E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-12-2017, 07:57 PM   #1
Jagdtiger

My Ride: 05 330CI
Some insight

Hello guys I have had this problem now for a few days. Here is the start. I had to unplug my battery to clean some debris out of the battery compartment. So I plugged the battery back in and the lcd display has 5 p's on it and nothing else. I cannot access the obc at all. Now I have tried everything imaginable to remedy this situation to no avail. I cannot get the obc to work. I have bmw scanner and there is no errors in the ike at all. I have pulled fuses unplugged the battery and nothing. Can this be dealt with using pasoft? I have two places I'm gonna call in the morning to see about maybe doing something with the cluster. BBA Reman and ProgRama Inc. I was hopeing to fix it myself though. Thanks for any insight anyone can provide

[EDIT] I just found out too that if you put the key in position one the obc does not fire up at all the radio does. Position 2 the obc comes on but it has the ppppp and nothing else.

Last edited by Jagdtiger; 03-12-2017 at 10:26 PM.
Jagdtiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-13-2017, 04:18 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
What the battery voltage?
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:18 PM   #3
Jagdtiger

Hey markus thanks for the reply ill get that info to you. Im at work right now. I talked to bba reman today and the guy told me it is a programing error withe obc and that i could use bmw scanner to fix it but im not entirely sure how to do that. By the way the battery isnt even a year old.
Old 03-14-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
Jagdtiger

Hey again markus my battery is reading 12.8. It's been so cold here that I haven't been out to try and rectify the situation using pasoft. I'm gonna give it a shot as soon as the weather is a little better.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:22 PM   #5
Jagdtiger

I believe I see how to maybe do it but the Default Factory Reset option is greyed out for me anyone help me out with why it is greyed out? I believe if that option was there I could fix the obc.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Jagdtiger

Ok I talked with Scott BMWGM5 and he didn't even know what this error was so that is a no go option going through him. I give up I guess i'll go to a dealer and see what and how much it will be for them to sort this garbage out.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:43 AM   #7
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
Try the BMW approved reset procedure:
- disconnect the ground cable from the battery
- disconnect the positive cable from the battery
- short the 2 cables together for 10 minutes
- reconnect the positive cable to the battery
- reconnect the gray cable to the battery (sparks are normal)
- reset the clock

This forces all electronic module to perform a hard reboot. You battery voltage is fine.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:52 PM   #8
Jagdtiger

I gave that a shot an no dice. I guess a trip to the dealer is in order. I have looked through bmw scanner and cannot find a way to reset the obc. Thanks though for your replies I appreciate it.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:33 PM   #9
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagdtiger View Post
I gave that a shot an no dice. I guess a trip to the dealer is in order. I have looked through bmw scanner and cannot find a way to reset the obc. Thanks though for your replies I appreciate it.
Give this a try:
* Turn key in ignition to position I
* Remove fuses (10, 34, 43) for the dash
* Re-insert the fuses (you'll hear a Whirring sound as you do so)
* Turn key in ignition to position II

Overboost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:35 PM   #10
Jagdtiger

Thanks boost I appreciate it but that is a no go as well. I have literally tried almost everything even multiple times and nothing is resetting that 5p crap. I'm gonna try some more things with P.A.Soft and see if something gives before I cave in and goto the dealer.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:05 PM   #11
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Thanks boost I appreciate it but that is a no go as well. I have literally tried almost everything even multiple times and nothing is resetting that 5p crap. I'm gonna try some more things with P.A.Soft and see if something gives before I cave in and goto the dealer.
Last suggestion would be to pull the cluster, takes 2 minutes. Look around on the board and see if you can see a blown capacitor or trace. I hate to think what the dealer is going to charge you. There are capacitor issues causing the the PPPPP OBC that were solved on the web, especially on the Z4.

Old 03-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #12
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

My Ride: E24 E32 E46 E39 E84
Quote:
Have you reached out to scottjoh? He repairs these clusters and may have some insight for you. I would avoid the dealer completely, they'll suck your wallet dry and fvck up your car in the process.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:41 PM   #13
Jagdtiger

Quote:
Ok I talked with Scott BMWGM5 and he didn't even know what this error was so that is a no go option going through him. I give up I guess i'll go to a dealer and see what and how much it will be for them to sort this garbage out.
No dice there either.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:57 PM   #14
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

Did you read the IKE codes using BMW Scanner 1.4. That will at least give some clues.

I did some searching around and found several threads from people having the same PPPPP cluster display. Some of them reset the cluster and it came back while others had to replace the cluster.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:31 PM   #15
Jagdtiger

Hey BaliDawg there are no errors in the ike. I have read a ton about this on the net. The guy I talked to from BBA Reman told me it is a programming error and I asked him if I could use P.A.Soft to fix it and he told me that would work. I just can't figure out how to do such a thing with the software.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:37 PM   #16
Overboost
Binary is in my DNA

Quote:
Hey BaliDawg there are no errors in the ike. I have read a ton about this on the net. The guy I talked to from BBA Reman told me it is a programming error and I asked him if I could use P.A.Soft to fix it and he told me that would work. I just can't figure out how to do such a thing with the software.
If you have NCS Expert, sending a blank MAN file to the cluster will reset it to original default settings. I haven't tried the PA Soft but it looks like there is a setting but it is grayed out on most of the installs I have seen.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:53 PM   #17
Jagdtiger

I don't have ncs expert I wish I did. Yes it is greyed out for me as well that's what I can't figure out. I don't think my cluster is dead though. Everything works except the obc output. The only thing I messed with at all was the temp mod. Which that worked for hell and ever and then this happened after unplugging the battery. Should I try changing the temp code back to the stock? I kinda doubt that is gonna clear it but maybe. This is frustrating to say the least. Thanks though for your replies!

(edit) Boost I just saw your previous post about taking the cluster out. I did do that but i'm so afraid of braking the brittle components by taking it apart but I may give that a shot here in the next few mins and check it out.

Last edited by Jagdtiger; 03-19-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #18
BaliDawg
Keepin' it real stock

Quote:
I'm very surprised that PA Soft BMW Scanner 1.4 displayed no errors for your IKE. Did it display all its information correctly? The first screen that pops up shows some details of the IKE and LCM modules. See an example here.
http://blog.obdtool.co.uk/wp-content...M-coding-1.jpg

I doubt the guy from BBA knows exactly what the problem is with your cluster. It could be a software or flash memory error, or it could be a hardware malfunction needing repair.

If you want to reset the IKE, you can reset the IKE's coding to its factory defaults using NCS Expert. Here's a thread with one example of how to do it.
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...cs-expert.html

With BMW Scanner 1.4 you can copy the VO (vehicle order) from the EWS into the IKE as described here.
http://www.digital-kaos.co.uk/forums...ter-VIN-change
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 PM   #19
Jagdtiger

Yes there are no errors being scanned. I have the cluster in my hands now i'm gonna carefully take it apart and check for anomalies. After that i'm gonna read through the links you posted. I know the dealer is gonna bend me over but i'm running out of options here and don't know what to do. Thanks for those links though I greatly appreciate it. Honestly I would be kinda happy to find something blown or burned just to get to the root cause.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 PM   #20
Jagdtiger

Nothing on the back board of the cluster is burned or broken it looks pristine. So I guess that is one thing ruled out.