E46 Fanatics Forum banner

325xi Auto to 6 speed swap.

107K views 164 replies 59 participants last post by  b1czu 
#1 · (Edited)
Finally found a good deal on a used 03+ 330xi 6 speed transmission. At the moment I'm gathering parts for the swap, I'll update this thread with developments as they happen. For all the information not covered in this thread (pedals, wiring/etc) go to the official 5 speed swap thread

Parts:
-2003+ 330xi 6 speed Transmission

-6 speed JB Racing LTW Flywheel

-330xi Clutch Kit (I picked up a NIB ZHP Clutch - It doesn't share the same part number as the 330xi but from my research they are virtually identical)
-330xi Clutch release fork, clip and bushing (I like to replace these when I do a clutch)
-325xi Rear Main Seal (again just some PM)
-330xi Complete shifter linkage assembly (I got this all from the dealer with a z4 3.0 shifter, as I don't like how tall xi shifts sit- might need some modification to fit properly)
-Pedals and Hydraulics (I picked all this up used locally off a 01 325i as it isn't XI specific)
-Also picked up a nice illuminated 6 speed m3 shift boot/knob combo :)

Now I just have to see if that 6 speed box bolts up to my early transfer case *fingers crossed*

See less See more
#15 · (Edited)
Got some progress done today..

Yanked out the transfer case:

The meeting (my pretty southern transfer case & and the dirty northern 6 speed box (probably says words like pop and whatever northerners say- lol))
The idea was my transfer case is early model and nobody was sure whether it would bolt up to the late model 6 speed box)

Ran into two issues:
1. had to remove this little guy from my transfer case:

2. My factory bolts where 1/2" too long (just order ones that come off a 6 speed 330xi from the dealer)

Other than that, everything looks great

Next step was to see if my z4 3.0 (shorter overall height and throw than OEM) shifter would fit.. and the answer is probably not. I'll try bending the selector arm a bit, but will maybe have to go to a z4 2.5 shifter ( i don't like how tall OE xi shifters are)

I'll make my final call when I get the linkage installed (depending on the angle that it sits in the car it may just fit

Which brought be to my next problem:

the bracket that the shifter bushing snaps into is completely MIA on my car:

I emailed the guy who sold me the pedals and he said I could come remove that bracket from his parts car.. whew- hopefully I can get it welded on without too much trouble.

after a good bit of searching I found the part on realoem.. hopefully there is one in the country:
http://www.ecstuning.com/ES68831/ 41128246251

oh and FWIW torque convertor bolts are a PITA to remove from XIs (or maybe it was just my headers).
Going to try and drop the auto out of the car tomorrow :)

#22 ·
Keep up the great work....You'll have an amazing xi when complete!

Jealous. Making me miss my former 325xi 5 speed manual. It was sooo much fun in the snow! With a proper clutch pedal you can easily modulate the power / traction. With an automatic you can't disconnect the power from the wheels on a whim or vice versa.

Excited to see your completed work!

#25 · (Edited)
Awesome deal. I'm doing a 6apeed swap on mine aswell. I went with alot of UUC for parts. Im also Keeping my 3.46 but have a spare 3.07 diff now, I just wanted the 6 bolt input flange to fit the 330ci driveshaft. Can't wait to finish it and actually take advantage of my SC.
Good luck with your swap :hi:

#27 · (Edited)
Nah, there are usually springs in the clutch disk to make clutch engagement/slip a little smoother (a clutch actually shudders when it begins to grab). I've ran a similar setup before and didn't mind it, just requires a little more attention to allow for smooth transitions.

#29 ·
Redbull.....one observation & please don't flame me on this, just my opinion & you may already be correct..BUT....If the pressure plate is mounted with 'stock' OEM screws (bolts), I would recommend replacing them now with 8.8 grade bolts (black) Chris keeps these in stock. Ask me how I know to change these. :>) been there before & so has Chris.

#33 ·
Got some more work done today..

A little fyi, converting a 5 speed to a 6 speed clutch alignment tool:

Went to the dealer today to pick up my t/c bolts and to my surprise my bracket was there!!

and then it ended up on my forehead during installation :-/

(reminded me why I always wore a hat during car work)

Not the finest install job, but it was in there nice and tight... and that's what counts

At this point I could start messing with my z4 3.0 shifter. The shifter sat way too far forward, to the right and hit the transfer case, so I bent the linkage arm about as much as I felt comfortable:

Then I modified the shifter to straighten out the location of "neutral"

Overall I was VERY happy with how it came out (it's sitting in 3rd, ie a hair bit too far back by OE BMW standards, but i'm ok with that, feels natural to me):

That said one I reinstalled the transfer case things got very very tight between the bottom of the shifter and the transfer case, not sure if this will transmit NVH while driving.. I guess we'll see.

Here is a quick video of the shifting action (yeah yeah, go ahead and make fun of the way I shift- lol)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.