E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 648 votes, 4.95 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #381
don95

My Ride: 2005 330i
crush washers for oil filter gasket

i'm having a tough time finding the washers can anyone give the link for the part. (Crush washers: 32-41-1-093-596 (qty 2)) . when i use part number on google it shows engine oil o line ring ! thanks
don95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 01:00 AM   #382
bradleyg
unregistered user

My Ride: '02 325ci
Use realoem.com to look up parts. I'm not totally sure what you're looking for... the oil filter gasket (housing cover? if that's what you want) uses a large rubber o-ring.

Are you looking for #10 or #4 in this pic?:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...01#32411093596
bradleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:42 PM   #383
jman330

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Great link thank you for making this

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using E46Fanatics mobile app_nr_
jman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 03:43 PM   #384
jman330

My Ride: 2004 330ci
Great link thanks for making this. It helped me a lot!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using E46Fanatics mobile app_nr_
jman330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:53 AM   #385
RobH94

My Ride: 2004 BMW 325i [M54]
Hello all,

I am new to this forum, but I have used this thread as a reference to all of my recent repairs. GREAT THREAD, as it has already been determined!

I'm hoping someone could help me with my oil leak issue for my 2004 325i [M54 Engine]. I've basically gone down the list of common oil leak causes. And I must add that each of these repairs were in fact MUCH needed. Here is what I've replaced so far:

-Oil filter housing gasket
-VANOS Line w/ new washers
-Valve cover gasket
-Entire PCV breather system (oil separator & hoses) including all new gaskets/o-rings
-Power Steering reservoir w/ all new hoses & clamps
-All new Power Steering pressure hoses & return hoses

AND IT STILL LEAKS OIL
I've cleaned the underneath of the vehicle, drove it around town & returned to the garage and let it idle. As I let the car idle, I inspect from underneath where the oil could possibly be coming from, but I am unable to find any sign of oil running down the engine block. Although, as the car idles it will accumulate a small puddle of oil.

Any idea of what I should be looking at? Maybe some of the replacement parts aren't quite seated? Although I've seen no signs of oil coming from these replacement parts.

I'm certain that the drips are coming from the middle of the engine bay, more or less from underneath the intake manifold area.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,
Rob

Last edited by RobH94; 02-19-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Adding Make & Model of vehicle
RobH94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:14 PM   #386
turnerk2

My Ride: 02 325i
Oil pan gasket maybe.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:23 AM   #387
RobH94

Okay, so I finally broke down and took the car into the BMW dealer. Of course I was given this huge list of things that need replaced on the car, and was criticized on how I had replaced some of the other parts. (Go figure) I know I'm obviously not some BMW wizard, but I'm also not an uneducated hilljack thinking I'm working on some lawn mower. (Sorry for the brief rant)

ANYWAY, the parts that I've replaced have been done correctly and have no issues. The one helpful thing I was told at the dealership was that overtime the Valve Cover will actually warp. Often times, this is where people assume it is the valve cover gasket that is causing the issue. I wasn't exactly certain at first, but it seems to be an understandable cause. Has anyone else been told this?
Old 02-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #388
jetblackcookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobH94 View Post
Okay, so I finally broke down and took the car into the BMW dealer. Of course I was given this huge list of things that need replaced on the car, and was criticized on how I had replaced some of the other parts. (Go figure) I know I'm obviously not some BMW wizard, but I'm also not an uneducated hilljack thinking I'm working on some lawn mower. (Sorry for the brief rant)

ANYWAY, the parts that I've replaced have been done correctly and have no issues. The one helpful thing I was told at the dealership was that overtime the Valve Cover will actually warp. Often times, this is where people assume it is the valve cover gasket that is causing the issue. I wasn't exactly certain at first, but it seems to be an understandable cause. Has anyone else been told this?

