E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1M views 3K replies 571 participants last post by  se93 
#1 ·
I just received my BMW Scanner 1.4 (PA Soft) and love it! It installed easily and the scanner had no issues connecting and reading codes. I was also able to code the car to automatically roll the windows up by pressing and holding the lock button. Everything else was set the way I wanted, though I still might play around with the various features I can change.

I was disappointed that there is no manual ANYWHERE to explain how to use all the functions. This doesn't seem like something you want to play around with by trial and error. But it IS cool looking into the system to see what is going on.

I did the scan function when I hooked it up. It took a few minutes to go through and test every system and to identify what I had on the car, what wasn't on the car, what had a code and what didn't. Up til now I was reliant on AutoZone to read a code when I had issues. The only codes that were ever read were one for the CPS and another for the thermostat. Both were replaced and the engine light has never come back on. So I was a little puzzled when I saw all the codes below come up. The engine was cold. (Been turned off for at least 3 hours.) These codes came out of the log it created.

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> 50/A0 - Power supply, undervoltage

LCM -> Shadow-memory:
34/01 - Brake light, left
3E/01 - Rear fog light faulty
3F/01 - Turn indicator, rear left
40/01 - Turn indicator, rear right
46/01 - Sidelight 3, rear left

ZKE -> Shadow-memory:
8F/21 - Alarm memory: Panic modus was activated

BMBT -> 01/01 - Watchdog reset

XENL -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

XENR -> 2A/01 - Terminal 15 < 7,5 Volt

Okay... I know that the alarm code came from either the dealer activating it for me after I installed the OEM system (Before I bought the scanner!) or from me activating the panic feature to test it when I picked it up. I figure the brake light faults were there either when I used to have issues with the ground before I fixed it or when I tested the new bulbs and lenses I installed a few weeks ago. I am assuming that the undervolt issues were caused when the battery died and I swapped in a new one. Anyway... I tried deleting all codes. They all went away except the ones below...

DME -> Shadow-memory:
5A/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 1, signal line, short circuit to negative
5B/12 - Exhaust temperature before catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative
5D/12 - Exhaust temperature after catalyst, bank 2, signal line, short circuit to negative

SRS -> Shadow-memory:
50/20 - Power supply, undervoltage

I am wondering if the DME codes were thrown because I did this when the engine was cold. I have no idea why the SRS code keeps coimg back. I know that some cars will throw codes just because or at least have a tendency to throw them easily and are nothing to worry about overall. But I do have a few questions...

The CEL doesn't come on to tell me I have thrown a code and the car runs great. But I am curious to learn more about.
1. What do these codes actually mean?
2. Is there a PDF manual somewhere to explain the full functionality of the scanner?

Any help would be appreciated.

See less See more
#809 ·
I just pulled apart my scanner and checked the pins. Mine are like yours. Its actually pins 7 & 8 on ours which are soldered together.

I'm not sure whats going wrong with your setup, it may be because your running on the 64bit version, I don't know. Mines runs fine as it is on Vista 32bit.

#830 ·
Well, after following the instructions, the green light on the scanner also came on but the dreaded "not plugged in" was still present. Are pins 1&2 supposed to be soldered as well as 7&8? I am thinking that because I soldered them on the advice of others, I may have done something wrong. :impulss:

#831 ·
I don't know where the 1&2 pins soldering comes from... looking at the pin outs and numbering on the device, 1&2 are not soldered on my device and after not running the scan on key position 2 everything works ok for me. According to your pics, your device internals look the sample as mine.

Sent from my V9 using Bimmer App

#832 ·
I just got mine from xcar360 and it worked fine out of the box. If you just got it I wouldn't think you'd need to modify it.

I've used mine on Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Win 7 Starter 32 bit. What do you see in your device manager? Does it see BMW Scanner under Universal Serial Bus controllers or anywhere else? Any exclamation or question marks?

#835 ·
Replaced flap motor and fsr and still getting same errors after running pa soft 1.4.....any ideas why I'm still getting flap errors and HVAC error?

#850 ·
Lmfao

#856 ·
:wow:, did this thread ever stray off topic. While everyone is present, could someone help me out with these codes and point me in the right direction? I would sincerely appreciate it.

So far I have trickle charged the battery and it is now fully charged as it was very low when I did the initial scan. Should I erase the error codes and perform another scan?

Thanks

#864 ·
The only worrying screenshot is the first one.

2nd says your AUC sensor, which decides whether or not to recirculate air through the vents automatically, is faulty. Non critical component, and is located right in the front near the grills. Could it be unplugged? Maybe, start searching and check to see exactly what I'm talking about.

3rd says you have the alarm activated but not all the sensors for it. Anyone who's done my alarm mod has this code.

#865 · (Edited)
Here are my screen shots,

Any thoughts???

Sent from my HTC One V using Bimmer App

Attachments

#874 ·
I don't think any dealer is concerned with PA Soft. It's a free publicly available download. This program is so old most have to source a 7 year old laptop just to run it on XP,or jump through hoops trying to get it to work in some compatibilty mode. But you already actually read the whole thread before posting and knew that already....right? :confused:

#880 ·
Speaking of scanners I just bought myself a BMW & MINI iCarsoft Multi-System Diagnostic Scanner 1997 - 2011 Models hand held jobby. Cost £95. Might seem expensive but I have spent three times that in the last 6 months by having the garage plug it in to their computer. They routinely charge £30 - £50 (plus tax) just to do this. So when I got yet another CEL and misfire I bought the scanner online. Took two days to arrive. I plugged it into the port and wrote down the fault codes before clearing them and driving to the garage. I didn't tell them about my scanner and let them plug it into theirs again so that I could compare their output with mine. Exactly the same. They replaced an O2 sensor bank 2 behind the CAT which sorted the problem out. So I now have confidence in my new scanner. In future I will do my own diagnosis, buy the part and get them to fit it. I bought my scanner <a href="http://www.bavariandominator.co.uk/pages/BMW_MINI_iCarsoft_Multi_System_Diagnostic_Scanner_1997_2011_Models_149836-z=443531&p=61164.cfm">Here</a>

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.