E46 Fanatics Forum banner

Supercharge or engine swap

4K views 28 replies 18 participants last post by  patrickmurray2 
#1 · (Edited)
So the time as come for me to change racing classes and move up!
My reliable 325i needs some more power but I can't part with her after all we have been through. I would like to either supercharge the m54 with a stage 2 from ess OR swap in an s54. The s54 path with cost significantly more but the possibilities are endless after that. I know I will have to change the transmission and rear end with an s54. So what are everyone's opinions? I have considered a built engine but I currently don't have a full race team that will rebuild the engine after every race and never will, nor do I want to hassle with boring and stroking and engine. I feel like my 2 paths are the most realistic but keep I'm mind this is a track dedicated car, although I do drive it on the streets occasionally

#4 ·
I don't want a non BMW engine in my BMW ha. I'm kinda prejudice about other engines in my car but good thought. Yes traction control does help but would I have to eliminate that?

#7 ·
S54 FTW! it gives you unlimited options. it's one of the best engines ever built (motor trend motor of the year for many years) and it fits into our cars, what more could you ask for?

wont run as good? i dont understand

#8 ·
I would sell and buy an m3. So many additional advantages (brakes, suspension, etc)

Coming from a guy installing an AA stage 2 in a car with 135k lol

#9 ·
this is turning into a "buy an m3" thread.
He didnt list buying an m3 as an option...
also the m3 "additional advantages" fit onto the non-m chasis, so you can swap the complete rear, stearing everything!

#11 ·
But making that swap is insanely expensive... If you already have a ton of mods, maybe it makes sense.. But if the op doesn't already have suspension, brakes, etc it won't make sense to swap it all over.

Also, there are a ton of threads about how fi on a non m isn't really a good idea. So perhaps put in the s54

#12 ·
I don't want to buy an m3, I already have a better suspension the. A stock m3 as we'll as a brembo bbk. In my cars form now I can keep up with an m3 in the corners not just the straights, I need the extra power. I have controlled all the other variables

#20 ·
I see something about racing classes... you really want to do a supercharger on the track?

#22 ·
I'm glad someone touched on this. I'm inexperienced with fi on track cars, I do know they tend to run hotter or fluctuate in temperature more during prolonged intensive driving ie. tracking. But it is an alternative to an engine swap. The ess as we'll as aa kits have good low end power so no lag is involved.

#24 ·
To everyone telling me to get an m3.... If I was to sell my car and buy a new "track" one, there is no doubt I would by a 2007 z4m coupe. Same s54, much better style and chassis. The thing is there are only less then 2000 ever made....

#25 ·
Cali, have you considered doing an S85 Swap into your E46 chassis? there is an S85 with its 6 speed for sale. THAT would be Insane on the track!

#26 ·
That would definitely be mean and the sound is so amazing... But that project with be upwards of $30k

#29 ·
If you have the money and yiu really want to keep your car do the s54 but if not the m54 is a pretty nice jump from the 325i motor :thumbup: the s54 will be more money ofcouse because you will probably need to reinforce the subframe and im sure theres some other things you need to do. Buying a m3 would be the easiest route but I know how you feel about parting ways with your car, goodluck with your decision:thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.