E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-22-2016, 03:15 PM   #21
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: S2000+Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoToyo View Post
Back a while ago. Not much added on since these pics. Will be getting a steel rear bumper and sliders to replace the NFAB Steps come spring. Will just wait out winter as it continues to be cold.

Looks badass...just need to get those awesome aggressive black housing projector headlights.
Old 12-22-2016, 03:24 PM   #22
bgsmith

My Ride: No longer an e46
Quote:
Back a while ago. Not much added on since these pics. Will be getting a steel rear bumper and sliders to replace the NFAB Steps come spring. Will just wait out winter as it continues to be cold.

You upgraded from a Tacoma right? How do you like the full size?
Old 12-22-2016, 03:39 PM   #23
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
Old 12-22-2016, 05:31 PM   #24
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
^
SamDoe1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:52 PM   #25
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
If there was ever an argument to be made for sterilization lol

On the realz though, they are quite dangerous, and I never recommend them, you're much better off with a bottle jack and a scrap piece of 2x4 or the AEV jack pedestal.

Last edited by NFRs2000nyc; 12-22-2016 at 05:53 PM.
NFRs2000nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #26
IdahoToyo

My Ride: 4WD Tundra / GS500F
Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondb4 View Post
^^ Nice looking truck.

What bumper is that?
Innovative Creations Inc. The powder coating was for sh!t when I got it and started flaking/rusting after only about 6mo. I've heard they've since changed and brought it in house to control, not sure if they solve the issue. Only complaint I'd have. I went ahead and used some bedliner on it and it's held up well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Looks badass...just need to get those awesome aggressive black housing projector headlights.
Thanks as always You're telling me, planning on going w/ this guy as he's a sponsor over on the tundra forum.

http://retrofitwholesale.com/retrofit-services/

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
You upgraded from a Tacoma right? How do you like the full size?
Wouldn't look back. Every once in a while I miss my little Taco (was an 02) however after a weekend as the past -- 4 adults and a car seat all fitting comfortably, then moving the GFs stuff out and in -- I am reminded how much I love having a full size truck.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
IdahoToyo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:00 PM   #27
VaderDave
Invictus

My Ride: 330CiC ZHP
Quote:
On the realz though, they are quite dangerous, and I never recommend them, you're much better off with a bottle jack and a scrap piece of 2x4 or the AEV jack pedestal.
Why dangerous? I've used them for decades without any problems.
VaderDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 06:02 PM   #28
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Innovative Creations Inc. The powder coating was for sh!t when I got it and started flaking/rusting after only about 6mo. I've heard they've since changed and brought it in house to control, not sure if they solve the issue. Only complaint I'd have. I went ahead and used some bedliner on it and it's held up well.

Thanks as always You're telling me, planning on going w/ this guy as he's a sponsor over on the tundra forum.

http://retrofitwholesale.com/retrofit-services/

Wouldn't look back. Every once in a while I miss my little Taco (was an 02) however after a weekend as the past -- 4 adults and a car seat all fitting comfortably, then moving the GFs stuff out and in -- I am reminded how much I love having a full size truck.
I've been learning this with my parts...all my chinese stuff powdercoat has been lasting VERY well and is VERY durable after 5 years now...while the American stuff flaked off in spots and is much less resilient to damage. Now, if I can get the item in bare steel, I will, save the few extra bucks and get it professionally LINE-Xed, and not have to worry about damage or anything like that.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:05 PM   #29
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaderDave View Post
Why dangerous? I've used them for decades without any problems.
I mean obviously circumstances different, but for the casual offroader that is on uneven, unstable ground, with not a lot of experience with hi lifts, the situation can turn ugly, real quick. Generally speaking, they are rarely needed out in the bush and are almost never superior to a bottle jack or even a factory scissor jack with a stand, but, IF you know how to use one, there are SOME things you can do with a hilift that you just can't do with any other type of jack.
Old 12-22-2016, 06:07 PM   #30
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
I mean obviously circumstances different, but for the casual offroader that is on uneven, unstable ground, with not a lot of experience with hi lifts, the situation can turn ugly, real quick. Generally speaking, they are rarely needed out in the bush and are almost never superior to a bottle jack or even a factory scissor jack with a stand, but, IF you know how to use one, there are SOME things you can do with a hilift that you just can't do with any other type of jack.
Ah, okay. I was worried that there was something inherently dangerous about them that I wasn't aware of. I agree that they could probably be really dangerous if one didn't know what he was doing (like a lot of things).
Old 12-22-2016, 08:19 PM   #31
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Ah, okay. I was worried that there was something inherently dangerous about them that I wasn't aware of. I agree that they could probably be really dangerous if one didn't know what he was doing (like a lot of things).
Well, the main issue is stability. They are EXTREMELY easy to unbalance. You can throw a stick at them and unbalance them on dirt. Also, many vehicles don't have a sufficient jacking point, so you can not only slip from the makeshift point, but also poke a hole in the metal, or worse, have it poke through while you're under it. I've seen them fall over when someone walked by, moved a few baseball sized rocks, the neighboring rocks shifted and the jack slid out, dropping the Jeep....luckily the guy was only changing a tire, if he was under there changing a driveshaft he would have cracked ribs at best and dead at worst.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:21 PM   #32
VaderDave
Invictus

