***The Official Jeep Thread*** - Page 15 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-16-2017, 03:31 PM   #281
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
We went between the Wrangler Unlim and the Cherokee, and ultimately decided on the latter because we have a kid, and are planning on having another at some point. More comfort, better on road characteristics, better gas mileage, etc.

Edit: And if you're buying used, it's a lot better value for the Cherokee, in my opinion. If one was looking at the same price, and similar year, the mileage on the Cherokee would be much lower than the Wrangler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Cut the groceries up? Why?

Are you wanting one for the looks or the capability? If you want just for looks, I'd go elsewhere as the Wrangler is immensely capable off road and quite the opposite on road.

^ This.

Though I do want a Wrangler for the off road capability...
Thanks. She's basing her suggestion mainly on looks. We do go camping and that sort of thing. We live near the saddleback mountains/Cleveland national forest in Orange county and there happen to be a lot of truck trails, but don't use them as we don't have the vehicle for it.

I'm concerned with comfort, and it sounds like the Cherokee might fit us better although I think it's ugly af. How is the reliability with those?

Last edited by BreakfastBurrito; 03-16-2017 at 03:33 PM.
BreakfastBurrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:42 PM   #282
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
How is the Wrangled Unlimited for a family? Fiance has mentioned she wants a one and her Highlander is looking crappy cosmetic wise and few other minor issues. I'm thinking of telling let's do it but we're also planning on having kids in 2018-2019.
We are very happy with ours, and I do use it as a family vehicle, and have been for the last 5 years. Holds our 2 carseats without issue, lots of storage space, CAN BE made VERY VERY safe. In stock form not so much. It has lots of drawbacks, especially if you get a stripper model with a soft top. 8 times out of 10, you'd be better off with the Grand Cherokee or a Durango. More comfortable, roomier, etc. The GC has a pinched roof which intrudes on cargo area. If you are not planning on leaving pavement, I wouldn't even look at a wrangler. If you live in the part of the country where a Wrangler makes sense, I wouldn't even consider other vehicles (ie Colorado, california, Utah, Arizona, etc.)
Old 03-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #283
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Thanks. She's basing her suggestion mainly on looks. We do go camping and that sort of thing. We live near the saddleback mountains/Cleveland national forest in Orange county and there happen to be a lot of truck trails, but don't use them as we don't have the vehicle for it.

I'm concerned with comfort, and it sounds like the Cherokee might fit us better although I think it's ugly af. How is the reliability with those?
A trailhawk GC would have little issue with most things found on the east-ish coast. A Wrangler just gives you A LOT more options if you're a fan of the outdoor lifestyle. The options for a Wrangler are literally endless.
Old 03-16-2017, 03:47 PM   #284
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:

I'll tell you what I tell everyone who's in the market for a Cherokee (none of them listen though), if you are not going to buy the Trailhawk model, do not buy a Cherokee. A CRV/RAV4/CX5/whatever will do everything better than a non-TH Cherokee and be cheaper and better looking. That said, if you do go for the TH model, it looks worlds better and is actually capable of doing moderate to above moderate trails without a problem. It WILL NOT be as good as a Wrangler off road but on the road, it's worlds better. If you want a good compromise it's wonderful. The GC TH is even better but it's quite a lot more expensive.

Mine currently sits at ~23k miles over two years and a good amount of actual off road driving and there hasn't be any issue other than a squeaky idler pulley which was replaced under warranty. If you're going to buy used, make sure you get a MY15+ as the earlier ones have some transmission issues. Anything after is rock solid and ready to go. Even today the interior still looks great and the seats have held up extremely well.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:50 PM   #285
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
I'll tell you what I tell everyone who's in the market for a Cherokee (none of them listen though), if you are not going to buy the Trailhawk model, do not buy a Cherokee. A CRV/RAV4/CX5/whatever will do everything better than a non-TH Cherokee and be cheaper and better looking. That said, if you do go for the TH model, it looks worlds better and is actually capable of doing moderate to above moderate trails without a problem. It WILL NOT be as good as a Wrangler off road but on the road, it's worlds better. If you want a good compromise it's wonderful. The GC TH is even better but it's quite a lot more expensive.