My father is a mechanic of 40+ years; he told me that the valve cover will warp if it isn't properly bolted down. I'm not sure if this means all valve covers will warp over time (assuming you have all the nuts fastened)
jetblackcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:07 AM   #389
RobH94

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcookie View Post
My father is a mechanic of 40+ years; he told me that the valve cover will warp if it isn't properly bolted down. I'm not sure if this means all valve covers will warp over time (assuming you have all the nuts fastened)
When I first purchased the car , there were actually 2 missing valve cover nuts. I just recently bought new ones, so there are no missing nuts. I'm starting to think this might be a legitimate factor. I haven't gotten a chance to look towards the back of the valve cover for possible leaks, but I do know that there is no sign of leaks from the front & sides of the valve cover.

Thanks for the response!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:46 PM   #390
Pancho328i

My Ride: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerk2 View Post
Oil pan gasket maybe.
+1. Of course.. this must be it. It is one of those things that eventually go bad in all E46's. And it is a massive pain to change too. Probably not for the home mechanic. I had it done rather than do it myself.

Pancho328i
Old 03-05-2017, 08:15 PM   #391
Josh (PA)

My Ride: e36 m3c, e39 540iT
Hi all,

I have this thread bookmarked and refer to it often. I have a 'new' oil leak that is getting on the lower section of the exhaust and smoking off that I hope you can help me with.

I know I have a oil pan gasket leak, but I am maintaining it via the preventative "add oil monthly" approach because replacing the oil pan gasket on x-drive cars seems ridiculous.

Per Pelican:
"The oil pan on rear-wheel drive E46 models is very different from the all-wheel drive model. On the all-wheel drive E46, the front differential is bolted to the side of the oil pan, and the right side front drive axle goes through the oil pan. In order to remove the oil pan, it is necessary to dismantle the front subframe and suspension of the vehicle, remove the front drive axles and detach the front differential and right axle inner bearing pedestal from the oil pan."

I also had a VCG leak, but a couple months ago I replaced my valve cover gasket and that area is clean and leak free. All seems good there. *There is NO oil on the upper portion of the exhaust manifold or engine area above the manifold like shown in the pictures on the first page*

Somewhat recently I've started smelling burnt oil through the heater vents and generally around the car. I kept checking the VCG area, assuming it was coming from there, but that is clean and no oil is getting on the top side of the exhaust manifold.

Tonight I found that oil is coming out below the exhaust manifold and pooling in the very back passenger corner of the heat shielding below the exhaust port. Any idea where the source would be? No codes... actually the car is running really well other than the smell. I tried to get better pictures of the area, but it was dark and getting the camera to focus exactly where I wanted it to was a challenge. I will try to get better pics this week.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I love the resources on this site and use it religiously to keep my e46 running as well as possible.

* 2003 325xiT autotragic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil leak.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	651137  
Josh (PA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:50 PM   #392
M3nthusiast

My Ride: schoolbus
Send a message via AIM to M3nthusiast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Hi all,

I have this thread bookmarked and refer to it often. I have a 'new' oil leak that is getting on the lower section of the exhaust and smoking off that I hope you can help me with.

I know I have a oil pan gasket leak, but I am maintaining it via the preventative "add oil monthly" approach because replacing the oil pan gasket on x-drive cars seems ridiculous.

Per Pelican:

"The oil pan on rear-wheel drive E46 models is very different from the all-wheel drive model. On the all-wheel drive E46, the front differential is bolted to the side of the oil pan, and the right side front drive axle goes through the oil pan. In order to remove the oil pan, it is necessary to dismantle the front subframe and suspension of the vehicle, remove the front drive axles and detach the front differential and right axle inner bearing pedestal from the oil pan."

I also had a VCG leak, but a couple months ago I replaced my valve cover gasket and that area is clean and leak free. All seems good there. *There is NO oil on the upper portion of the exhaust manifold or engine area above the manifold like shown in the pictures on the first page*

Somewhat recently I've started smelling burnt oil through the heater vents and generally around the car. I kept checking the VCG area, assuming it was coming from there, but that is clean and no oil is getting on the top side of the exhaust manifold.

