E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Dynavin info......D99 (new for 2012)

409K views 922 replies 208 participants last post by  325TI_Compact 
#1 · (Edited)
Code:
Dynavin D99

Here we go.... Just like the threads I started in the past, Im starting an official Dynavin D99 thread since these new units are now out and shipping. Ill be adding to and filling out this post over the next few days and weeks.

This thread is for D99 questions and info only. In order to keep info clear and accessible for future readers PLEASE try to keep opinions, speculations, and other unrelated discussion out of this thread.

If you have a question or concern that does not relate to the new D99 units please search or post in one of the existing Dynavin threads.

Dynavin D95 (V6) thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=881796&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin D90 (V5) thread: (The Big One!) http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=793437&highlight=dynavin
Dynavin Android Thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753
Android Development thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=892583
D99 Pre-release speculation thread: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=886222

New for 2012 Dynavin has released the D99 Navigation system for selected BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and VW cars. This unit will compliment their existing D95 units as a higher end model. While some things are carry over from the the D95 units, the new D99 will offer some features that have not previously been available from Dynavin. They have teamed with Parrot for the bluetooth system, have added an interface with the cars OBC, and have added Park Distance sensor support for cars so equipped.

The Android/WinCE "navigation side" of the units is unchanged.

Now for the good stuff....(will be adding content, for now here is a video of a D99 WinCE unit in action)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2S2iBKPwFQ&list=UU6rH4vNH5VlWKqz6sbnPhag&index=1&feature=plcp

Whats in the Box

USB Extension
ipod cable
bluetooth mic
wire harness
RCA input harness
RCA output harness
Remote
Antenna adapters
ibus interface box
gps antenna

Pretty much the same as the D95s, everything you need for a basic install. As before, cars with oem Nav require the "fakra cable kit" to extend all of the connections to the trunk as nav cars radios are actually in the trunk.

Source Selection Home Screen

There are two screens here, you can "swipe" the screen back and forth, the (probably) most common sources (radio, ipod, phone, etc) are on page one with the less common sources (USB, TV, etc) on page 2. You can also access the settings from here. I like the large clear buttons, it makes finding a source while driving quite a bit easier.

Settings Screen

As in the past the Dynavin has a fairly simple audio feature set, no fancy 32 band EQs or time alignment here....similar to stock, bass, treble, fader, balance. It does have a separate sub level control for the subwoofer RCA outputs for those running aftermarket subs.

One thing to point out in these menus as it is often missed.... the "DIM" function affects how the screen dims for night driving, you active this by HOLDING down the MUTE button, changing the DIM setting makes the screen dim or shut off completely depending on your preference.

Radio

The new radio interface is all big, clear, easy to press, touch screen buttons. The white text on a black background is also good for visibility. The radio can be configured to tune in US, Euro, or Asian frequencies. Pretty much works as expected.

Bluetooth

Dynavin has teamed with Parrot on the bluetooth. This adds phonebook functionality to the unit. It paired with my iphone within seconds and my phonbook was there and ready to use a few seconds after that, no need to do anything extra, it was just there. There is a keyboard for alphabetical search, you just start to type and once you are a few letters in you should see the contact that you are looking for. As far as quality goes, that is up to your mic location, your phone, your voice, how loud your car is, and a bunch of other variables. I personally had pretty good results putting the mic in the factory location but your results may vary.

Bluetooth streaming works as it has on previous dynavin units, although now with a slightly better layout of play/stop/track controls.

Hint: If there are multiple numbers for a contact you can press the number and it will cycle through the other numbers.

Hint: if you find it hard to select the contact at the very top edge of the screen you can do a screen calibration by selecting AUX as the source, and holding down the 8 button on the remote.

iPod

The ipod interface is an improvement over past dynavin versions but isnt perfect. It DOES have the ipod resume feature missing in the older units. So when you start your car, the ipod will start where you left off. As you can see in the video and pic above there are page forward and back buttons, and the menu button goes back a level. Holding down the menu button jumps back to the playlist/artist/album/etc... screen. While you can page forward and back there is no "alphabetical" search so if you have A LOT of artists it could be problematic, I have a couple hundred on my ipod and it isnt a problem but I can imagine it would get tedious if you had a thousand... If this is a problem for you consider getting an android unit and use the android media player and a SD card for you music instead as it DOES allow for more rapid scrolling.....

CD/DVD

SD/USB

The CD player and SD/USB digital interface are carry over from the D95 units and just like in the D95 they are cosmetically different than the other sources. That said, the SD/USB does require a different type of interface as it is folder dependent. I havent tested it yet to see if it has any limitations in levels of folder navigation, number of files etc...

Navigation WinCE

This is a screen shot of a WinCE unit running the Sygic Drive navigation program (a licensed copy comes with the units we sell but this may vary by dealer). The WinCE units will run any number of WinCE compatible nav programs, iGo Primo is a popular one here among the forum members, there are other threads dedicated to those other programs.