Quote:
Well, the main issue is stability. They are EXTREMELY easy to unbalance. You can throw a stick at them and unbalance them on dirt. Also, many vehicles don't have a sufficient jacking point, so you can not only slip from the makeshift point, but also poke a hole in the metal, or worse, have it poke through while you're under it. I've seen them fall over when someone walked by, moved a few baseball sized rocks, the neighboring rocks shifted and the jack slid out, dropping the Jeep....luckily the guy was only changing a tire, if he was under there changing a driveshaft he would have cracked ribs at best and dead at worst.
Hm. I have typically only used mine for vehicle recovery. I have never tried to use it as a jackstand or for repairs. I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to the safety of my precious self.

Last edited by VaderDave; 12-22-2016 at 08:24 PM.
Old 12-22-2016, 09:06 PM   #33
NFRs2000nyc

Quote:
Hm. I have typically only used mine for vehicle recovery. I have never tried to use it as a jackstand or for repairs. I'm pretty paranoid when it comes to the safety of my precious self.
Well, like I said in my first post, using a hilift as a come-along is something that you can't do with any other jack, and if that's all the recovery gear you have, it can save your ass for sure. Generally speaking though, in my personal opinion, if you're going out in the bush where getting stuck is a possibility, you really should just have a quality winch. I only take my hilift on my trips for insurance, in case the winch fails (Im paranoid since I'm with the wife and want redundancy for everything) but the chances of that happening (with a quality winch) are slim. Having said that, Generally speaking, if someone asks my advice for recovery gear, I always recommend a set (or 2) of maxtrax (the real ones, not the bvllsh!t knockoffs) https://us.maxtrax.com.au/

and then a quality winch with synthetic rope, then a bungee rope, then a tow strap. Then a camping trip to learn how to use it all.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:14 AM   #34
bgsmith

Decided on this rear bumper, will be ordering it in the next couple of weeks.

https://bluelineeo.com/collections/b...y-bumper-black

Last edited by bgsmith; 01-16-2017 at 11:15 AM.
bgsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #35
IdahoToyo

I think I'll be going w/ a Fab Four rear bumper for the Tundra as well come spring time. Have heard all good things about people who have gone through them.

The difference between school and life? In school, you're taught a lesson and then given a test. In life, you're given a test that teaches you a lesson.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:16 PM   #36
bgsmith

Quote:
I think I'll be going w/ a Fab Four rear bumper for the Tundra as well come spring time. Have heard all good things about people who have gone through them.

Yeah I had never heard of them before, was looking for a bumper I could use my factory hitch with since I just replaced that and can across them, all the info I can find on them seems to be good.
Old 01-17-2017, 03:58 PM   #37
NFRs2000nyc

Do they offer an option for light cutouts? It's really helpful to have some bright lights hooked up back there. On my next Jeep I will definitely havea set of rigid dually's back there, for various purposes.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:24 PM   #38
IdahoToyo

Quote:
Do they offer an option for light cutouts? It's really helpful to have some bright lights hooked up back there. On my next Jeep I will definitely havea set of rigid dually's back there, for various purposes.
I've heard of others having luck making such requests through ordering, I'm going to ask for cutouts for that exact set when I make my order.

Old 01-27-2017, 12:31 PM   #39
bgsmith

Ordered my bumper yesterday, once it is installed and I can see how the rear sits I am going to order my lift, leaning more towards a 3 leaf progressive AAL in the rear now.
Old 01-27-2017, 01:03 PM   #40
IdahoToyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgsmith View Post
order my lift, leaning more towards a 3 leaf progressive AAL in the rear now.
Order once. Had full OME on my Tacoma and now the Tundra. The company also includes a bag of candy when you order!

https://wheelersoffroad.com/product-...an-emu-244881/