E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dynavin info......D99 (new for 2012)

409K views 922 replies 208 participants last post by  325TI_Compact 
#1 · (Edited)
Code:
Dynavin D99

Here we go.... Just like the threads I started in the past, Im starting an official Dynavin D99 thread since these new units are now out and shipping. Ill be adding to and filling out this post over the next few days and weeks.

This thread is for D99 questions and info only. In order to keep info clear and accessible for future readers PLEASE try to keep opinions, speculations, and other unrelated discussion out of this thread.

If you have a question or concern that does not relate to the new D99 units please search or post in one of the existing Dynavin threads.

Dynavin D95 (V6) thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=881796&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin D90 (V5) thread: (The Big One!) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin Android Thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753
Android Development thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=892583
D99 Pre-release speculation thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=886222

New for 2012 Dynavin has released the D99 Navigation system for selected BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and VW cars. This unit will compliment their existing D95 units as a higher end model. While some things are carry over from the the D95 units, the new D99 will offer some features that have not previously been available from Dynavin. They have teamed with Parrot for the bluetooth system, have added an interface with the cars OBC, and have added Park Distance sensor support for cars so equipped.

The Android/WinCE "navigation side" of the units is unchanged.

Now for the good stuff....(will be adding content, for now here is a video of a D99 WinCE unit in action)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2S2iBKPwFQ&list=UU6rH4vNH5VlWKqz6sbnPhag&index=1&feature=plcp

Whats in the Box

USB Extension
ipod cable
bluetooth mic
wire harness
RCA input harness
RCA output harness
Remote
Antenna adapters
ibus interface box
gps antenna

Pretty much the same as the D95s, everything you need for a basic install. As before, cars with oem Nav require the "fakra cable kit" to extend all of the connections to the trunk as nav cars radios are actually in the trunk.

Source Selection Home Screen

There are two screens here, you can "swipe" the screen back and forth, the (probably) most common sources (radio, ipod, phone, etc) are on page one with the less common sources (USB, TV, etc) on page 2. You can also access the settings from here. I like the large clear buttons, it makes finding a source while driving quite a bit easier.

Settings Screen

As in the past the Dynavin has a fairly simple audio feature set, no fancy 32 band EQs or time alignment here....similar to stock, bass, treble, fader, balance. It does have a separate sub level control for the subwoofer RCA outputs for those running aftermarket subs.

One thing to point out in these menus as it is often missed.... the "DIM" function affects how the screen dims for night driving, you active this by HOLDING down the MUTE button, changing the DIM setting makes the screen dim or shut off completely depending on your preference.

Radio

The new radio interface is all big, clear, easy to press, touch screen buttons. The white text on a black background is also good for visibility. The radio can be configured to tune in US, Euro, or Asian frequencies. Pretty much works as expected.

Bluetooth

Dynavin has teamed with Parrot on the bluetooth. This adds phonebook functionality to the unit. It paired with my iphone within seconds and my phonbook was there and ready to use a few seconds after that, no need to do anything extra, it was just there. There is a keyboard for alphabetical search, you just start to type and once you are a few letters in you should see the contact that you are looking for. As far as quality goes, that is up to your mic location, your phone, your voice, how loud your car is, and a bunch of other variables. I personally had pretty good results putting the mic in the factory location but your results may vary.

Bluetooth streaming works as it has on previous dynavin units, although now with a slightly better layout of play/stop/track controls.

Hint: If there are multiple numbers for a contact you can press the number and it will cycle through the other numbers.

Hint: if you find it hard to select the contact at the very top edge of the screen you can do a screen calibration by selecting AUX as the source, and holding down the 8 button on the remote.

iPod

The ipod interface is an improvement over past dynavin versions but isnt perfect. It DOES have the ipod resume feature missing in the older units. So when you start your car, the ipod will start where you left off. As you can see in the video and pic above there are page forward and back buttons, and the menu button goes back a level. Holding down the menu button jumps back to the playlist/artist/album/etc... screen. While you can page forward and back there is no "alphabetical" search so if you have A LOT of artists it could be problematic, I have a couple hundred on my ipod and it isnt a problem but I can imagine it would get tedious if you had a thousand... If this is a problem for you consider getting an android unit and use the android media player and a SD card for you music instead as it DOES allow for more rapid scrolling.....

CD/DVD

SD/USB

The CD player and SD/USB digital interface are carry over from the D95 units and just like in the D95 they are cosmetically different than the other sources. That said, the SD/USB does require a different type of interface as it is folder dependent. I havent tested it yet to see if it has any limitations in levels of folder navigation, number of files etc...

Navigation WinCE

This is a screen shot of a WinCE unit running the Sygic Drive navigation program (a licensed copy comes with the units we sell but this may vary by dealer). The WinCE units will run any number of WinCE compatible nav programs, iGo Primo is a popular one here among the forum members, there are other threads dedicated to those other programs.

Navigation Android

The Nav setup on an android unit is totally different......read the original android thread for details, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753 and if you dont you do so at your own risk!

to be continued.....

