Need recommendations for a new phone. - Page 2 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 12:04 PM   #21
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Here's the bottom line: If you upgrade your Verizon plan from the old subsidy/contract model to the new financing/no contract model, the money you'll save will be enough to offset the additional cost of a Pixel (even without a promo deal).

The device access fee goes from $40/month to $20/month. Over 24months that's $480. Add in the $200 you want to spend on a phone, that's now $680. Now add in cheaper data prices today than they were back when subsidies were still offered to new customers. Then add in the fact that the phone pricing is transparent, and you aren't wasting money if you don't use an upgrade immediately (thus continuing to pay off a phone that's already been paid off).

There's no sense in cheaping out on a phone so you can overpay for service. Get a better phone and cheaper service.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:09 PM   #22
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
While 6p is a good phone and maybe he could be swayed... But doesn't quite fit his criteria
The 6P is a stretch for him as it will cost more than $200 even used. The 5X is right in the wheelhouse though. It doesn't have any of his "would be a plus" features but, to be honest, not many out there will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
+2

That, or grab a Samsung from Costco.

There are 2 variants from $199 - $299 the stores around here have.
Samsung blows. I'd pay extra money every day and twice on Sunday to not have a Samsung phone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
As a former Nexus 5X user, I can't give it a strong recommendation. It's slow, and very annoying at times. On the other hand, buying an old Samsung is probably the worst thing you can do.
While it's slow, it's also cheap which is what he's going for. The cherry on top is that it does run stock Android and not whatever garbage skin most cheap phones have on them.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:12 PM   #23
jeffro3000

Quote:
Cost of a phone on contract is irrelevant.
The cost of anything is never irrelevant. You're paying for the phone no matter how you buy it. There's no free lunch.
Quote:
OP could get the latest / greatest phone if that's what he meant by spending $200.
OP doesn't have an 'upgrade' available.
Quote:
What happens when you drop your Pixel and shatter the screen a week / month later?
https://store.google.com/magazine/device_protection
Old 01-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #24
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Ok, iPhone 4s....

Let the thread continue?

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:24 PM   #25
boostedisbetter

My Ride: eIght tHoSnd 200!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
iPhone 3g

/ thread.
Nokia 3390 has better battery life.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #26
boostedisbetter

Remember when cell phones were subsidized? sigh... Those were the days.

"oh we drop your cell phone bill to make up for that"

Old 01-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #27
taxi_driver

My Ride: has a meter in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedisbetter View Post

x2; though T-mobile is offering $325 back in monthly credits if you bring a pixel over to them which is still very appealing. wish more carriers offered promos like this.

Currently Driving:
2017 Volvo S60
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:45 PM   #28
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Samsung blows. I'd pay extra money every day and twice on Sunday to not have a Samsung phone.
Its not a clean version of android, which I can see being irritating coming from a Nexus. Hard to beat the features / price point of the Costco phones though.

Quote:
The cost of anything is never irrelevant. You're paying for the phone no matter how you buy it. There's no free lunch.

OP doesn't have an 'upgrade' available.

https://store.google.com/magazine/device_protection

That's exactly my point.
You'd actually be paying a total of $700-800 for the pixel, plus another $150 for coverage. How is that good value?

I can happily chuck my Nexus 5 at the ground and sleep well knowing $100 gets me another one, or I can fix it for $30. Try that with a pixel or any new samsung.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:49 PM   #29
jeffro3000

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi_driver View Post
x2
Except they do drop your bill

20*24+200 =680 over two years, AKA your bill goes down by almost exactly the cost of the Pixel or iPhone that's now being financed or bought separately, except now there's no two year contract.

So, if you're financing it at $27/month, once it's paid off your bill drops by a total of $47/month vs the old subsidy plans (20/month device access + 27/month phone payment, assuming you're still paying the same amount for data.)

Arithmetic, bro.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:52 PM   #30
jeffro3000

Quote:
Its not a clean version of android, which I can see being irritating coming from a Nexus. Hard to beat the features / price point of the Costco phones though.

That's exactly my point.
You'd actually be paying a total of $700-800 for the pixel, plus another $150 for coverage. How is that good value?

I can happily chuck my Nexus 5 at the ground and sleep well knowing $100 gets me another one, or I can fix it for $30. Try that with a pixel or any new samsung.
Oh, I thought you meant vs. a subsidized Verizon phone, which would have been no different. Yea, old phones are cheaper than new phones. It's a tradeoff.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:46 PM   #31
SamDoe1

Quote:

Uhh, do the math...it makes sense to not subsidize your phone, just buy outright, and take the lower phone bill to make up for it.

Quote:
Sure but I'd rather give up internal storage and a replaceable battery (neither of which I used when I had a Samsung) in order to avoid that craptastic software they included.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:37 PM   #32
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Except they do drop your bill

20*24+200 =680 over two years, AKA your bill goes down by almost exactly the cost of the Pixel or iPhone that's now being financed or bought separately, except now there's no two year contract.

