E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-19-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

My Ride: modded E46
Exclamation :: Got engine undertray (splash guard)?? ::

I think my old freakin sh!t body shop forgot to put mine back on! Who doesnt have their engine undertray? is it necessary to have? I found out it is over $200 for a new one! Anyone take theirs off? Also, since i put a Rieger front bumper on, does it need to come off anyway?? Please help!

my modded sedan
AMG EATER is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-19-2004, 06:57 PM   #2
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

anyone??

my modded sedan
Old 04-19-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
russ330
Mod Squad

My Ride: Motorsport III
Send a message via AIM to russ330
I haven't had the splash guard on my e36 for a while (~2.5yrs) and I haven't had any problems with it.
Old 04-19-2004, 07:08 PM   #4
bigjohnstud4200
Pimp-OLOGY

My Ride: '03 ZHP - 325i '02
Quote:
Originally Posted by russ330
I haven't had the splash guard on my e36 for a while (~2.5yrs) and I haven't had any problems with it.
Don't test your luck with that.. i hydrolocked my Jetta b/c no splash guard after the dealer did front end work after an accident and didn't put it back on. When i brought it back to them those bastards fixed it and then tried to charge me over $3000 for the repairs. I took my spare key to the shop one day, walked in the back where they park the cars and rolled OUT! About 2 weeks later they called me asking, "Mr. X, we can't locate your car.. do you have it?" I said "NOPE".. A couple weeks later they called me again and said, "don't ever bring your car here again..." which i never did! EFF EM!
Old 04-19-2004, 07:23 PM   #5
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnstud4200
Don't test your luck with that.. i hydrolocked my Jetta b/c no splash guard after the dealer did front end work after an accident and didn't put it back on. When i brought it back to them those bastards fixed it and then tried to charge me over $3000 for the repairs. I took my spare key to the shop one day, walked in the back where they park the cars and rolled OUT! About 2 weeks later they called me asking, "Mr. X, we can't locate your car.. do you have it?" I said "NOPE".. A couple weeks later they called me again and said, "don't ever bring your car here again..." which i never did! EFF EM!
dam where do u live that caused the hydrolock on your Jetta?

my modded sedan
Old 04-19-2004, 07:46 PM   #6
coffee
Waiting for my V8 4door M3!

My Ride: is Pepsi blue
Send a message via AIM to coffee
Quote:

lol, that was great
Old 04-19-2004, 08:15 PM   #7
bigjohnstud4200
Pimp-OLOGY

My Ride: '03 ZHP - 325i '02
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG EATER
dam where do u live that caused the hydrolock on your Jetta?
I lived in AZ at the time.. It's really dry there, but when it rains it FLOODS! I was coming off an off ramp and at the end was a HUGE flow of water (couldn't back up). I was more worried that I would stall out b/c of not enough power so i decided to GUN it.. i did and half way thru i hear "something wierd" and the car instantly starts.. TICK TICK TICK TICK TICK.. I drove home a couple miles and pulled the oil drain plug.. all mudd and water! #2 cylinder took the water and bent the rod to the point of rubbing the cylinder wall.

P.S. the car was lowered with 17's (big at that time).
Old 04-19-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
xS3x
mi casa @ technik

My Ride: 2002 330Ci
Send a message via MSN to xS3x
i dont have mine..its been fine
Old 04-19-2004, 09:09 PM   #9
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
Quote:
Real mature.

