E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #61
m5killa

My Ride: Sperry's
It is more for aesthetic's but I need something that will hold up to weather. Puerto Rico has daily rain storms.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #62
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Ah, in that case get anything with CREE or Osram chips 5W or 10W depending on how much power you need, with an IP68 rating, and lexan polycarbonate, NOT glass.
Old 11-10-2016, 11:54 PM   #63
m5killa

My Ride: Sperry's
Are there any other "need to have" mods that you would recommend. I cant change my suspension because it wont fit into parking garages but I am open to other ideas.
Old 11-11-2016, 12:29 AM   #64
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Why is it impossible to find a Hydro Blue Peral 2015 JK Rubicon?!?!!

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 09:19 AM   #65
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by m5killa View Post
Are there any other "need to have" mods that you would recommend. I cant change my suspension because it wont fit into parking garages but I am open to other ideas.
"Need to have" mods based on wheeling or "I think this looks cool"? I ask because of your previous post and the snorkel that is altar on there.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:21 AM   #66
Serbonze
Master of his domain.

My Ride: My wife
Quote:
It is more for aesthetic's but I need something that will hold up to weather. Puerto Rico has daily rain storms.
An LED upgrade to your headlights will make a world of difference.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:24 AM   #67
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Why is it impossible to find a Hydro Blue Peral 2015 JK Rubicon?!?!!
If you want a Wrangler a certain way, 99 times out of 100 you have to factory order it. I factory ordered mine. If you're not in a rush, just do it. Bonus of having a custom window sticker with your name on it.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:25 AM   #68
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
If you have stock suspension, no, it's excellent suspension. I would do the bolt upgrade kit for piece of mind. Maybe a leveling kit to get rid of the raked look.
Old 11-11-2016, 09:27 AM   #69
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbonze View Post
An LED upgrade to your headlights will make a world of difference.
The new ones come with factory LED headlights, but I agree, the stock wrangler headlights are probably some of the worst in the industry, so upgrading them is one of the must do mods IMHO.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:33 AM   #70
-Ross-
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Jeep JK/Yamaha FZ1
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
To make a long story short, the holes on the Jeep are all 9/16th, but to save money, Chrysler is using 14mm bolts, which are ALMOST as big, but, they are a bit smaller than the holes, and are threaded all the way...so, you get two problems,

One, when they get loose, the part comes loose, and you have lots of problems, the worst being death wobble.

Two, they get loose and rasp at the hole, ovaling it out, making problems worse.

The shouldered bolts are not only tighter, but don't rasp, and even if the nut backed out, they are still tight enough to not cause catastrophic problems like death wobble. I'd had both my jeeps modded with shouldered bolts, and I've never had an issue, nor have I ever had to retorque any bolts.
What would you recommend for the bolt kit? I found these two with two very different prices.

http://www.synergymfg.com/Synergy-Su...t-p-30501.html

https://www.northridge4x4.com/part/h...8-hardware-kit

I also upgraded my tie and drag bars. The kit came with a double sided bolt to replace my lower track bar and then attach the steering stabilizer to that. It also replaced the sleeve on my stabilizer mount. I'm guessing I wouldn't need to upgrade that bolt.

This is what I got.
https://teraflex.com/shop_items/54d5...a57b6ef9ef9980

Last edited by -Ross-; 11-11-2016 at 11:36 AM.
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:40 AM   #71
NFRs2000nyc

The north ridge kit is what you want. The other kit it a waste of of money. The teraflex stuff you got is basically a waste of money and subpar to the OEM stuff. Just telling you the truth. You don't need either of those things and will probably have worse performance with them.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:48 AM   #72
Adamo99

My Ride: 2016 Wrangler 75thAE
Quote:
If you have stock suspension, no, it's excellent suspension. I would do the bolt upgrade kit for piece of mind. Maybe a leveling kit to get rid of the raked look.
I find that my shocks are complete garbage on the 75th AE. I never noticed an issue with my '14 Sahara, so maybe it's the extra weight of the steel bumpers front and rear?

Over large bumps, fully laden with passengers and cargo, something is hitting, and the shocks aren't controlling or damping any of the movement at all. Like the poster from PR, I can't change ride height, as it won't fit in my garage if I do, but I do want to get better shocks.

