E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-26-2016, 09:57 AM   #81
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Also, there are rumors that Google will show an early demo of "Andromeda," the long fabled merger of Android and ChromeOS.

Currently, the first Andromeda-based product is scheduled to ship this time next year:

Exclusive: Google is planning a 'Pixel 3' laptop running the 'Andromeda' OS for release in Q3 2017
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #82
taxi_driver

My Ride: has a meter in it
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...-press-images/

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2007 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L - Sold
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:10 PM   #83
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
The thing I'm most excited for is Google Home. We'll see how good it is vs Echo. From what I've read so far, it doesn't seem like it'll be nearly as good which is a shame.

I probably won't get a Pixel phone this year, the 6P is still doing just fine for me which is awesome. My Galaxy S4 was a POS and I was in dire need for a new phone by the end of 1 year of use. I literally had to carry around an external battery otherwise the phone would die in a matter of 4-5hrs.
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:44 PM   #84
jeffro3000

Everything went about as expected. Ordered my Pixel right at launch, although delivery dates don't seem to have slipped any, so that's a first for Google.

I'm interested to see how well this camera works. Supposedly it's the best on a phone yet, handily beating the S7 and iPhone 7. HDR is the default mode, near instant capture. No camera bump either, first phone like that in awhile.

Hopefully the SD821 is a beast too, unlike the 808/810 duds. And unlimited photo and video storage at full resolution in Google photos. They are killing it in photo backup right now. No one else is in sight.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #85
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
from google: https://madeby.google.com/?utm_sourc..._ph_pmos:xhw_d

has links to videos for the products

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:50 PM   #86
coco savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Everything went about as expected. Ordered my Pixel right at launch, although delivery dates don't seem to have slipped any, so that's a first for Google.

I'm interested to see how well this camera works. Supposedly it's the best on a phone yet, handily beating the S7 and iPhone 7. HDR is the default mode, near instant capture. No camera bump either, first phone like that in awhile.

Hopefully the SD821 is a beast too, unlike the 808/810 duds. And unlimited photo and video storage at full resolution in Google photos. They are killing it in photo backup right now. No one else is in sight.
so besides screen and battery size are the pixel and XL the same phone?

Random Images

Quote:
Old 10-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #87
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
so besides screen and battery size are the pixel and XL the same phone?
Yes
Old 10-04-2016, 04:00 PM   #88
coco savage

Quote:
Yes
can you pull the trade in loop hole now with vzw? was that you who posted that

Random Images

Quote:
Old 10-04-2016, 04:37 PM   #89
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
can you pull the trade in loop hole now with vzw? was that you who posted that
Wasn't me.

Got an email from Verizon today about it though. Get up to $300 toward a Pixel when you trade in. Doesnt matter to me, bought mine from the Google Store.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:47 PM   #90
SamDoe1

Anyone going to go for the chromecast ultimate and/or google home?

I still can't decide between echo and home, guess I should wait for a few reviews before making a choice. At this point echo just has a massive leg up on home just because of how long it has been on the market.
Old 10-04-2016, 04:48 PM   #91
Stankia

My Ride: F80 M3
On the fence if I should get it, kinda expensive for what it is.

Anyone know how the Google Wifi device will work? Can I use it with my current router as a range extender?

Last edited by Stankia; 10-04-2016 at 05:27 PM.
Stankia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 06:38 PM   #92
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
On the fence if I should get it, kinda expensive for what it is.

Anyone know how the Google Wifi device will work? Can I use it with my current router as a range extender?
It'll work best as its own system. I wouldn't couple it with what you have now. Nesting routers is a terrible idea.
Old 10-04-2016, 07:30 PM   #93
taxi_driver

My Ride: has a meter in it
is anyone planning to use theirs on at&t?

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2007 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L - Sold
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 09:55 PM   #94
jeffro3000

107 pictures taken with a Pixel

Some are edited in Snapseed or VSCO. These are unreal for a smartphone. This phone is going to dominate the iPhone and Samsungs in blind comparison tests.

And based on the hands on videos, the camera app is about 100x faster than on the 5X and 6P, which was the main problem with those.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #95
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Seems like a cool phone. Was always wiling to give Android another whirl if someone came along with "The" hardware. I mean official from the ground up hardware/software synergy like the iPhone has been since day 1.

However as this is clearly a direct copy of the iPhone 6/6S, the phone is already DOA in my eyes. Done. I'll wait and see how the next iteration is and give it some serious consideration.

Some things that would bug me about switching over is I lose integration with my iMac (airdrop, calls, video calls) and you lose what seems to be The Golden Standard with apps, support, etc. The world seems to be better integrated with iOS. Also 90% of my friends are on iOS and having their messages pop up in real time in blue and being able to interact in that unique way is really cool. One thing I can't stand is when I come across someone and their message is in green and I interact with them through SMS like it's 2004. Seems like a silly thing but use iOS long enough and you'll see what I mean.

There's also security for which Android ecosystem is a nightmare. I attend a law enforcement/security conference every year and the speakers including some from the FBI drill into us how bad Android security is. There's things, loopholes, etc. in the user agreement that most miss that would blow your mind. Things running in the background and such.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 10:24 PM   #96
jeffro3000

Google's Pixel Smartphones Should Make Android Device Manufacturers Very, Very Nervous

Quote:
Pixel phones will be more efficient, more feature-filled, and more broadly integrated than any other Android competitor, full stop. And they’ll continue to be for as long as Google makes them.
It's going to be Pixel vs iPhone at the high end. Samsung and everyone else are going to be relegated to midrange/low end. No OEM can compete with Google. It's literally not possible. Samsung can't control the whole product and ecosystem like Google and Apple can.

