E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #21
bimmerfan08

My Ride: F
In Charleston, SC for the week. Just sunshine and warm, clear weather. No snow in sight and I prefer it that way.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:16 AM   #22
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Last night, I drove 7.5 hours in a blizzard, in the dark, with the worst all-season tires I've ever owned. Most stressful drive I've ever done. Got caught BIG time this year since I didn't get my snow tires on in time.
Yeah...we didn't get the wife's snow tires on before the snow storm on Friday. She was less than pleased. Need to do that ASAP before we get slammed again.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:58 AM   #23
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
They're attempting to make snow, we have nothing on the hills currently. See what this week will bring

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #24
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartacus View Post
Last night, I drove 7.5 hours in a blizzard, in the dark, with the worst all-season tires I've ever owned. Most stressful drive I've ever done. Got caught BIG time this year since I didn't get my snow tires on in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
I've done a blizzard drive with sh!t tires, not fun, not fun at all. Glad you made it through ok.
Two years ago drove from Southern NJ to MA in the wife's Hyundai during one of the bad blizzards we got in the Northeast while my truck sat in the driveway at home. Will be getting new wheels and tires next week for the truck, told the wife they are needed for the snow
Old 11-21-2016, 11:49 AM   #25
Act of God

My Ride: Longboard
Send a message via ICQ to Act of God Send a message via AIM to Act of God Send a message via Yahoo to Act of God
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrzmiasta View Post
my brother said 7 inches fell in nj. i really hope to test my blower i bought last winter and hadn't gotten a chance to use it. i alo hope snowboarding season will be better this year. last year it sucked.
Epic suckiness. what a waste of a season.
Old 11-21-2016, 12:15 PM   #26
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Idk what that **** is
Old 11-21-2016, 12:36 PM   #27
ed17331

My Ride: 2002 BMW 325i Sedan
Snow falls, Winter comes

Autumn leaves, Earth circles Sun

Time gone, year is done
ed17331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:10 PM   #28
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Try driving in a blizzard with a dropped e46 on almost bald all season tires. I was surprised I made it back home unscathed, lol. Although I was doing like 10-20mph the whole way.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:12 PM   #29
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorganFreeman View Post
Try driving in a blizzard with a dropped e46 on almost bald all season tires. I was surprised I made it back home unscathed, lol. Although I was doing like 10-20mph the whole way.
Try driving in a blizzard in a E46 Xi with blizzak snows. It's like you're god laughing at all the peasants spinning out.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:19 PM   #30
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Try driving in a blizzard in a E46 Xi with blizzak snows. It's like you're god laughing at all the peasants spinning out.

Is blizzaks really that great? I'ver never ran snow tires before. Might give it a try one day but it doesn't seem like the northeast will get anything significant anymore like it used to back in the '90s and early '00s.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:34 PM   #31
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Is blizzaks really that great? I'ver never ran snow tires before. Might give it a try one day but it doesn't seem like the northeast will get anything significant anymore like it used to back in the '90s and early '00s.
When I had an e46 snow tires made a huge difference, I forget what I had (not blizzaks) but they were basically the next highest rated tire and they worked wonders in the snow.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:38 PM   #32
SamDoe1

Quote:
Yes, it's a night and day difference even between snows and the highest rated A/S tires out there. If you have the cash and space to store, I'd highly recommend them on ANY car and I'm half considering getting a set for the Jeep too. The biggest difference is in stopping and turning which is what I'm most concerned about in the snow. The E46 with snows was out accelerating and out handling all the big 4x4's in the deep stuff, never got it stuck in anything within reason. You get a funny look from the bro in the lifted tahoe when your little BMW launches away from the traffic light with zero wheel spin while he's sitting there looking for traction.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 11-21-2016 at 01:44 PM.
Old 11-21-2016, 01:39 PM   #33
evolved

My Ride: 2011 BMW 335d
Quote:
I had a set on my 135i and it was a breeze driving, compared to the alternative.

Present
2014 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk V6
Past
2011 BMW 335d, 2011 BMW 135i, 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 GT, 2000 BMW 323ci, 2003 Evolution VIII, 1995 Nissan 240sx w/ SR20DET

evolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 01:59 PM   #34
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Blizzacks were put on last week. I think I got 6 years out of my previous ones, which is amazing. this is my 3rd year using the second set that I purchased.

Along with that, the car was washed, clayed, polished, sealed, and waxed, so its only a matter of time for RI to get hit with a massive snow storm. You're welcome.

Last edited by JJR4884; 11-21-2016 at 02:01 PM.
JJR4884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:13 PM   #35
Zell

My Ride: so turbo wow
Quote:
They made my E46 feel like an AWD in a blizzard.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #36
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Yes, it's a night and day difference even between snows and the highest rated A/S tires out there. If you have the cash and space to store, I'd highly recommend them on ANY car and I'm half considering getting a set for the Jeep too. The biggest difference is in stopping and turning which is what I'm most concerned about in the snow. The E46 with snows was out accelerating and out handling all the big 4x4's in the deep stuff, never got it stuck in anything within reason. You get a funny look from the bro in the lifted tahoe when your little BMW launches away from the traffic light with zero wheel spin while he's sitting there looking for traction.

Yup. The wife's Crv is unstoppable in the snow with snow tires.
Old 11-21-2016, 02:31 PM   #37
Adamo99

My Ride: 2016 Wrangler 75thAE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zell View Post
They made my E46 feel like an AWD in a blizzard.
Yep - I live where we get geniune winters, too- and have put snows on all of my BMWs (e39, e496, e93), and they were all basically unstoppable. At least until the snow got really deep.

I've got Duratracs on my Wrangler (winter rated), and don't even bother checking weather reports any more. 4WD plus the extra ground clearance makes it pretty much unstoppable.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 02:32 PM   #38
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
While this might be a very slight exaggeration, its mostly true to all of those reading this and doubting.

Regardless of tires, it is still very very easy to lose traction in the snow if given enough gas. On compacted snow, you can still accelerate normally off the line. But if you think you can accelerate aggressively in 1st or 2nd gear and not spin immediately, you are mistaken. (RWD...)

Braking and turning however, is most important. These tires are 2nd to none.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:19 PM   #39
lexpression

My Ride: '08 Audi RS4
Send a message via AIM to lexpression
Blizzaks are great. No Quattro, but I had 0 issues with them running my old M to and from the slopes:

Past: 2011 E92 M3 | 2011 Audi S4 | 2008 TT FJ Cruiser | 2007 Audi A4 | 2004 Audi S4
lexpression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:44 PM   #40
SamDoe1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJR4884 View Post
While this might be a very slight exaggeration, its mostly true to all of those reading this and doubting.

Regardless of tires, it is still very very easy to lose traction in the snow if given enough gas. On compacted snow, you can still accelerate normally off the line. But if you think you can accelerate aggressively in 1st or 2nd gear and not spin immediately, you are mistaken. (RWD...)

Braking and turning however, is most important. These tires are 2nd to none.
Launching with AWD is different than RWD. The grip in the snow with the right tires is astonishing. Also, yes, don't be an idiot but in general you can get through damn near anything until you high center the car on thick stuff that your front bumper can't plow away.