Mine currently sits at ~23k miles over two years and a good amount of actual off road driving and there hasn't be any issue other than a squeaky idler pulley which was replaced under warranty. If you're going to buy used, make sure you get a MY15+ as the earlier ones have some transmission issues. Anything after is rock solid and ready to go. Even today the interior still looks great and the seats have held up extremely well.
The MY14's have had the transmission issues fixed, by the way. It was a programming issue at the onset, and didn't impact the MY15+'s.

Present
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 03:53 PM   #286
NYRhockey

My Ride: '04 IR ZHP 6MT Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
We are very happy with ours, and I do use it as a family vehicle, and have been for the last 5 years. Holds our 2 carseats without issue, lots of storage space, CAN BE made VERY VERY safe. In stock form not so much. It has lots of drawbacks, especially if you get a stripper model with a soft top. 8 times out of 10, you'd be better off with the Grand Cherokee or a Durango. More comfortable, roomier, etc. The GC has a pinched roof which intrudes on cargo area. If you are not planning on leaving pavement, I wouldn't even look at a wrangler. If you live in the part of the country where a Wrangler makes sense, I wouldn't even consider other vehicles (ie Colorado, california, Utah, Arizona, etc.)
What are the safety concerns with them? they must pass crash tests and while i understand a rollover with the soft top is not optimal it's probably better than with any convertible as it has the roof support bars
NYRhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:07 PM   #287
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by evolved View Post
The MY14's have had the transmission issues fixed, by the way. It was a programming issue at the onset, and didn't impact the MY15+'s.
There's more to it than that as it seems but is not something that affects every unit. There was some issue with a C clip in the transmission that could dislodge and cause a failure. This was fixed in the replacement transmission so all is ok now and the issue was pretty quick so if it hasn't happened yet, it likely won't happen at all.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 04:29 PM   #288
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ed17331 View Post
Jeeps are very cool
They can handle rough terrain
But hard to fap to
Jeep talk is too deep
Haikus get buried in text
Bros fap to jeep talk
ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 06:32 PM   #289
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockey View Post
What are the safety concerns with them? they must pass crash tests and while i understand a rollover with the soft top is not optimal it's probably better than with any convertible as it has the roof support bars
Because of the door design, the can be unsafe in side impact crashes. However, when you get tires, lift, and rock rails, it changes things severely in the Jeeps favor. Front/rear crashes in stock form (plastic bumpers) make it as safe as most other passenger vehicles. Add armor to it, and it becomes a whole different story in accidents with other vehicles. Accidents with solid objects get worse.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #290
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: ..
I find people see my stinger bar and get out of my way or avoid pulling out in front of me. Definitely makes them think twice

Sent via the internets
Old 03-23-2017, 12:57 PM   #291
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon, E92 M3
Old 03-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #292
boostedisbetter

My Ride: eIght tHoSnd 200!!!!
^what is this sorcery? Salt flats type of standing water or something?

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 03-23-2017 at 12:58 PM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:02 PM   #293
cowmoo32
.--. . -. .. ...

My Ride: Yukon, E92 M3
If you go fast enough you can hydroplane on just about anything, and I'd imagine all 4 wheels pulling help keep it up too. I've done ~50ft on a relatively slow four wheeler before. We would always keep our weight back to keep the front from bombing under, so I'm not sure how you would do that in a car short of just going really, really fast.

Last edited by cowmoo32; 03-23-2017 at 01:03 PM.
cowmoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #294
boostedisbetter

Damn so that's legit a Lake? Like more than 5ft deep?
Old 03-23-2017, 01:08 PM   #295
boostedisbetter

looks like most are less than a couple feet deep

Old 04-06-2017, 10:05 PM   #296
NFRs2000nyc

Was researching some parts and came across this article cross posted by quadratec. Thought it was

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/03/a...esla-its-jeep/

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics
Old 04-06-2017, 10:07 PM   #297
NFRs2000nyc

***The Official Jeep Thread***

Was researching some parts and came across this article cross posted by quadratec. Thought it was interesting

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/04/03/a...esla-its-jeep/

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-07-2017 at 09:47 AM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:49 PM   #298
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
I experienced my first hint at a possible, stereotypical Chrysler issues.

My '14 Grand Cherokee (I bought brand new) has just 28,000 miles. I love it, and treat it well. Only off-roading it to the tune of going camping with the kids.