So, if you're financing it at $27/month, once it's paid off your bill drops by a total of $47/month vs the old subsidy plans (20/month device access + 27/month phone payment, assuming you're still paying the same amount for data.)

Arithmetic, bro.
Okay, maybe I'm not being clear...

To make it simple, let's say I paid $300 for my sub'd 6p and the plan was $70/mo. Well, now that I am due for an upgrade, they want to switch my plan to the new plan, which raises my rate to $70/mo plus the $20/month for the phone.

My point is, when you talk about a grandfathered-in people, it fvcks us. I used to be able to keep my same plan rate, buy the sub'd phone for $300, keep it, and sell my old phone for $300 which leaves me with a truely free upgrade. Now they force you to drop your old cheaper plan, and charge you for a full phone price while hitting with a more expensive plan. Sure the plan is cheaper than what is offered NOW, but not what I have been grandfathered in the past 5 years.

It's all a fvcking shakedown, do you really think the cell companies are offering you a BETTER deal?? Come on... They love finding new ways to suck another dollar out of you
Old 01-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #33
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Agree. I went from sub'd ATT plan to a non sub'd ATT plan, prices didn't drop much.

Now i'm with Verizon on a sub'd business plan and my rates are lower than that of the non sub'd ATT plan. I much prefer the 2 year contract and a $200 phone every 2 years while paying the same or lower than people paying the same rate and full price for the phones.

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:51 PM   #34
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
I much prefer the 2 year contract and a $200 phone every 2 years while paying the same or lower than people paying the same rate and full price for the phones.
...It's pretty much the only reason I'm keeping my 6+, I would have went to a pixel if they still sub'd and I could keep my current plan.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:52 PM   #35
Brucifer325

My Ride: 2007 Ford Edge

"Love Us with Money, or We'll Hate you with Hammers!" - Milk & Cheese
BMWCCA# 147961
Brucifer325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:58 PM   #36
SamDoe1

Quote:
Okay, maybe I'm not being clear...

To make it simple, let's say I paid $300 for my sub'd 6p and the plan was $70/mo. Well, now that I am due for an upgrade, they want to switch my plan to the new plan, which raises my rate to $70/mo plus the $20/month for the phone.
For me, it made all the sense in the world. With my old plan (family plan) we paid ~$55 per person with the sub'd plan for some irrelevant number of minutes, 2gb data, and unlimited text. With the new non-sub'd plan, the cost per month is ~$35 per person with unlimited (still irrelevant) minutes, text, and 3gb of data.

So to do the math, I save $200 for the phone plus $20/mo for 24 months which is $680 which is the cost of the phone to begin with. Since I bought a Nexus 6P for $500 I'm actually saving $180 over two years doing this. The next benefit is that I can then keep my phone (which I have been doing) for a third year and save even more money per month. I plan on buying my next phone outright and just saving the monthly fee anyway.

For you being grandfathered in, I'd see if they have a better deal for less money on a non-sub'd plan. I'd be surprised if they didn't. Either that or switch providers as it's a hot market now to offer the best deal.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:01 PM   #37
boostedisbetter

Quote:
For you being grandfathered in, I'd see if they have a better deal for less money on a non-sub'd plan. I'd be surprised if they didn't. Either that or switch providers as it's a hot market now to offer the best deal.
Yeah, I completely see the deal for people that are new and on a family plan, but being a single line account holder, I would be spending close to $20 more a month for any of the plans.

Also... You have a family plan with only 2GB!? Damn sam, you must be on that wifi 24/7! I use close to 10gb/mo
Old 01-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #38
SamDoe1

Quote:
Yeah, I completely see the deal for people that are new and on a family plan, but being a single line account holder, I would be spending close to $20 more a month for any of the plans.

Also... You have a family plan with only 2GB!? Damn sam, you must be on that wifi 24/7! I use close to 10gb/mo
We have 15gb total for 5 people. My mom uses next to nothing as does my sister since they both get free wifi throughout most of their commute and work day. I use ~2.5ish gb as does the wife and my brother. We all use wifi as much as possible.

I don't even understand how people use so much damn data and then complain that their bill is expensive.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:08 PM   #39
boostedisbetter

Quote:
I don't even understand how people use so much damn data and then complain that their bill is expensive.
I don't get on the wifi at my work... Too many noodz.

I'm not here to complain about my cell bill, I'm just saying the fact they stopped the sub'd phones makes me not want to get another plan/phone. My cell bill is the least of my worries... fvcking student loans

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 01-04-2017 at 03:08 PM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:12 PM   #40
SamDoe1

Quote:
I don't get on the wifi at my work... Too many noodz.

I'm not here to complain about my cell bill, I'm just saying the fact they stopped the sub'd phones makes me not want to get another plan/phone. My cell bill is the least of my worries... fvcking student loans
I'm not on wifi at work either but I'm actually working...or on OT...more of the latter.

I hear you on the student loans though. I paid off 3 of mine this year, one more left to go then I'm free.