Tonight I found that oil is coming out below the exhaust manifold and pooling in the very back passenger corner of the heat shielding below the exhaust port. Any idea where the source would be? No codes... actually the car is running really well other than the smell. I tried to get better pictures of the area, but it was dark and getting the camera to focus exactly where I wanted it to was a challenge. I will try to get better pics this week.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I love the resources on this site and use it religiously to keep my e46 running as well as possible.

Hi Josh, did you ever find the issue to the exhaust oil burn?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M3nthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 06:12 PM   #393
alsxe10

My Ride: 05 330i zhp
OFHG... looks like it's going to be a long weekend for me
alsxe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #394
AboveDaRim

My Ride: 318i
HELP! E46 Coolant leak

Can anyone identify this leak?! It's a 99 e46 underneath the car roughly in the centre just behind the oil pan. It seems to leak only when the car is off. It drips but quite significantly I have to top up on coolant roughly twice a week. I've noticed the heater isn't really working either?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20170513-110745.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	654911   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170513_102932.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	654912  
AboveDaRim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 02:00 AM   #395
Pocket Rocket

My Ride: 1999 323i
Could be almost anything since the leaking oil will flow down hill and get blown to the back of the motor. VC gasket, VC warped, oil pan are likely suspects. The e46 318 is not common here in the US so I'm not sure what the configuration of your oil filter housing, vanos oil line or crankcase vent system is. Count me as one of the people with a warped VC. I didn't want to believe that so I replaced the gasket a couple of times to no avail until I bit the bullet and bought a new valve cover and voila, no more leak. The coolant leak is likely a separate issue.

Last edited by Pocket Rocket; 05-15-2017 at 02:04 AM.
Pocket Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #396
jmo69

My Ride: 03 325xi 98 328is
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveDaRim View Post
Can anyone identify this leak?! It's a 99 e46 underneath the car roughly in the centre just behind the oil pan. It seems to leak only when the car is off. It drips but quite significantly I have to top up on coolant roughly twice a week. I've noticed the heater isn't really working either?
Could be one of the heater hose connections at the fire wall, pull the cabin filter housing to check them.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:46 AM   #397
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh (PA) View Post
Hi all,

Per Pelican:

It still is very likely the VCG. You can have a pinch or some other obstruction from when you installed the VCG. Or you can have a warped VC. I've seen both instances, sometimes combined. Sometimes you can have a leak at the rear corner which is extremely hard to detect, even if you run a finger or a cloth or a flash light around the perimeter. I would triple check this and use only Genuine BMW valve cover gaskets only--absolutely no exceptions--ever
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 09:53 AM   #398
Mango
e46mango.com

My Ride: Lexus
You can also make sure any plugs, caps, etc are tight at the back. Pic for reference, courtesy from google/Pei330ci (he has great pics of the engine) looks like there's 3 caps (not sure if they're for anti-freeze or not but still check if you can) and a allen/torx head type screw plug. Worth checking out. Other than that not much back there that could cause a leak except VCG. preparation, cleaning, proper sealant application (assuming a straight VC and genuine BMW VCG)

Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:01 AM   #399
Fox Fader

My Ride: '05 325i
Funny I see this pic, I was just telling a co-worker with an 08 that I wish I had just cherry picked the engine and tranny and did everything at once. May have took me more than a month, but it'd be worth it.

10 Ford GT 401a 5sp 17k miles
17 High-Ball Matte Nuclear Sunset Orange
11 KLR 650
07 Tuono Factory
03 F150 STX Lightning replica
11 Kia Sorento SX (wife's)

Slammin Tunes
Fox Fader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #400
veli510

My Ride: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AboveDaRim View Post
it's most likely leaking at the firewall. there is two hoses for the heater core. you need to take out the cabin filter and the compartment where the cabin filter sits in. you should change those hoses soon or it will bust and car will overheat and you will or may damage the head gasket.

you don't want that to happen.
veli510 is offline   Reply With Quote