E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
Rolyak

My Ride: 2003 325i Touring
Rats, it's a throwout bearing

"Personally, this is not a fatal condition. My throw out bearing was screaming at me for something like 100,000 miles." Quote from JDStrickland.

Supposedly the PO changed the clutch 20-30K ago? I'm a long time "neutral only when stopped for over 3 seconds"! Clutch not depressed.

Wife is ready to have me sell the car, I spent 5K in parts in 11 months and I drove 16K. Just finished the hard pipes job and not anxious to get into another tough job until weather is warm and fluffy!

What are chances the bearing has seized and will grind it's way through the pressure plate fingers?
Rolyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 AM   #2
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
What usually happens is the beating guts will come out of the outer race and will jam the arm assembly. This happened to my car. So it's a crapshoot as to when the bearing will fail, but it will.
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:06 AM   #3
Rolyak

Thanks! markusmarkus, as this became apparent within about ten days it's likely to fail sooner than later!
At 160K what are the chances the DMF is reusable? What symptoms can be expected when it's failing?
Old 03-20-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
shoman24v

My Ride: 2002 330i 1999 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolyak View Post
Thanks! markusmarkus, as this became apparent within about ten days it's likely to fail sooner than later!
At 160K what are the chances the DMF is reusable? What symptoms can be expected when it's failing?
The drive line will chatter bad upon takeoff worse when you don't use gas. How long they last can really depend on your driving style. They cannot be resurfaced unlike SMF so installing a new clutch on a worn disk may prematurely wear the new clutch out.

My DMF was really bad on my E36. Went 215k on it and 2 clutches. Went with a solid one. I plan to do that to the E46 whenever I need a new clutch. Less chance for failure.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:23 AM   #5
markusmarkus

Quote:

My throwout bearing exploded at 100k miles and the dmf was reused without a problem. The decision as to reuse or replace needs to be made after you inspect the flywheel. As noted, mine was fine. Also, if you replace the flywheel you should replace the rear main seal.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:41 AM   #6
Rolyak

A big thanks to you guys!

Done quite a few clutch jobs over the years but the E46 scares me a little!
Old 03-22-2017, 07:06 AM   #7
markusmarkus

Rats, it's a throwout bearing

Quote:

My reclutch job cost me $1800. Now I live in the D.C. area so everything costs big bux. The shop that did the job, J&F Motors, does top quality work so I bit the bullet. As far as it being a tough job, I think the hardest part is getting the top torx bolts out.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

Last edited by markusmarkus; 03-22-2017 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:42 AM   #8
shoman24v

My Ride: 2002 330i 1999 328is
Quote:

I did my E36 and it wasn't too bad. Should be essentially the same for the E46. You'll need 2 floor jacks, and 4 6 ton jack stands to get the car off the ground high enough. You'll also need long extensions to reach all the transmission bolts and a torque wrench.

Took me all day, but I saved $800 in installation costs, replaced my transmission shift bushings and shift pins, replaced my starter, and rebuilt my shifter.
Old 03-22-2017, 09:32 AM   #9
TobyB

My Ride: 2004xit, 2001ci
There is a 6mm bolt that goes the opposite way to all the other bolts that's used
to hold the sheetmetal spacer- it's hidden up and under the catalysts, and I majorly missed
it when I pulled mine the other day. And made a royal mess of the spacer plate.

What bit me. Well, other than all the sharp edges on the firewall...

heh

t
TobyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #10
Rolyak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB View Post
There is a 6mm bolt that goes the opposite way to all the other bolts that's used
to hold the sheetmetal spacer- it's hidden up and under the catalysts, and I majorly missed

heh

t
Yikes, thanks for that tip!
Old 03-22-2017, 03:38 PM   #11
evanr614

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyB View Post

heh

t

It was a 10mm on my car. pretty sure it's a 10 on all other E46's as well...

Atlantis Blue 328Ci Project Thread
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...523&highlight=
evanr614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:06 PM   #12
TobyB

10mm head, 6mm thread. We both get a prize.

And it's completely invisible from under the car,
especially if you're farsighted, cold, it's getting dark and you're frustrated.

Holds the spacer and a clip for the pre- cat o2 sensors.

t
Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 PM   #13
Rolyak

Completed the job!

Did the SD Valeo flywheel kit plus rear seal, top bolts were tough due to PO 's mechanic not having external Torx sockets that required me to drive correct socket in place.

Took almost three days to get transmission on the ground but first on my chest! I made a few mistakes taking it out but did the reassembly in a matter of hours. Every Torx bolt had to be replaced!

I fabricated a bracket to attach to my floor jack and the trans mated up easily, the starter was a different story!I walked away until the next morning and then it was "golden"!

Naturally the TOB fell apart but the disc and SAC looked wonderful, the DMF had some movement, not sure what is acceptable? Still believe the SAC and DMF played a part in the TOB failure

The upshot is that it now drives like manual trans car should, I spent a year trying to learn how to drive a BMW! A plug for FCP as Gareth was instrumental in getting me the right parts!
Old 04-06-2017, 10:10 PM   #14
TobyB

So BMW says to replace the torx bolts- and it's not because they're tty, it's because they're coated
so they don't gall the threads in the aluminum block.

The PO did the last clutch, and of course, reused the bolts. So one of mine galled on the way out.
There was some cussing...

what happened to me,
t

Oh, and a goobered external torx can sometimes be taken offf with a 12- point socket (often, 1mm smaller and a hammer)
and a rounded Allen (inhex) can often be taken off with a 12- point internal star- drive socket, like VW uses. Again with the hammering.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:19 PM   #15
jdstrickland

My Ride: '94 325iC & '00 323i
Quote:
"Personally, this is not a fatal condition. My throw out bearing was screaming at me for something like 100,000 miles." Quote from JDStrickland.

What are chances the bearing has seized and will grind it's way through the pressure plate fingers?

Very low to non-existent.

The throw out bearing should be replaced with the clutch, but a clutch should give 200k+ miles of reliable service. If one is in the habit of holding the clutch pedal depressed while waiting for the light to turn green, then the bearing will have a shorter life.

My throw out bearing made noise at the moment the clutch fork moved into contact with the pressure plate, and the noise stopped at the moment that the fork no longer was in contact with the pressure plate. I could move the pedal an inch or so against the Over Center Spring on the pedal, and the bearing would sing. If I released the pedal, then the singing would stop.
jdstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 01:21 AM   #16
TobyB

That's odd, because the BMW way since the E21 is to keep the bearing in contact with the fingers-
there's a spring in the slave that 'preloads' it by a few pounds...

t