E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 02:16 PM   #41
boostedisbetter

My Ride: 2008 S2000, 2009 CBR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post

I hear you on the student loans though. I paid off 3 of mine this year, one more left to go then I'm free.
Congrats, I still have the equivilent of a 2017 base model 328i to pay off.

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 01-04-2017 at 02:16 PM.
boostedisbetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:17 PM   #42
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedisbetter View Post
Yeah, I completely see the deal for people that are new and on a family plan, but being a single line account holder, I would be spending close to $20 more a month for any of the plans.

Also... You have a family plan with only 2GB!? Damn sam, you must be on that wifi 24/7! I use close to 10gb/mo
We have 12 lines being used. 35gb data, unlimited calls-longdistanc, etc... $437/ month. Every line gets a new upgraded phone for $200 every 2 years. (bunch of old people who don't interweb on their phones)

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:19 PM   #43
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
We have 12 lines being used. 35gb data, unlimited calls-longdistanc, etc... $437/ month. Every line gets a new upgraded phone for $200 every 2 years. (bunch of old people who don't interweb on their phones)
Guessing this is your business plan?

Damn, $36/line, that's cheap. I need to group my whole family together and start racking up lines lol
Old 01-04-2017, 02:29 PM   #44
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Congrats, I still have the equivilent of a 2017 base model 328i to pay off.
Damn dude, how long ago did you graduate and what expensive private school did you go to? I have the equivalent of a 2017 Civic LX left to pay off.

Quote:
Guessing this is your business plan?

Damn, $36/line, that's cheap. I need to group my whole family together and start racking up lines lol
Family plan is seriously the best way to do it.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-04-2017 at 02:29 PM.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:40 PM   #45
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Damn dude, how long ago did you graduate and what expensive private school did you go to? I have the equivalent of a 2017 Civic LX left to pay off.
I only went to my university for 2.5 years. I went to a CC for the first 2. I paid off my CC while I worked. My parents were poor, they couldn't help and I didn't have any bright futures(scholarship in FL) because I moved to FL my Senior year of HS. My University was about 15k a year because I didn't work during those years to focus on studying, so I had to take extra out to live.

Again, not complaining, I only have the job I have because of the degree. Completely worth it.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:41 PM   #46
SamDoe1

Quote:
I only went to my university for 2.5 years. I went to a CC for the first 2. I paid off my CC while I worked. My parents were poor, they couldn't help and I didn't have any bright futures(scholarship in FL) because I moved to FL my Senior year of HS. My University was about 15k a year because I didn't work during those years to focus on studying, so I had to take extra out to live.

Again, not complaining, I only have the job I have because of the degree. Completely worth it.
I was in the same boat though I did university the whole time. Good for you for getting it done. It is absolutely worth it in the end.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:45 PM   #47
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
My point is, when you talk about a grandfathered-in people, it fvcks us.
Ahh ok I see. Yea for old plans like Verizon's $30 unlimited data, AT&T's equivalent, or T-Mo's $70 unlimited everything back in the day, there's nothing around today that matches those. I was talking about the current no-contract plans vs the contract plans immediately preceding them with similar data buckets and everything. For those, the subsidies were a worse deal.

I mainly like the freedom to buy phones from anywhere, stick my SIM card in, and not be penalized for not buying it from the carrier. Also freedom to switch carriers when I move to get a better signal has been handy.

With my plan, I have a Pixel and Pixel XL (both from the Google store), a cheap hotspot I got off Amazon, and 16GB shared data plan, all for $118 with an employer discount. $20 for each phone, $10 for hotspot, $60 for data, + tax.

I've switched plans and carriers several times since my old unlimited data plan on Verizon. I don't miss it though. I like the new system of one phone model being able to work on all carriers and being able to come and go as I please. Plus, tethering is included now, which was $20/month extra back then I think.
Quote:
It's all a fvcking shakedown, do you really think the cell companies are offering you a BETTER deal?? Come on... They love finding new ways to suck another dollar out of you
Sometimes they have to offer a better deal because of competitive pressure. T-Mo started the whole no contract thing a few years ago when they started separating the cost of the service and the phone, being more transparent about things. AT&T responded with their own version of the same thing, then Verizon had no choice but to do it also. You can bet they didn't want to give up those 2-year contracts. Those things were a goldmine. You get someone who wants to save money by not upgrading at the end of the contract, but they still keep paying the access fee, and thus phone payment regardless. Like making car payments another year after it's paid off. It's free money for the carrier at that point. Plus, being able to lock people in for at least 24 months of payments... cha ching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
They must be cutting you a deal on the line access for the business plan. The subsidized plans they used to have would be $480/month in line access charges alone for 12 lines, without any data or tax added in at all.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 01-04-2017 at 02:46 PM.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #48
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
You can bet they didn't want to give up those 2-year contracts. Those things were a goldmine. You get someone who wants to save money by not upgrading at the end of the contract, but they still keep paying the access fee, and thus phone payment regardless. Like making car payments another year after it's paid off. It's free money for the carrier at that point. Plus, being able to lock people in for at least 24 months of payments... cha ching.
That's a very good point.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #49
VTRweasel

My Ride: 03' 330i & 16' FZ-09
Project fi
Nexus 5X for a year now with no complaints. I'll probably get a Pixel when they come down but I hate large phones.
$30 bux a month

I was paying $120 with Verizon and they're a PITA
Old 01-04-2017, 03:10 PM   #50
jeffro3000

Another problem with the subsidized plans is that when the deal comes along that you can get a Pixel or iPhone 7 for only $10/month instead of $27, you're SOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRweasel View Post
Project fi
Nexus 5X for a year now with no complaints. I'll probably get a Pixel when they come down but I hate large phones.
$30 bux a month

Project Fi is easily the best deal around if you use very little data. The more you use, the worse of a deal it becomes since it's flat rate $10/gig.

BTW, the Pixel is smaller than the 5X. Even the Pixel XL hardly feels any bigger than the 5X.

Last edited by jeffro3000; 01-04-2017 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:20 PM   #51
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRweasel View Post
Project fi
$30 bux a month

how much data do you use.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:27 PM   #52
jeffro3000

Quote:
how much data do you use.
Based on his bill, 1 gig. It's 20/month flat rate + 10/gig prorated.

15/month flat rate on their newer family plans I think.

I set my uncle up with it last year and his bill is maybe <$25/month. Dirt cheap, he uses hardly any data.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #53
SamDoe1

I'd do project fi if I wasn't already on a family plan and if it didn't have the sh1t coverage that comes with tmobile and sprint.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #54
Show me

My Ride: 330 Vert
Quote:
To make it simple, let's say I paid $300 for my sub'd 6p and the plan was $70/mo. Well, now that I am due for an upgrade, they want to switch my plan to the new plan, which raises my rate to $70/mo plus the $20/month for the phone.
Not picking on you - just quoting because this was the most succinct example.

The thing is - nothing changed in the price if you keep getting new phones. All they did was take the $70 a month in the above, reduce the fee to $50 a month for access and service, then charge you $20 a month for the phone. Still $70 a month, only now they tell you that the other $20 of your fee is for the phone instead of hiding it. Again, this is IF you keep getting new phones. Also, I'm speaking from the Verizon customer prospective. On Verizon, if you keep your phone long enough, you can actually get your access rate down to $20 a month, before you add your data plan.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:38 PM   #55
boostedisbetter

Okay so project fi is pretty cool.... I've never even heard of it.

But looks like you can't use iPhone with it?
Old 01-04-2017, 03:40 PM   #56
SamDoe1

Quote:

It's Nexus 5X/6P or Pixel/XL only. Google made phones only, no others even if they run Android.

Last edited by SamDoe1; 01-04-2017 at 03:41 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:42 PM   #57
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show me View Post
Not picking on you - just quoting because this was the most succinct example.

The thing is - nothing changed in the price if you keep getting new phones. All they did was take the $70 a month in the above, reduce the fee to $50 a month for access and service, then charge you $20 a month for the phone. Still $70 a month, only now they tell you that the other $20 of your fee is for the phone instead of hiding it. Again, this is IF you keep getting new phones. Also, I'm speaking from the Verizon customer prospective. On Verizon, if you keep your phone long enough, you can actually get your access rate down to $20 a month, before you add your data plan.
I think what he's saying is that he's on an old enough, single-line plan where moving to a newer sharable data plan (for just one person) actually increases the service cost, like back when AT&T and Verizon used to offer unlimited data for example.

For the more recent subsidy plans, what you're saying is true. All they did was separate the cost of the plan and phone, and kill the contract, allowing more flexibility at slightly decreased costs. If I had held onto my old $30 unlimited data Verizon plan, it would be a downgrade to anything else today, from a purely dollar per gig standpoint. New plans today do throw in more features though.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:49 PM   #58
jeffro3000

Quote:

Where have you been?

The app, billing, service, roaming, support, everything, are all top notch. The only problem is $10/gig gets real expensive for heavy users. And yea, the supported phones are as follows:

-Nexus 6
-Nexus 5X/6P
-Pixel/Pixel XL
Old 01-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #59
boostedisbetter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
Where have you been?

The app, billing, service, roaming, support, everything, are all top notch. The only problem is $10/gig gets real expensive for heavy users. And yea, the supported phones are as follows:

-Nexus 6
-Nexus 5X/6P
-Pixel/Pixel XL
What am I doing with my life.

I need a pixel XL

Time to jump on the project fi train. I can probably get a cheaper plan from them WITH the new pixel monthly rate...

thanks guys!

Also... fvck Apple. I'm sick of their sh*t

Last edited by boostedisbetter; 01-04-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:55 PM   #60
SamDoe1

Quote:
What am I doing with my life.

I need a pixel XL

Time to jump on the project fi train.

thanks guys!
You're going to get raped on monthly fees if you use 10gb a month, you'd be looking at ~$120 a month plus fees and taxes.