Need recommendations for a new phone. - Page 4 - E46Fanatics E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 04:57 PM   #61
boostedisbetter

My Ride: eIght tHoSnd 200!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
You're going to get raped on monthly fees if you use 10gb a month, you'd be looking at ~$120 a month plus fees and taxes.
So i just looked and I've only used 1.96gb after 15 days... I guess I haven't checked that in a while...
Old 01-04-2017, 05:05 PM   #62
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedisbetter View Post
So i just looked and I've only used 1.96gb after 15 days... I guess I haven't checked that in a while...
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:11 PM   #63
Show me

My Ride: 330 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
I think what he's saying is that he's on an old enough, single-line plan where moving to a newer sharable data plan (for just one person) actually increases the service cost, like back when AT&T and Verizon used to offer unlimited data for example.
I totally understood what he was saying. Gosh, how could I have conveyed my point in the statements I made? I wonder if I did?

Oh, yep! There's qualifiers in my statement!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Show me View Post
Not picking on you - just quoting because this was the most succinct example.

The thing is - nothing changed in the price if you keep getting new phones. All they did was take the $70 a month in the above, reduce the fee to $50 a month for access and service, then charge you $20 a month for the phone. Still $70 a month, only now they tell you that the other $20 of your fee is for the phone instead of hiding it. Again, this is IF you keep getting new phones. Also, I'm speaking from the Verizon customer prospective. On Verizon, if you keep your phone long enough, you can actually get your access rate down to $20 a month, before you add your data plan.
My statements weren't about him keeping a throttled plan that was around a decade ago. If he had been changing phones as long as the subsidized plans were working, he'd be seeing the scenario I listed. I dumped my "unlimited" data plan long ago, once I realized how little I actually used, and was faced with using a shlt phone, or paying $700 up front for a new one. It still cost me $700 for that new phone, but in convenient monthly installments. Now, those installments are broken out, instead of hidden. That was the point.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:47 AM   #64
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
What was the consensus for OP? I'm in the same boat, S6 Active has a shattered digitizer and I'm about halfway through my two year contract with ATT. They said I can buy out my contract for $200 and get on a 2 yr contract plus the subsidized cost of a new phone. I was quoted $300+ for the screen replacement. I'm using my HTC M7 with a broken screen.

Sent from my HTC One using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 01-05-2017, 09:38 AM   #65
boostedisbetter

My Ride: eIght tHoSnd 200!!!!
Quote:
I've been busy, leave me alone

I remember going over my data a few months ago, so I bumped it from 5 to 10gb and hadn't checked again since... All I know is, that overage fee really sucked lol
Old 01-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #66
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
What was the consensus for OP? I'm in the same boat, S6 Active has a shattered digitizer and I'm about halfway through my two year contract with ATT. They said I can buy out my contract for $200 and get on a 2 yr contract plus the subsidized cost of a new phone. I was quoted $300+ for the screen replacement. I'm using my HTC M7 with a broken screen.

Ditch AT&T, switch to T-Mo, they'll pay out the rest of your contract, they'll pay for half a Pixel, you'll be off contracts and can buy a new phone whenever the hell you want.

It pays to switch carriers right now. All kinds of deals. Gotta get off those silly contracts though.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:56 AM   #67
BreakfastBurrito

Hm I'll have to look into it. Can i keep the same number? How is coverage with t-mob? I've had the same number since 1999 when it was Cingular. I have a $30 unlimited data which is kind of BS because they throttle it after 2gigs.

Old 01-05-2017, 10:54 AM   #68
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostedisbetter View Post
What am I doing with my life.

I need a pixel XL

Time to jump on the project fi train. I can probably get a cheaper plan from them WITH the new pixel monthly rate...

thanks guys!

Also... fvck Apple. I'm sick of their sh*t
OMG!! You guys got one to convert!

Now you need to up your efforts and be sure to forward your newest member the Android apologetics hand book so you can continue to spread the good news!

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:56 AM   #69
SamDoe1

Quote:
Hm I'll have to look into it. Can i keep the same number? How is coverage with t-mob? I've had the same number since 1999 when it was Cingular. I have a $30 unlimited data which is kind of BS because they throttle it after 2gigs.

Yes you can keep it, no the coverage isn't as good.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:07 AM   #70
jeffro3000

Quote:
Hm I'll have to look into it. Can i keep the same number?
Yes.

Quote:
I have a $30 unlimited data which is kind of BS because they throttle it after 2gigs.
I think T-Mo's current unlimited plan says that they "can" throttle you after 26 gigs (depending on traffic).

They've made some people angry recently with their new unlimited plans though, because tethering is now an extra fee, and streaming video above 480p is an extra fee.

You still have access to their older 3/6/10gb and more expensive unlimited plans though that have no strings attached, which is probably what I'm going to switch back to soon from VZW.