Navigation Android

The Nav setup on an android unit is totally different......read the original android thread for details, http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=839753 and if you dont you do so at your own risk!

to be continued.....

See less See more
#817 ·
Hey guys...long time follower but a new member to this forum..got a few questions regarding the dynavin d99 wince head unit i just purchased from Jeff..
i'm a mac user and it seems like naviextras only run on PC, so downloading the toolbox or any kind of update would be impossible since there is no option for mac specs..any solution or alternatives to this? the only thing i can think of is purchasing a parallel program so i can run windows on my mac..or if any of you kind folks can recommend a nav sd that works excellent on the unit.

#818 ·
Folks, I've got what some might consider some pretty basic questions, but I've scrolled through a lot of the forums and threads and have been unable to find answers so far. Hoping some of the knowledgeable people here can either answer, or steer me in the right direction. I have a 2001 E46 M3 and I'm looking to get the Dynavin E46 D99 installed to replace the original head-unit.
I've heard that the OBC data will only display on the Dynavin if your car has CAN-BUS. Is this an accurate statement? If so, how do I determine whether my vehicle has CAN-BUS, K-BUS or something else? I've also noticed on other forums various people talking about clones for the Dynavin unit. Is there any quick way to tell? Certainly what I've been told in HK is an original unit, compares well to what I can see on the many photos uploaded on the forum. But there are slight differences, like the microphone appearing to the left of the cd-slot at the top of the unit, or slightly different writing for the SD-card ports towards the base of the unit. Living this close to Shenzhen, you're always wary of knock-offs from across the border.

#819 · (Edited)
All E46s have a ibus, its not really relevant though. The dynavin will display whatever info is available on the ibus, this varies by car and equipment level. The OBC readout screen is a fairly minor feature on the dynavin. Interesting but not all that useful to most....

The "clones" are not clones, they are a competing, different brand. They dont look really look the same.....they both fit an E46 so they are similar in that respect, but in the details are different, look at the buttons, the layout, etc... The dynavins come in a dynavin box, says dynavin all over it, startup screen says Dynavin on it, etc....

Just go to one of the dynaivn dealers listed on dynavins website, im pretty sure there is an HK one listed on there.

#820 ·
Thanks for the info Jeff.

Agreed it's not the most interesting data, it was more a way for me to determine whether or not this guy was spinning me a line. He is apparently an authorised dealer, but while the main buttons and dials are in the right place, little things just look different. Microphone and RST holes either side of the CD-slot, rather than at the base of the unit near the dials. Smooth, slightly shiny finish, rather than the more textured matt finish to match the other interior trim. User Manual looks like a nicely photo-copied booklet titled "Multi-Media Entertainment User Manual", doesn't mention Dynavin or have Dynavin branding anywhere on it. The language barrier here isn't always the easiest, so all the other litle differences and then the claim the OBC data won't display.........just trying to be cautious over here in HK.

#821 ·
yeah........its not a dynavin.

buyer beware I guess......

#822 ·
Jeff,

Thanks for your help mate, you're bloody generous with your time and knowledge.

Turns out my suspsicions and your confirmation were spot on. After much searching I found the below link to the product they were trying to pass off as Dynavin. Looks nearly identical except for a few small differences and no doubt comes out of a factory about 100 meters down the road from the Dynavin factory in Shenzhen.

Thanks again,

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale...MW-E46-Old-3-Series-Car-Stereo-with-Bluetooth

#826 · (Edited)
Phonebook and Radio

Hi guys,

Read like 30 pages or so in this thread and did not solve my issues.
Hope someone can help me.

Got a D99 yesterday.

Installed it but:

1... Pair with my iPhone5 but no contact book seams to be sync.
I can call ppl from my phone, or type the number but no book?
Is it ios6.+ or something I'm missing?
2... I cant move to the second screen got the symbols for next screen (Arrows) press one the screen shake a little bit (2mm) but no new one appears.
The one with AUX USB, etc Can't get that screen? Strange....
3... My Radio antenna need extra power, but I can't see where to get that extra power cable? I used the Amp con for the filterbox because of annoying hiss sound.
4... The WiFi in GPS USB or in the DVD USB (what is DVD Usb? strange name)

Thanx

#828 ·
Hi guys,

2... I cant move to the second screen got the symbols for next screen (Arrows) press one the screen shake a little bit (2mm) but no new one appears.
"swipe" the screen to the side...

#827 ·
Originally posted by rockjohan
Phonebook and Radio
Hi guys,

Read like 30 pages or so in this thread and did not solve my issues.
Hope someone can help me.

Got a D99 yesterday.

Installed it but:

1... Pair with my iPhone5 but no contact book seams to be sync.
I can call ppl from my phone, or type the number but no book?
Is it ios6.+ or something I'm missing?
3... My Radio antenna need extra power, but I can't see where to get that extra power cable? I used the Amp con for the filterbox because of annoying hiss sound.
4... The WiFi in GPS USB or in the DVD USB (what is DVD Usb? strange name)

Thanx
Iam not an expert but my phone book didnt appear until i press an intial
and then the page with the corresponding letters will appear.

As for the USB Iam using the GPS USB for Wifi and it works fine, the DVD USB is used for films or music.
I hope this is of some help to you. :thumbup:

#830 · (Edited)
If it didnt sound right you probably needed to change the AMP setting in the factory settings menu, I never hear any complaints about SQ, although lots of people say it sounds better so if it didnt sound right its either a setting or something is wrong with that unit.

No the D99+ does not have any of those things you describe, I think you are a bit mixed up about the differences. The old original dynaivns from 4 years ago had symbols on the buttons....

#831 ·
oooh ok. Damn I took it out. So increase the AMP will make better sound more punch in the bass less high frequent sound?
I got hurt in my ears like if there was a sound-level I can't hear (you know like using a dog whistle and you can feel it but not hear it. That feeling about the standard sound).

So the neew look is the one with tvo mem-slots on the front one for Nav and the other one for Mp3 etc?
Like this pic:
http://ottonavi.com/sites/ottonavi....lightbox/public/images/product/tt_android.jpg

Best, RJ

#832 ·
well you are posting a pic of an audi tt....and this is a BMW 3 series forum so without knowing what kind of car you are talking about I cant really answer your question

.....but yes the E99+ units for most applications have 2 SD card slots: http://www.dynavin.com/products/product_dnv_e46.php

#836 ·
while I have a ton of dynavin experience I have zero TT experience, and I dont know who does. Its not a very common car here in the US, you might try some of the european forums where the car is more common. Good luck.

#839 ·
Here I am again, asking for some help from the experts.

I just got my D99+ installed on my 2005 e46 coupé.

When I have accessed the OBC menu, the voltage, oil temperature and engine temperature where shown with a "--". Has anyone found a way to solve this?

Thanks in advance!

#841 ·
I dont know any specific reason you would have trouble with the navigon app, ive used it in the past without issue but not recently, remove it and try again, pay close attention to the prompts as installing an offline nav app can be tricky as you install the app and often then install the maps separately, sometimes even download them on your computer.

#843 ·
I havent tried SDXC but I know they work fine with SDHC. That slots function is music and video only.

#844 · (Edited)
Starting to get fed up..

So, I'm currently testing the different formats that are acceptable for SD Card-based video (as I saw a 'Codec Not Supported' message this morning :rofl:), and am beginning to suspect that MP4 files are not usable.. :facepalm:

If that is really the case, I'm adding it to my list of 'knock-off' 'third-world-country' programming that I've come to see all too regularly since purchasing this overpriced PoS.. :banghead:

Can anyone tell me if there is a Windows-based firmware update yet to start fixing all the nuisances??? :help:

#869 ·
So, I'm currently testing the different formats that are acceptable for SD Card-based video (as I saw a 'Codec Not Supported' message this morning :rofl:), and am beginning to suspect that MP4 files are not usable.. :facepalm:

If that is really the case, I'm adding it to my list of 'knock-off' 'third-world-country' programming that I've come to see all too regularly since purchasing this overpriced PoS.. :banghead:

Can anyone tell me if there is a Windows-based firmware update yet to start fixing all the nuisances??? :help:
i have many music clips on my dynavin , it must be mp4 ( ipad ) then it will work

#845 · (Edited)
I rounded up all the video files I could find on my computer, .avi, .mpg, .mpeg extensions worked. .mp4 did not. Im not enough of a computer guy to know more than that but its what i could figure out with the files I had on hand. I would like to have a more definitive answer for you but frankly there are too many variables to answer with much confidence, plus few people use the SD card for video so there is little to no customer feedback on it.

Keep in mind, its a car stereo, not a computer. The "WinCE" designation only applies to to the part of the unit running the navigation program, the rest of it is car radio/DVD based hardware.

#846 ·
Hey Guys

I have a Dynavin D99 Win Ce in my R32 for the last few months and everything was working great till 2 days ago. The Nav/GPS isn't working, it keep searching for satellites. I dont know if the GPS Sensor might be faulty. Any ideas on how to go about fixing the issue? Thanks Gents.

#847 ·
Check your gps antenna, its either loose, damaged, or dead. If its bad, contact your dealer for a replacement.

#848 ·
Jeff

I got the dynavin from online. I checked the GPS antenna and it was installed nice and tight. im guessing its bad.

Can you please pm me the price for a replacement antenna? Thanks.