Are the factory Rubicon shocks any better, or should I just go with the Bilsteins?
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 11:57 AM   #73
budman
-not a mod-

My Ride: ..
Quote:
NFRs2000nyc Do you have any light bar/ cube led light recommendations. I have been poking around amazon and ebay for a solution.
Look for Inspired Engineering
Old 11-11-2016, 12:33 PM   #74
NFRs2000nyc

***The Official Jeep Thread***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
I find that my shocks are complete garbage on the 75th AE. I never noticed an issue with my '14 Sahara, so maybe it's the extra weight of the steel bumpers front and rear?

Over large bumps, fully laden with passengers and cargo, something is hitting, and the shocks aren't controlling or damping any of the movement at all. Like the poster from PR, I can't change ride height, as it won't fit in my garage if I do, but I do want to get better shocks.

Are the factory Rubicon shocks any better, or should I just go with the Bilsteins?

Factory rubicon shocks are monotube vs twintube. They are stiffer but are designed to deal better with heat (in the fluid.) they are also rated for more abuse. The ride in a wrangler is much more dependent on springs vs shocks. Bilsteins are exceptionally stiff, great for off-road but annoying for daily driving. I have a set of brand new bilsteins (came with my aev lift) that I never used and bought adjustable rancho 9000s during shocktober on Amazon. Nice and comfy and still good (not great) off-road.....but I spend most miles on the road so that's the compromise I made. Sahara springs are soft so if you load up the jeep with armor they will sag and collapse some of the coils, and when you hit bumps or whooptywhoops they will be too floaty and not feel controlled. My wrangler doesn't come close to fitting in my garage with my lift and tires, but such is life. It lives in the driveway.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-11-2016 at 12:34 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 12:35 PM   #75
Adamo99

My Ride: 2016 Wrangler 75thAE
^^ so better off replacing the springs with a set off a Rubicon/Willys then? I see take-offs all the time - just wondering if it's worth it to go aftermarket, or whether the stock Rubicon 18/60 springs and shocks will make a significant enough difference.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 01:11 PM   #76
NFRs2000nyc

10A/Hardrock springs will give you slight assistance but they are not THAT much stiffer. You can get the teraflex leveling kit (springs) which are a good deal stiffer or you can get rock crawler or aev but those are meant for heavy rigs like mine, full steel all around, big tire in the back, winch in the front, etc.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #77
-Ross-
OEM ///Member

Quote:
The north ridge kit is what you want. The other kit it a waste of of money. The teraflex stuff you got is basically a waste of money and subpar to the OEM stuff. Just telling you the truth. You don't need either of those things and will probably have worse performance with them.
Thanks. My oem tie and drag bars were toast anyway and I could hear them clunking.

Recommendations on new rear sway end links? I'm going to put the new oem's up front and ditch the aev brackets.

Also, my rear passenger end link doesn't go straight up and down like all the others. Could I flip it and bolt it in from the inside sway bar mount or vice versa? It doesn't line up correctly after the lift. All the other ones are fine.

Last edited by -Ross-; 11-11-2016 at 01:36 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 01:43 PM   #78
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ross- View Post
Thanks. My oem tie and drag bars were toast anyway and I could hear them clunking.

Recommendations on new rear sway end links? I'm going to put the new oem's up front and ditch the aev brackets.

Also, my rear passenger end link doesn't go straight up and down like all the others. Could I flip it and bolt it in from the inside sway bar mount or vice versa? It doesn't line up correctly after the lift. All the other ones are fine.

What do you mean rear endlinks, what's wrong with the ones you have now? If they are not going straight there might be other issues at hand.
Old 11-11-2016, 02:12 PM   #79
-Ross-
OEM ///Member

Quote:
What do you mean rear endlinks, what's wrong with the ones you have now? If they are not going straight there might be other issues at hand.
I read that I could just put the rear ones in the front to remove the AEV brackets. All mine are new, but I want to ditch the brackets and get another set of rears. Something like quick discos or something.

Also, should I worry about getting shouldered bolts for the lower shock mounts? I though it was pretty dumb that Jeep didn't already do this.

Last edited by -Ross-; 11-11-2016 at 02:23 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 03:18 PM   #80
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
If you want a Wrangler a certain way, 99 times out of 100 you have to factory order it. I factory ordered mine. If you're not in a rush, just do it. Bonus of having a custom window sticker with your name on it.
They don't offer any blue paint in 2017.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote