E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum

Forced Induction Forum
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 01:38 AM   #1
jpawbk

My Ride: 325Ci
Cheap low boost no tune DIY turbo brainstormin

so like the title states im trying to put together a cheap turbo under $500 with ebay parts and only run about 5psi or so and i know its gonna sound very stupid to alot of very serious car people over here but please keep in mind im a full time college student and dont really have lots of money to spend. i was thinking about running FMU from ebay to solve the fuel problem and a cheap ebay intercooler + ebay turbo + ebay blow off or bypass valve(maybe i dont need one for so low boost? idk)

so my question is
1) where should i move my pre cat o2 sensors to?(i think the downpipe is the solution but i heard people saying that only one o2 sensor should be installed, i dont know how that could be achieved without getting a tune)
2) will the FMU function correctly in my e46 325ci 2004?

before you bash on my stupid idea please give me a reasonable answer so maybe i could fix my stupidity

Last edited by jpawbk; 03-06-2017 at 02:05 AM.
jpawbk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:30 AM   #2
daniel_f.

My Ride: 330iC
2004 is probably M56 engine, so its using MS45.1 and there is absolutely no possibility to get it running smooth for such low money. Even a simple tune for that engine is going to be much more.

If you canīt afford a charged engine, donīt try building one!

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

daniel_f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:17 AM   #3
jpawbk

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_f. View Post
2004 is probably M56 engine, so its using MS45.1 and there is absolutely no possibility to get it running smooth for such low money. Even a simple tune for that engine is going to be much more.

If you canīt afford a charged engine, donīt try building one!
im 100% sure my engine is m54, ive looked at m56 photos and mine does not look like that but the MAF sensor does have 5 pin connector so its probably MS45 so tunes out of question like u said. im trying to understand why it would be impossible to run it smoothly even on low psi, from my understanding, 5psi is low enough so that no retardation is required? right? or no?

as long as the FMU does half the job its supposed to i dont see why it would be impossible to make it smooth unless of course i wanted to run more than 6 psi, story would change.
Old 03-06-2017, 07:27 AM   #4
daniel_f.

Where is that 5psi limit coming from? Why do you think it would run smooth up to that pressure? Engine wasnīt designed to handle boost by factory and ecu setup wasnīt adjusted to handle ~300hp. So why do you think it would work?

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

Old 03-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #5
Commanderwiggin

My Ride: 900rwhp Turbo M3
Old 03-06-2017, 02:04 PM   #6
jpawbk

Quote:
Where is that 5psi limit coming from? Why do you think it would run smooth up to that pressure? Engine wasnīt designed to handle boost by factory and ecu setup wasnīt adjusted to handle ~300hp. So why do you think it would work?
i wont be near 300hp probably around 250 i will achieve with 5psi approximately(im not a pro) i was gonna control the boost with internal wastegate rated at 6psi and maybe get a blow off valve that is limited at 5psi(or i can make a simple adjustable boost controller).
if its not possible to run this without a tune what are my options for tuning? the cheapest i can get preferably(if i can get one, i know the ms45 is a pain in the ass to tune but is there a way or a person that does it for cheap?)

Last edited by jpawbk; 03-06-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:14 PM   #7
daniel_f.

No one does it for cheap :-)

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

Old 03-06-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
jpawbk

Quote:
No one does it for cheap :-)
what do you think the price range would be for ms45 tune??
Old 03-06-2017, 05:08 PM   #9
SK330ci

My Ride: 02 330ci w/ 3 Pedals
Daniel (tuning) and the Commander (turbo's) are two of the brightest minds in turbo/tuning applications, listen to them and save yourself headaches and poorly spent $$$.

Mods: Header, CAI, Shark, Koni Sport Struts, Rob43 9 Way Shocks, Big Sway Bar, Special Lowering Springs, 3.38 Diff, PFC Z-Pads, 75 Shot Of N20

E46 M3's are just tasty snacks i eat for lunch.
SK330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:06 PM   #10
daemonicus

My Ride: batmobile
how long have you owned your e46 for and what kind of car did you have prior to it? I sense there was a Honda or Mitsubishi in the past....
daemonicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #11
daemonicus

a generic, cast, log manifold for a m54 on eBay is still over $100...I'm eager to see how you can get all other parts AND a tune with your leftover $400.....good luck because if you can do it for $500 and have it running just as good as it does stock, then you will be the ONLY person on the planet that has done it.

unfortunately, you've got more hopes and dreams than you do knowledge. the fact that you're even asking some of these questions is indicative of you being in over your head.

you should've searched and read, and searched more and read more, and then when you couldn't possibly find your answers ANYWHERE (doubtful), only THEN should you have started this thread.

Last edited by daemonicus; 03-06-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:03 PM   #12
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
Easier to convert the car to MS43 so tuning becomes free (sort of ) , cheap ass china turbo is 100$ manifold if you look good you can pick one up off hands for 65 bucks like I did , then you buy generic turbo suppply line and drain line kit which is 40 bucks
205 so we got 295 left where we could spend it on intercooler piping and intercooler ( 100$ once again if you look good ) and left over he could buy a motor mount which is 145$ and left over change he can use for fittings and such
Its possible to do it if you have MS43 unless someone gives you harness for free ( junkyard shouldnt be expensive) , but the car wont be reliable ) If you want you can check out my thread Turbo project for a budget , and ull see what problems I faced before I even started the project
Or insted of motor mount he can use it on something else but then fitment will be a problem

Last edited by cwarel; 03-06-2017 at 10:04 PM.
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:27 PM   #13
BMW WHP

My Ride: 01 330Ci w/ stick
LOL at a 500 dollar low boost turbo with no tuning.

A few more threads like this and this place will start to smell like a honda civic forum.
BMW WHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #14
daemonicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW WHP View Post
LOL at a 500 dollar low boost turbo with no tuning.

A few more threads like this and this place will start to smell like a honda civic forum.
a quality tune alone from a reputable tuner would be well over $500. you could always do it yourself if you like downtime, a car that might never run right, check engine lights and potentially blowing up your engine. those all sound like fun things the average driver would really enjoy.....

this is true in life and business; if you don't have the budget to do it right the first time, then either save up so you CAN do it right or just don't do it at all.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:13 PM   #15
daniel_f.

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

Last edited by daniel_f.; 03-10-2017 at 03:50 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 04:14 PM   #16
daniel_f.

Like already mentioned, it is possible. You just need much time for finding steals and need to switch to MS43.

I got a nice twinscroll charger from ebay for 50€. Exhaust side can be manufactured from stock stuff. 330d intercooler can be found from 25€ on.

Siemens MS42 wiki!

Siemens MS43 wiki!

Old 03-11-2017, 05:03 AM   #17
jpawbk

lol so much haters here, i dont understand. these cars are becoming cheap and spare parts are readily available so what is all this hate about? do it right or dont do it at all? what kind of attitude is that? obvisouly i am going to try to do everything the right way, that is why i made this thread to ask questions, just because something is cheap doesn't mean its not going to work. a simple question could not be answered by all you geniuses so i will ask again(oh and dont give me **** about not doing my research as i couldnt find any information on this regarding M54s or any modern engines for that matter) ... will an FMU(RRFPR) even work on M54 engines? a simple ****ing question honestly.... i could find out by getting the actual unit and testing it myself but i thought i could avoid all that hassle by just asking here but obviously i was dreadfully wrong lol
Old 03-11-2017, 10:42 PM   #18
cwarel

My Ride: 330ci coupe
There are people worldwide on these forums and in europe or elsewhere these cars still expensive ,but for us in USA its very old car and nobody wants to take care of them so we can get them for cheap in USA , but in europe people keep their cars till they die and I dont get it , why other people dont understand.
About the FMU thought , never tried it and never seen it , because OEM fuel filter has pressure regulator built in it, so you would have to buy a filter without a regulator and slice the regulator somewheres in the engine bay. But if I were you I would switch to ms43 , it is very cheap just go to the junkyard and rip out harness with an ecu , bring ecu home , read Bigges ms43 tuning thread, flash ecu and you can adjust how much fuel you want. Im turbocharging my car on monday and its easier for me to tune the car rather then buying fmu and having all that hassle with fuel lines and vacuum hoses
cwarel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:00 AM   #19
zha50

My Ride: '04 325ci 5MT
MS45 has wideband O2 as well. Which could mean that it may be AFR targeting as well. It will either throw codes, or trim out any additional fueling you add with a interceptor.

Generally, interceptors are bad at best, and at worse, not going to work very will. Atleast in more sophisticated EFI systems of the Euro cars of the era.

Also, you will not have control of spark timing, which is going to be a problem very fast.

'04 325ci M-sport 5MT
- Bone stock -
zha50 is offline   Reply With Quote