And now, Google is adding top-tier hardware/software integration to their existing software and services advantage.

https://www.wired.com/2016/10/google-pixel-sounds-like-android-phone-dreams/
Quote:
Over the last few years, tech pundits have set up a sort of horse race between Google and Apple. Could Google get better at hardware faster than Apple could figure out software and services? Or would Apple make Siri and iCloud great long before Google made a phone anyone really wanted?
I know which horse I'm betting on now.
Old 10-04-2016, 10:44 PM   #97
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Seems like a cool phone. Was always wiling to give Android another whirl if someone came along with "The" hardware. I mean official from the ground up hardware/software synergy like the iPhone has been since day 1.
That's what this is.
Quote:
However as this is clearly a direct copy of the iPhone 6/6S, the phone is already DOA in my eyes. Done. I'll wait and see how the next iteration is and give it some serious consideration.
Wait, so now you don't want it to be like the iPhone?
Quote:
Some things that would bug me about switching over is I lose integration with my iMac (airdrop, calls, video calls)
Ah, all the things I've never touched on my iPad. Sorry, don't know anything about these.
Quote:
you lose what seems to be The Golden Standard with apps, support, etc. The world seems to be better integrated with iOS.
It's 2016, not 2012. No.
Quote:
There's also security for which Android ecosystem is a nightmare. I attend a law enforcement/security conference every year and the speakers including some from the FBI drill into us how bad Android security is. There's things, loopholes, etc. in the user agreement that most miss that would blow your mind. Things running in the background and such.
"Android" security =/= an individual phone's security.

People throw around blanket terms so there's always some way they can be right. Nexus devices (now Pixel), which get regular, immediate updates, are no less secure than an iPhone.

Apple Releases iOS 9.3.5 With Fix for Three Critical Vulnerabilities Exploited by Hacking Group

This was barely over a month ago. No one is immune, not even Apple. Apple can just patch things quicker than 3rd party Android OEMs (although many times they drag their feet). Google is in the same position as Apple when dealing with their own hardware though. It's no different.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 10-04-2016 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:42 AM   #98
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
That's what this is.

Wait, so now you don't want it to be like the iPhone?

Ah, all the things I've never touched on my iPad. Sorry, don't know anything about these.

It's 2016, not 2012. No.

"Android" security =/= an individual phone's security.

People throw around blanket terms so there's always some way they can be right. Nexus devices (now Pixel), which get regular, immediate updates, are no less secure than an iPhone.

Apple Releases iOS 9.3.5 With Fix for Three Critical Vulnerabilities Exploited by Hacking Group

This was barely over a month ago. No one is immune, not even Apple. Apple can just patch things quicker than 3rd party Android OEMs (although many times they drag their feet). Google is in the same position as Apple when dealing with their own hardware though. It's no different.
I'm just telling you whats being discussed by authorities at law enforcement/security conferences. These aren't Gizmodo-blog level discussions. These are in the know people.

As far as "I don't want the phone to be like iPhone" no... thats not what I meant. I mean is I just upgraded to the iPhone 7 which looks a bit different than the iPhone 6S. I would not want to go back to the iPhone 6S which the Pixel looks nearly identical to. That would be similar to owning an iPhone 6S for two product life cycles. 7 is not hugely different from 6S but the one I ordered is glossy jet black and so on a big level, my money is going towards a different look than the phone I have now.

I am curious about new tech and keep an open mind. I'm not necessarily looking to switch though. I'm happy with the iPhone and its ecosystem now. I use the phone that just works and works beautifully--doesn't get in my way. right now that phone is the iPhone.

I come from a heavy long-time Android hacking/tweaking background. XDA-Developers. Etc. Just some background to go with my comments.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 03:39 AM   #99
JTLaz

My Ride: 2010 Wrangler 4 Door
Quote:
I'm just telling you whats being discussed by authorities at law enforcement/security conferences. These aren't Gizmodo-blog level discussions. These are in the know people.

As far as "I don't want the phone to be like iPhone" no... thats not what I meant. I mean is I just upgraded to the iPhone 7 which looks a bit different than the iPhone 6S. I would not want to go back to the iPhone 6S which the Pixel looks nearly identical to. That would be similar to owning an iPhone 6S for two product life cycles. 7 is not hugely different from 6S but the one I ordered is glossy jet black and so on a big level, my money is going towards a different look than the phone I have now.

I am curious about new tech and keep an open mind. I'm not necessarily looking to switch though. I'm happy with the iPhone and its ecosystem now. I use the phone that just works and works beautifully--doesn't get in my way. right now that phone is the iPhone.

I come from a heavy long-time Android hacking/tweaking background. XDA-Developers. Etc. Just some background to go with my comments.
Serious question Mango-

Does the encrypt function on android phones do anything in terms of helping the security issues?
JTLaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:57 AM   #100
makecopies

My Ride: Gods Chariot
Real or a joke?
https://store.google.com/product/google_cardboard
makecopies is offline   Reply With Quote