E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #81
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
I have an S6 Active.

https://www.amazon.com/display-Digit.../dp/B019GPYOWO

http://m.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Grade-Sams...%257Ciid%253A2

Sent from my HTC One using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 01-05-2017, 02:09 PM   #82
jeffro3000

My Ride: 2000 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Coverage is one thing but at what speed? Will you get LTE in all the same areas and is it as reliable?
The last opensignal report put Tmobile and Verizon at tie for average speed.
jeffro3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:21 PM   #83
wallaby13

My Ride: 330i 5MT
The HTC one M8 is another option for you. On paper it's not as good as the previously mentioned Nexus 5X. However it does have an microSD slot for you.

I like that the body is metal giving it a nicer feel than a plastic phone. It does come heavily bloated with HTC's own stuff, and the brightness sucks. It doesn't dim nearly enough for using at night, and it doesn't get nearly bright enough to use at the beach. I've been using it for ~2 years. The camera is only 4 or 5 MP but it's surprisingly good for the size, it's far better than the Iphone 5s camera @ 8 MP.

I too wanted expandable memory, and removable battery. I gave up the removable battery but quick charge helps ease some of that pain.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:56 PM   #84
SamDoe1

My Ride: 4cyl of fury
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
The last opensignal report put Tmobile and Verizon at tie for average speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallaby13 View Post
I gave up the removable battery but quick charge helps ease some of that pain.
This. The 5X/6P charge at 3.1A over USB-C vs micro-USB at 2.4A and that makes a huge difference. I can go from 20% battery to 80% in about 20 minutes.
SamDoe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 09:55 AM   #85
SPDSKTR

My Ride: E46 ZHP TS2+ Coupe
After getting caught up on this thread, I should have clarified: I do have an upgrade available on my line. However, if I use it, I lose my 100 GB data plan. I was grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data plan by not using an upgrade, but when they downgraded me to the 100 GB limit, I've still been okay. I typically use upwards of 20 to 30 GB a month. Srs.

So far, I'm leaning towards the G3 or 5x. Both are similar in pricing on eBay ($125 to $150 for a used/refurbished 5x, $150 for a brand new G3, and $100 for a used/refurbished G3).

Reasons for G3:
  • Removable battery. 3000 mAh is a huge plus.
  • Micro-SD slot.
  • Infrared blaster.
  • Slightly larger screen size.

Reasons for 5x:
  • Despite a 10% smaller battery than the G3, battery life is relatively comparable.
  • LTE-A. And my city supports it.
  • Already comes with Nougat (which I'm sure can be ported to the G3 with a new ROM).
  • It's a Nexus device. Every one I've used has been smooth as silk.
  • USB-C.

So... what do?

EDIT: It appears that all the $150 Nexus 5x's are damaged, have non-functioning components, or have been soaked in water. Looks like a G3 will be the way to go.

Last edited by SPDSKTR; 01-06-2017 at 10:04 AM.
SPDSKTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 10:38 AM   #86
SamDoe1

I'd pony up some extra cash and buy the 5X. The biggest benefit of any Nexus device is the software. Most phone hardware these days is totally capable of anything, it's the software that matters most and where the Nexus shines. You will also get security updates immediately after they come out and don't have to wait around for the mfg to send the update (if they ever do). With mobile security being a huge deal these days, that's very important to me.

JMO.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:48 AM   #87
SLVR JDM

My Ride: 4Runner
Yep...and check on Swappa. Much better buying experience than ebay IMHO.
Old 01-06-2017, 10:49 AM   #88
MorganFreeman

My Ride: bacon
SPDSKTR, why do you need a new phone? No one is going to call yo emo as5.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:11 AM   #89
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPDSKTR View Post
[*]Already comes with Nougat (which I'm sure can be ported to the G3 with a new ROM).
You're going to have a rough time with that. ROMs like that are never as good as the real deal. Been there done that. That's if it's even possible to get it on that phone.

Quote:
[*]It's a Nexus device. Every one I've used has been smooth as silk.
That won't be the case with the Nexus 5X. It's a strong candidate for worst Nexus IMO. Although some do seem to be better than others. Maybe it's a QC issue. Thermal throttling is a tragedy on that thing.

Quote:
EDIT: It appears that all the $150 Nexus 5x's are damaged, have non-functioning components, or have been soaked in water. Looks like a G3 will be the way to go.
Despite all this, the 5X is still far superior the the G3, which is long past getting any manufacturer support whatsoever. It's easily worth the extra $50-75 you'll have to spend. And despite the shortcomings with the 5X, Nexus phones still age better than any other Android. I had a friend with the G3 that crashed and died on him about a year ago. Most Android OEMs don't make phones to last for the long haul. They'd rather you just buy a new one every year or two. This is why Google's own phones are so much better. Legit support after you buy it.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:14 AM   #90
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
After getting caught up on this thread, I should have clarified: I do have an upgrade available on my line. However, if I use it, I lose my 100 GB data plan. I was grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data plan by not using an upgrade, but when they downgraded me to the 100 GB limit, I've still been okay. I typically use upwards of 20 to 30 GB a month. Srs.

So far, I'm leaning towards the G3 or 5x. Both are similar in pricing on eBay ($125 to $150 for a used/refurbished 5x, $150 for a brand new G3, and $100 for a used/refurbished G3).

Reasons for G3:
  • Removable battery. 3000 mAh is a huge plus.
  • Micro-SD slot.
  • Infrared blaster.
  • Slightly larger screen size.

Reasons for 5x:
  • Despite a 10% smaller battery than the G3, battery life is relatively comparable.
  • LTE-A. And my city supports it.
  • Already comes with Nougat (which I'm sure can be ported to the G3 with a new ROM).
  • It's a Nexus device. Every one I've used has been smooth as silk.
  • USB-C.

So... what do?

Check swappa
Edit: vzw took you room unlimited to 100gb? When did that happen?

I'm on a grandfather plan

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.

Last edited by coco savage; 01-06-2017 at 11:16 AM.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #91
SPDSKTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by coco savage View Post
Check swappa
Edit: vzw took you room unlimited to 100gb? When did that happen?

I'm on a grandfather plan
If I'm reading this correctly, we all got swapped over.

http://www.droid-life.com/2016/07/26/fyi-verizon-unlimited-data-plan-no-longer-unlimited/
Old 01-06-2017, 06:45 PM   #92
taxi_driver

My Ride: has a meter in it
fwiw, I've been on T-mobile from at&t (with a new line) haven't had a single problem and service has been great. not sure if anyone caught the CES news this week but their pricing got even more competitive and they're giving away even more free crap.

the pixel promo is still running and rather tempting..

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2007 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L - Sold
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 02:44 AM   #93
jeffro3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxi_driver View Post
fwiw, I've been on T-mobile from at&t (with a new line) haven't had a single problem and service has been great. not sure if anyone caught the CES news this week but their pricing got even more competitive and they're giving away even more free crap.

the pixel promo is still running and rather tempting..
Yes I saw that, taxes and fees are included in the price now...

I just wish they didn't have the 480p video cap and tethering throttle. I'd rather it be limited to 10 gigs or something but be totally unrestricted. Still pretty tempting though.

The two bonus gigs per line that Verizon is doing makes their data a pretty good deal right now, especially with my employer discount, which T mobile doesn't offer.
Old 01-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #94
SPDSKTR

How about the Moto G4? $130 on eBay, good hardware, and no bloatware. No removable battery though, but I think that can be overlooked.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #95
SamDoe1

Jesus dude, there have been MANY people who have already said which phone to get (Nexus 5X) and you keep looking at others? At this point just buy whatever is cheapest and run with it.
Old 01-08-2017, 01:47 PM   #96
BreakfastBurrito

My Ride: ///GT3 RSR
The more I read about T mobile the better it sounds. They now only offer unlimited $70 plans. I don't really care too much about the 480p, I don't watch shows or movies on my phone, I only watch movie trailers and cat videos.

Someone mentioned in this thread that they will buy out my contract? Where can I find info on that?

Old 01-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #97
jeffro3000

Quote:
How about the Moto G4? $130 on eBay, good hardware, and no bloatware. No removable battery though, but I think that can be overlooked.
The Moto G4 will be better than the LG G3 but not as good as the 5X.

At $200 you can't do better than a 5X. Anything cheaper and you'd probably be better off with an iPhone 5S. It's running iOS 10. $140 on Swappa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post
The more I read about T mobile the better it sounds. They now only offer unlimited $70 plans. I don't really care too much about the 480p, I don't watch shows or movies on my phone, I only watch movie trailers and cat videos.

Someone mentioned in this thread that they will buy out my contract? Where can I find info on that?
Tethering is throttled to 128 or 256kbps too, in case you use that.

The fine print for the early termination fee payout is that you bring a trade in, port your number, and buy a new phone from them.
https://www.t-mobile.com/offer/switc...ation-fee.html

This doesn't apply to the Pixel since they don't sell it, but it has it's own deal. $325 back in bill credits over 2 years, even if you're already a customer.https://www.t-mobile.com/offer/googl...one-offer.html

You could probably port over and buy an S7 to get them to pay your ETF at Verizon, immediately sell it, buy a Pixel with the money, then get the $325 credit on that

The annoying thing is their plan used to be $70 for unlimited with no strings attached, or $100 for 2 lines
Old 01-09-2017, 08:44 AM   #98
coco savage

My Ride: 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamDoe1 View Post
Jesus dude, there have been MANY people who have already said which phone to get (Nexus 5X) and you keep looking at others? At this point just buy whatever is cheapest and run with it.
Definitely what it seems like

Random Images

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black107 View Post
he's just the resident off-topic ball breaker. Dont take it personally.
coco savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:44 PM   #99
taxi_driver

My Ride: has a meter in it
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastBurrito View Post

before I moved over, I considered my usage and was careful with the fine print. two months in no problems and I don't feel like i'm missing out on anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro3000 View Post
The Moto G4 will be better than the LG G3 but not as good as the 5X.

At $200 you can't do better than a 5X. Anything cheaper and you'd probably be better off with an iPhone 5S. It's running iOS 10. $140 on Swappa.

Tethering is throttled to 128 or 256kbps too, in case you use that.

The fine print for the early termination fee payout is that you bring a trade in, port your number, and buy a new phone from them.
https://www.t-mobile.com/offer/switc...ation-fee.html

This doesn't apply to the Pixel since they don't sell it, but it has it's own deal. $325 back in bill credits over 2 years, even if you're already a customer.https://www.t-mobile.com/offer/googl...one-offer.html

You could probably port over and buy an S7 to get them to pay your ETF at Verizon, immediately sell it, buy a Pixel with the money, then get the $325 credit on that

The annoying thing is their plan used to be $70 for unlimited with no strings attached, or $100 for 2 lines
I think it's another 20-25/mo to add unlimited LTE tethering and 1080p video streaming which if someone needs and considers total cost still isn't that bad for a single line in today's market. especially after verzion jacked their prices UP.

Currently Driving:
2007 Lexus GS 350
Past Cars:
2007 Honda Accord Coupe EX-L - Sold
2006 BMW 325i - Sold
2004 MB CLK320 - Leased
2001 VW GTI 1.8t - Sold
1995 MB C280 - Totaled

Last edited by taxi_driver; 01-09-2017 at 09:45 PM.
taxi_driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:14 AM   #100
310ci

My Ride: 325ci
Samsung s6 best phone I've ever had no idea how much it costs in America though!

Sent from my SM-G925F using E46Fanatics mobile app_nr_
310ci is offline   Reply With Quote