E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-21-2016, 04:47 PM   #41
JJR4884

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Launching with AWD is different than RWD. The grip in the snow with the right tires is astonishing. Also, yes, don't be an idiot but in general you can get through damn near anything until you high center the car on thick stuff that your front bumper can't plow away.
Didn't know you were talking about AWD in your original post. AWD with Blizzacks... ya.. monster in the snow.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:00 PM   #42
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Snow? What's that?

Last edited by M3Inline6; 11-21-2016 at 05:33 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:31 PM   #43
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamo99 View Post
Yep - I live where we get geniune winters, too- and have put snows on all of my BMWs (e39, e496, e93), and they were all basically unstoppable. At least until the snow got really deep.

I've got Duratracs on my Wrangler (winter rated), and don't even bother checking weather reports any more. 4WD plus the extra ground clearance makes it pretty much unstoppable.
Wrangler with duratracs you need to measure snow in feet before you need to worry about anything.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:33 PM   #44
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
I found some snow in an ashtray once. I also found a needle with heroin residue in the glove compartment of that same motor vehicle. Filling out that impound form was fun.
My wife had some snow inside her ride last year...women and their dumbassery.

Old 11-21-2016, 05:34 PM   #45
M3Inline6
aka...Dark Snow

My Ride: '17 Nardo Grey M4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
My wife had some snow inside her ride last year...women and their dumbassery.

Is that really her car? WTH? Did she just leave the doors open and waltz off with no fucks given?
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:37 PM   #46
NFRs2000nyc

The night before the storm, I told her to back the car into the driveway...would make it easier to pull out in the morning for when I have to clean the snow up....but she got home and it was late, and the CRV has factory tints in the back so she rolled the passenger window down to make sure she didn't park on the lawn, and then forgot to close the window. When I got up in the morning to clean the cars off, my brush went into the interior (was covered in snow so I couldn't tell the window was down) so I thought I broke the window....I open the door and see basically another door in front of me lol.....such anger, many yells.
Old 11-21-2016, 05:40 PM   #47
Adamo99

My Ride: 2016 Wrangler 75thAE
Quote:
The night before the storm, I told her to back the car into the driveway...would make it easier to pull out in the morning for when I have to clean the snow up....but she got home and it was late, and the CRV has factory tints in the back so she rolled the passenger window down to make sure she didn't park on the lawn, and then forgot to close the window. When I got up in the morning to clean the cars off, my brush went into the interior (was covered in snow so I couldn't tell the window was down) so I thought I broke the window....I open the door and see basically another door in front of me lol.....such anger, many yells.
Lol - that's horrible, but awesome at the same time.
Adamo99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 05:44 PM   #48
NFRs2000nyc

That's when my driveway had a 7' drift....I was already pissy, because I was freezing and exhausted, then I come up on this sh!t....luckily, it was so cold the snow stayed completely solid, so I was actually able to vacuum it all up....but still yelled a lot lol
Old 11-21-2016, 08:30 PM   #49
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Wrangler with duratracs you need to measure snow in feet before you need to worry about anything.
Bought new tires today for my Tacoma hoping for a lot of snow this year, nothing crazy just got some Hankook Dynapro ATMs, was looking at Duratracs, BFG KO2s, and few others but I don't need anything too aggressive or heavy.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:50 PM   #50
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
Bought new tires today for my Tacoma hoping for a lot of snow this year, nothing crazy just got some Hankook Dynapro ATMs, was looking at Duratracs, BFG KO2s, and few others but I don't need anything too aggressive or heavy.
They don't seem to be any different than the Duratracs or the KO2s, weight and type wise...cost about the same. Hope they serve you well.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-21-2016 at 08:51 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 08:53 PM   #51
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
3 more inches tonight into tomorrow. Should be fun.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:10 PM   #52
-Ross-
OEM ///Member

My Ride: Jeep JK/Yamaha FZ1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
3 more inches tonight into tomorrow. Should be fun.
Zing!
-Ross- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 09:55 PM   #53
Bartacus

My Ride: 2002 320i Sedan
Quote:
I've done a blizzard drive with sh!t tires, not fun, not fun at all. Glad you made it through ok.
Thanks man! I have a new respect for my little Hyundai hatchback. In rotten conditions, even with crappy tires (one of which felt wobbly), you could tell what way the thing was going to slide. Sure isn't a bimmer, but it has earned my respect.

Oh and the snow door sounded hilarious. You can't do anything BUT laugh at a situation like that.
Bartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:27 PM   #54
bgsmith

Quote:
They don't seem to be any different than the Duratracs or the KO2s, weight and type wise...cost about the same. Hope they serve you well.
It honestly came down to the KO2s and the Dynapros, the Dynapros were 14 lbs lighter and $50 cheaper per tire.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:31 PM   #55
NFRs2000nyc

KO2s are fairly heavy, but they do have their reputation for being tough. What size did you go with?
Old 11-21-2016, 10:36 PM   #56
bgsmith

Quote:
KO2s are fairly heavy, but they do have their reputation for being tough. What size did you go with?
265/75 16

Currently running 265/70 17s so I wanted to stay with the same tire dimensions.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:37 PM   #57
NFRs2000nyc

Youll have a slightly nicer ride now that you have a bit more meat, plus it will look nicer.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 11-21-2016 at 10:38 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:43 PM   #58
bgsmith

Quote:
Youll have a slightly nicer ride now that you have a bit more meat, plus it will look nicer.
Yup and I saved a couple hundred dollars.
Old 11-23-2016, 11:41 AM   #59
bgsmith

Just fluid filmed the truck, got a new frame this summer, figured I should take care of it.
Old 11-28-2016, 06:52 PM   #60
aarondb4

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330CI Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
It honestly came down to the KO2s and the Dynapros, the Dynapros were 14 lbs lighter and $50 cheaper per tire.
My dad runs those Dynapros on his Ram 2500 diesel. He likes them and with the E rating they do a decent job towing his toy hauler.

I got Nitto Ridge Grapplers installed on my Ram 2500 Mega on Friday. Went with 35x12.5 20. They look great, very smooth on the road so far and nice and quiet. Haven't had them off road or in snow or anything yet, but pretty happy so far.

Also installed new steering setup so I am working on getting the alignment dialed in now. It is solid front axle so the only thing I really changed was the toe. Trying some home brew methods to get it zeroed, if I can get it there it will save me some alignment money, think I am pretty close now.