Quote:
How is coverage with t-mob?
It's actually really good now, almost as much as AT&T. The last few years they've been spending a ton of money on expanding coverage and buying new spectrum. Unless you live on a farm in the countryside, you probably won't notice a difference. In fact, densely populated areas are where T-Mobile is often the best due to less congestion and their high frequency spectrum.

You can check the coverage map on their website to be sure. Also, see if you live in an area where they've rolled out their newer band 12 LTE (same low frequency block Verizon uses to cover large areas.)
Old 01-05-2017, 11:08 AM   #71
jeffro3000

Quote:
Yes you can keep it, no the coverage isn't as good.
When was the last time you were on T-mo?

They cover 98% as many people as Verizon now. Basically everyone but the farmers and meth labs.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:17 AM   #72
SLVR JDM

My Ride: E39 M5
Quote:

They cover 98% as many people as Verizon now. Basically everyone but the farmers and meth labs.
That's probably why I've been impressed with Project Fi. T-MO is strong in metro areas, Sprint covers rural pretty well (at least for my needs). I've had a few calls drop here and there but as long as you're aware of your data usage it is really a fantastic plan.

I've had Fi for about 14 months and haven't had a bill over $35. Granted, I use Wifi for browsing while at home / office, but why would I use LTE for that anyway?
Old 01-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #73
SuperFan86

My Ride: '14 Jeep GC
Project Fi user here. It was a lifesaver in Europe, but here in SC the service is spotty at times.

A coworker of mine just swapped from Fi to the Walmart Verizon prepaid plan. 7 gigs of data and unlimited talk/text for $50 a month. So far he is happier with it and the speeds are great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIFFIN
I was stayign at this one girls ass for what felt like 5 mins. My gil sadi what the fvck are you looking at. I said just thnking about how beautiful she was goign to look in her wedding dress. Road head for the win.
SuperFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #74
VTRweasel

My Ride: 03' 330i & 16' FZ-09
Quote:
Based on his bill, 1 gig. It's 20/month flat rate + 10/gig prorated.

15/month flat rate on their newer family plans I think.

I set my uncle up with it last year and his bill is maybe <$25/month. Dirt cheap, he uses hardly any data.
Thanks for the Pixel info. I don't wanna go bigger than the 5X

The fi plan is unlimited calls and texts with 3gigs for $50 a month. If you use lest than the 3 you get charged less. It's 10 bux per gig after that. So right now I average $30 a month.

I use wifi at home and in the office so I rarely use more that 2gigs

Last edited by VTRweasel; 01-05-2017 at 01:13 PM.
VTRweasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #75
kuksul08

My Ride: M3
My phone broke about 3 weeks ago and I needed something quick. I went with the Galaxy S7. Verizon was/is doing promotions on it, including a Gear VR headset, a Best Buy gift card, and charging $99 for the phone. You could sell the VR headset and use the gift card. All in all I think the phone was only about $250.

It's pretty awesome. The camera continually blows me away with how good it is. The screen resolution is good too. Anyway that's my recommendation.

Look at that subtle jet-black coloring. The tasteful thickness of it. Oh my God, it even has a 6mt.
S54 Valve Adjustment Spreadsheet & Info: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28231781/S54...ent%20info.zip
S54 VANOS DIY Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SkT2j3jsU0
kuksul08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 01:30 PM   #76
SamDoe1

Quote:

Coverage is one thing but at what speed? Will you get LTE in all the same areas and is it as reliable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTRweasel View Post
Thanks for the Pixel info. I don't wanna go bigger than the 5X

The fi plan is unlimited calls and texts with 3gigs for $50 a month. If you use lest than the 3 you get charged less. It's 10 bux per gig after that. So right now I average $30 a month.

I use wifi at home and in the office so I rarely use more that 2gigs
There is a smaller Pixel that is the same size as the 5X, you know this right? The bigger one is the Pixel XL which is actually smaller than the 6P which I use daily without any issues and it fits in my pockets just fine.

The Fi plan is $10/gb with a refund of what you don't use regardless of if you sign up for 1gb or 100gb. It really doesn't make a difference other than having to owe more month to month regardless of if you go over or under the allotted data.
Old 01-05-2017, 01:51 PM   #77
GhostFlame

My Ride: E46 Sedan
Quote:

You can purchase just the digitizer on Fleabay for about $30, and replace it yourself.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:03 PM   #78
VTRweasel

Quote:
There is a smaller Pixel that is the same size as the 5X, you know this right?
Yeah, just saw that and I'm checkin' it out. My 5X is still working out just fine though.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:07 PM   #79
BreakfastBurrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostFlame View Post
You can purchase just the digitizer on Fleabay for about $30, and replace it yourself.
$200+ for a digitzer

Old 01-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #80
VTRweasel

Quote:
$200+ for a digitzer

Amazon 158 but that's still nutz. Must be the curved screen. My friend did my HTC One for 35.

Last edited by VTRweasel; 01-05-2017 at 02:34 PM.
VTRweasel is offline   Reply With Quote