Last week, my check engine light came on. The dealer diagnosed it as a faulty oil pressure sending unit. I find that odd, since my oil pressure gauge in the EVIC reads correctly. But, under warranty, they ordered some parts. They told me it was the oil pressure sending unit. The part receipt said oil cooler. And when I took it in for the fix, they said it was the oil filter housing. I asked them to tell me exactly what they replaced, and the advisor ultimately said "I don't know - something oil related".

So I was satisfied that the check engine light was gone. But I am unsatisfied that I don't know what they did. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter. I am a bit pissed that I even had a check engine light at 28k miles. I knew I took a chance on a Chrysler product. I consider the Jeep on probabtion. I absolutely love the vehicle, even after almost.3 years of ownership. But I will sell this mother fvcker in a heartbeat if I start to see check engine lights frequently. I'll go back to other cars where I had zero problems for 150,000 miles.

On top of that, something that sounds like marbles started rolling around in the dashboard. They said they need to remove the dash and keep it for 1-3 days to find it. Not a big deal since I have another car (the 325Ci, which is in impeccable shape after 15 years). But I don't like that something has fallen off inside the dash. This might be another indicator that the quality of this Mercedes-derived Grand Cherokee might not be as good as initial impressions. I put a lot of money into my e46 to keep it pristine. But I didn't put a dime into it until about 95,000 miles. I will reduce my Jeep-enthusiasm if I have to start pumping money into it after only 28k miles.
Old 04-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #299
NFRs2000nyc

Most likely it's the oil filter housing...I had mine replaced on my 2014 Wrangler. It's a common issue, a fault in the plastic casting which reveals itself if the cap is put on too tightly with a ratchet (and it always is, since it's a 24mm "nut" and 24mm sockets are usually 3/4" drive so it's easy to overdo it.) The fact that these idiots don't know what exactly the part is called is not a chrysler issue, it's a dumb dealer issue. My experience with almost all dealers is that they are all dumb. In my particular case, the service manager is a cool guy and ONE mechanic in the service department is a jeeper so he knows his stuff, so the service manager makes sure my car always goes to him for everything. The marbles thing is a big trickier, and if I was in your shoes, I would try to find that yourself. Maybe it's a pen or something, but try and do it yourself, because the dealer will most likely fvck something up.

The part they replaced was https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...a.html.....the new number is B at the end.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 04-14-2017 at 10:01 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 08:52 AM   #300
325seeeye
Core Fanatic

My Ride: 325Ci, e36 325is
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Most likely it's the oil filter housing...I had mine replaced on my 2014 Wrangler. It's a common issue, a fault in the plastic casting which reveals itself if the cap is put on too tightly with a ratchet (and it always is, since it's a 24mm "nut" and 24mm sockets are usually 3/4" drive so it's easy to overdo it.) The fact that these idiots don't know what exactly the part is called is not a chrysler issue, it's a dumb dealer issue. My experience with almost all dealers is that they are all dumb. In my particular case, the service manager is a cool guy and ONE mechanic in the service department is a jeeper so he knows his stuff, so the service manager makes sure my car always goes to him for everything. The marbles thing is a big trickier, and if I was in your shoes, I would try to find that yourself. Maybe it's a pen or something, but try and do it yourself, because the dealer will most likely fvck something up.

The part they replaced was https://www.moparpartsgiant.com/part...a.html.....the new number is B at the end.
Link doesn't work.

Dealer idiocy is an annoyance and not Chyslers fault. The fact it broke in 28k miles is Chysler's fault. The last guy to torque the filter housing was me, 3000 miles ago. I torqued it to spec, although I will add that I used this DIY so perhaps 18 lb-ft was too much http://wk2jeeps.com/engine/3.6L_oil_...ter_change.pdf

The dash cannot be any objects from a person. I don't carry anything in the front of my car. No pens. No change. Everything stays clutter free in my vehicles. It started rolling around about 1000 miles ago, and my car hasn't been in anyone else's hands for 8000 miles.

I am now scared that you seem adamant that the dealer will fvck up the dash if they take it apart. But then again, I don't want to take it apart. There is a chance I fcvk it up because I don't know what I am doing. I have been known to break something the first time I try it. Perhaps the dealer has done this before on wk2s?

Either way, i don't enjoy taking the little free time I have to deal with car problems. Part of the joy of mid life is when you achieve a point where you can buy new sh!t and don't have to worry about it breaking. If I have to start dealing with the JGC breaking with ANY level of frequency, it will be yesterday's news in my book.
325seeeye is offline   Reply With Quote