See less See more
#560 ·
If only I had discovered these threads before I went ahead and bought a D99 from an Australian reseller. I have a 330Ci Convertible built in 2000. I had the business head unit with TV (and 6CD stacker and radio) in boot, but no satnav. I bought the 5m Fakra at purchase as well as the digital TV option. The install went very well until I went to hook up the Fakra socket to the plug in the boot. The Fakra socket has flat pins, the socket in the boot are round. Jeff? I have spent an hour reading through all the posts, you probably know the answer. Can I splice the wires directly so I don't have to do the whole install again with the correct Fakra. Will the steering wheel control remotely work? I'll send photo's if anyone interested. I am stupid for trusting that the dealer would send the right stuff, installing , THEN discovering the mismatch.

#561 ·
If only I had discovered these threads before I went ahead and bought a D99 from an Australian reseller...
Hi Winchart,

I have the same problem with my 01' 330XI.

The connector with round contacts is the old BMW radio connector, the one with flat contacts is the new one.

I had difficulties to find an adapter from new cable to old radio. The adapter BMW to ISO connector don't have the I-Bus wire, this wire is for steering wheel control .

I made my own adapter with different adapters I bought.

On the 5m harness there is 10 wires you must use. Flat contacts 1 to 16, except 10 & 11. They must connect to round contacts 1 to 16, except 4 & 10 on your BMW connector. See pictures

Attachments

#563 · (Edited)
Thank you so much for your help. I will get out the soldering iron and give this a go tomorrow, I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks again :thumbsup:
On my BMW round connector, the "12V Illumination 58g" orange wire is not connected to contact 13.
If you have the same problem, you can connect this wire to "12V accessories" contact 5.

The better solution is to connect this wire to the blue connector, contact 1, in your dashboard. I didn't try this. But you can check this contact when you turn you light on and use the instrument light dimmer.

#564 ·
Fakra Mod for 2000 330Ci Convertible

So this is what I intend to do. I am using the line out RCA's from the D99 through to an 4x amp and sub amp I have mounted in the trunk. I replaced my door speakers and installed a sub some years ago. Sounds amazing! I am going to try using just the pinouts you supplied and see if it all works OK. I'll post some pics.

Attachments

#565 ·
All the above advice is good but simplify things a bit and just cut the plug off the end of the fakra and splice on the round pin plug that came with your dynavin. Since you have an amp you can ignore the speaker wiring and just do the power and ibus wires.

#567 · (Edited)
Jeff, just wanted to say thanks for all the information you put out there for everyone to use. My brother bough a WinCE D99 last week. We received it yesterday and installed it that night. I didn't want to since I was so tired, but got it done anyway. He was so impatient I didn't get a chance to find all your walkthroughs. But I was able to figure it out. Now we are just getting the settings to where he wants them. Almost there, lol. But so far, every question my brother has had, I've found somewhere in this thread. Thanks for all your tech support.

Edit: Hmm...so here is a quick question for you that I can't seem to find an answer for. Whenever switching from Park to Drive or vice versa, the screen will go blank. I am assuming it is because the car is going through the reverse gear (brother has an auto transmission) and is trying to access the rear view camera? Is this correct? If so, is there a way to deactivate that? My brother will get one eventually, but for now it is unnecessary.

Thanks!

#568 ·
Yes, the unit is switching to the reverse camera/PDC mode. If you have neither you can remove that feature from the ibus box by reflashing the box. Contact the dealer that the unit came from and ask to remove the PDC/reverse function from the ibus box and they (or I) will send you a little computer program to reflash.

#569 ·
We got it from your site. But here's another question for you. If we reflash it so that it will not do this, we would have to reflash it again down the line if he chooses to add a camera? If that's the case then I'll tell him to live with it, since he is planning on adding that at some point down the line.

#570 ·
correct, if he intends to add it later he should just leave it alone.

#574 · (Edited)
Hi there, i'm from malaysia.

just bought D99 from local dealer few weeks a go.

So far so good. I'm more than happy with D99 WIN CE. Much better than my old school OEM sat nav.

Mine come with asian map, they give PAPAGO Gps software. But the issue is when using gps,the unit quite lagging and slow. Can change other gps software? like garmin or IGo? if yes where can i download them? its for Win CE btw

thanks in advance

#578 ·
Just got the Dynavin 99 installed today but I have a problem. The bluetooth will not turn on at all on the headunit. I have an android unit. Other than this problem everything is working fine. Any suggestions would be helpful.

I have read on the forums that there seems to be a 24% failure rate on the units regarding bluetooth. Does that sound correct? Would I just have to return the headunit for an exchange?

Thanks, Brad

#579 ·
answered on the other thread.....24%???? what are you talking about!?

