fits all approach to the software

If I were to get an Android phone today I would go for S7 Edge. I would go straight to the standard. Don't mess with anything else.

Exact same reason why my Droix X was my first and only android phone so far. It was cool and fun to be honest but my iPhone comes out of the box and does basically everything I could need and requires no modification. Older iterations of iOS did lack some key features that were a big deal but that is no longer the case.

I have a dream that one day our children will live in a
nation where they will not be judged by the color of
their skin but by the color of their coolant.
WDE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 12:55 PM   #30
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
I think the novelty of tweaking the OS wears off after a while for most people. At a certain point most people just want an appliance phone that works all the time.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:00 PM   #31
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
I actually really like my Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2. It's the first Android tablet, I've found, that comes close to the polish and performance of the iPad units.
Yeah but at the end of the day it's still a Samsung and it still doesn't get the updates when it should and it still comes loaded with BS bloatware. What I want is a good Nexus tablet that can actually compete with the iPad and as of right now, that device doesn't exist.

Quote:

See this is where you need to try it again, you don't HAVE to change anything anymore. If you get a Nexus (and again, I'm dumbfounded that most people don't), it comes with zero bloatware and an extremely polished OS. Android 7 is worlds better than even Android 5.5, they make huge strides in polish and stability with every version. I haven't rooted my Nexus because I don't have to and I'm extremely happy with how well it runs without the BS bloat on there.

If you went to a base stock S7, you'd want to pull your hair out with how much bloat comes on it. Get a Nexus (or Pixel or whatever they're going to call the next one) and see how polished it is now.
Old 09-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #32
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Quote:
Blackberry phone /12.9 iPad Pro
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:07 PM   #33
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Yeah but at the end of the day it's still a Samsung and it still doesn't get the updates when it should and it still comes loaded with BS bloatware. What I want is a good Nexus tablet that can actually compete with the iPad and as of right now, that device doesn't exist.

See this is where you need to try it again, you don't HAVE to change anything anymore. If you get a Nexus (and again, I'm dumbfounded that most people don't), it comes with zero bloatware and an extremely polished OS. Android 7 is worlds better than even Android 5.5, they make huge strides in polish and stability with every version. I haven't rooted my Nexus because I don't have to and I'm extremely happy with how well it runs without the BS bloat on there.

If you went to a base stock S7, you'd want to pull your hair out with how much bloat comes on it. Get a Nexus (or Pixel or whatever they're going to call the next one) and see how polished it is now.
I'll consider it in the future. But for now my iPhones do what I need them to do and I'm already immersed in the ecosystem (iMac, lightning chargers up the wazoo) and accustomed to the software/photography side of it. It just works and see no reason to switch up just to experiment. Besides iPhone 7+ already ordered.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:37 PM   #34
trizzuth

My Ride: 231k, 16yr old B3AST
Quote:

Quote:
Exact same reason why my Droix X was my first and only android phone so far. It was cool and fun to be honest but my iPhone comes out of the box and does basically everything I could need and requires no modification. Older iterations of iOS did lack some key features that were a big deal but that is no longer the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
I think the novelty of tweaking the OS wears off after a while for most people. At a certain point most people just want an appliance phone that works all the time.
These are the exact reasons why the iPhone is so good. It could even be a commercial. It's just that good at mostly every single thing it does. Just make sure you selectively shut off your apps that are chugging through cellular data when you're not on wifi, based on your plan, as it's basically a hidden scam to make the cellular providers tons of money.
Old 09-09-2016, 06:35 PM   #35
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
So what was this thread about again? Lol

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 06:58 PM   #36
Stankia

My Ride: F80 M3
Quote:

Quote:
You guys live 5 years in the past. You don't have to modify Android at all these days besides rooting it to get rid of the adds. And the phones themselves are no longer made from cheap plastic as well.
Old 09-14-2016, 10:43 AM   #37
TIHZ TA3

My Ride: Elise SC
Those are really neat, thank you for sharing these with us.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:36 PM   #38
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Hopefully these are the dream of Apple hardware running Google software.

Currently my Nexus 5X is Google software running on potato hardware.

And my iPad is Apple hardware running potato software.

Why can't I just have everything? Is everything so much to ask?
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 07:55 PM   #39
taxi_driver

My Ride: has a meter in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Hopefully these are the dream of Apple hardware running Google software.

Currently my Nexus 5X is Google software running on potato hardware.

And my iPad is Apple hardware running potato software.

Why can't I just have everything? Is everything so much to ask?
are you still on project fi?

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2007 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L - Sold
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2016, 09:25 PM   #40
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi_driver View Post
are you still on project fi?
Unfortunately not. We moved and had to switch to Verizon to even barely get a signal in the new building. The wifi calling worked for outbound calls, but wasn't reliable enough receiving them.

T mo is scheduled to roll out their lower frequency LTE here soon, which should greatly help with building penetration. Will switch back soon. I hear group plans are imminent too. Maybe they'll cut a deal for a multi person plan.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote