E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2017, 10:10 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal

My Ride: Bicycle
Where to start...

I am so overwhelmed about tire sizes and rims. I understand the basic but I still can't figure out what to get. I'm about to purchases a 330ci with ZHP but for the summer I want a wheel that looks like this.

Now what size do I go for. I checked the Turner Motorsport wheel guide but there isn't any pictures and it's simply described by mild aggressive. What does that translate to?

I'm looking for something that looks good, avoid using spacers and springs/coilovers if possible. It has to pass the shoe test between wheel and fender (shoe doesn't fit).
TheMidnightNarwhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:37 AM   #2
cdepew

My Ride: 02 330I
I have those exact rims or at least replicas of them. They're 18 inch so I went with 245/40 R18. SO MUCH WHEEL GAP. I lowered the car and now it sits so flush. Unfortunately it wasn't possible without lowering. Slapped some coilovers on and now I love it.

Picture isn't the best since it's at an angle and doesn't do the fitment justice. I can get a better pic in the morning. It's almost tucked a little in the back, but lines up perfectly with the front. Would have preferred the rim size to be 17.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
cdepew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 12:38 AM   #3
cdepew

I want to try and put 235's when these tires go bad.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:27 AM   #4
JTripper

My Ride: 3dirtyci
Where to start...

For starters non M's limit are 18" forget 19+
My setup includes 18x (8.5F, 9.5R) tires 235F 255R et 35 imo 35 is the best et size for wider wheels on our cars. No rubbing, No fender rolling needed. As for suspension.... i have H&R sport cup springs (all around) and matching front struts. Ppl ask are there coilovers under there or bags perhaps lmao "yeaaah ok wise guy" is my usual reply
It's nearly impossible to reduce wheel gap without changing the springs at the very minimum. Anything done to compensate for the space would probably be corny or catastrophic (like going 19+ or getting thicker tires unnecessarily ex a sidewall of 40+).

@BMWorNADA
BMWCCA
///MPIREBOYZ#239
1st Gen. AC Schnitzer Strut Bar, M3 Face, Gunmetal VMR V710FF 18x8.5/9.5 , AEM Logger & longtube CAI, H&R Sport Cup Springs and Front Struts, Koni Rears, Reinforced Towers, Int. Trim Wrapped, Custom FX-R Retrofit , 3k Fogs, Frosted WeissLichts, 8 Track Player with Dolby.

Last edited by JTripper; 02-10-2017 at 01:33 AM.
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTripper View Post
For starters non M's limit are 18" forget 19+
My setup includes 18x (8.5F, 9.5R) tires 235F 255R et 35 imo 35 is the best et size for wider wheels on our cars. No rubbing, No fender rolling needed. As for suspension.... i have H&R sport cup springs (all around) and matching front struts. Ppl ask are there coilovers under there or bags perhaps lmao "yeaaah ok wise guy" is my usual reply
It's nearly impossible to reduce wheel gap without changing the springs at the very minimum. Anything done to compensate for the space would probably be corny or catastrophic (like going 19+ or getting thicker tires unnecessarily ex a sidewall of 40+).

Ah ok, the way I saw it, having the proper rim size would avoid making you put springs, coilovers or spacers. I don't mind springs that much, since it's not super expensive and I was actually interested in the H and Rs. I really want to avoid fender rubbing so. And maybe when winter comes put back the stock springs altought my winter wheels will be 17 inch squared so it should still fit easily with the h r springs.

So if I get 18x8.5 rims at the front and 9.5 for the rear with the tires you mentioned should do the trick? On the photos looks good.

Last edited by TheMidnightNarwhal; 02-10-2017 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #6
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdepew View Post
I have those exact rims or at least replicas of them. They're 18 inch so I went with 245/40 R18. SO MUCH WHEEL GAP. I lowered the car and now it sits so flush. Unfortunately it wasn't possible without lowering. Slapped some coilovers on and now I love it.

Picture isn't the best since it's at an angle and doesn't do the fitment justice. I can get a better pic in the morning. It's almost tucked a little in the back, but lines up perfectly with the front. Would have preferred the rim size to be 17.

What's the main difference between coilovers and spring? Like I understand what the part is, but the way I see it coilovers only allow you to change the height as you like while some 300$ springs would do the same lowering job?
Old 02-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #7
cdepew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
What's the main difference between coilovers and spring? Like I understand what the part is, but the way I see it coilovers only allow you to change the height as you like while some 300$ springs would do the same lowering job?

Springs are not adjustable. Coilovers allow for adjustable height/dampening (depending on how much you wanna spend). With springs you're typically stuck with the ride quality afterwards. I got a good set for $500.

Old 02-10-2017, 11:24 AM   #8
cdepew

Quote:
Springs are not adjustable. Coilovers allow for adjustable height/dampening (depending on how much you wanna spend). With springs you're typically stuck with the ride quality afterwards. I got a good set for $500.

Coilovers also replace the whole entire front and rear strut assemblies. While lowering springs only change the spring. This is good if you're looking to overhaul the suspension anyways. It is my best investment and I love it.

Old 02-10-2017, 12:08 PM   #9
JTripper

My Ride: 3dirtyci
Quote:
Ah ok, the way I saw it, having the proper rim size would avoid making you put springs, coilovers or spacers. I don't mind springs that much, since it's not super expensive and I was actually interested in the H and Rs. I really want to avoid fender rubbing so. And maybe when winter comes put back the stock springs altought my winter wheels will be 17 inch squared so it should still fit easily with the h r springs.

So if I get 18x8.5 rims at the front and 9.5 for the rear with the tires you mentioned should do the trick? On the photos looks good.

Thanks, i took my time. Yeah 8.5 + 9.5 x 18" are the max widths and circumference with out rubbing or fender rolling. To boot i got my suspension brand new from a forum member here, it was only missing the rear shocks for $450, which I replaced with Konis. Besides H&Rs are german made , priced decently, well performed and TUV approved. TUV standards make the US DOT standards/regulations seem jokey imo.

Coilovers are for those that might track their cars as well as for those that frequently change wheels. The real ease wth coilovers is that they're one unit where as with a mc pherson setup (springs n struts/shocks) requires the springs being compressed and capped off with a strut bearing. In addition theres a hassle that many dont speak of which is dialing in the proper ride height. Thats done by repeatedly lifting and lowering the car to adjust the spring and locking nuts on the threaded strut housing, with special spanners; Which there are 2/3 types of. Which might requite taking off the wheels every time to adjust both sides. Straight hassle! Im a diy kinda guy, im not paying to get it done like most do when they end up fed up.

My parameters: I don't track my car and i have real life expenses (wife, property, rent and a mortgage) so i don't see where the extra $500-800 of an "investment" comes in. Back when i lived with mommy or when my boys and bought a house together that extra money to waste was there.

Ppl here will advise you to things that fit their preference, parameters and budget, without giving ALL THE PROS AND CONS. Very rarely will they take into account that cars are like ppl, they/we all can't be the same.

@BMWorNADA
BMWCCA
///MPIREBOYZ#239
1st Gen. AC Schnitzer Strut Bar, M3 Face, Gunmetal VMR V710FF 18x8.5/9.5 , AEM Logger & longtube CAI, H&R Sport Cup Springs and Front Struts, Koni Rears, Reinforced Towers, Int. Trim Wrapped, Custom FX-R Retrofit , 3k Fogs, Frosted WeissLichts, 8 Track Player with Dolby.
JTripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:01 PM   #10
hodgkinsc330ci

My Ride: 2002 BMW 330Ci
Quote:
I am so overwhelmed about tire sizes and rims. I understand the basic but I still can't figure out what to get. I'm about to purchases a 330ci with ZHP but for the summer I want a wheel that looks like this.

Now what size do I go for. I checked the Turner Motorsport wheel guide but there isn't any pictures and it's simply described by mild aggressive. What does that translate to?

I'm looking for something that looks good, avoid using spacers and springs/coilovers if possible. It has to pass the shoe test between wheel and fender (shoe doesn't fit).
Looking at wheels, the two biggest important numbers you're gonna want to look at are offset (ET XX, where XX is in mm) and wheel width (also in inches). If you want the above pictured wheels, look into Apex ARC-8 or VMR VB3 wheels. The Apex are lighter weight, and consequently a little more expensive than the VMR's.

Generally speaking, 18" is the golden size for E46's. IMO, 17" is small-ish (will normally be lighter, however) and 19" looks too blingy while also being heavier and creating more of a dead spot in the center of your steering.

If you want a definitive answer, get the 18"X8.5" ET40 ARC-8 wheels and wrap them in 245/40/18 tires. You won't have any issue with fitment, and you'll have a nice square setup.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
hodgkinsc330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 03:29 PM   #11
cdepew

Here's some better pictures of the fitment. The rear is tucked a little because I accidentally lowered it a bit more than the front and have been to lazy to raise it back up lmao.
No rubbing or anything. I have an aftermarket CSL bumper, but didn't have any fitment issues with the stock bumper either. Hope this helps! Ignore the curb rash (these are my rims I use to mess around with).

Old 02-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #12
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:

Altough with the ZCP the suspension is pretty good but ofcourse coilovers are better.

Where did you get them a 500$? I'm looking around and all I find is coilovers around 1500$. I will def get coilovers if only 300$ more than springs.
Old 02-11-2017, 11:47 AM   #13
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
Looking at wheels, the two biggest important numbers you're gonna want to look at are offset (ET XX, where XX is in mm) and wheel width (also in inches). If you want the above pictured wheels, look into Apex ARC-8 or VMR VB3 wheels. The Apex are lighter weight, and consequently a little more expensive than the VMR's.

Generally speaking, 18" is the golden size for E46's. IMO, 17" is small-ish (will normally be lighter, however) and 19" looks too blingy while also being heavier and creating more of a dead spot in the center of your steering.

If you want a definitive answer, get the 18"X8.5" ET40 ARC-8 wheels and wrap them in 245/40/18 tires. You won't have any issue with fitment, and you'll have a nice square setup.

Love the arc 8s. But damn, wheels are more expensive than I thought haha.

Isn't a square setup not optimal? Poeple tell me to get a staggered setup?
Old 02-11-2017, 12:50 PM   #14
hodgkinsc330ci

Quote:
Love the arc 8s. But damn, wheels are more expensive than I thought haha.

Isn't a square setup not optimal? Poeple tell me to get a staggered setup?
Quite the opposite. You get to rotate your tires with a square setup, and with more tire up front you get more forward grip. Really the only reason I can think of for going staggered is if you want to run bigger tires in the rear, like maybe 265's, but a) you'll likely rub and b) 245 is *plenty* of tire for an E46 non-M.
[BMW Motors] Advertising has somehow convinced people that they're different. That they're made by magical Dachshunds who only eat special bratwursts made by virgins in an undisclosed magical spot inside of the black forest that can only be accessed via a special hydrogen powered BMW helicopter.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:02 PM   #15
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:
Originally Posted by hodgkinsc330ci View Post
Quite the opposite. You get to rotate your tires with a square setup, and with more tire up front you get more forward grip. Really the only reason I can think of for going staggered is if you want to run bigger tires in the rear, like maybe 265's, but a) you'll likely rub and b) 245 is *plenty* of tire for an E46 non-M.
From a look point, does squared still look on point? I would prefer sqaured, rotate and cheaper.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:46 PM   #16
hodgkinsc330ci

Squared looks fine. Honestly, it's not like we're driving Corvettes where we have 305's in the rear and 275's in the front. You'll thank me later when you go square!

Old 02-11-2017, 02:27 PM   #17
cdepew

Quote:
Altough with the ZCP the suspension is pretty good but ofcourse coilovers are better.

Where did you get them a 500$? I'm looking around and all I find is coilovers around 1500$. I will def get coilovers if only 300$ more than springs.

I got mine off of ECS tuning they were on sale at the time. I think I only actually paid $450 but with shipping I think it came out close to $500. I haven't been disappointed yet with them. It took about 6 months of watching before I stumbled upon them.

A lot of people on here sell them used with only a couple hundred miles on them for a good price. Just keep your eye open.

Old 02-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #18
TheMidnightNarwhal

Ok so I think after all I will go with a staggered setup. My old 330ci had staggered setup and it was so nice I need it On ECS there is some nice rims and they 18x8 front and 18.9 rear. Now regarding tires, is there like an optimal size I should go with or any that fits should be good? How much does it affect look wise?
Old 02-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #19
TheMidnightNarwhal

Quote:
I got mine off of ECS tuning they were on sale at the time. I think I only actually paid $450 but with shipping I think it came out close to $500. I haven't been disappointed yet with them. It took about 6 months of watching before I stumbled upon them.

A lot of people on here sell them used with only a couple hundred miles on them for a good price. Just keep your eye open.

I'll be getting the same rims as you! But 18.8 front and 18.9 rear.

I had a question about the matte black, how do you like it? To me I picture more gloss black on black wheels but if the matte black looks nice to.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #20
cdepew

Quote:
I'll be getting the same rims as you! But 18.8 front and 18.9 rear.

I had a question about the matte black, how do you like it? To me I picture more gloss black on black wheels but if the matte black looks nice to.

Haha I have been waiting to be asked this question. So I loved the full black look and spent a lot of time and money making my car black on black without over doing it. I was excited at first when I had gone with matte black, but after a few months I was sick of it. Brake dust and matte black rims are the two worst combinations. I switched to drilled and slotted rotors in the front and it helped big time, but not enough.

I ended up taking some polish to them and ended up with a little more gloss to them. They're definitely not as nice as factory gloss black, but it definitely looks nicer in my opinion. I definitely would have gone with gloss to begin with. Now I want to switch over to bronze or gun metal .

But quality wise they are beautiful when you first get them, but having to clean them so much isn't worth it. Not trying to change your mind, just telling you what I wish someone told me.

By the way I'm super OCD when it comes to cleaning my car and nobody ever mentioned how dirty my rims looked haha. Great choice on the staggered set, I ordered the squared by accident and didn't want to go through the hassle of returning them.

Let me know how you like them!