E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Parking brake

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SC4R27 
#1 ·
My indy shop can't seem to make my parking work correctly. My pb works down hill but not up hill (it rolls backwards). Here's what we've done so far:
1) replaced the shoes
2) adjusted the cables so that it pulls tight
3) repaced the "expanding lock" . The old one was frozen so when we took it out we thought that that was def it, but it was not.

Where do we go from here from your experience? The shop is reluctant to give me my money back and said he would consult with another shop.

Thanks

#5 ·
Rotors are fairly new so I would rule that out.
It is tough to turn the wheel when up in the air but the only test is when parking on a hill it rolls back. Nothing really checks out.
I was considering replacing the pb hardware but not sure yet as the springs/components look fine. I'm curious as to what the shop comes back with as an alternative solution today as he said he would call by today.

#8 ·
Yes we tightened it from the wheel first then from the cabin...

We are going to check if the shoes were put on correctly. They are claiming I might have put shoes on wrong.. If I made this mistake, why would the parking brake work downhill but not up hill??

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App

#9 ·
You guys were right it was a bad rotor. The rotors had a grove in it and the shoes were worn. Not sure what happened but somehow there was friction going on to cause this as the rotorss and shoes were no more than a yr old.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Bimmer App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.