#581 · (Edited)
I just installed my Dynavin D99 and am having issues with video input. I am trying to install this rearview camera: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/2009_Car_Entertainment/CCD-2000. I have connected both this camera and a camcorder to the camera input and the auxiliary input. With both connections I just get a white screen. I have confirmed that both work by connecting them to my tv. Anyone have an idea why I am just getting a white screen instead of the video.

edit: This may have been my fault. I have a convertable and while I was in the settings menu I may have turned the brightness up thinking it would make the display brighter. Instead it turned the video brightness up and washed out the video.

#582 ·
Hi! I'm having an issue with my D99 WinCE.... I have rear PDC, and no camera installed...
The 'OBC' comes up when i reverse as it should, but i get no sound from the unit! I've changed it in the 'hidden' settings-menu, and also tried resetting the unit once... I got sound twice when i set it in reverse after reset, but now the sound is gone... Everything else on the unit works 100% :)

#585 · (Edited)
I dont know if this has been happening to everyone or just me.

But lets say I am listening to music using the bluetooth on the D99. I put the car in reverse, and back to drive. The D99 unit then switches to the radio all by itself.

Same thing happens if I am listening to music on the android music player. Lets say I am parking the car while listening to music on the android music player. And as soon as I take the car out of reverse. The D99 unit starts playing music from the radio. It never continues playing music from where ever it was before reversing.

I remember just a little while ago it wasn't doing that. It started doing this recently. Any fixes to this issue?

#586 ·
First off, a shout to Jeff who replaced my defective Dynavin unit (1 day return time, WOW!! :yikes:)

Anyways, I have a question that I have looked for and haven't found a good answer to. I have a rear view camera that I intend to install. I already ran the wire from the Dynavin to the rear quarter panel on my 01 X5. It is connected to the CAMERA input and ready to go. I wanted to know if it was possible to connect the camera to a switched power instead of the reverse light, so that when I reverse it, the camera will function normally, but if at any other time I wish to look at the camera, I can simply see it from my screen when I hit the camera button (There is a camera button right?)

Please let me know if that is an option that is doable.

#587 ·
Yes you can do that (I did it on my last car), the only downside is you may eventually kill your camera as they are not really intended to be run continuously.

#588 ·
I need help! I got the Dynavin e46 D90 platform and I can't get the Nav set up. It keeps telling me that there is no network. I can't seem to tether my Dynavin to my iphone 4.

The Dynavin shows T-Mobile with no new notifications. Does that mean I have to get a T-Mobile account for the Dynavin? Is there a way that I can connect it to AT&T which is my cell phone carrier?

#590 ·
Ah the Dreaded Typo

I have the D99 platform, versus the D90, as I fat fingered my original message.

Retailer replied back and said that I needed to purchase a map. I-go seems to the map of choice. Found a reseller but can't seem to get it to download to my micro-SD card.

I am going to try sticking the micro-SD card in the D99 and have the D99 format the card. Maybe then the software will recognize the micro-SD card and see that it is for a D99.

Hopefully that works. Either that or my wife is going to insist that I perforate my brain housing group.

#591 ·
Can someone please tell me the correct wire to snip and where to snip it to stop making my D99 cut the music when reverse gear and my backup camera are engaged??
It's driving me crazy because when you use the Android side to play music and reverse is engaged you then have to press the nav button several times to get audio back :-(

#592 ·
I agree. It's annoying as hell.

Frankly I am not impressed with the Dynavin overall. We spend all that money to buy the darn thing and then you gotta waste a bunch more time getting it set-up and configured. And why can't they throw in some maps for free? When you buy a Garmin, you don't have to go out and buy the maps so that you can use it.

#593 · (Edited)
The dealer you buy from has a lot to do with how your experience goes, your complaints are primarily the result of your dealer, the units we sell have maps included and the basics are already configured, and there is a setup guide and FAQ on our website.

Can someone please tell me the correct wire to snip and where to snip it to stop making my D99 cut the music when reverse gear and my backup camera are engaged??
It's driving me crazy because when you use the Android side to play music and reverse is engaged you then have to press the nav button several times to get audio back :-(
You can reprogram the ibus box to remove the reverse features. Contact your dealer....

#613 ·
The dealer you buy from has a lot to do with how your experience goes, your complaints are primarily the result of your dealer, the units we sell have maps included and the basics are already configured, and there is a setup guide and FAQ on our website.

You can reprogram the ibus box to remove the reverse features. Contact your dealer....
Not an option with my dealer, not something he will entertain.

There has to be another way surely?

#594 ·
Really? Do you sell the i-Go maps for the Dynavin?

When I try to setup the wireless connection, it gives me an error message and says that it can't scan for networks. I had the unit professionally installed (cost me over $800 because of the previous owner's crap) and I wondered if they had left out the Wifi dongle But from looking at your installation pictures and seeing the wireless dongle, it is hard to imagine that the installers would have left that out.

Can you give me any ideas on how to trouble shoot it? The people that I bought it from want me to ship the unit back to them so that they can test it to see if the unit is defective. Or they want to swap my android unit for a non-android unit. I am not sure that I trust these guys since they haven't been very helpful.