It's weight savings for one. I know a lot of P-Car owners don't run them in the rear. Then again I like how clean it keeps everything.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:27 PM   #10
darkmanlfe

My Ride: rocket propelled 323
Send a message via AIM to darkmanlfe
well it does protect the engine bay from debris. rocks, sharp things can pierce right through the hoses. water getting into the components.

if you ask me, it is more of a preventive part... hey if you are under warranty, dont worry. if not, it is something to think about. think long term i guess.

here is the Part # 51-71-8-242-567 Cost $169.26 at a dealer.
check with circle or pacific. it might be cheaper...
Old 04-20-2004, 08:05 AM   #11
NCBimma

My Ride: '01 325i
Send a message via AIM to NCBimma
mine got ripped of by tire debris in the road bout 2 yrs ago...no probs here, xcept a little dust on in the bay at times...i consider it my STAGE I lightweight mod...
Old 04-20-2004, 08:55 AM   #12
richbmw323

My Ride: 2000 323ia SC'd
Mine is gone due to the Intercooler cross over pipe. And my downpipe is really low in the bumper, I am having a SS box made to keep the water somewhat out of the K&N

2000 Sebring Silver Metallic Coupe C5 Corvette
richbmw323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 09:23 AM   #13
mt3ch
Addicted to Torque!

My Ride: 08 E93 M3 & 11 335d
Send a message via AIM to mt3ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by richbmw323
Mine is gone due to the Intercooler cross over pipe. And my downpipe is really low in the bumper, I am having a SS box made to keep the water somewhat out of the K&N
Oh let me know how that works for ya. I have the same problem.

My VehicleHistory
2008 VW R32
2006 Misubishi Lancer Evolution IX SE
1999 328is Lease Return :-)
2002 325ci AA Supercharged SOLD
2003 330i ZHP SOLD
1997 M3 Sedan FOR SALE!

Wifeys VW History
2001 VW New Beetle GLS Turbo [1.8t - 5 speed - BBS RXII's] SOLD
2007 VW GTI [DSG] - SOLD
2009 VW Tiguan S - "Babymobile"
mt3ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:50 AM   #14
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by richbmw323
I wonder if all SC people has to have theirs removed? anyone wanna sell theirs to me?

my modded sedan
Old 04-20-2004, 12:01 PM   #15
akhbhaat
Lying, drunken cheat

My Ride: German Civic
I hit a cone head on at about 70 mph at an autocross about a year ago, and it went under the car and cracked the splash guard on the driver side. Only problem I have had with it is that the temp sensor would sometimes fall out and hang loose, so I finally just secured it with electrical tape.
Old 04-20-2004, 12:38 PM   #16
GordonMurray
Banned

My Ride: A German Motorcoach.
That's a pretty quick course to hit 70mph during an AutoX.
GordonMurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 01:20 PM   #17
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG EATER
I wonder if all SC people has to have theirs removed? anyone wanna sell theirs to me?
I wonder if all SC people has to have theirs removed?

my modded sedan
Old 04-20-2004, 01:32 PM   #18
akhbhaat
Lying, drunken cheat

My Ride: German Civic
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonMurray
That's a pretty quick course to hit 70mph during an AutoX.
Yeah, it was the annual "Axis vs. Allies" event and the Mustang guys designed it (which should explain it ). Since this one was at a local airfield, one of the unused runways was set up as the course, and at a mile long, you could get some serious speed going on the back leg (some people were hitting nearly 80). The obstacles themselves were mostly just 1/2 mile slaloms and widely spaced gates. One of the very few courses that I've ever gotten to 3rd gear in.

Sound of impact was so loud that it grabbed the attention of eveybody there, and my friend snapped this pic with his Canon 10D.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bmw1 copy.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	74609  

Last edited by akhbhaat; 04-20-2004 at 01:46 PM.
akhbhaat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:05 PM   #19
jluzbet

My Ride: 2003-530I
Send a message via AIM to jluzbet Send a message via MSN to jluzbet Send a message via Yahoo to jluzbet
I got the back part of it, which is the Metal one if you need it I give it to you for $100.00, I got it when I crashed my car & never needed it ..
jluzbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 02:10 PM   #20
AMG EATER
Senior Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluzbet
I got the back part of it, which is the Metal one if you need it I give it to you for $100.00, I got it when I crashed my car & never needed it ..
is it under the engine bay in the front? how come u never needed it?

my modded sedan